Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Acting ❯ Relax ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I thank you all for being so understanding! You are such wonderful people! And to loretta537, the answer to your fist question is probably within a few chapters.
 
On with the story!
 
------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 11 Relax
 
The boys were able to get a few hours rest before Hatori came to collect them for dinner.
 
“Just to warn you, I think activities will be planned over dinner,” he said.
 
“Oh joy,” Kyo grumbled as he and Yuki joined Hatori in the hall, “And here I thought the rabbit had already finished that and we just got to do whatever he wanted.”
 
“I can name at least two people who will want in on the planning,” Hatori said, voice flat but a hint of a smile on his lips.
 
A moment later Shigure, Ayame, Tohru and Momiji rounded the corner, all of them talking excitedly about what they were going to do over the next several days.
 
Yuki narrowed his eyes. “How long are we going to be here exactly?”
 
Hatori raised an eyebrow. “Didn't Ayame tell you?”
 
“He said to pack for about a week.”
 
“I see, we will be here for four days, not including today.”
 
Kyo groaned. Four days trapped in the mountains with poor ribs and a pack of morons. He heard Yuki sigh and guessed that he was thinking something similar. On the plus side, the only acting required was the acting for drama and that didn't require him to do much. The boys had agreed to just practice the lines they had between their two characters which, as another plus, were few in number.
 
“Kyo, Yuki! You wanna go ride horses with us?” Momiji asked suddenly.
The boys just stared at him.
“What?”
They turned to Hatori who rolled his eyes.
“That's not advisable Momiji. Neither Kyo's ribs nor Yuki's leg would appreciate a trail ride no matter how gentle the horse.”
 
“Oh, right.” Momiji looked rather put out.
 
“Would you walk with us to the stables?” Tohru asked.
 
Yuki looked pleadingly to Hatori again, but Hatori was busy putting them in the wait for a table at the restaurant. Kyo didn't bother. He knew they weren't going to get out of that request.
 
“I guess,” he said, not sounding enthused in the least.
 
It didn't matter. Tohru still thanked him happily and Momiji perked right back up.
 
“You two will have to join us for the picnic we're planning. It's on the slopes and not far down the trail, so no excuses,” Shigure informed them with a grin.
 
“Us? Make excuses? Never!” Kyo exclaimed, looking both shocked and offended. Nearly everyone laughed and Hatori and Ayame clapped.
 
“Now I see why you got such an important character. You're good,” Hatori said.
 
“But he's right,” Yuki said, looking sincere, “They're not excuses. We simply can not do some of these activities and we would not want to dampen your fun.”
 
Everyone, except Kyo, stared at him. He looked so honest, and had such a soft smile on his face, and spun his words so nicely, that they were inclined to believe that he wasn't being sarcastic.
 
Kyo just snickered. “You've stunned then into silence, Yuki. I guess that means you win.”
 
Yuki's soft expression melted into a smirk.
 
“You're very good,” Shigure muttered, eyes narrowed.
 
“You guys are amazing!” Tohru cried. “Can I watch you practice your lines at some point?”
 
Momiji's eyes lit up. “Me too! Me too! I wanna see!”
 
“Oh hell no…” Kyo began.
 
“I'd like to see that too! You never practice at home,” Shigure interrupted.
 
“It would be interesting,” Hatori agreed quietly.
 
“They can show us during the picnic!” Ayame said with a giggle.
 
“No.” Yuki said flatly.
 
“Oh please little brother! It would be so wonderful to see such another display of your magnificent skills!” Ayame pleaded.
 
“Absolutely not.”
 
“Please Yuki-kun! It doesn't have to be much, I would just love to see a little of the play you're doing,” Tohru asked beseechingly.
 
“I don't…”
 
“Excuse me.”
 
Everyone turned to the hostess.
 
“Your table is ready,” she told them, “If you would please follow me.”
 
“Of course,” Shigure replied pleasantly. They followed the hostess to a long table with eight chairs. Shigure, Ayame and Hatori all sat on one side of the table. Tohru, Momiji, Kyo and Yuki sat across from them, Kyo helping Yuki into his seat at the end of the table before taking his own seat next to him. Even though they didn't have to they still sat close. It was a habit by this point. A bus boy, seeing Yuki's condition, came and removed the extra chair so that Yuki could stretch out his leg. Yuki offered a charming smile and thanked him before returning to the menu. The restaurant's choices were an interesting mix of traditional Japanese and assorted Western dishes.
 
After ordering, the four at the other end of the table went back to their planning, with Hatori occasionally adding a comment.
 
Kyo sighed.
 
“Think we should try to interfere with that?” he muttered to Yuki, jerking his head at the others.
 
“Why bother? I doubt we'll win much. Just let them plan and we'll escape from them when we can,” Yuki mumbled as he stretched out a little more.
 
“Like when? By the sounds of it we're hiking tomorrow, having a picnic and being a show the next day, and then escorting everyone to the stables the day after that,” Kyo growled.
 
Yuki glowered at him. “Quit being so resigned to it. There will be chances to escape.”
 
“Hmph.”
 
A somewhat comfortable silence fell between the two and persisted until after their drinks arrived.
 
“Yuki, Kyo.”
 
The two looked at Hatori.
 
“I just wanted to remind you to be careful. Since you aren't going to be allowed to stay in the lodge the entire time you're going to have to watch out for things that might re-injure you.” He said this loud for the rest of the table to hear over their conversation.
 
Kyo huffed and gave him a questioning look, but Yuki understood.
 
“We'll be careful, Hatori. None of the paths looked steep enough to give either of us any real problems.”
 
“Good.”
 
He turned back to watching the others converse and merely raised an eyebrow when Shigure caught his eye and quietly applauded him.
 
