Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Unforgivable Sinner ❯ Retrieving a friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ø5. Retrieving a friend
Ghosts and memories from the past flickered non-stop in front of Vincents eyes the entire trip back to Rocket Town.
He wasn't feeling better after learning that Tifa and Rufus had been caught too, and their attempt to save Vincent had ended in Tifa getting seriously injured at the mansion. How Vincent hated that house. It was like it represented everything bad in his life. Whenever he went near that cursed mansion it ended badly.
If Tifa didn't get better, Vincent would never forgive himself. Another life destroyed by him. Not Hojo, but him. It had always been Vincent.
He did do the mistake of thinking how things couldn't get worse, and they entered the town to find the tire tracks leading to Cid's house. The former Turk got a bad feeling at once, seeing the airship gone.
A distraught Shera revealed that soldiers had appeared right after Cloud and the group's departure, and had brought the unwilling Cid with them along with the airship. Vincent swayed and nearly fell to his knees when Cloud grasped his arm.
"You should get some rest," Cloud declared silently, shaking his head at the objection in the ruby eyes. "You're no use to us in this state, Vincent. Rest up. I'll inform you later, ok?"
Shera cleared her throat, "take the guest room, Vincent..."
Typical her to be in immense pain herself and still worry about others, Vincent thought tiredly, then barely managed a nod. He was so worn out. He knew Cloud was right. Making his way upstairs, Vincent closed the door quietly behind him and shed his cape.
His skin was still damp, and there was a chill in his bones. It had been many years since Vincent Valentine had felt cold, but this was an unnatural kind. His very blood and marrow felt chilled. Cold from the inside. He undid his bandana and removed his shirt as well, placing his clothes neatly on a chair for them to dry. His metal boots was removed as well, and after a slight hesitation Vincent decided to shed his pants as well. They were still soaked with the green liquid that had invaded his very skin in that tank. Slipping under the sheets in merely his boxers, Vincent couldn't help a quiet sigh of relief. They felt wonderfully clean and warm against his skin... Maybe he could rest now...? Would Vincent be allowed a little peace...?
-
Rain was still horrified at Cid's abduction, but was relieved to see Cloud and the others return. Yet she started as she saw the state Vincent was in. He quietly went upstairs while the others gathered in the living room.
Fighting against the urge to follow Vincent and ask him if he really was ok, Rain decided to go into the living room as well. Vincent was a man of privacy, so she wasn't too sure her concern would be welcomed. Cloud stood talking to Shera, who'd sunk down on a chair and did her best to explain what had happened, while the others stood slightly dispersed around in the room. The ex-president leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms, finally letting his mind catch up with what he had learned during his and Tifa's capture: Heidegger was rapidly gathering the pieces of the ShinRa empire in a suprisingly clever manner. It was way too smart to be his thinking alone; someone else was behind him again. Rufus shifted uneasily, too deep in thought to remember how the shoulder he was now leaning against the door frame, was actually grazed by a bullet back in Nibelheim. To use him, Tifa and Vincent as bait to lure the others away from Rocket Town also required more cunning thinking then Heidegger was capable of. Who was really behind all of this?
A few minutes later, Cloud turned towards the others and sighed. "They're heading for Midgar..."
Rufus shifted again, not quite liking the nervous feeling he got at the thought of returning to where he almost were killed by that damned WEAPON. "So you're planning to follow? And how do you expect to enter? Heidegger must have the entrances blocked, and they know you're comming!" He finally straightened, taking of the pressure of the wounded shoulder and met the eyes of everyone.
Barret got up from his chair with a threatening look and clenched his fist. "Whad'ya saying? You ain't gonna help?! I'm sure you had dozens of sneak-ways in and out of Midgar as a back-up incase we decided to crash in on ya'll!"
Rufus snorted offended and stuck his chin out as he flicked back a lock of his hair. "Hah! I would never sneak about as a common criminal, unlike you! And as for the possible routes I know into that city, so does Heidegger. That piss ant used to work for me, remember?" He stared rudely at Barret and Cloud quickly stepped in between them.
