Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Doll's Worth ❯ A Doll's Worth ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A DOLL'S WORTH
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess

AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Thanks to Thigi for making a suggestion on Spring festivals on an Akito ML that helped bring the premise of this story to life. There are hints of lemon and pairings, but nothing descript. I tried, but all Akki wanted to do was rant. *sighs* Contains spoilers for Chapter 97 and Chapter 101 of the manga. Told from Akito's POV. I hope you will enjoy. Standard disclaimer appears after the story.




My father once bought me the prettiest doll.

Her hair was neatly plaited and tied up. Her face was the most delicate of porcelain, ruby lips and dark eyes outlined with color. Her black kimono looked like satin in the daylight, trimmed in a deep red with embroidered flowers all over. Her yellow bow contrasted greatly with the rest of her ensemble. Tiny sandals graced her feet. She sat in a place of honor, just above my bed so I could see her when I went to sleep and when I woke in the morning.

Oh, I wanted to be like that doll. Dressed up all pretty. I wanted to wear make-up, with my hair wrapped in ribbon and coils. And I wanted everyone to look at me, notice me. To see me as the little girl I was.

But SHE wouldn't let me!

The doll disappeared days later, only to be found in a trash can by one of the servants. Her clothes had been cut, shredded. Her hair was undone, the ribbons gone. Her face had been marred with a black marker or pen. One of her sandals was missing, her opposite leg....well, it was gone. So was her left arm, pulled from its socket in a violent manner and recklessly discarded. The tears had barely formed when the yelling began.

'You do not need dolls!'

'You are not a sissy!'

'You are not a cry baby!'

'I'm raising a god, not a girl!'

Each sentence was punctuated with a slap to my face. And if I raised my hands for protection, I was hit harder. She went on for nearly an hour before wearing herself out.

I left as soon as she tired enough to turn away from me, running from my room and out into the yards of the main house. I ran, and ran, not knowing where I was going. Totally unaware of someone calling my name, shouting for me to stop. HA! I didn't stop until I'd fallen to the ground, unconscious.

When I awoke in the morning, I saw a very strange site. Strange, but delightful. My doll had been fixed!

But upon closer inspection, I realized it was not the same doll. The hair was tied back with one ribbon and her clothes were distinctly different. No longer clothed in black and red, this doll wore pink, white and gold. The crown of jewels on her head made her look like a princess. She was different, but she was beautiful.

I hid her as soon as I crawled out of bed.

To this day I have no idea who put the doll above my bed. She's worth the world to me. But she remains in hiding, a beautiful princess hidden in darkness.

Much like me.

My days are spent in an endless theatrical production. Drapped in the garb of a man. Forced to keep my hair short. My chest is taped if I have to go into public, and I have to maintain a more male, authoritative tone of voice. Even my walk, my posture, has been tailored so I don't look too feminine.

No make up is allowed.

No ribbons or bows.

Not even a pair of tiny sandals or a colorful ensemble.

I hide behind a pale facade of what my mother wants me to be. A god. Head of the house of Sohma. I was born into the role, she's said. I have to keep myself hidden.

BAH! What rubbish!

But.... There is a part of me that only remains hidden until HE appears. He's managed to bring out the woman beneath the men's clothes. He listens. He's charming, overindulgent of me. I've received so many wonderful gifts, heard so many beautiful comments. He's actually tried to understand me. Tried to help me be me.

I fell in love with him for that.

However, Shigure Sohma is a true enigma. My older cousin. Self-proclaimed ladies man and all around conniving jokester. His intentions may appear kind, but the end result is usually anything but. I knew I was getting into trouble, even at a tender age, but I couldn't help myself.

With him, I felt free. I was unashamed to be a woman. I enjoyed it when he paid attention to me, noticed the subtle changes in my body. It was even better when he showed me what it was to be a woman. He lavished my body with kisses, cradling me so gently in his arms. He knew just how to touch me, where and when. The first tentative touch of his love inside of me brought me to tears. But he kissed them away, promising that I would enjoy what was to come. Promising me that being a woman meant to experience pleasure, life.

But...even he knew what I was. A doll that could be possessed. Something to be looked at, tolerated then pushed aside. He grew up. Went off to school. I heard rumors of his womanizing ways, but silently I pined for him, awaiting each and every visit he'd promised to make. Those visits often brought only more sorrow, more pining, but occasionally they brought pleasure as well.

Still he persisted in his ways.

I will not be pushed aside!

I know his latest retaliation is only out of anger for my decision. Can't he understand how important Kureno is to me? Doesn't he realize that the bird would fly the coop had I not managed to keep him imprisoned? Shigure is a smart man. I'd hoped he would understand. I expected his angry words, knew his silence would be painful.

But dammit he's gone too far!

How DARE he do such a thing? Sleep with that...that...WHORE! To humiliate me!
And she let him! Begged him to please her! Tossed herself at him willingly, no doubt! The BITCH!

I don't want to cry. I don't! But the tears...they won't stop falling. I hate
being treated this way. I hate it. I hate THEM!

I will make them pay!

Sadness turns to anger, rage boiling in my gut. I've learned to focus my aggression. While I do not have complete control, I am still young.
I'll get the hang of it. But sometimes it's the only way to show them who's boss.

Wiping away my own tears, I lock the door to my room. Let the servants knock!
Let them question my sanity! How is one supposed to stay sane when her entire life has been orchestrated for her? I am nothing to them.

Nothing but a doll.

But a doll is worth so much more.

"Akito, why are you crying?"

Isn't that right, Kureno?

"I am NOT crying," I practically sob. "Please...go to sleep, Kureno."

Lips press against the back of my shoulder. A shiver cannot be suppressed, even as strong arms encircle my waist, pulling me closer to a welcome warmth at my back. Warm air brushes the skin of my neck as he nuzzles his nose into my hair. As angry and upset as I am, I feel myself relax slightly. He smiles against my neck, placing one last kiss there.

"See, that wasn't so bad."

No, it wasn't. And I'm grateful to him for noticing my tension. Kureno could always tell what I was feeling. Always knows just what to say and do to calm me. In some ways he is like Shigure, but there is one major difference.

He is my doll.

I allow my body to rest, my mind still contemplating the fate of the two who have wronged me. There are many things I could do. Threats will not work on my mother. Bitch! Money. Honor. Power. I can strip her of these things. Perhaps it is time she sought out a quiet life outside of the main house. I am almost of age, and I have no need of her presence here.

My heart aches, only a little, as I think about Shigure. It truly hurts me to hurt him. But he slept with that whore! I cannot forgive that, no matter what his reasoning. I will send him away. Not far, but far enough. Perhaps outside of the main house, under tight financial control and strict orders from me, he will learn his lesson. Dogs can be trained, right?

I will no longer be at my mother's mercy. I will no longer allow Shigure to manipulate me. I love him - gods help me - but I will not be pushed aside.
Taken for granted. Humiliated to tears.

"Sleep, Akito," my little bird urges with a brief hug. "All will be better in the morning."

I don't know about better. Things will certainly be different. I will toss aside the fragile rag of a doll that yearns to be free. I will allow the god to take over, and watch as all hell breaks loose.

"Oyasumi, Kureno."

I will be me.

"Oyasumi nasai."

Akito.

Let them be afraid.

For they will learn what a doll is truly worth.


~FIN~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^