Fruits Basket Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Burning Bright ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Burning Bright
 
By Asteria
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or situations portrayed herein, nor do I own the poem from which the title is taken.
 
00000
00000
 
July 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
10:17 PM
 
Ken'ichi grinned wildly. It was perfect. A tiny little girl out for a walk alone at night. Of course, Ken'ichi was still young and overconfident, and was ignoring the part of his brain that was telling him the setup was a little too perfect and reeked of a trap. He increased his pace, moving silently through the night, catching up to the girl.
 
He was right behind her when she turned and punched him, hard and fast, in the stomach. Ken'ichi dropped to his knees. He wasn't winded, but it had still hurt. The girl looked at him through dark amber eyes and smiled disarmingly as she plunged the stake into his heart.
 
“Slayer…” he gasped in amazement as he crumbled into dust.
 
The young slayer returned her stake to its hiding place in her sleeve, then turned and continued on her patrol.
 
00000
00000
 
Fifteenth year of the Hei Sei era (Hiro-kun's year)
Seventh month
Second day
23:41
Tonight's total: 2
 
Kennedy-oneecahn was right when she said I could be the bait in my own trap. I tried it tonight and it worked. She said that after we used her as the bait to catch a Bringer and find out what the First wanted. When I asked her why she had volunteered to be the bait. She said: “Sometimes you need to set a trap, and every trap needs bait, so it's best if the bait can defend herself while waiting for the trap to spring. You know, you could be the bait and the trap. You're so cute and harmless-looking that vampires wouldn't suspect you of being a Slayer.”
 
Kennedy-oneechan didn't day it to me directly, of course. Giles-san had to translate because Kennedy-oneechan doesn't speak Japanese and I don't speak much English. Chao Ahn-oneechan was much worse off, though, because she didn't speak any English at all and Giles-san doesn't speak Chinese. She would have been a good Slayer. I miss her.
 
I should e-mail Kennedy-oneechan and tell her that the bait thing worked. I'll have to ask Hatori-ojichan if I can use his computer tomorrow. I'd call her and tell her myself except okaachan wouldn't like me making long-distance phone calls.
 
Goodnight.
 
Souma Kisa
 
00000
00000
 
This is the first part of my Fruits Basket/Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossover experiment, as well as being my first piece of Fruits Basket fanfiction. If you like it, I'll continue, if not, I'll just leave it as is. I'm open to suggestions if you care to leave them, but I've already chosen which Fruits Basket characters will be Slayers and Watchers (and you'll find out as they come along)
 
If you're wondering what the title has to do with anything, it comes from the poem by William Blake:
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night
 
Please review.