Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Natural Reaction ❯ A Natural Reaction ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A NATURAL REACTION
A Fruits Basket Birthday fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Happy Belated Birthday, Yui-chan! This one is just for you, in the pairing of your choice: Yuki x Hanajima. No lemon, but somewhat WAFFy in parts. Hope you don't mind! >.< Told from Hanajima's point of view because she's been FIESTY lately. Worse than Akito! Comments are welcome. A Standard Disclaimer appears at the end of the story.




Looking back, the situation was almost...amusing.

I was wet and cold. Hungry...but only a little. Alone in the woods.

Well, not totally alone.

Several hours had gone by. I knew this not because of a watch, but because the sun had set. It was dark. Gray overtones dusted with a hint of black shadow.

It was still sunny when the camp leader decided it would be fun to go rafting. The class was immediately paired up. Most rafts had a team of four. But as luck would have it, the raft I was to navigate only had one other person. My partner.

The rain had been a surprise to everyone. Quickly the camp leader led a many rafts to shore as possible. The river kicked up quickly, water rising and rushing. It was unfortunate that the raft ahead of us almost capsized.

More unfortunate that our raft did overturn.

As lazy as I can be during gym class, I am able to swim if the situation calls for it. This is a perfect example. I managed to push myself above the rushing water, the cries of classmates hitting my ears. Their jumbled screams were indecipherable, but I could easily sense their worry. I kicked as hard as I could toward shore, but as hard as I worked I felt myself getting pushed further and further downstream.

Relief flooded me when I felt a hand latch onto my wrist. I was certain I was saved. Moving closer to shore I tried to keep up the kicking that had saved my life so far. Half dragged to the shoreline, I collapsed on the muddy patch of land, trying to catch my breath.

"Are you all right...Hanajima-san?"

I was not surprised that my savior had been the person I was paired up with. My partner. His more feminine frame hides toned muscle, a strong physique. Good at sports, but better with academics. He looked as winded as I, but I managed to answer:

"Hai, Sohma-san. Are you...all right?"

"Hai. Just need to...catch...my breath."

My eyes took in the sight of Yuki Sohma. Silverish-gray hair was slicked downward and clinging to face. His eyes, while as tired as the rest of him, searched the area for signs of shelter. His clothing - a standard issue school gym uniform - was pasted to his body, showing off a little of that strong physique. My observations presented a wonderful mental image, only to be overshadowed by the truth.

Quite frankly, he looked like a drowned rat.

Although, he made a very cute image of a rat.

"I think we should head inland," he suggested after only a moment. He nodded to the river. "In case of flooding."

I nodded in return. My body was not happy to have to walk any length of distance - and we did walk quite a ways - but we found an abandoned cabin that looked like luxurious sanctuary. We both ran for the door, Sohma-san knocking on the door. After several short rounds of pounding on the door, there was no answer. Thankfully the door was not locked and we snuck inside.

The cabin was empty. An old cot sat in one corner with an equally old blanket. There was a chair in the opposite corner. But other than that, there was nothing. Not even dry wood to burn in the old stove.

This might be the best time to mention that I hate camping. The term "roughing it", to me, means having to go a day or two without power. Sleeping on the ground and having to cook over an open fire held no thrill for me. I do not even like to bath in a river full of living things. Still, our campsite had more to offer than our current surroundings.

"I'll look for something to start a fire," Yuki said.

We both searched for anything that could be used to start a fire. Settling for a few twigs and some wood shavings from the lone window frame, he tossed them into the old stove. Standing he looked around the cabin again. What was there to start the fire with?

"Allow me," I said, crouching down beside the stove. This was not a normal application of my abilities. It was best used to intimidate determined fangirls and bullies. Still, it was a bit gratifying to know that my denpa was good for something other than simple harassment.

Sohma-san was equally impressed. His smile lit the room more than the tiny fire that now burned in the stove. A smile that quickly faded, turning into a scowl as the scent of old and dead things wafted into the room.

