Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Unknown Faces ❯ At the Dragon's Gate ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The next day was full of contradictions. The sun rose beautifully on the Dread Isle, filling the forest with beautiful incandescence. But still, it couldn't break through the chill of death and sorrow that encased the island, giving it a permanent gray feeling that dampened moods and stifled conversations.
 
Yesterday, during the final moments of battle, when the nomad trooper Uhai, had finally been defeated, the troops had received directions that took them another step further to achieving their goal - bringing Elibe back to peace. They should've been celebrating, should've been able to talk freely amongst themselves as they prepared their weapons and packed their supplies. But in the process of gaining victory, they had lost one of their number: Kent. And that loss was devastating, not only military-wise, but to the moral of the troops in general.
 
As she sat up, unwilling to face the new day, Lyn played distractedly with her long hair, tying it up and releasing it repeatedly. She had lost all focus on the world around her as she thought again about what she had lost. However, a tiny voice in her mind screamed at her, reminding her of her duties to the land. She had to get up and fight again; she had to lead her troops into battle; she had to not give up.
 
Her hair continued to be messed about with as the young woman felt tears begin to well up in her eyes once again. She hadn't cried this much since her parents had died and she couldn't believe how much emotion the man's memory was evoking. It had been love, she had known well enough, but love that ran deeper in the girl's being than she had ever realized. This was more than the love most people know, this was the love everyone dreamt about in their sleep, this was the love about which little girls fantasized.
 
This was the love that had help Lyn feel complete.
 
There was a call at her tent's flap. Lyn recognized the timid and sweet sound of Florina's voice.
 
“Come in,” she replied, trying to sound as casual as possible.
 
The Pegasus knight's head, adorned with soft lavender locks, peeked in. “Are you sure?” she queried, biting her lip as she did so.
 
Lyn smiled at her friend's wariness and nodded reassuringly, patting the space next to her on her sleeping mat.
 
With a small smile on her face, Florina sat down and hugged her knees. “Morning, Lyn.”
 
“Morning, Florina. Is there anything I could help you with?”
 
“Actually, I was hoping to ask you that very question.”
 
Lyn's eyes widened in pleasant surprise. “You were?”
 
The girl nodded eagerly. “You are my closest friend after all. And it can't be easy, losing someone you loved… You did love him, didn't you?”
 
Fighting back the rising lump in her throat, Lyn nodded. “I did, Florina. And he's gone now. But you don't have to worry. I'll be fine.”
 
To her surprise, Florina looked a bit perturbed. “Look, Lyn, I mean no offense, but it's time you stop taking care of me. We're friends are we not? And friends look out for one another. You did for me out on the plains all those years, protecting me from all harm. This is the least I can do. So, please,” she said, her bravery faltering, “tell me how feel.”
 
After getting past her initial shock, Lyn smiled a true smile. Her friend had finally found the courage and strength that Lyn had always known the girl to possess. And in the wake of Lyn's greatest time of need, no less. It truly warmed her heart.
 
“Okay, okay. Fair enough. Truth is, I'm feeling horrible. I can't believe he's gone, Florina. After we've been through so much together, he's gone. And I still can't believe that he's never coming back.”
 
She felt her friend place a comforting arm around her shoulder and pull her in close. Todge, the group's tactician, had instructed Florina to help Lyn gather her things; they were supposed to depart as soon as possible. But she decided that what mattered most was her friend's well-being. So there they sat, in complete silence, enjoying one another's company and doing their best to shake off that clinging feeling of sadness.
 
------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------
 
The corners of Todge's mouth turned upward for a brief moment as he saw the Pegasus knight enter Lyn's tent. He had sent the girl in on purpose, knowing that Lyn needed a shoulder to cry on but would never seek one out. He turned away from the sight and went back to overseeing the troop's activities.
 
Most everyone was finished with packing, the tents had all been rolled up, the food collected, and the spare items - mostly for cooking - stored away. The tactician was indeed thankful for Merlinus's aid, annoying personality aside.
 
He heard the pattering of footsteps as one of the troop approached him. From the sound of his breathing and worried look in his face, Matthew had important news. The tactician frowned. Ever since he had learned of Leila's death, something about Matthew had changed. He was no longer the carefree thief who idled about, shirking duties until Todge was forced to throw knives at him. No longer did he joke with everyone, hiding Sain's armor and pulling Serra's hair, planning pranks with Wil and driving Hector mad.
 
