Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Does A Vegetable Really Belong In A Fruit Basket? ❯ Chatpter One: Wait A Minute, WHAT?! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
OK. So, my first class is Math in Class 1-D. Alright., Katrina’s sapphire orbs scanned the small papered schedule that she held in her right hand. Refolding the paper, she placed it back in her pocket & gently flipped her silky golden hair out of her face. Katrina Rivera was seventeen years-old with a slim but, muscular & athletic body for someone of her age & gender. Her gentle eyes hiding a past no one knew & long, soft hair that went to her rear but, was right now tied up in a low ponytail. And, her body clothed in a navy blue girl’s uniform. Readjusting her shoulder bag’s strap, Katrina made her way down the high school’s hallway making the sneakers on her feet echo throughout the hall. But, that wasn’t the only noise that rung in her ears. There was also the sounds of whispers. In the corners of her eyes she could see both guys & girls whispering to each other, pointing, & staring at her. Unfortunately, Katrina was use to this much attention. Though it wasn’t her opinion but, many thought she was actually quite beautiful. Will everyone just stop staring at me? Jeez. Have they never seen an American before or something?, she thought sighing. Shrugging off the stares, Katrina continued to walk to her class she was supposedly suppose to go to. Eventually, she arrived at the classroom 1-D & she hesitated at the closed door. Taking a deep breath, Katrina closed her eyes then, reopened them & entered the room. Just like in the hall, she instantly felt stares but, Katrina ignored them & just made her way to the teacher’s desk in front of the class. He looked her way as she approached. Katrina handed him her a piece a paper on her information. Taking it, the teacher read it carefully & nodded gazing to his class.
“Class! We have a new student!” he announced as Katrina faced the group. All the boys seemed to be nearly drooling all over her while some well, most of the girls gave her nasty or jealous looks.
“Everyone! I’d like you to meet Miss. Katrina Rivera from America! She will be part of our class from now on! Please make her feel at home!”, the teacher stated. He peered to Katrina. “I will be your teacher, Mr. Horo. Is this anything you’d like to tell the class about yourself, Miss. Rivera?” Katrina stared at him then, to the class where everyone had their eyes on her. She swallowed hard not very comfortable with being the center of attention.
“Um….”, Katrina thought for a minute. “I guess, you all can call me ‘Kat’ or ‘Trina’ if you want. That’s uh….it, I think.”
Mr. Horo nodded., “Alright than. Please take the empty seat next Mr. Kyo Sohma & Miss. Tohru Honda. They’re the orange haired boy & the brunette girl.” Seeing the empty seat, Katrina nodded slightly & made her way down the aisle sitting in her seat.
“Okay, class! Now, onto the lesson! We shall start on algebraic equations! ” the teacher stated & turned his back to the class to begin writing on the chalk board. Rolling her eyes, Katrina knew everything there was to know in math. Some say she was a mathematic genius but, she didn’t think so. Math just came to her easily, like science did for her. But, Katrina took out her notebook & wrote down all the notes the teacher was writing.
“Hi.” whispered a voice to her right. Jumping slightly, Katrina peered to her right to see the girl, she assumed was named Tohru Honda, was smiling at her.
“Um….hey.” Katrina greeted back in a whisper.
“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Tohru Honda. Welcome to our school.” Tohru gave Katrina an inviting grin.
“Uh….Katrina Rivera but, I guess you kind of already knew that. It’s uh….nice to meet you too. And, thanks.” Katrina said back returning the smile with a small, shy one.
“Miss. Honda! Miss. Rivera!”, called the teacher making both girls jump & look to the front of the room. He looked slightly angry. “If you two young ladies are quite finished chatting, I’d like to continue teaching.”
“Sorry, Mr. Horo!” the girls apologized returning back to their notes. Shaking his head, Mr. Horo went back to the board.

Morning classes had finally finished & the bell rung for lunch. Seeing everyone leaving the classroom, Katrina slowly gathered her stuff into her backpack & stood pushing her seat back.
“Hey, Kat!” called a voice excitedly.
“Hm?”, Katrina turned her head to see Tohru standing there at her desk smiling. “Oh, hey, Tohru. Um…what’s up?”
“I was wondering, do have anyone to sit with for lunch?” Tohru asked walking up beside her.
Katrina shook her head., “No. I don’t actually.”
Tohru’s grin just grew bigger., “Than, you can sit with my friends & I!”
“What?!” Katrina jumped. “Oh, I don’t know, Tohru…”
“Nonsense! They’re really nice.”, Tohru reassured grabbing Katrina’s hand & started to drag her off out of the room. “Come on!” Blinking a few times, Katrina just stared at the brunette girl as she dragged her off. Seeing there was no point in protesting, she just sighed & let Tohru take her to the school’s cafeteria. Shortly, the two girls arrived in cafeteria that was filled with laughter & chatter.