Thankfully the smell passed in a matter of minutes.

The minutes, however, passed very slowly.

We managed to make ourselves at home. It was...unusual...with the tense silence between us. The situation itself was tense. While I was no stranger, Yuki was still pensive. I was not entirely comfortable, either. Crouched together as close as we would allow the other near, our minds wandered aimlessly.

I was "awakened" by a loud, hoarse cough. Turning my head only a fraction of an inch, I could see Yuki with his hand over his mouth. The fit lasted only a few seconds.

"Are you all right?"

His smile was less bright than before, but I still believed it. "I'm fine."

We continued to sit in silence. Asking questions would have been pointless. Of course, neither of us were that bored at the moment. Perhaps later.

But as the hours wore on, so did Yuki's coughing fits.

Playing house had never been a favorite game of mine, but I could not ignore motherly instinct. Since becoming friends with Tohru, I had learned to trust this instinct. It told me that something was not right. Glancing carefully at Yuki, I understood why.

His usually pale skin was nearly translucent. He looked pained every time he coughed. Very quickly he was getting ill. Then I realized why.

His wet clothes.

Immediately, and without hesitation, I moved closer to him. I did not do anything as minor as check his temperature. No. Boldly I reached for his shirt. He moved back as fast as he could, only to be stopped by another round of coughing. I waited for him to look at me before I explained.

"You need to be rid of your wet clothes."

He shook his head, trying to smile. It has worked on me so far. "I'm fine. Nothing *cough* to worry about."

"You are catching a cold."

"It's nothing."

"Tohru-kun will not think so."

The mention of our common friend's name was enough to make him pause. He did not think about it long, however, before nodding. "You're right, Hanajima-san. It would not do to become ill while trying to rescue you."

"I am not concerned for myself."

"You are wearing wet clothes as well," he stated.

"True." It was only a few steps to the old cot and back. I knelt with the blanket in my hands. "But if what Tohru-kun has told me is true, illness for you can lead to other serious health problems."

The information had come out in jovial conversation. His eyes widened as he remembered, then seemed surprised - and pleased - that I would remember such a quipped comment. He appeared ready to argue, but he thought better of it. His smile returned, while only a shadow of its former self.

"I will turn my back," I told him, standing again. "Please wrap yourself up in the blanket."

His nod was the only affirmation I received as I turned my back on him. In my mind I could picture him peeling the shirt off, revealing smooth flesh. My more - insidious - nature forced me to imagine the white skin of his thighs as the shorts were forced to the ground. They slapped the hard floor, sending a shiver down my spine. Did he wear boxers or briefs? I was certain that information would've gotten me some favors from his fan club. But I remained facing a wall, decaying as it was, thankful to my imagination for something to do.

"I'm finished," he said in a somewhat quiet voice.

Holding my breath, I turned around. There was nothing short of surprise in my eyes, I was sure. He had stripped down to nothing but his bare skin. The blanket laid over his lower half. He had placed himself in a position before the stove so that he would be warm. That was the point after all.

But nothing could have surprised me more than what he said next.

"I think Hanajima-san should also get rid of her wet clothes."

My mind dazed at the darker implication, while my mouth managed to answer, "There isn't another blanket."

His skin colored slightly as he replied, "There is more than enough here." He lifted the blanket to indicate the extra material. "We can share."

"That would not be...appropriate."

"In any other circumstance *cough* I would *cough* agree." He inhaled deeply before continuing. "But it would be best if we both avoided illness."

I should not have hesitated. Any other girl from our class - besides Tohru, maybe Arisa - would not have been so restrained. But we are both creatures of propriety, he and I. I sighed.

"If our classmates find us--"

"It will be...awkward, I agree. But there is plenty of room. And...." He blushed again. "You do not have to take off ALL of your clothes."

True enough. I was tired of feeling clammy thanks to my sodden wear. Even my braid stuck to my back. I shivered again, more out of cold than imagination this time.

