Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Battle of Light and Dark ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

--*--

Chapter 3

Betrayal

--*--

Dark Link stood up. He grinned, baring two fang-like teeth. He raised his hands, flexing his fingers, like it was his first time having hands. He dropped his hands, and eyed Lilina and Ryal.

"Your first assignment," Lilina began to explain. "is to retrieve the crystal imprisoning our master from Zerick Nayanth. Got that?"

Dark Link nodded, bowed, and left the room. He stood outside the castle, inside the ruined city of Azealea.

Where to look? he wondered, walking, cloaked, in a field. He looked up to a city on a clifftop, appearing to be covered by a golden dome. Therlea. Nayanth would hide there, of course.

In this form, he could change his outer shape to adapt. With a bit of struggle, two leathery black wings grew from his back. It's been forever since I've done that. And now the pain is back?

He flew to the outer wall of the city, and placed a hand on the dome. It began smoking! He flinched and recoiled. Damn them . . . !! he cursed silently, then gazed at the sky. It was quickly becoming night.

He grinned again. He could feel a great new power flowing through him. That was the good thing about being with the Dark. Your powers enchanced by the light of the moon.

Dark Link turned his gaze towards the dome. He threw out his hand and whispered in the Dark Speech. Black energy formed around his hand, and he was able to stick it through the dome! He entered Therlea, and the dome suddenly turned as ebony as the sky.

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

--*--

"Marth, Zerick, look!"

They were already staring at the black dome surrounding Therlea. "Dark Link has found us," Zerick explained. He cast a glance behind him. "Unfortuantely, I cannot break the dark barrier he's placed on the city."

"So we're stuck here?!" Zelda shouted.

Marth unsheathed his sword. Without saying anything, he left. Zerick stopped him by placing a hand on his shoulder. "Wait," he ordered. Marth stared at him. Again, he felt a sense of deja vu. Zerick brandished his own sword. "You can't win without me."

Marth nodded. "Of course."

A dark figure walked towards them. His raven black hair covered his small red eyes, and he wore a tunic and tights to match his hair. He smirked at Zerick and said, "I believe you have something that belongs to me."

Zerick walked forward. "If it's Matzuru's crystal you're looking for, it's not here."

"Tell me where it is, then!" Dark Link snapped.

". . . I don't know."

"Fool!" With that, Dark Link unfolded his black, leathery wings, ran forward, his sword drawn.

"Goddess Nayru of Love and Wisdom . . ." Zelda quickly murmured under her breath, her hands folded. "Be my shield . . . send me the spell . . . Nayru's Love!" A blue diamond surrounded her, Zerick, and Marth.

The sword bounced off. "You think that spell will protect you, bitch?!" Dark Link snarled. "There is magic stronger than even that! And that magic is of the Dark! You're nothing but an illusion!"

"Link, you don't know what you're saying!" Marth shouted, unable to take it any longer.

Dark Link glared at the Prince, his cold red eyes piercing into his own. "Link is dead. He is no more! I am Dark Link. The strongest fighter ever to live!" he protested. He threw out his hand once more and began speaking in the Dark Speech. The diamond surrounding them began turning black.

Zelda placed her hand on the diamond, and it began to vanish! When it was gone, Marth ran forth and began attacking Dark Link.

"Link is not dead," he growled through the battle.

"He's long gone, Prince," Dark Link chuckled, blocking Marth's attack. "And there's nothing you can do about it!"

A beam of golden light broke up the scuffle. Dark Link was blown away from Marth, and he landed against a building. Zerick was the culprit. He created golden ropes out of thin air and tied them around Dark Link.

"Now that we have your attention," he said. "there's something we wish to know."

Dark Link turned averted his gaze.

"Why did you call me an illusion?" Zelda wondered aloud. Dark Link chuckled.

"Because you're dead. Parished, at my own hands."

"What? That's a lie!"

"Oh, is it? Ask him, then!" Dark Link nodded his head towards Marth, who backed up.

"Hold it. I said no such thing. Zelda's alive!"

"This'll prove it!" Zelda raised her left hand and began muttering in Hyrulean. Her hand was surrounded in a golden aura! "If I were dead, I couldn't use the power of the Triforce of Wisdom."

Dark Link's stern face changed to a frightened one. "I killed you. I destroyed Azealea, just like I did the Market!"

"A trick," Zelda explained, catching on. "It wasn't you that annihalited the Market--it was Ganondorf! You're the Hero of Time. The carrier of the Triforce of Courage. You're . . ." Zelda's eyes began watering. ". . . my one true love."

Dark Link let out an inhuman screech that pierced the night. "ALL LIES!" he cried. "No . . . No, I won't believe you! No! I . . . I won't go back!"

Zelda bent down to his level and grabbed his left hand. No matter how hard he glared at her, her face remained still. "You're Link. He isn't gone, he's still deep inside of you. You just have to look."

He again screamed, as though fighting something. With a final yelp, his eyes slowly closed, and he fell into a deep sleep. Zerick snapped his fingers, and the ropes around him disappeared. As his hair returned to blonde and his eyes changed back to blue, Zelda grabbed him around the neck and began crying.

"Zerick," whispered a voice behind the four. They turned to see a beautiful young woman.

"Aurora!" Zerick gasped, and bowed slightly.

"It is time to show them who you really are." With a wave of her hand, Zerick himself began to change! His hair became auburn, and was a bit bushier. His eyes changed to blue, and his clothes became a turquoise shirt and white pants with a breastplate and red cape. He wore aqua boots, and had a sword with a grand, jewel-encrested hilt at his side. A blue and gold headband kept his hair out of his eyes, and sapphire gloves protected his hands.

"Roy?!" came the chorus of confused voices.