“Yo, Tohru! Over here!” came a girl’s voice making Tohru look to a table surrounded by four boys & two girls. One boy turned out to be Kyo, another had deep gray hair with violet eyes, another boy had light blonde hair & caramel eyes, & the last boy had white & black hair (which Katrina wondered if it was natural) & deep gray eyes. And, the two girls had blonde hair & blue eyes but, a different shade than Katrina’s & the last girl had long black hair & violet eyes.
“Oh, hi, guys!” Tohru beamed & dashed over to the table. Does that girl always smile?, Katrina pondered to herself watching Tohru skip to the group.
“Kat!”, Tohru called making Katrina jump from her thoughts & look to see Tohru waving her over. “Come here! Meet my friends!”
“Um….OK!” Katrina replied jogging over to her as Tohru sat. Giving Katrina a smile, Tohru patted the seat next to her. Peering around at the table, she saw everyone’s eyes were on her making Katrina uncomfortable.
“Oh! Duh!”, Tohru slapped her head chuckling then, pointed to Katrina. “Everyone, this Kat.”
“Um…hi.” Katrina sheepishly waved.
“You’re Miss. Rivera. The new exchange student, am I correct?” asked the gray haired boy politely.
She nodded., “Yeah but, Kat’s fine.”
“You’re the new Yankee right?” Kyo questioned in a rude voice. Katrina & some others glared at him slightly from his rude remark.
“If you mean American, yes. That’s me.” Katrina answered.
“So, you’re American too? What part?” asked the blonde girl.
“Um…..New York.” Katrina peered to her.
“Really?! Another New Yorker! Nice!” the blonde gave Katrina a high five.
Tohru giggled., “Uo’s an American too but, she’s lived here since middle school.”
“I couldn’t have guessed.” Katrina gave a nervous chuckle.
“Anyway,” Tohru began to speak again. “I have to introduce you to everyone, Kat.”
“This is Saki Hanajima. But, we just call her Hana.” Tohru demonstrated to the black haired girl that sat on the other side of Katrina.
Staring at Katrina, Hana eyed her closely., “Hm. You have very positive electric waves that are slightly effected by negative energy.” Swallowing hard, Katrina took aback creeped out. It seemed some others at the table made a creeped out face as well but, they seemed not as Katrina was.
“Uh…heh…” was all Katrina could say with a nervous grin.
“Sorry ‘bout her, Kat. Hana’s sort of a psychic.” the blonde girl explained then, gazed to Hana. “Hana. Try not to scare off the new girl.”
“Um…..anyway, the one next to me-”, Tohru continued pointing to the blonde girl. “-is Ansa Uotani or just Uo.”
“Then, this is Hatusharu Sohma but, Haru is fine.” Tohru directed to the black & white haired boy.
“Then, next to him is Momiji Sohma.” she showed the short blonde boy dressed in the girl’s uniform. Katrina merely waved to them both, who gave her a smile.
“Then, this is Yuki Sohma.” Tohru pointed to the gray haired boy.
“Hello.” he smiled.
“Hi.” Katrina nodded.
“And, finally, this is Kyo Sohma.” Tohru finished pointed to Kyo.
“Yeah. I sit next to Kyo in class.” Katrina admitted.
“Oh, right!” Tohru nodded with a smile. Giving a small smile, Katrina gave off a soft giggle.
“So, um…are the four of you guys related? I mean, I guess Sohma is a common name, I think but, still.” Katrina questioned curiously peering to the four boys.
“Yes. We’re all cousins, Miss. Rivera.” Yuki replied with a warm smile then, pointed to Kyo. “Though, I’m related not by choice to him.” Instantly, Kyo jumped up & shot daggers at Yuki.
“Shut up, ya damn rat! If I had a choice I wouldn’t be related to you either!” he snapped furiously.
“Don’t yell, you stupid cat. You’re making Miss. Rivera uncomfortable.” Yuki closed his eyes dully.
“Oh, please. Don’t involve me.” Katrina waved her hands as the two of them continued to argue. I guess those two don’t get along too well., she assumed watching them snap back & forth at each other. After that, after the two of them settled down (well, more like Kyo & Yuki just ignored each other) the others chatted away comfortably. Surprisingly, Katrina found the aura shockingly comfortable & warm. She actually, started to like the others. They seemed quite nice.

Lunch was over & everyone was leaving for their afternoon classes along with Katrina. Alone, she walked to her next class down the hallway. Everyone seemed so nice. Even Kyo, I guess. It’s nice to find such inviting people so quickly coming to a new country. I wonder how Matt & Jen are doing though., Katrina thought gazing out the passing windows as she headed back to class 1-D.
