Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Until The Day I Die: A Squikku and Tiduna Story ❯ Saving Rikku ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER 5: SAVING RIKKU

Disasterrific? Was that even a word? Obviously it was to Rikku, and that also meant that she must be in big trouble under there. Squall looked up at the big sand fiend angrily, he didn't have much time before Rikku's oxygen would be cut off under the sand. She probably had to fight off some fiends down there, which meant he had even less time to defeat this monster. This is why he liked working alone. All he had to do was worry about himself, he could take care of himself too. But now he had Rikku to worry about, and having alittle bit of time was not helping him and his worries.
The giant sand fiend swayed from side to side, expecting Squall to attack, and ready to dodge it. 'This isn't only a fiend, it's a machina.' Squall thought, walking slowly to the left, holding his gunblade tightly, 'which means it must've been built smart enough to dodge and counter attacks.' The fiend got tired of waiting for him to make the first move, quickly moving towards him. Squall quickly moved out the way, slashing the right side of it's head as he did so. It cried out in pain and hissed angrily at him. 'You're going too slow, Squall, we need to speed this up or Rikku'll suffocate.' He thought, charging after it.
Rikku quickly hit a fiend in mid-air as it tried pouncing on her. She's already took out the majority but these things just don't give up. She sighed, wiping sweat from her forehead. It was getting really hot and the air in the little space was so humid and dry that she could hardly breathe. "Oh poopie!" She muttered as she watched more fiends approach her, "don't you guys ever give up? I'm dieing here!" The fiends didn't seem to care as they came closer, growling and hissing. Rikku prepared herself for more fighting but things were starting to get dizzy, "SQUALL! HURRY, PLEASE!" She yelled before the fiends charged towards her.

MT. GAGAZET
"Kimahri!" Yuna yelled, running through the snow and into the big Ronso's arms for a hug, "I've missed you sooo much!"
"Kimahri has missed Yuna a lot too." Kimahri smiled, "Kimahri is also happy that Yuna was choosen for this mission. Kimahri wouldn't want anyone else to help him."
Yuna smiled up at him, "No problem, Tidus and I will get rid of those mean fiends, and Rikku says 'hi.'"
"Kimahri says 'hi' back." Kimahri smiled, looking past Yuna at Tidus. Tidus looked uncomfortable and was waiting nervously for Yuna to introduce him to her old friends.
Yuna turned around to see what he was looking at, spotting Tidus standing by himself, looking around. She smiled, thinking how adorable he looked when he was nervous. He's always been adorable to her, until he opens his mouth and says something stupid. "Tidus, come over here!" She smiled warmly to him. He looked at her in shock and shook his head.
"Is Yuna's friend not right in the head?" Kimahri asked, looking at Yuna with concern.
"No, he's just shy." Yuna smiled, "wait here, I'll get him." She ran off towards Tidus.
Tidus watched as Yuna ran towards him with a smile. He knew what that smile meant, she was amused to see him uncomfortable. He didn't like meeting new people. Especially ones that were really big with sharp teeth and claws. That was more of Squall's thing, he didn't mind to socialize with anyone as long as it was for a mission. As much as Tidus hated to admit it, he was a very shy person.
Yuna grabbed Tidus's arm, dragging him towards Kimahri. "Come on, Tidus! Stop being so rude!" She said.
Tidus stopped, causing Yuna to stop too. "I'm not being rude, Yuna," he replied, looking at the Ronsos, "It's just...he's not gonna eat me is he?"
Yuna looked at him, his expressions completely serious. She began laughing, 'Ok, maybe he is still adorable when he says something stupid.' Yuna thought, watching Tidus look at her, confused.
"Kimahri's not gonna eat you, Tidus," She smiled, trying to hold back her laughter, "he's a big sweetheart." She began dragging him towards Kimahri again, "Plus he said you don't look tasty."
"Not funny, Yuna." Tidus replied as they walked up to Kimahri. Kimahri looked down at Tidus, examining him carefully.
"Kimahri, this is Tidus. He's one of my new friends from school. He'll be helping too." Yuna said, pushing Tidus more towards Kimahri.
Tidus tensed and looked up at Kimahri nervously, "Um...hi, there. Nice to meet you."
Kimahri didn't reply, he just stared at Tidus some more, then at Yuna, and back to Tidus. He sensed Yuna really liked this boy, and even though he barely knew the boy, he sensed that the boy cared a lot for Yuna. That was good enough for Kimahri.
Kimahri smiled widely, showing a lot of sharp teeth, "Kimahri is pleased to meet Tidus." He said, extending a furry hand for Tidus to shake.
Tidus smiled, relaxing, as he shook Kimahri's hand, "Thank you, Kimahri. What would you like us to do for you?"
"There has been a lot of fiends terrorizing Ronsos, Kimahri would appreciate it if Tidus and Yuna got rid of them."
"Anything for you, Kimahri." Yuna said, pulling out her guns.
"Yeah," Tidus agreed as Yuna smiled at him, "Just show us the way!"

