Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Battle of Light and Dark ❯ Threat ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Battle of Light and Dark

Copyright: I only own this story. Not to mention the really crappy title.

Chapter 1

Threat

--*--

"This enemy is far too powerful for any of us to even try to defeat."

"So, I suppose you have an idea?"

"I do, Ryal. I do."

--*--

Matzuru looked down on his opponents. "You honestly think the lot of you can defeat me?" he cackled, then threw out his hand. "Let's see what you've got!"

Only a few brave soldiers ran foward, their swords drawn. Matzuru merely swept his hand, and the warriors were driven back. "Fools! I command the power of the Dark! Nothing can defeat me!"

"You are wrong, Matzuru," insisted a soft voice from the crowd. It parted to show a young woman with golden hair and small yellow eyes. She wore a simple yellow gown, and a see-through shawl. "There is one way to send you to whence you came."

Matzuru laughed at this. He folded his arms and lifted an eyebrow. "Show me, then. I wish to see this!"

The woman closed her eyes and began chanting under her breath in a strange language. Light surrounded Matzuru as the mysterious woman finished her spell. "That, Matzuru, was the Spell of the Light. The one Spell that can imprison the Dark."

With a bloodcurdling cry, Matzuru was imprisioned in a small jewel. The sorceress picked it up, and slipped it into a bag around her waist.

And now, three millenia later, our story begins.

--*--

Marth pulled back on the bow and arrow, and furrowed his brow. Clenching his teeth, he let the arrow fly, which, instead of hitting the target, flew right over the board and landed in a tree.

A young man behind him chuckled. "You're a swordsman, but you sure as hell ain't an archer," he murmured.

"Only some of us can be both, I suppose," Marth remarked, handing the Fairy Bow back to its owner. "How, though, is a mystery to me."

"Practice."

The young man sighed and took off his forest green hat. He ran a hand through his shoulder length golden brown hair and looked to Marth. "What amazes me is the fact that you're a prince and a swordsman."

Marth laughed, then his tone changed to a serious one. "Have you heard from Roy?"

"I told you already. If I do, you'll be the first to know."

The Prince muttered something inaudible--to human ears, anyway--under his breath, but the young man's elfish ears picked it up. "And that is the last time I try to teach you Hyrulean."

"Sorry, Link. Your bad habits seem to be catching." Link smirked his reply.

"Bad habits are like stupidity. They're contagious, and easily caught."

"I've been hanging around you. Does that mean I've got both?"

"Alright, that's it!" Link laughed, and lunged for Marth.

"Hmm. And here was me thinking you two had grown up a little bit," giggled a girl. She had strawberry blonde hair that reached past her shoulders, and bright blue eyes, much like Link's. She wore two earrings in her pointed ears, and was dressed in a purple and pink gown. She carried a letter in her gloved left hand.

Link and Marth stood up, grinning. "According to you, I'm still a kid, Princess," Link said.

Zelda shoved the letter in his chest. Link snatched the letter and opened it. Marth read over his shoulder, and both of their mouths hit the ground at the exact same time. The letter was not from Roy, but from Lilina!

Guys,

You mustcome to Azealea quickly. We need help, badly! When you get here, you should meet a man named Ryal. He'll tell you where we are!

-Lilina

--*--

Ryal tossed back his black hair and looked to Lilina. "Are they coming?" he said, almost bored. Lilina bowed.

"Of course," she replied through a sly smile. "Both can't resist the chance to help a damsel in distress."

"Ah. And . . . how is your friend?"

"Still conscious, if that's what you mean."
--*--

Roy gasped for air. He felt the pain coursing through his body like lightning. He was shackled to a dungeon wall, sitting on his knees. His face was scarred; his clothers were ripped; and blood ran down his lip and from cuts on his body.

He stared at the one causing him pain. It was a man who in truth was over three-thousand years old, but appeared as though he weren't a day over twenty years. He wore his shaggy brown hair lying over his shoulders and hiding his bright blue eyes. His clothes were a simple leather jacket, a white shirt underneath, and torn black jeans.

With one lift of his eyebrow, the mysterious man sent another wave of energy all through Roy. The young general screamed with pain. "If you had just sided with Matzuru, then you wouldn't have to feel this pain. Or any, for that matter!"

Roy merely spit on the ground. "That's what I think of you and Matzuru," he snapped, then screamed, feeling the magic the man used.

"At the risk of sounding hammy," he murmured. "resistince is futile. Either join us or die."

Roy glared so intense it could cut through a rock.

"Your girlfriend has. Why not join her? I'm sure she'd love you even more."

Roy turned his head and gritted his teeth. "That is not Lilina," he murmured.

"Denying it, are we?"

"I am denying nothing." Another shot of electricity. Roy clenched his jaw and tried not to scream. It was horrible! The energy shot through his body as though he was struck with lightning!

--*--

When Roy awoke, he found himself in a tent. Wh . . . Where am I? he wondered. He sat up, and saw he was shirtless. Banadages covered his ribs, his arm, and part of his face.

The tent flap opened, and revealed a young woman with long blonde hair, and bright blue eyes, wearing a blue t-shirt and blue jeans. As she entered, the entire room seemed to fill with sunlight. Roy lowered his arm, which was shielding his eyes from the girl. "You're awake," she said.

"Where's my shirt?" Roy wondered aloud.

"Over there." The stranger pointed to a pile of clothing--a breastplate, a shirt, and a cape and headband. His sword was also there. Roy turned his gaze back to the woman. "My name is Aurora. What is yours?"

"Roy."

Aurora sighed. "You cannot go back under that name, nor that appearance."

"I-I don't understand . . ."

"Do you know Princess Zelda?

Roy was taken back. Why switch the subject like this? "Yes. Yes, I know her."

"She has another ego--Sheik of the Sheikah."

Now Roy caught on. "So . . . you're going to give me an alter-ego," he said. Aurora nodded.

"It doesn't hurt, but you won't remember anything," she informed him.

With a wave of her hand, Roy's outward appearance transformed! His hair became a shade of light blue, and reached to his shoulders--not as bushy now, though, and his eyes shone brighter than before. His ears became almost like Link's, but not near as outward. They grew upward. His eyes were the same color as Aurora's, but slightly darker. He wore yellow armor over an orange shirt and white pants.

Roy's eyes lost focus, as though he were asleep. "You are Zerick Nayanth, one of the Light Warriors, battling against the Dark. Ryal . . ." Aurora suddenly turned, and choked a tear. "Ryal is . . . your enemy. As is Matzuru. And . . . the priestess Lilina."

--*--

"Whoa."

Link summed up the condition of the town of Azealea. Buildings burning, deserted streets, a broken fountain in the very center of the city . . . Link suddenly remembered the first time he walked out of the Temple of Time. Azealea resembled the Market so well . . .

Caught up in his daydreaming, Link didn't hear the noise of someone approaching. He was knocked to the ground. He found himself with a sword to his throat. He looked up to his attacker and managed to choke out: "W . . . Who are you?"

"I believe the question is, Who are you?" the attacker mocked.

"Are you Ryal . . . ?"

The attacker lowered his weapon and helped Link to his feet. "Yes. You must be Link, then." Ryal looked around. "Where are the others?"

"Zelda and Marth? They're . . ." Link looked behind him. ". . . not here," he finished in shock.