"Alright. Point taken. But we still need to get into Midgar!" The former SOLDIER gave them each a warning look, before sighing resigned. "Any ideas as to how we're going to achieve that goal?"
Rain come to think of when Sky had smuggled in the chocobo hatchling he gave her for her 15th birthday, gathering her courage before speaking after a short silence;
"I know a way..."
Everybody turned to gaze at the her.
Rufus frowned suspiciously as this was a face he did not know. "Who's that?"
Rain blushed slightly. "My n-name is Rain, Mr ShinRa... I used to work as a waitress in Midgar."
Shera came over and placed a arm around her shoulders, meeting Rufus' eyes with a clear, silent message for him to behave.
The ex-president snorted again, and gesticulated faintly. "And you think this route is somehow miraculously overseen by the ShinRa troops?"
Feeling a little braver, Rain met his eyes as she nodded. "It's been used for years and years by smugglers, and the ShinRa guards have never come near it once." She finally had to look away from his arrogant gaze, still feeling that lifetime-taught awe for the ShinRa presidents.
Cloud glanced around at the others, seeing it as their only option. "What do you say?" He asked, ignoring Yuffies suggestion for a head-on attack.
Barret shrugged; "we ain't got much other choice."
Red lifted his head and nodded slowly. "I say we do it."
Cait Sith nodded as well; "yupp. All or nothing!"
Cloud turned to Rufus and raised his eyebrows.
The ex-president shifted uneasily, feeling the eyes of everyone on him. "Alright! Fine! Whatever!" He muttered and crossed his arms defensively.
Cloud gazed back at Rain and gave a tiny smile. "Ok then, smuggler route it is."
-
It was decided that they stay the night in Rocket Town to give Tifa and Vincent a chance to recover and head out to Midgar early the next day. It was late when Rain finally went upstairs to enter her room. What was that...? Was that a voice...? It was comming from Vincent's room. Maybe he was really sick? Walking over, she knocked gently on the door, "Vincent...?" She got only a muffled sound as response and Rain drew a deep breath before she opened the door. "Vincent, I'm comming in."
Sticking her head in, she saw him curled up under the covers, his long black hair pooling out over the white sheets. Dear Planet, he was truly beautiful...
"Vincent, are you ok...?" Rain asked softly, closing the door behind her before slowly walking towards him.
Vincent squirmed slightly, frowning with pain and distress.
Clearly the man had a fever and she dared a light hand on his damp forhead. A dangerously high fever too.
Suddenly his human hand caught a tight hold of her wrist and feverish eyes were locked on her. "You're not Lucrecia..." Vincent whispered hoarsely, not releasing her.
Rain flinched and swallowed hard, slightly nervous as the fever obviously made him delirious. "N-no, I'm Rain... remember?"
He stared harshly at her for a few seconds, then seemed satisfied and released her to squirm again. "So cold..."
Rain rubbing her tender wrist, . "You have a fever, Vincent..." She gathered her courage again and slowly sat down on the bed, reaching out to touch his bare shoulder. His skin felt ice cold and she felt a tinge of fear. He seemed genuinely distraught over something as well. His unease could also be a part of his sickness, or it did certainly not help! He needed to calm down and warm up...
Vincent breathed strained and shivered, the monsters sliding through his cold veins.
Rain shook her head at her own insanity, then gently called for Vincents attention, "I'm just going to try and warm you up a bit, ok...? Just try to calm down..."
Moving over him, Rain slipped under the sheet as well and moved close to his back, stroking his arm. "Calm down, Vincent..."
She felt him tremble, tense as iron, but he didn't push her away. His skin was cold against her, and she rested her cheek to his shoulderblade. "Everything is ok. Get some sleep, Vincent. It'll make you feel better."
Vincent didn't answer for a while, then she barely heard his voice. "Can't sleep... Nightmares..."
Rain lifted her head to peer down at his pale face, not surprised to see the distant look in his feverish eyes, but the fear was real enough.
Easing down again, Rain inched a little closer, letting her arm rest around him. "No nightmares tonight, Vincent. I wont let them come. Close your eyes. That's it. Relax. Don't worry about a thing. I wont let the nightmares come. You're safe now..."