BIKANEL DESERT
Squall heard Rikku's panicked scream and quickened his pace. He waited till the head was low enough for him to jump on top, trying not to fall off. It may be a machina, but it was still a fiend too, which meant without certain body parts it'll be helpless.
He quickly stabbed it in on eye, holding on as it moved around, crying in pain. 'Hold on, Rikku, I'm almost done.' He thought, running to attack the other eye. He reached it, quickly slashing it out. The fiend cried out in pain, thrashing it's head back as Squall jumped off it's head, landing on the ground.
He aimed his sword up, waiting for the fiend to bring it's head back down. It did just as he thought, his blade slashing it's throat. It quickly collapsed, dead.
Squall quickly pushed it aside, digging under it to get to Rikku. He jumped in a hole and spotted her fighting the fiends.
"Rikku!" He called out. She stopped and looked at him, smiling, "Squa-" She quickly collapsed from exhaustion. The fiends began jumping on her. He quickly aimed his blade at them, shooting them down while running towards her unconscious body.
He pushed the dead fiends out his way as he cradled Rikku in his arms. He felt her head, she was sweating badly. He was actually glad that she did wear little clothing, if she would've covered herself up like he said she should she could've died from exhaustion quickly.
"Hang on, Rikku. I'm gonna get you out of here." He pleaded, picking her up and holding her in his arms. He slowly and carefully climbed out the hole. Quickly running to his bag and pulling out the water jug he brought with him. Placing Rikku on the floor, he opened the jug and poured water on her head. She stirred alittle but didn't wake up. "Come on, please be ok." He said, tipping the jug to her mouth for her to drink. She responded alittle, taking little sips.
"Is someone out there?" He heard a voice yell. Squall turned to see two men walk towards him. "Over here!" He yelled, hoping they had at least a first aid kit with them. The two men ran towards him, noticing Rikku. "Is she ok?" One asked. "No, we need cures...now." Squall responded, looking at Rikku.

MT. GAGAZET
Yuna and Tidus followed the map Kimahri gave them, travelling up a huge mountain. Yuna sensed that something was wrong with Tidus. She wanted to ask him what, but she thought that if he wanted to talk about it, he'd tell her.
Tidus liked Kimahri. He may have looked frightening at first, but Yuna was right about him being a 'big sweetheart.' But he sensed that Yuna was mad at him. Either from him acting like a jealous jerk earlier or being a frightened little boy infront of the Ronsos. Maybe Yuna did deserve better, he treated her like any other non-popular girl in school, just to keep the "in" crowd from teasing him or even worse her. He didn't want Yuna to get involved with the stuck-up little jealous Highschool sluts that'll do anything to get revenge.
"Here's where it says the fiends are suppose to be." Yuna said, stopping infront of a huge cave, "What do you say we get rid of these pests?" She smiled at him. Tidus smiled back, adoring her beautiful smile and sexy confidence.
"Of course!" He responded, pulling out his sword, "but...uh...Yuna? Can I ask you something first?"
Yuna looked at him with concern, that's the first time she's ever seen him look so serious, "Yeah, Tidus, you can ask me anything. Are you ok? You're not nervous are you?"
Tidus smiled nervously, "No, it's not that. I know with you by my side I can do anything." Yuna smiled shyly and blushed causing Tidus to admire her beauty some more.
"Then what is it?" She asked, feeling alittle bit uncomfortable with him staring at her.
"Hmm?...oh!...Are you...um...ya know...mad at me?" Tidus asked, snapping back to reality.
Yuna looked at him in confusion, "Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you, Tidus? You haven't done anything to make me mad."
"Earlier...at the hover stop...I was being a complete jerk."
"Yes you were." Yuna agreed, smiling at Tidus as he held his head down in shame, "but I could never be mad at you or hate you."
Tidus looked up happily, "Really? Why not?" He asked, watching as Yuna looked away shyly, blushing again.
"Because...I like you too much to hate you. You're a good person even if you are an annoyance and idiot." She said, not looking at him.
Tidus smiled wider, "You like me, huh?" He walked up to her, hugging her from behind, "You're not bad yourself, Ms. Yunalesca. I'm thinking that we should cherish this time together."
Yuna blushed deeper, "And why's that?"
"What if I were to disappear one day?"
Yuna turned to look at him, "From the planet or my life?"
"Hmm...both."
"Then...that'll be horrible...are you going to?"
"...No, I'm just saying, 'what if?'" He smiled cockily.
Yuna rolled her eyes, Tidus was back to being his old cocky/flirting self. She elbowed him in the gut, walking away from him and towards the cave. "Come on," She said with a smile as he held his stomach in pain, "let's kick some fiend butt!"
Tidus watched Yuna run into the cave. It took him awhile to regain his posture. "THAT'S NOT CHERISHING!" He yelled.
"YOU DIDN'T DISAPPEAR!" he heard her reply.

