Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Skye Chronicles ❯ Fighting Class ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 2: Fighting Class

It was summer of the 199th year of the third age. Three years after the mishap in the mountains
“Mr. Kolster, we are having a tournament today. Ben, Princess Lyane, a traveler named Dan, and you will have one-on-one fights until there is a champion,” Adam’s teacher, Mr. James, said. He was sitting at Mr. James house, as he did just about every day when he wasn’t learning a lesson.
Sometimes, he would even come over on days when there weren’t lessons, weekends, and fight in the practice room, perfecting his techniques. “You may have a free day, but come back at 2:00, please,” he told Adam.
“Yes sir. Thank you,” said Adam.
“Goodbye,” said Mr. James.
“Bye,” said Adam.
In two seconds, he was already down the dirt street. He ran over to his friend Ben’s house, intent on finding him. He knocked on the door and shouted, “Ben! Where are you?”
Nobody answered, so he figured that Ben’s mother was at work in Northern Tral. But now that he thought of it, he’d never even seen Ben’s mother before.
He ran all the way to Ben’s sword teacher, Mr. Smith’s house, and knocked on the door. Mr. Smith had a large house, but it was deteriorating, and creaky.
A soft, but cold voice yelled, “Come in.” Adam eased open the rickety door and walked in. “Ben still has one more lesson today,” Adam heard a voice say from a door at his left. He opened up the door and saw Ben and Mr. Smith having a practice fight in the dim room beyond.
“May I watch while I wait, Mr. Smith?” Adam asked, trying to be polite.
“Whatever,” Mr. Smith replied. “Now, our last lesson for today is special abilities. How many special abilities do you have Adam?”
“I have two that I made myself, why? Adam asked.
“No reason. Now here is the first special ability I learned. Adam, could you help us please? You’re using the same type of sword that Mr. James was using when I used this against him,” Mr. Smith told him.
“Sure,” Adam said. He was a little afraid of what might happen if he declined.
“Okay, go put the practice armor on, and just use defensive techniques,” Mr. Smith told them. He walked over to the other side of the room, and took up his sword in his left hand.
“You think you can beat two people with the Zen style? That’s used for fighting one person and taking them down quickly. That won’t work!” Adam shouted across the room.
“You shouldn’t talk to a sword master that way, unlike Mr. James, I can hurt you,” Mr. Smith replied, his voice not changing pitch..
“Okay, then I’ll use the Draa style,” Adam whispered.
“And I’ll use the Kyone style,” Ben whispered back. Mr. Smith charged forward, and Adam dug the front of his sword into the dirt floor. Ben held his sword the opposite way of Mr. Smith and waited for him to come.
As Mr. Smith got closer, Adam ducked so he wouldn’t get hit. Mr. Smith ran up Adam’s blade, did a front flip, and then slashed both of them across their backs before they even realized what had happened.
Then, as he ran to the other side of the room, he turned his head back, stuck out his left hand, and out of it came green rockets that left trails as they crossed the room. They looked amazing, at least until Adam felt their explosive power.
They hit the ground near Adam and Ben and exploded. The blast knocked them back to the other side of the room, and as Mr. Smith walked forward, they tried to get up.
“Don’t worry. I’m done,” Mr. Smith told them, and they immediately fell back down and just laid there for a few minutes. After awhile, Mr. Smith walked over and helped them up. They took off their armor and then Mr. Smith said,
“Now, tonight I want you to have an idea ready for a special ability and then I will make a crystal for it.” Ben nodded his head, and then put his sword away, and so did Adam. “You may leave. Come back at 2:00,” Mr. Smith told him.
“Okay, bye,” Ben said, and then walked out of Mr. Smith’s training area. As they walked out, they passed the kitchen and saw Mrs. Smith making a delicious feast for the tournament. “Hello, Mrs. Smith,” Ben said, looking over.
“Hello boys! Going off to practice in the mountains again?” she said to them.
“Yeah, probably,” Adam told her. He peered into the kitchen, and saw a turkey, and other delicious foods sitting on the table. They smelled incredible, and he couldn’t wait until the tournament where they could eat.
“Well, be careful,” she said to them.
“We will. Bye!” Adam said to her.
“Bye!” she told them. They walked out the front door, and then walked toward the edge of town.
“Should we go up to the mountain?” Ben asked Adam. They both looked at each other, and then looked up toward the mountain.
“I’ll race you,” Adam said to him. “Ready?”
“One,” Ben said slowly.
“Two,” Adam said next.
“Three!” they both said together, and they were off like the wind, speeding toward the mountain. The mountain was about one-fourth of a mile away from town so they ran a short distance, and the mountain wasn’t very steep, so they had to run more than half-way up it. Once they started to climb the steep face, they were getting tired. Adam had a slight lead, but his hands wouldn’t hold on to the rocks.
One of his hands slipped, and he partially fell off. He was holding on to a ridge by one hand, and his other hand went to his back, and he pulled out his sword. It was very heavy, and he could barely get it out, but once he did, he quickly stuck it in the rocks above his head, and climbed up. He was getting close to the top now, and once he was up a little further, he used his sword as a foothold, and hoisted himself up.
Ben helped pull him up, and Adam reached down and pulled his sword out. Ben had obviously won, but that didn’t matter. The only thing that really mattered was the fight. They got to the plateau where they often practiced and both walked over to a rock, and sat down.

Converting /tmp/phpYTOhtq to /dev/stdout