Dinner continued without incident, though Ayame and Momiji kept trying to get Yuki and Kyo to participate in the conversation. Finally, dinner was over and everyone returned to their rooms.
 
“Finally,” Kyo grumbled after the others stopped saying good-night and he could close the door. He was tired of half of them already and the trip had just started. Yuki made some vague noise of agreement as he dug his night clothes out of his bag. Kyo watched as he sat on the edge of his bed and began trying to pull his pants off. Even though he was wearing loose pants it was still a challenge to get them over the cast. After watching him struggle for a few minutes Kyo sighed.
 
“You want a hand?” he asked.
 
“No,” Yuki answered with a frustrated sigh, “But I'll accept your offer.”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes and moved to help. It took him almost no time to work the pants off.
 
“Think you can handle the rest?” He asked with a smirk.
 
Yuki growled and smacked him over the head. “Oh shut up.” Yuki stood up and hobbled into the bathroom. Kyo chuckled softly.
 
Maybe something good will come out of this.
 
“Quit laughing at me and do your physical therapy!” Yuki shouted through the door.
 
“Fine, Mom.”
 
 
Riiiiinnnnnggg!!!
 
“What the fuck…?” Kyo grumbled the next morning. The phone was obnoxiously loud and the ring managed to sound cheerful. He grabbed the phone, base and all, just seconds before a half asleep Yuki tried to destroy it. It rang again and Kyo picked up the receiver and put it to his ear.
 
“What?!” He shouted at the person on the other end.
 
“Time to get up Kyo!” Shigure's happy voice sang out.
 
Kyo held the phone away from himself to just stare at it. No one should be that cheerful in the morning.
 
“How about not?” Kyo said after he stopped staring at the phone.
 
“Oh come on! It's nine already. Did you not get a lot of sleep?”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes at the lecherous tone. “That's your department, perv.”
 
“And he does it so well!”
 
“What the hell?” Kyo muttered.
 
Ayame's squeal made Kyo realize he must be on speaker phone.
 
“Will both of you quit pestering him and get ready?” Came Hatori's calm voice.
 
“Fine Ha-chan, you can perster him then.”
 
Kyo could just see Shigure's pout. There was a rustle and Kyo assumed that Shigure must have gotten off the bed.
 
“Thanks Hatori,” he said.
 
“It's nothing, but I am going to ask that you boys get up now. Knowing Yuki on a normal day, it could take a while.”
 
Kyo glanced over at Yuki who was glaring at him. Kyo swallowed hard.
 
“How about I get ready and then you send someone else?” Kyo asked.
 
“Sorry, get him moving,” Hatori said and then hung up the phone.
 
Damn them!
 
“Er…”
 
“Just tell me which one called so I can hurt them later,” Yuki interrupted him with a hiss.
 
“Shigure.”
 
Yuki nodded before climbing out of bed and hobbling to the bathroom. Kyo wasn't even going to protest him taking it. Evil morning Yuki might not currently be mad at him but that could change very quickly.
 
When Yuki emerged form the bathroom several minutes later he seemed much calmer.
 
“Do you want any help with your clothes, Yuki?” Kyo asked in the most neutral voice he could.
 
Yuki shook his head. “No thank you. On is much easier then off.”
 
“Cool.”
 
Kyo stepped into the bathroom and Yuki moved to put on his clothes for the day.
 
----------------------
 
“Did you really need to hit me so hard Yuki?” Shigure whined as he set his breakfast plate down at the table.
 
“It shouldn't even bruise so stop whining.”
 
“Ah but Yuki, we'll have to call every morning to make sure you and Kyo are ready for the day!”
 
“I'm sure we can use the alarm on the clock,” Kyo grumbled.
 
“But getting a personal wake up call is so much better!” Momiji chirped.
 
“Screw that, the alarm is easier to shut up.”
 
“Playing nice children?” Hatori asked sarcastically as he, Ayame and Tohru joined the rest at the table.
 
“Of course,” Shigure said innocently, “just furthering our plans for the day!”
 
“I see.”
 
“We're hiking, right?” Tohru asked.
 
“Yep!” Momiji exclaimed. “Should we all go together or split up?”
 
“Split up.” Yuki said immediately.
 
Ayame looked at him suspiciously. “You wouldn't be saying that in hopes of avoiding our company for several hours would you, dearest little brother?”
 
Yuki gave him a blank look.
 
Ayame smiled brightly and turned to Momiji and Tohru.
 
“Why don't the two of you take Yuki and Kyo exploring with you? Shigure, Hatori and I can investigate some of the points of interest.”
 
“That sounds fun, Ayame-san!” Tohru said happily. “Don't you think so?” she asked the boys with a smile.
 
Yuki and Kyo, defenseless before that innocent smile, just sighed in defeat.
 
“Then it's settled! Let's finish eating so we can explore!”
 
“Yeah!” Tohru, Shigure, and Momiji cheered. Hatori just raised his tea cup.
 
“What was that you'd said about escape?” Kyo whispered to Yuki.
 
Yuki rolled his eyes.
 
“That you need to stop being so resigned to this torture and keep your eyes open. There will be opportunities.”
 
Kyo shook his head and picked up his cup.
 
“There are less pleasant forms of torture.”
 
Kyo lowered the cup slowly. He'd heard this voice before so either he was going crazy or this was something to do with the damned curse.
 
“Yes, that curse would be one such.”
 
Kyo growled softly.
 
Who are you?
 
A pause, as if whatever this was needed to think about how it answered.
 
“Soon, you'll know soon.”
 
Kyo stabbed his piece of grilled salmon in annoyance, as if he didn't have enough problems as it was. Things just kept getting better and better.
 
--------------
 
So there you have it! I hope everyone enjoyed it! I'll try to get the next one up as soon as possible and thanks again for being so patient with me! Hugs for you all!!!!