Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Sharpshooter Memoirs ❯ Prologue - Fate ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I own nothing in this fic. Not even the concepts; I'm only writing it for fun.

The main point of this fic is to focus on the most underrated character of all Final Fantasy history (well, in the last 4 games or so): Irvine Kinneas. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of his character (on the whole), so this is basically my interpretation of the life, personality and mind-set of the cowboy. It also focuses a lot on his relationship with Selphie, so consider this to be one long Selvine fic (yeay!). it's also told from Irvine's POV, so I hope I get it alright; it's incredibly difficult to get inside of his mind and figure out what's going on in there. But, anywho, enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Currently Untitled

~Prologue~

Have you ever, like, really stopped and just thought about life?

I really didn't; not until recently, anyway. And let me tell you, it's a real trip, thinking back on all the "old times", all the past experiences that really seem no more real than faded dreams. But everyone likes to remember things. The good stuff, anyway, and it's never very pleasant when we can't remember something, no matter how clear it may have once been. I hate to brag, but I have to say, that out of anyone I know, I don't think anyone fully appreciates the precious value of a memory more than myself. They were, after all, what changed my life and brought me to where I am today. And for that I am forever grateful.

And I stop and wonder if there is such a thing as fate, of some unseen divine force that apparently guides us through life on some magical road that was planned out years before our times. There are some times when I think yeah, sure, maybe we were all put on this earth to do something specific one time or another. But I guess that's the frame of mind you take on when out of millions of people in the world, you're one of the chosen few to save it. Then I think back on all the smaller things that happen; the events that seemed small and insignificant at the time, but then you realize what a huge impact it makes later. That's when I start thinking no way, nothing, and I mean nothing, has the power to make those sorts of predictions in life. It's one of those issues that gives you a headache if you try to work it out, but still, I can't help but wonder…

Where would I be if things in my life did not happen at the exact moment that it did?

What if everything in life happened for a reason?

Well, if that is the case, then I have two words for whatever force drives it:

Thank you.