BIKANEL DESERT CAMPSITE
Squall carried Rikku to the two men's campsite where they had supplies and two tents. Rikku was still not responding and he was starting to get really worried, hoping that they had potion to cure her or at least something that he can use to get his white magic working.
"Set her there." One man said, he was big, mostly fat and muscle. He had a beard and short black hair. He told Squall his name was Lax. His partner was very skinny and had short spiky blonde hair, he was missing a couple of teeth. His name was Dell.
Squall laid Rikku down on a blanket by the fire. She stirred alittle but still didn't open her eyes. Squall frowned, hoping that she would wake up soon. As much as he hated to admit it, he missed her spunky attitude, smart remarks, and annoying actions. He missed her.
"Quite the looker your girlfriend is." Lax said, looking at Rikku spread out on the blankets.
Squall looked at him angrily, not because he called her his girlfriend, but because he was checking her out. Lax smiled at him, "Only if I was a few years younger..."
"Well, you're not!" Squall said, taking out his gunblade, "and I advise you to hold your tongue. I appreciate the help, but we will leave if those kind of uncalled for comments come out any of your mouths." He pointed the gunblade at Lax and Dell, they backed away.
"Calm down, man." Dell said, holding his hands up, "he was just complimenting your girl. We ain't gonna touch her or anything."
Squall put his blade away, sitting next to Rikku to check her pulse for the 100th time. "Good, by the way, she ain't my girlfriend." He replied, examining Rikku.
"Then what the hell you getting all mad about?!" Lax asked, "she your sister or something?"
"We ain't related." Squall responded, glaring up at them, "do we look related?"
"Well...naw, but you're all 'come within an inch of her and I'll slit your throats.'" Dell replied, handing Squall a potion.
"She's just a...friend." Squall said, putting the potion to Rikku's mouth and tilting it for her to drink.
"Helluva good looking friend you got there..." Lax began, but stopped when Squall glared at him, "Sorry."
"If we're gonna be staying here for the night, Rikku and I get one tent. You and your friend gets another. Deal?" Squall asked, standing up.
"Sure, whatever ya want." Dell smiled.
Squall looked at the man's cheesy smiled. He didn't like or trust them but Rikku was in no condition to travel. Plus it was still very hot and Rikku was right about the 'him wearing too much clothes to be travelling in the desert' thing. At least here they had food, shelter, and water. Even if he did have to stay with two possible perverts. He was gonna watch them carefully, keeping Rikku close to him.
"Squall?" They heard a soft voice ask. Squall quickly turned to look at Rikku. She was still lying down, but her eyes were open alittle.
"Rikku!" He said, running to her side. Lax and Dell watched in amusement.
"Squall?" Rikku asked again, smiling when she saw him, "did you get that fiend jerk?"
Squall smiled, nodding, "It's history."
"Did you cram your gunblade through it's big overgrown head?" She asked.
"Blood was everywhere." He responded, pushing her hair out of her face.
"Eww." She smiled, grimacing at the image, "can I not almost die next time?"
"I don't know, can you not let your determination get the best of you?"
"I'll try." She looked at Lax and Dell, who were smiling at her with a weird expression, "who are they?"
Squall didn't look at them, "Nobody important. How're you feeling? Want some water?"
Rikku nodded, sitting up alittle, "Why're you being so nice all of a sudden?" she asked curiously.
"You're hurt. I'm not gonna yell at you now." Squall said, handing her some water, "I'm not that heartless."
"Says who?" Rikku joked, taking a sip of water, "and what do you mean now? You're gonna yell at me later?"
"Yup." Squall nodded.
"Why?"
"You scared the shit out of me! Don't ever do that shit to me again!" Squall said with complete seriousness.
Rikku smiled at him, "Ooooh! I scared the big Lionheart. Whaddya know? He does care about others." She teased.
"Whatever." Squall replied, sitting next to her again.
"I'm Lax, this is my partner Dell." Lax said, approaching Rikku.
"Hiya!"
"If you need anything Miss...WAIT A MINUTE!" Dell yelled, looking into Rikku's eyes which revealed swirls, "YOU'RE AN AL BHED!"
Rikku giggled, "Guilty as charged. Got a problem with it?" She asked with an attitude. Squall smiled, 'Yup, she's back.'