-
Dawn had yet to break when Vincent slowly returned to the land of the awake, his mind still heavy with drowsiness. He barely remembered getting under the sheets and the nightmares... But, at some point, the nightmares had stopped, hadn't they? He knew he'd been really sick, but usually that wasn't enough for his nightmares to end.
A soft sigh against his chest started him awake and Vincents eyes shot open. Peering over without moving at all, he saw Rain curled up close to him on his left side, her form warm against his. Vincent drew a sharp breath and quickly gazed up at the ceiling again.
What kind of madness was this?!
Her slender arm was lazily across his stomach, her cheek on his shoulder and Vincent was horrified to find his metal arm around her waist, holding her close to him.
How had this happened?! Had the fever made him loose his mind and control?!
It simply wasn't possible! Vincent Valentine was not the type to wake up in situations like this!
When Rain sleepily clutched him closer and he felt her bare leg sliding over his, it made Vincent bolt upstraight into a sitting position.
Landing abruptly on the mattress, the woman blinked in confusion and gazed around. When her eyes landed on Vincents flustered face, Rain's eyes widened and her face turned an even deeper red.
She'd fallen asleep?!
If Rain hadn't been ready to die of embarrassment, she might have giggled at the sight of the usually so calm and collected Vincent Valentine. He looked ready to yank the sheet up under his chin and scream.
"I'm sorry," Rain mumbled, sitting up as well while cutting off a yawn. "You were so sick last night and told me you were cold."
Vincent nodded, staring at her, "I see..." It had been purely platonic? Good!
Giving him a troubled look, Rain tilted her head. "You had a nightmare...?"
Tensing, Vincent gazed away, "I told you that as well...?" How much had he really told her?
"You couldn't sleep because of the nightmares you said..." Rain told him softly, aching to reach out and touch his skin again. Suddenly he seemed so distant again.
Vincent glanced over at her with a hard look. "Sleep is not to be had for the likes of me." He got up and quickly found his pants, awkwardly aware of her eyes.
"Who is Lucrecia?" The second Rain asked the question, she realised at once that she'd touched something Vincent guarded fiercly from the quick glare he sent her.
"Is there something I didn't reveal last night?" The former Turk sneered, fastening his pants with agitated movements.
"Yes," Rain stretched out on the mattress again before rolling over on her side to face him, resting her head on her arm. "You never told me who she was. Clearly she means something to you. Your girlfriend?"
Vincent grabbed his shirt. "Once. Then she passed away."
Paling, Rain sat up. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Vincent! I didn't mean to..."
Softening slightly, Vincent met her eyes as he pulled on his shirt, "Thank you for your concern about securing me my rest, Rain, but I'm alright now."
Rain tried a smile, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. "You sure about that? You looked ready to faint when you found me here!"
"Ah." Vincent almost looked a bit sheepish. "Merely caught off-guard. It doesn't happen that often."
"Being caught off-guard or finding crazed, stalking women in your bed?" Rain felt a little braver, and was relieved to see the faint smile on Vincents lips.
"Both," he admitted, then picked up his bandana, placed his cape over his arm and got his boots as well, leaving the room quietly.
Rain turned to more or less dive into his pillow and inhale deeply. Then she broke into giggles. Embarrassing much?
-
When Cloud and the others got ready to leave the next day, Shera declared that she was going with them. "Don't worry about me, Mr Strife. I know how to use Materia and I'm not so foolish that I will seek out danger, but do not doubt that I'm comming with you."
Tifa had to smile and merely shrugged at Clouds pleading look.
Vincent had exhaled a soft sigh of relief to see Tifa up and about again. The injuries had been healed with Cure materia and the rest had restored her almost completely.
"Alright..." Cloud sighed, but gave Shera a warning glance, "but you stay out of trouble and keep in the back!"
Rufus snorted despicably and glared over at the former SOLDIER. "Some leader..."
Cloud barely managed to keep from losing his temper over the obnoxious boy, and clenched his jaw furiously as he turned to address the others; "Alright... everybody here? Then we're off!"