It struck an odd chord with Todge but he held his tongue. Being a rather private person himself, the man knew how it felt to have others intrude on your personal matters.
 
“Yes?” he asked, a smirk creeping up on his face as he watched Matthew rest his hands on his knees. “Something urgent, I gather.”
 
“Yes, sir.” Todge cringed, he hated to be addressed in such a manner. That was something else that had changed with Matthew, he seemed to have found a newfound respect for every single person to walk on Elibe's land. “Lord Hector, marquess of Ostia, requests a talk with you.”
 
Todge's brow furrowed. He rarely consulted with the man. “Did he happen to mention what this concerned exactly?”
 
The thief's face fell and he looked at his feet, appearing to be in deep thought. Then he looked up, held up one finger and took off, running as fast as his nimble legs would carry him.
 
Shaking his head, the tactician set off for Lyn's tent. He thought that the girls had had enough time. Not bothering to request permission to enter, he stuck his head in the tent's opening, startling the two girls. Florina squealed with fright before accidentally striking out with her boot and catching Todge squarely in the jaw.
 
“Oh, St. Elimine, I'm so sorry Todge. I really didn't mean to - to - to…” the girl's apology faded as her fear of all men took control of her nerves once again, “do that.” She looked down at her knees sheepishly.
 
Todge gently massaged his jaw and said, “Nice kick, Lady Florina. Good to see that your reflexes are working nicely.”
 
Lyn smiled and tousled her friend's hair, making the trembling knight relax slightly. “Is there something you need, Todge?” said Lyn, looking in the tactician's direction.
 
“Yes, there is. Granted, I realize that you are most likely still in mourning, but it is time for the troops to move out. We need to reach the Dragon's Gate today. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to get a move on.” His statement finished, Todge ducked back out of the tent.
 
Lyn sighed, her shoulders sagging. She knew Todge wasn't being callous or indifferent. This was his own brand of friendly comfort. Brushing off her clothes and grabbing her precious sword, the girl crawled out of her tent with Florina following closely behind. Together they packed it away and carried it over to Merlinus.
 
“What is this?!” he asked, his voice screwed up in anger and annoyance. “I've already finished loading the caravan and here you two lassies come traipsing in with your incredibly late tent? Do you realize how much it is to load these things? Give me that?” he snapped as he snatched the tent from their clutches. Throwing them a dirty look, he turned his backs on them.
 
Florina looked at Lyn. The two of them burst out laughing. As she walked away from the angry merchant, Lyn felt her heart lighten ever so slightly.
 
----------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
 
Todge was about to check with Merlinus about the status of their supplies when Matthew approached him once again. Managing to skid to a halt just in time - splattering the bottom of Todge's green robes with mud in the process - he caught his breath and eagerly spoke.
 
“Sir, Lord Hector says that he would like to discuss battle plans with you.”
 
Keeping a straight face, the tactician bowed deeply. “Thank you very much, Matthew,” he answered gravely.
 
The thief nodded solemnly and took off, possibly searching for Guy.
 
Chuckling softly to himself, Todge set off for `Lord Hector's' tent, eager to get underway and one step closer to peace for Elibe.
 
 
“Shouldn't Lady Lyndis take part in these plans? After all, a good deal of the troop claims loyalty to Caelin,” remarked the lord Eliwood, his face concerned.
 
From across the table, Hector shook his head reassuringly. “I shouldn't worry about it if I were you. She needs some time to relax, get over things.”
 
Eliwood stared. “Were you just… being gentle with Lady Lyndis? Is the mighty Blue Hair going soft?” questioned Eliwood, only half-joking.
 
“Never. I don't see the reason for such shock; I'm not entirely incapable of kindness, you know,” replied Hector, scowling a bit.
 
“No, no, that's not what I meant,” said Eliwood quickly, as though eager to take back his words. “It's just that you've always been a bit short with her, always at each other's throats, the two of you are. I'm just surprised. But I'm also glad,” he said, smiling kindly, “I was getting a bit sick of all that bickering.”
 
“Yea, well, don't get used to it,” responded Hector gruffly, knocking Eliwood on the head good-naturedly, “It's only temporary.”
 
“Ah, well,” said Eliwood, running a hand through his hair to fix the damage Hector had done, “I should've figured.”
 
A dark head poked in through the tent flap. “Gentlemen, I believe you wanted to see me?”
 
