Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Rennac's Tales of Turmoil ❯ The Job ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A man with short brown hair walked along the road of the kingdom of Rausten. He wore a fancy blue jacket, brown pants, boots and a gold head band. His name was Rennac and he was a rogue. He stole from the rich and gave to himself. He was well off money wise, but still felt the need to take what ever he saw. He was quite content with himself. Such a sneaky rat. Able to steal and never getting caught. He thought he was pretty cool. His life was pretty good. But we are not focusing on the good here, we are focusing on his turmoil, hence the name of the story. Any ways, as I was saying. He was walking though the kingdom of Rausten, when a paper, pasted on the wall of a building, caught his eye. The notice said;

“Body Guard needed for the traveling princess, L'Arachel.
Reward: As much gold as you desire.”

As much as I desire? The thought of it was tempting. And he only had to play body guard for the princess? No sweat. He made his way to the castle, expecting a line of over one thousand people in front the castle gates, but to his surprise, there wasn't anyone. Except for two knights who guarded the gates. He walked up to the knights and asked, "Where do I sign up to be the princess's body guard?"
"Just wait in the castle's dinning hall. The king will talk to you about the job there." One of the guards answered.
Rennac thanked them and entered the castle. The castle was enormous and he had to have one of the servants lead him to the dinning hall.

"I shall go inform Emperor Mansel of your presence." The servant said.

Rennac took a seat at the far end of the giant table and waited for the king. He wondered what life would be like for him if he was a king. Knights protecting him. Servants attending his every wish. Ladies all over him. And best of all, the loads of money. He could only imagine what it would be like.

"Excuse me, lad. Are you here for the job offer I put out around Rausten?" A voice said behind him, interrupting his daydreaming.

"Y-yes. I am." He replied, startled a little.

The voice had belonged to Emperor Mansel. The king took a seat close to Rennac. "Wonderful!" He exclaimed. "Just wonderful. And what might you're name be?"

"Um...Rennac..."

"Are there any questions you have before you meet my niece, L'Arachel?"

"Wait. I got the job?" Rennac asked confused.

"Why, of course."

"But, I must be the 100th guy to come in about the job."

"No, you are the first."

"Then the notice wasn't out that long?"

"Actually, it's been out for quite some time. You're the only one to respond to it."

"How long was it out for?"

"About three weeks now."

"Three weeks?!

"You will be L'Arachel's fifth body guard." Mansel said, changing the subject.

"I'm working with four other guys?"

"No, why?"

"But you just said that I would be her fifth body guard."

"Oh, What I meant was, you're the fifth person to become her body guard. She's been through four others."

"What? They didn't suit her expectations?"

"No, they're dead."

"What happened to them?!"

"Suicide."

"From being her body guard?!?!?!"

"I'm not sure..."

"What do you mean, you're not sure?!?!?!"

"I shall go fetch L'Arachel now." Mansel said as he stood up and left the room.

Rennac slumped in his chair. What had he gotten himself into? No big deal. He thought to himself. It could have been a simple mistake. Maybe they were killed by some bandits and it just looked like suicide. Yeah, that's got to be it. They were killed by bandits. I won't be that careless...but then again...no one else signed up for the job yet. What could possibly drive someone to commit suicide just from being a body guard?
The Dinning room doors swung open and Rennac's thoughts were once again interrupted but this time, by a young woman with light green hair. She wore a white dress and carried a staff in her hand. She smiled kindly and asked "You're Rennac, my new body guard, correct? I am L'Arachel."
He nodded, stood out of his chair and took a bow. She grabbed a hold of his wrist and pulled him out off the dinning room and into the hall.

"W-where are we going?" He asked.

"To begin our journey. What else?" She replied.

"This soon?"

"Of course. We mustn't waste any time."

"Isn't this a bit sudden?"

"Not at all. We must vanquish evil A.S.A.P!"

Rennac had never heard the abbreviation. Then again, abbreviations like that didn't really exist in the medieval times. "A-S-A...P?...Asap?" He repeated, confused by its meaning.

"As Soon As Possible."

"Oh, I see..." Though he didn't really see...

She turned a sharp corner in the hallway and stopped immediately in front of a large door way. He stumbled a bit and yanked his hand free from her grip. "Do you mind?" He asked in an annoyed tone.

She didn't seem to take any notice of him. She pushed the door open and the two entered the throne room. The king sat at on his throne and smiled kindly to his niece.
"Uncle," L'Arachel began, "I wanted to tell you good-bye before I leave on my long and dangerous journey."

"L'Arachel, surely you aren't planning on leaving this instant?" Mansel asked.

"But of course!" She replied happily

"But, do you have everything packed? Are you really prepared to go this journey so soon?"

"Well, I haven't packed anything yet..." She admitted.

"And besides that, I'm sure Rennac has things that he wants to get before he leaves."

"Y-yeah...something like that." Rennac replied.

"Well, then, L'Arachel, why don't you spend tonight, preparing and you can set off first thing in the morning." The king said.

"You're right Uncle." L'Arachel said. "Besides, I haven't even told Dozla the news yet."

"Who's Dozla?" Rennac asked.

"My personal protector." L'Arachel answered.

Rennac was even more confused. Why would she bother hiring a body guard if she had her own 'personal protector'? He wouldn't dare ask the question out loud. Not here. He knew better than to speak like that to a king's niece, or at least while he's around.
"Alright then. Rennac, go pack your things and meet me at the castle gates tomorrow morning." L'Arachel said. "Bring whatever you need, but I advise traveling lightly."

"Got it." Rennac replied. He then turned to the king. "What about my pay?"

"We'll discuss that when you return from you're quest." Mansel replied.

Rennac didn't press the subject any longer. He gave a slight bow and took his leave from the castle. For some reason, the princess made him feel stressed. He didn't quiet understand it, but he had the feeling that he was going to regret taking up this job.