Before anyone could object; he stalked off.
Rain settled to walk with Shera, telling herself to stop gazing after Vincent. "You sure about this, Shera? I know you're worried about Cid, but this is dangerous..."
Nodding, Shera still looked pale, "I'm sure. I have to know. Have to see him."
Knowing her friend might appear fragile, Rain knew Shera also had a will of iron. If she'd set her mind on something, there was no way to change it.
The road to Midgar seemed to go on forever, and if it not for the gloomy mood; their camping by fire would have been rather nice.
Instead the concern for Cid lay thick in the air, and Rain wondered if she'd ever see the blonde pilot again. She'd grown dangerously fond of him, even his horrible cursing! Smiling weakly, she glanced around and saw her own worries reflected in the faces of the others.
The next day, they finally saw Midgar in the distance.
"We're here..." Cloud declared as he halted on a hill-top and glanced back at the others.
"About frigging time!" Barret wheezed and waved his gun-arm angrily.
The former SOLDIER frowned as he studied the group. "We need to get a change of clothes..."
Rufus face jerked up to glare at Cloud. "What are you talking about?" The young ex-president stared defiantly at him with his usual self-confidence and bright white suit.
Too tired to care, Shera merely sat down on a rock as the arguing began and gazed nervously at the gloomy Midgar.
Rain reached out to touch Shera's shoulder, feeling her anxiety growing by each step they took closer to Midgar. Fighting was not something Shera did every other day. Even Rain felt uneasy herself, but counted on AVALANCHE to deal with whatever trouble came their way. She certainly hoped so anyway...
Shera glanced tiredly up as Cloud and Rufus stood sneering to each other and returned Rain's weak smile.
With a lot of sour objections, even the former president of ShinRa had to give in and at least cover himself with a brown cape to cover up the trademark suit and the others found simular anonymous outfits.
"Alright," Cloud said absently, "let's go..."
-
As they were close enough, Rain motioned them to follow her. She remembered well the entrance, but was worried if the smugglers would allow her to bring strangers through it. Hell, they knew her well enough to trust her that much! And who would dare to say no to Sky's sister?
Seeing the two guards, who appeared as two drunks sleeping off their hang-over, Rain made sign for the group to wait while she walked over to the two men.
"Just let me do the talking," Rain said in a low voice and made her way over.
Vincent watched her leave, absently placing his hand on his shot-gun. He didn't trust anyone and he did now feel he owed her something. Unable to explain exactly what he felt he owed her or why, Vincent knew the men would be dead before they hit the ground if they tried to hurt Rain.
He would have done it for anyone in the group, but wasn't aware of how intently he watched the scruffy looking men's movements...
A few minutes later, Rain waved them over and the two men glared suspiciously at the group, but said nothing.
"Are you sure this isn't some trap?" Rufus asked cautiously as they approached the tunnel
Vincent glanced over at him with a undefinable look. "She wont betray us."
Rufus appeared about to object, but Vincent sent him a harsh look. He would not have the young man question the woman who risked her life to aid people she just learned to know.
Rufus closed his mouth, which lasted for a few seconds, then he began to complain about the horrible state of the tunnel.
It was no wonder the ShinRa soldiers hadn't noticed it; it was barely an excuse for a tunnel and the smell was too horrible to explain!
The walls were more made of mud and mould than wood and concrete, and their only source of light were the lamp Cloud held high.
Rufus shuddered as they were wading in water combined with the Planet knew what up to their ankles and the smell were barely tolerable.
After about 15 minutes, Cloud turned and signaled them to be quiet.
He handed the light over to Barret and carefully peeked out a hole in the door they'd reached. "I think we're in sector 5...!"
Rain nodded, remembering vaguely that it was correct. Sky used to piggy-backride her to sector 5, and they would play rock-paper-scissors until the men from the outside world would arrive with the packages for Sky.
Cloud turned back to the others and made sure his long coat covered his sword that hung low on his back; "we should split up so that we don't draw that much attention."
Vincent nodded and checked Death Penalty before putting it back in it's holster; "I agree. How should we divide?"
