Fruits Basket Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Different Kind of Zodiac ❯ A New Start ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Different Kind of Zodiac

Chapter One: A New Start

~*~

Disclaimer: I don`t own Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha or Fruits Basket.

Snow: Now! ON WITH THE FICCIE!!! *dun dada duuuuun*

~*~

Kagome Higurashi rose from her bed early one morning at the shrine. She stretched her arms and yawned. Through sleepy eyes, she gazed out the window. She had a hard time getting to sleep last night; so many thoughts were racing through her head. She remembered that fateful night a few days ago.

~*~

Flashback…

/it was late, almost midnight and Kagome was running through the Inuyasha forest because Sango and Miroku said Inuyasha was there, but never expected what she`d see next. She had to give him some bandages for him after his recent fight. Kagome rounded a corner and looked on in horror to see Inuyasha with Kikyo.

`I-Inuyasha?' She thought disbelievingly as she collapsed to her knees behind a bush. Peeking through the leaves of the bush she started crying.

"Inuyasha, don`t you still hate me for betraying you?" Kikyo asked, looking up into Inuyasha`s golden orbs.

"How could I ever hate you?!" Inuyasha told her. "I love you."

"But what about that wench that is the supposed reincarnation of me? I thought you had feelings for her." Kikyo stated, looking at the ground sadly.

Inuyasha put his finger under Kikyo`s chin and lifted her head up so she looked into his eyes once again. "Kagome is just a shard detector. She means nothing to me." Inuyasha then brought his face closer to the priestess`s and kissed her deeply.

Kagome`s heart stopped. Her heart shattered into a million pieces that instant. Kagome`s eyes started to tear up. `Just a shard detector…' She scolded herself for ever thinking that she could actually love a stubborn, hot-tempered, hanyou. `A shard detector and that`s all I`ll ever be…'

Kikyo`s soul gatherers flew toward her and slithered around her. While they lifted her into the air, she said with a smile on her face. "I love you Inuyasha, until we meet again." Then she was flown away by them.

"I love you too, Kikyo." Inuyasha smiled with a giddy expression hidden in his eyes.

"Inuyasha." Kagome plainly said and stood up.

"K-Kagome?" The hanyou asked wearily.

"I`m going home. For good. Since I`m nothing but a shard detector." Kagome glared holes into the one she loved so dearly. "And I`m taking these two shards with me." She held up two shards of the Shikon Jewel. "And don`t even TRY and come for me. Because no matter how much you want me to come look for jewel shards with you. I`m NOT coming." Tears slipped from her eyes and fell to the cold ground. "Goodbye, Inuyasha." She turned sharply and walked away.

"Kagome! Kagome wait!" Came Inuyasha`s pleading cries. "Wait!" Kagome didn`t even turn her head to look back.

When she returned to Kaede`s hut she found Sango, Miroku and Shippo waiting for her. "I`m going home." She told them. "And I`m not coming back." She walked past them and stopped when she was beside Sango. "Bye, Sango." And with that she walked to the well.

She got to the well and looked into the depths of it. The darkness covered the bottom of the well and she had no idea where it ended, but she had been through this many times before. Some times were filled with remorse when she had to go back home and other times she was just plain mad at Inuyasha. But this time was different. She didn`t feel that sense of dread when she peered into the well and slung her leg over the side. She was actually glad. Glad to return to a normal life with normal friends and a normal bed. She was about to jump over the side when she heard someone call out her name.

"Kagome!" It was Sango with Kirara on her shoulder..

"What is it, Sango?" Kagome questioned with an innocent look.

"I-I want to go with you. To your era." Kagome was surprised with Sango`s words. "I`m tired of fighting Naraku and I want to start over. That is if you would let me go with you."

"Of course, Sango. But what about Miroku?" Kagome smiled warmly.

"I talked to Miroku about it and he said he would miss me a lot." Sango smiled nonchalantly and walked over to Kagome. Her hair blew in the night breeze. Kagome could tell she was holding back tears in her beautiful chocolate brown eyes.

"You don`t have to go…" Kagome reminded.

"But I want to." Sango`s mind was made up and when she said she was going she WAS going.

"Alright Sango, just hold onto my arm and don`t let go or you might not get through to my era."

Sango smiled and grasped Kagome`s hand. She nodded and they jumped into the well together and were both enveloped in a bright blue light.

End flashback.

~*~

And that brought us to the present day. Kagome wiped away a tear with the back of her pajama`s sleeve and looked at her nightstand. The two Shikon Jewel shards were placed in a small jar and were sitting on it, they glittered a faint purple.

"KAGOME GET READY!!" Kagome`s mom, Ayame, yelled. (a/n: I don`t know Kagome`s mom`s name.) "You`re going to be late!"

"Alright mom!" Kagome yelled back as she ran and got dressed into her school uniform. She quickly put a smile on her face as she ran into the kitchen to meet with Sango who was in the same uniform.