“Ah, yes, do come on in, Todge,” invited Hector, gesturing to an empty stool by the table. He unrolled a map that detailed all of Elibe. “I'd like to get a clear understanding of what exactly you planning on doing today. Are we actually going to listen to the enemy's advice?” He was referring to Uhai's last words, rather poetic instructions instructing the group on how to get to the Dragon's Gate. Hector still had his reserves about heeding the words of the former enemy.
 
Todge cleared his throat before speaking. “I happen to trust his words. If Lyn is any example of a true Sacaen, then the man spoke true and would not want to lead us astray. Besides, what would he have to gain in misguiding us?” The man shrugged and waited for their reactions.
 
Ignoring Hector's dubious look, Eliwood spoke up in Todge's favor. “Indeed, the man, while a former foe, still appeared to be a very trustworthy man. We have no other choice but to accept his words as honest fact.” He looked meaningfully at Hector who seemed to relax slightly.
 
“Alright, then,” said Hector, his voice sounding defeated, “if he was telling the truth,” he frowned for a moment, “then where exactly does that take us?”
 
“Well,” began Todge, his manner becoming even more serious as his fingers traced the lines of the map, “I'm not too sure about the exact whereabouts of the Dragon's Gate, but I'm pretty sure that we have to trek into the forest in this manner, and search for this tree he was talking about. From there we know which direction to turn. I'm guessing that the Gate is in this vicinity, he gestured to an area that appeared to be uncharted on the map; it was just blank space waiting underneath his fingertips.
 
“There's nothing there,” remarked Eliwood, his brow furrowing in worry.
 
“I know,” said Todge, grimly.
 
----------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
 
“Oh, ah, hello, Matthew,” said Guy, uneasily. Ever since they had discovered the Ostian spy's, Leila's, dead body the other day, the swordsman's friend hadn't been the same. He was actually being nice, none of those silly, time-wasting pranks, none of those childish, impish taunts. It was rather nice, Guy had to admit, but it was also a bit unsettling.
 
“Hullo, Guy, how are you this morning?” The thief's tone was hollow, as though a tiny bit of the man had died.
 
“Oh, I'm fine. A bit sad what happened yesterday, though, eh?”
 
Matthew nodded. “More so for Lady Lyndis, they were rather close. He was a good man, though, never lost his patience with me, silly me.” He shook his head, his brown hair flopping in the wind. “Well, I'll leave you to your packing, seems like you have a ways to go.” And before Guy could respond, Matthew was gone.
 
“Oh, ah, yea,” replied Guy, thrown off by Matthew's sudden departure. He called after him. “I'll see you later, yea?”
 
“Yea,” came the distant response.
 
Shaking off the weird feeling Matthew had given him, Guy hefted his belongings onto his shoulder and set off to see Merlinus. As the merchant saw the young man approach, his face screwed in anger and he screamed.
 
“Aieeeeee! More packing, you lot will be the death of me, I don't doubt.”
 
Guy was a bit flustered. “Sorry.” He spread his palms and backed off. When Merlinus finally turned his angry glare in a different direction, Guy set off, eager to find Matthew and see what was wrong.
 
He found him sitting beside a small creek that ran through the nearby forest, resting his feet as he sat on a rather large stone. Simply gazing into the rushing water, he stayed extremely still, like a statue. Except for his lips, they appeared to be moving rather quickly, as though he was having a heavy discussion. With whom, Guy didn't know.
 
Cautiously, the myrmidon approached, keeping his steps as silent as possible. He felt as though he was disrupting something incredibly personal and private. But still he continued, taking light step after light step, not even daring to breathe. However, he failed to notice the pinecone in his path and as he pressed down on it, the crunch the simple action made startled Matthew, who instinctively drew his dagger and cocked his arm, ready to hurl the deadly tool.
 
“Easy! Easy, it's just me,” said Guy, panic-stricken. His face had turned stark white in the moment. “I just wanted to talk to you.”
 
“Oh, okay.” Matthew smiled briefly as he sheathed his dagger. “Sorry about that. What did you want to talk about?” He set a foot against the stone and swung his hands easily around his protruding knee.
 
Guy was a bit thrown off. “Nothing really. I wanted to see if anything was bothering you. Earlier, just now really, you seemed to be a bit weird earlier. Are you alright now…” He drifted off and felt really stupid. Of course he was alright, he looked so carefree and easy, like he didn't have a care in the world. “Scratch that,” he said, fumbling about with his words. Matthew was smirking at him, as though he was rather enjoying watching Guy make a fool of himself.
 