Taking a quick overlook, Cloud sighed; "Me, Barret, Yuffie and Red will go as the group that'll go after Cid."
Shera glanced up and took a step forward; "Please, Mister Strife, let me come too!"
Cloud shook his head; "Forget it, Shera. You promised to keep out of trouble and stay in the back! Second group will be Vincent, Rain, and Shera; you'll make sure our escape-route stays open. I trust you to keep them safe, Vincent"
The former Turk nodded solemnly, while Sheras shoulders sank in disappointment.
Cloud cleared his throat and hesitatingly met Tifas eyes; "Final group; Tifa, Rufus and Cait Sith, you'll come with us as a back-up and you ShinRa should know where they would keep Cid." Rufus straightened slightly, but refrained from saying anything. "Alright, let's mosey." Cloud declared before the gang split up.
-
The others left while Vincent motioned for Rain and Shera to take cover by a huge metal plate stuck in the ground.
Rain wanted to talk, wanted to say something to keep herself from having a nervous break-down, but Shera seemed a million miles away and Vincent was busy scouting for dangers.
Sighing, Rain leaned back and closed her eyes to wait... and wait...
Suddenly an alarm began to howl impossibly loud and Vincent tensed. Obviously Cloud and the others had been discovered.
Glancing over at the two frightened women, the former Turk knew he couldn't leave them to help either. He had his mission here, and the others were skilled fighters.
Vincent drew a deep breath when the first soldiers came running, hoping they wouldn't see them, but knew it was hoping in vain.
Like he suspected, the soldiers began to do a thorough sweep of the area, and Vincent decided to take advantage of the element of surprise while he still had it.
"Stay down, ok?" He ordered quietly to Rain and Shera, who nodded meekly to him.
Then Vincent pulled out Death Penalty and let the first shot fly...
Soon guns were fired from every angle, and explosions shook the ground, but Vincent remained calm.
The only thing that worried him was to get the women out safely and if they had managed to get Cid before the alarm went off or if it had been too late.
His gloomy thoughts were interrupted as Cid nearly crashed into the former Turk and grinned relived. "Vince! How nice of ya to keep the door open!"
Vincent merely focused grimly on holding the soldiers on a distance and didn't even acknowledge the arrival of Barret, Red and Yuffie.
The pilot puffed thoughtfully on his cigarette as he scouted around. "Where's Spikey?"
No sooner had the words been spoken before Cloud came stumbling into Barret, who easily took a hold of his neck to steady him. "Found'im!"
Vincent reloaded the Death Penalty without looking at anyone, but his words were addressed to Cid; "Get them out of here."
The blonde man blinked confused, but then his eyes focused on the two women in the back.
Almost as pale as Vincent, and clearly as tired as when Vincent had been plucked out of the tank in Nibelheim, the pilot still had the strength to roar furiously; "Shera!"
His furious voice easily carried over the gun-shots along with grenade-explosions, and she snapped her face up by habit and her eyes widened. "C-Captain!" Relief rushed through Shera as she saw him standing in front of her and it took her several seconds to notice his angry pose and shrunk under his gaze.
Cid shook his head to emphasize his fury and gesticulated faintly with his free hand. "What the flying $#& are you thinkin'?! Are ya dead-set on getting yerself killed, woman?!"
Shera forced herself to swallow and regain her voice; "I-I'm sorry, Captain... "
Rain frowned, understanding Cid's reaction, but he was a little too harsh! As always...
The pilot muttered curses that would've made an old sailor blush, grasped her wrist and yanked her to her feet. "No, but ya $� will be! Now, stay close and try not to #&$ mess up this time!" He turned to say the same to Rain when another explosion hit and this time the debris that rained down were big enough to crush a man and Cid barely managed to pull Shera with him away from where a huge iron plate crashed to the ground.
Rain drew a sharp breath as she saw the wreckage fall towards her, frozen like a deer in headlights, and she realised she was going to die.
Then something yanked her aside and she heard an impossibly loud explosion, dust too thick to breathe in flew up and the ground came greeting towards her.
Then everything turned into silence.