"Would you be so kind as to turn your head? So I may undress?"

I don't think he realized he was staring at me until that moment. "Of course!" Recovering from shock, he turned on his side, closing his eyes and hiding them against an arm.

Anticipation burned within me. Mostly to get the wet clothes off of my body. My imagination painted pretty pictures of what waited under the blanket, but my propriety and...well, nerves...doused any flame they would have created. Laying both his clothes - every article, I noticed - and mine - yes, all of them - in such a manner that they had hope of drying before dawn, I made my way over to the blanket. Carefully I covered myself with only what was needed.

"I am...finished," I said.

Yuki's entire frame seemed to relax. I could tell by the sudden sink of the blanket as he released his breath. He turned his head slightly, eyes open. "Better?"

"Hai."

"Perhaps we should rest now. So we can start for camp at dawn."

I nodded, but I was not sure he noticed. "A good idea."

We settled under the blanket, each of us taking only what we needed. I turned my back to him, knowing his back was to me. I prayed to the gods that tonight I would not hog all the blankets. I had a nasty habit of it. I closed my eyes, preparing my mind for sleep when he spoke again, quietly.

"The fire should burn all night."

"Hai."

"And our clothes should be dry by dawn."

"Mostly, yes."

A pause. "How far do you think we are?"

"I would not even know how to wager a guess."

Another pause. "Hanajima-san?"

"Hai."

"Are you all right?"

I paused, tilting my head to one side, then answered. "I am strangely comfortable."

"Strangely?"

"I do not mean that in a bad way," I tried to explain, my mind now calling for rest after a long ordeal. "It's quiet here. No screaming. No noise."

"No fanclub."

I could hear the smile on his face. "Hai. No adoring fans for the prince."

"They are rather annoying, aren't they?"

We were having a pleasant conversation, but my head kept telling me to sleep. I stifled a yawn, hoping he would not hear. When he echoed my tired sound, I could only smile.

"How do you fare, Sohma-san?"

"I am...strangely happy."

That was a surprising answer. Not sure of what else to say, I copied an earlier response from him. "Strangely."

"Not in a bad way, mind you." He was quick to interject. "I am...comfortable around you, Hanajima-san. I'm not sure if...if I would be able to do this with anyone else."

I yawned again, the sound louder than the first. "What about Tohru-kun?"

"I would be comfortable, yes, but...I think I would worry too much."

"Or Arisa?"

"She's capable of taking care of herself, although I would still worry a little."

"What about Kyo?"

He chuckled, which turned into another loud yawn. "We'd probably kill each other."

I finally got to the question I should've asked in the first place. "Why me?"

"I'm not sure." It was an honest answer. "I am worried, but you are fully capable of handling yourself in dangerous situations. I really don't understand it myself. But...arigato."

Thank you? "For what?"

He yawned again, causing me to echo this time. Sleep could be heard in his voice. "For simply being here."

"Oh." I had no better reply.

"Oyasumi nasai."

I closed my eyes then, feeling my mind close in as sleep beckoned. "Oyasumi nasai, Sohma-san."




"Hello?! Is anyone in there?!"

The sound of people yelling woke me just after dawn. I sat up, quickly realizing two things. First, it was cold in the room. The fire must've died during the night. That didn't bode very well for our clothes. Not that they had much of a chance anyway.

Secondly, I was still naked. Quickly gathering the blanket to my front, I looked over at Sohma-san. He appeared to be awake...but not quite. His eyes blinked sleepily, a tired fog still clouding his mind.

But more surprising was the fact that he was close enough to touch. Not that he hadn't been within arm's reach before. He was much closer now, lying in a position that would've spooned me - correction, probably did spoon me - as I lay asleep.

Trying not to think of his nearness and the curiosity still poking at me, I asked tentatively, "Sohma-san?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you awake?"

"I hear someone yelling outside."