"Wow Sango! The uniform really suits you!" Ayame complimented. She had taken a liking to the demon exterminator. "You look so cute!" She hugged her and Sango sweat dropped.

"Ummmm, Miss Higurashi can you let me go?" Sango requested as she smiled nervously.

Ayame quickly let go of the young woman and said. "Bye bye you two!" She waved and they walked to school.

~*~

Sango stood nervously in front of the class as the teacher, Mr. Takaya, introduced her. "Class, this is Sango. Please let her feel welcome here."

The boys in the class whistled at her and made cat-calls. Sango got VERY irritated by this and thought. `Would I give anything to have my Hiraikotsu with me right now.'

"Please take a seat behind Yusuke Sohma." Mr. Takaya said as he pointed to a cute guy with greased back hair and intense brown eyes. He wore a green jumpsuit that was not the dress code at all. Sango walked to him and sat down behind him.

"And Yusuke." Mr. Takaya added. "Wear the school uniform tomorrow like everyone else."

"What if I don`t?" He arrogantly commented.

"…" The teacher didn`t say anything.

"That`s what I thought." Yusuke smirked. "And can`t you see that green is my color?"

As Kagome headed for her seat, the teacher told her. "And Miss Higurashi, we moved your seat over there to make room for Yusuke, Shuiichi, Hiei and Kuwabara." He pointed to a seat in the very back of the class.

"What?" She questioned.

"Yusuke, Hiei, Shuiichi, and Kuwabara Sohma just moved here a few weeks ago. And since you were absent those few weeks we had to move your and some other people's seats to make room for them."

"Oh, alright." She said as she walked to her seat and sat down.

"And thank you for gracing us with your presence today, Kagome." Mr. Takaya said and Kagome blushed, embarrassed.

~*~

After school, Kagome and Sango were walking home when they saw the woods. "Hey Sango, those woods lead to my house. It`s a shortcut. Do you want to go?"

"It`s fine with me." Sango smiled and they took off.

They were looking at the beautiful patch of woods and just talking when they came upon a house. "Huh, wonder what that is?" Sango asked as she approached the large house.

"Sango, wait!" Kagome warned. "You can`t just go up to some strange house like that!"

"Oh look, Kagome. There are little rocks painted with little symbols of animals on them!" Sango said enthusiastically. "Come look!"

Reluctantly Kagome walked up to the porch of the house where twelve rocks were sitting on a mat. "They`re the Chinese Zodiac, Sango."

"Oh wow." Sango said in awe. "Do they have a cat? Like Kirara?"

"There was a cat in the legend. God told the animals that there was a banquet tomorrow. He said to not be late. When the rat heard that, he told the cat that the banquet was the day after tomorrow. The next day the rat rode on the back of the ox and nimbly landed before the banquet hall. After him followed the ox, the tiger, and all the rest, and together they all feasted until morning. All except the cat who had been tricked." Kagome explained. "And that`s why there isn`t a cat in the Chinese Zodiac."

"Oh, the poor cat." Sango mumbled as the door opened.

"Who`s there?" A boy with long red hair and green eyes opened the door. "Oh, hello there. Aren`t you Kagome and Sango from school?"

"Yeah, and you`re Shuiichi right?" Kagome said.

"Yes." The boy identified as Shuiichi said. "I see you were looking at the Zodiac ornaments.

"Yes, they are very pretty." Sango stated.

"I was just setting them out here to dry; do you want to come in?" Shuiichi kindly said.

"Oh, we were just headed home from school." Kagome explained.

"Do you want anything to eat? I have tea on the stove if you want some."

Knowing that Shuiichi sincerely wanted them to stay, Kagome said yes and he led them to the kitchen.

He fixed them some tea and they talked for a while when they heard a loud CRASH from the living room.

"What was that?!" Sango exclaimed.

They raced into the living room to find the same boy with greased back hair standing in a pile of rubble. He cracked his neck and smirked. "Are you ready for me to break you neck… rat-boy?" He said with malice.

"Huh? Rat-boy?" Kagome said, confused.

Yusuke took a step toward Shuiichi and clenched a fist. "I`m gonna defeat you!"

"Yeah right." Kurama said emotionlessly.

But what Yusuke didn`t realize was that Sango had accidently gone the wrong way into the living room and had ended up on the other side of Yusuke. "Don`t fight…" She approached Yusuke to try to get him to stop, but tripped over a piece of fallen debris. She fell forward and to keep herself from falling she wrapped her arms around Yusuke. There was a POOF and…

"What happened?! Where`d he go?" Sango questioned frantically. His clothes were piled in her arms. After digging through them for a while she finally saw what had happened to Yusuke.

"A CAT?!" Sango screamed. In her arms there was a black cat with angry brown eyes staring up at her.

~*~

Snow: This is one long chappie! I hope you liked it. Bye!

Yusuke: See ya!

~*~