Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Zell's Story ❯ Walking Through the Ruins (To a New Beginning) ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Zell's Story - Epilogue






Zell's Story
By Elysia Erianthe
©©©
Epilogue: Walking Through the Ruins
(To a New Beginning)
"I kind of liked it your way, how you shyly placed your eyes on me … and did you ever know that I had mine on you …?" The transformed woman cooed to her reflection in the silvered glass, and giving herself an once-over, she was pleased to see how different she looked. 'Ooh, I wonder if this will surprise anyone!' She thought as images of Zell, in his usual jeans and tee shirt, looking pleasantly bewildered at her appearance ran a course through her mind's eye. 'And now for the finishing touch …,' "Ms. Genki" giggled as she opened her jewelry box to find her three most treasured objects lying in wait like a chimera, ready to pounce on her and invoke a multitude of memories.
Three objects: a pair folded notes nestled beside each other, forming a cradle for the necklace draped over the two. First, the note from Irvine telling her he was going to take a vacation from his life---from her---for a while. It sent her life into a downward spin that seemed would never come to a halt or even a pause. The second jotting contained a revelation to its writer about his unacknowledged pining. 'That's funny,' she thought. 'I could never imagine those two ever speaking civilly to each other then," she chuckled noticing how closely the notes were nestled together in serenity as she continued to reminisce about the two guys fighting, over her no less. Now, while they weren't exactly on good terms, at least civility had returned to what used to be a companionable competition.
Allowing herself one more look in the mirror, she returned to the necklace that had been her most cherished object until the recent passage of months. It was a gift from Edea and Cid for her sixteenth birthday, a gift that she had earned as her right of passage from childhood. Even though the onslaught of this so-called adulthood was closely associated with the bittersweet memories of the Sorceress Wars, Cid's prophetic speech on that day still brought a tinge of a smile to her lips.
"You're going to be a heartbreaker," she repeated to herself aloud. The irony in itself was enough laughable enough. Maybe Cid is related to the Delphi Oracle. The muted unlocking of the door awakened her from her thoughts, and she made the motions to clasp the chain behind her head, struggling with it.
"Here, I got it," Zell obliged, and the perky woman stifled what would have been a disappointed expression at his lack of response. She had adorned herself for him after all. And she did frown but for a different reason as the weight of her necklace felt unfamiliar on her neck. A ring now hung from the chain and designs coursed its surface. They were unexplainable in their appearance, but the threads of the design seemed to separate and unite continually in their cycle.
"I made it myself."
©©©
I'd like to thank everyone who has reviewed, read, or just encouraged me to write this, the first of hopefully many fanfictions to come. Thank you and all comments (even flames) are welcomed.
~Ellie