Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Skye Chronicles ❯ Troubles of the Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 1: Troubles of the Past
Their swords clashed, their sweat dripped, but neither of them would give up. Adam slashed, but Ben blocked it, and struck back. Adam held his blade ready, but Ben sheathed his own.
“What are you doing?” Adam asked him, anger rising in his voice.
“Attack,” Ben said plainly. Adam stood there, thinking of a way out. He found no other way to show his superiority, he charged at Ben. Ben dove to the left, and crouched to the ground. Adam tried to swing his enormous sword at him, but due to it’s weight, Ben was already out of the way again.
“Draw your sword, before I have to hurt you,” Adam said.
“Maybe you should attack faster, or you won’t be able to hurt me,” Ben said. Adam leapt forward, and slashed at Ben. Ben moved back quickly, and rolled between Adam’s legs, and stood right behind him. Adam spun around trying to hit Ben, but Ben jumped back, and they stood again, facing each other. Adam was tiring, and Ben could see it. “Why do you carry that ridiculous thing?” Ben asked him, trying to make him waste more of his energy talking.
“It’s lucky,” Adam said, swinging at him again. Ben easily dodged, but Adam shifted all of his energy into moving the sword back. Ben pulled back, and narrowly missed the sword. He drew his weapon, and stabbed forward, stopping inches in front of Adam’s chest.
“And that is why you shouldn’t use that ridiculous thing,” Ben told him.
“Yeah, you win this round,” Adam said, shoving Ben’s blade away. They both sheathed their weapons, bowed to each other, and then went to a rock near them to rest. They sat there for about five minutes, silently, and then Ben stood up.
“We really should get back to the feast,” Ben said. The sky was slowly darkening around them, and from the mountain that they often fought on, they could see the torches of a party. Their hometown of Tral was having a celebration, because six citizens had been entered into the final round of the most famous fighting tournament in their country.
Adam, Ben, and Princess Lyane, their friend who was the next heir to the throne of Tral, had been entered in the junior tournament for people under twenty-five. Mr. James, Mr. Smith, and the king had all been entered in the adults tournament.
Because of their accomplishments, Mr. James had decided to take Adam as his apprentice, Mr. Smith had decided to pick Ben, and the king decided to teach his daughter the royal magic.
“Yeah, I guess,” Adam said.
“Tomorrow we end our days of useless fighting for a path of the apprentices,” Ben said. They both walked over to the cliff’s edge, so they could climb down, but the ground beneath them began to shake. They felt it shake, and tried to run back, but it began to collapse. They felt themselves sliding, and the rocks around them falling around them, and then they both blacked out.

·jj
·
·Adam suddenly jerked awake. He had a bandage around his head, and a few others on his arms and legs. He looked around, and saw that he was in a hospital bed. There was a nurse standing about three beds down, while Mr. James and Mr. Smith stood at the door. He closed his eyes, and slowly fell back asleep. After awhile, he felt something poking him. He opened his eyes, and saw that Mr. James was standing over him.
·“Adam, are you okay?” he asked. His normally alert face now drooped as if he hadn’t slept in days, and his regularly straight brown hair was messy.
·“Yeah,” Adam said, raising his arm to scratch his head. “What happened to Ben?” Adam asked.
·“He already got out, that one’s reflexes are amazing, he managed to grab both of you, and ride most of the way down the mountain on a large rock, but then about half of the mountain caved, and now that mountain isn’t much of a mountain,” Mr. James told him.
·“Are you okay?” Adam heard a voice say from his left. Ben walked in, and was now standing across the room.
·“Yeah, the rocks broke the fall,” Adam said. Ben laughed.
·“You’ve been in here for almost a week,” Ben told him.
·“Wow, that long, ow,” Adam said. As he was turning over, he had hit a bad bruise.
·“Rest, we’re out of the tournament, Lyane won,” Ben told him.
·“You’re out? Why?” Adam asked.
“I quit, I was waiting for you to get better, now rest,” Ben said. Adam fell back asleep.
Converting /tmp/phpIdrBZ1 to /dev/stdout