"I think that would be our camp leader."

Yuki did not appear to be an early morning person. Running on automatic, without realizing how close he was to me, or the condition he was in, he tossed the blanket aside and moved for his clothes. I think it was the cold air in the room that finally woke him up.

That, or the sudden realization that he was naked.

I'll admit that I did get a look in before he dropped and grabbed the blanket to cover up at least some of himself. I will not, however, say whether I was amazed or not. As I have no real point of reference, there is really nothing to say.

It didn't help my rather vivid imagination, though.

"You should dress first," I told him, turning my head away and closing my eyes. "I will dress when you are finished."

He didn't answer but I heard him get up and walk over to the cot where our clothes were laid out. I listened as he dressed, noticing the still wet sounds. Our clothes were not completely dry, but hopefully more bearable. He cleared his throat as he finished. When I looked up, he had turned his back to me and stepped closer to the door.

"I believe it's your turn."

I was grateful for his kind manner, although I wouldn't have minded him looking all that much. I have some modesty, but for some reason, it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Perhaps it was that "comfort" factor we had discussed the night before.

My clothes were damp, still wanting to stick to my now dry skin, but I would bear it until I could get back to camp and change. Perhaps bathing in the river would not be a bad thing after all. While the floor looked inviting, it was not terribly comfortable. Joints cracked and popped as I dressed. When I was finished, I looked over to Yuki. He was blushing a color red not usually seen on his face.

I wonder, could he have looked?

The smile that appeared couldn't be stopped.

My smile seemed to be the thing to bring him back to reality. He managed a small smile back before waving to the door. The shouts were louder now and our classmates, no doubt, would be upon us any second. As a matter of fact, as we stepped out the door, one of classmates screamed to a teacher.

"It's them! We found them! We found Yuki and Saki!"

The class seemed to converge quickly and we had barely made it down the few stairs to solid ground. Question after question was asked. Were we okay? How did we manage to spend the night in an old cabin? And there was the often whispered mutter about "why couldn't I have gotten lost with Yuki".

Tohru-kun and had latched onto my arm and wouldn't let go. Nor would she stop asking Yuki if he was okay. Kyo gave us a quick nod as he approached and Arisa hid a smile. She asked if we were all right, and only nodded as we answered.

The teacher lectured us first for our intellect at finding shelter and surviving the night in the woods on our own. That had been the purpose of the trip from the start. Then he proceeded to tell us how dangerous it would've been and to never get separated from the group again.

"Let's head back to camp," the camp leader said.

Everyone moaned at the prospect of walking back. Apparently it had been quite a hike. Still, a change of clothes and bath sounded really nice, no matter the setting.

"Ano, Sohma-kun," Tohru whispered. "Why are you holding Hana-chan's hand?"

We looked at each other, then downward. Our hands were indeed clasped. How? Why? When? I certainly didn't remember reaching for his hand.

"A natural reaction, Honda-san," Yuki said with a smile bright enough to light the sky. "We've been through a horrible ordeal, and lucky to have our lives."

"Looks like you've bonded, too," Arisa commented with that know it all smile of hers. She could be very insightful at times.

"More like a shared experience," I said. "Although I hope I do not almost have to drown to spend some time with my friends."

"Of course not!" Tohru-kun was quick to react.

"Yeah," Arisa said with a wink.

"Whatever," Kyo said as he walked ahead of us. "Let's go. I missed breakfast."

"AH! I have a granola bar if you want it, Kyo-kun."

"Nah, keep it. You might need it for the walk back."

"But--!"

"Don't argue with him, Tohru. Let me."

Yuki and I followed behind our friends, hands still loosely clasped together. Perhaps it was just a natural reaction to our close encounter experience. But there was definitely more there. Emotionally and physically. More than either of us was willing to admit at the time.

The following week, we started dating.

And the week after that we shared our first kiss.

But those are stories best kept for another time.


~OWARI~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^