“I'm quite alright, thanks. Had a bit on my mind earlier but it's no problem now. Just had to think. But it is ever so sweet of you to worry about me. Gosh, Guy, all this attention is making me blush.”
 
Turning red around the ears, Guy hissed angrily, “Will you shut it? I was just checking, nothing big. We are friends after all.”
 
“Yea, yea, don't get your braid all twisted up,” - Guy scowled, his long plaited hair had always been a sore spot between the two as Matthew mocked it relentlessly - “we are friends. It was nice of you to worry.”
 
Again Matthew's attitude threw Guy off balance. The thief had never, not once since Guy had known him, apologized for his mockery or anything for that matter. “Right. Well, since you're not crying your heart out, I'd better be getting back to the rest of them.”
 
Matthew smiled, making Guy blush in embarrassment. “Bother you, Matthew,” he spat before running off.
 
Running a hand through his hair, Matthew laughed easily. “I really needed that,” he said to no one in particular.
 
-------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
The tents had all been rolled up and packed away, the food stored in air-tight bags crafted out of leather, and the spare weapons wrapped up and put in their respective bins. Everyone had responded to Todge's call to meet in the center of the camp. There they all stood, armored up, weapons polished, and faces solemn and grim as they listened to Todge detail their agenda for the day.
 
“So, are there any questions?” No one said anything. “Thank St. Elimine, I really wasn't in the mood to take any. Okay, let's set off.”
 
Hector and Eliwood led the way, shouldering their weapons impressively in order to encourage their troops, Lyn fell back among the soldiers, Florina staying loyally by her side. They walked in trios and pairs, feeling safest when closer to those they loved. Matthew darted about, traveling up ahead and then falling back again, each time giving Guy a hard time and then apologizing for it; Guy wasn't sure what to think.
 
Deeper and deeper into the woods they traveled, feeling an increasing sense of fear and death as they neared their target. Eventually, they started to smell a truly horrendous stench. It smelled like death warmed over and peppered with fertilizer.
 
Covering his nose with his cape, Eliwood fell back slightly to address Todge. “Any idea what that would happen to be?” he asked, coughing slightly.
 
Grimacing, Todge nodded, his eyes watering from the odor. “I'm pretty sure that we're nearing the tree that Uhai mentioned, and judging by the strength of, ah, this, I'm fairly certain that we're no more than half an hour away from reaching it.
 
The tactician's musings happened to be correct and soon enough they arrived at the giant rotting tree of which the nomad trooper had spoken. Everyone groaned and did their best to stifle the smell, whether with the collar of their shirts or the hems of their capes and robes.
 
“Where to now?” asked Hector gruffly. “Hurry up,” he snapped as Todge took his time with the map.
 
Throwing him a cool look, Todge snapped the map together and pointed. “That way.”
 
They all took off in a hurry; Serra, after much pleading, was now riding with Sain and for once in his life, he didn't seem so eager to have a female wrap her arms around him. He still seemed a bit lost, as though he had lost his direction in life.
 
The thick undergrowth was becoming increasingly difficult to deal with. Guy was called to the front along with Eliwood and Matthew. They all drew their swords and hacked away at the flora, leaving shreds of bushed and vines in their wake. Hector's head turned in Lyn's direction but he thought about it for a moment and shook his head before shouldering his axe and taking a spot next to the rest of the men clearing the way.
 
Finally, after a few hours of exhausting hiking, they arrived at a clearing, and not more than three hundred paces away sat the looming wall of the fort that guarded the Dragon Gate. With a collective sense of relief, the troops settled down to rest. The trip had taken more out of them than anyone had anticipated. This was a set back in Todge's plans: he had planned on attacking said fortress today but it seemed as though they were going to have to wait another day.
 
“Bother,” he grumbled. “Alright, you lot,” he said, turning to face the soldiers, “we're going to have to wait one more day before we tackle this mission.” He smirked as he realized he was the only disappointed one. “Okay then, why not take a few moments to relax and then set up your tents, don't pull everything out, just the bare necessities to get through the n -”
 
“Please!” gasped an obviously injured man, seemingly appearing out of nowhere, blood dripped steadily from a wound in his side and his face was slick with sweat. “Please, help me!”