“Hey, new girl!” someone called. Assuming she was the only new student in school, Katrina peered behind her to see Kyo jogging up to her.
“Kyo?”, she questioned stopping as he stopped right in front of Katrina. “Is something wrong?”
“Uh…it’s Katrina, right?” he asked sticking his hands in his pockets.
“Um…yeah but, Kat is fine.” Katrina nodded slightly confused not seeing exactly where this conversation was heading.
“Right. Well, uh…….”, Kyo began looking away with his hand rubbing the back of his neck nervously. There was also surprisingly a small pink tinge to his cheeks but, it was hard to tell. “I um….wanted to…….er….t-to….dammit!” Why is he having such a hard time speaking? It’s actually quite cute. I DID NOT JUST SAY THAT! Well, it is., Katrina giggled softly seeing how scrunched up Kyo’s face was.
“Calm down, Kyo. Now, just look at me.”, Katrina shook off her laughter. He tried to look but, couldn’t. “C’mon. Look at me.” Slowly, Kyo made eye contact with her nervously.
“There you go. Now, tell me what you have to say.” she said calmly.
He sighed deeply clearing his throat., “OK. I uh….wanted to….er…I wanted to apologize for being rude at lunch! Geez!” Kyo turned red & looked away again making Katrina giggle but, smile. I guess, he’s not exactly one to say he’s sorry much., she assumed.
“Apology accepted. But, there was no real reason to apologize for that.” Katrina reassured. Kyo jumped & looked slightly angry.
“Damn rat. Makin’ me apologize when I didn’t have to. I’ll beat the-” Kyo began to mumble to himself.
“If it seemed like I was uncomfortable. I really wasn’t.”, Katrina admitted making Kyo look to her. “It’s just that I was quiet because, usually, in front of new people, I get awfully shy. So, please don’t say you’re sorry. But, thank you for being one of the people for making me feel welcome on my first day.” Blinking a few times, Kyo just stared at her.
“Um…you’re welcome, I guess.” he looked away with a nervous hand behind his head. Katrina smiled then, realized she had class to go to.
“Oh, snap!” she exclaimed.
“What?!” Kyo jumped.
“We still have class!”
“Damn! We’re gonna be late!”, Kyo figured it out with wide eyes. “Lets go!”
“Right!” Katrina nodded dashing off down the hall to her class with Kyo quickly following.

The bell rang throughout the school announcing the end of the school day. Placing everything she didn’t need for the night, Katrina closed her locker & began to exit the building. The day turned out to be a lot better than Katrina would have assumed. She thought she made friends so quickly & they seemed like a really weird but, nice group. But, now, I still have work. Yippee!, she thought sighing & hanging her head. Well, just as Katrina descended down the school’s stairs, she heard her name. Turning, she saw Tohru, Kyo, & Yuki walking up to her.
“Hey, guys.” Katrina greeted.
“Hey. You going home, Kat?” Tohru asked with her usual bright smile.
She shook her head., “No. I have to go somewhere else before I go home tonight.”
“Oh.”
“Would you like us to walk you there, Miss. Rivera? Since you’re new, you might know the town as well.” Yuki suggested politely. Katrina jumped. No! NO! That would be really bad! I can’t let them see my life outside school! I just met them! That would be so bad!, she thought frantically.
“Um…no! That’s OK! I know my way around perfectly! Thanks anyway! Uh…..thanks! Bye!” Katrina smiled nervously with a strangely high voice then, dashed off leaving Kyo, Tohru, & Yuki standing there. Arching there eyebrows, they exchanged looks then, shrugged.

“Bye, Mr. Hiwatari!” Katrina waved to her boss as she exited the restaurant wrapping her coat around her warmly.
“Good-night, Katrina! Thank you for working again tonight! Make sure you come back tomorrow night!” Mr. Hiwatari shouted back at her from his kitchen.
“Kay!” she answered closing the door behind her. Katrina made the strap of her shoulder bag more comfortable around her & sighed deeply. She had just finished working as a waitress at Mr. Hiwatari’s restaurant & since one of the waitresses were absent tonight, Katrina had to work double shifts so, she was exhausted. But, for the past week, she had been like that since, every night Katrina had been working hard. Stretching her arms, Katrina brushed the stray hairs from her face.
“OK. Now, to go home & get a good night’s rest. More or less.” she began to walk down the street of the town. No one was around but, that was only natural since it was pretty late at night. The only light that showed to brighten Katrina’s path was the street lights & a few windows in some the building with their lights still on. There was a slight breeze that made Katrina shiver & clench her jacket closer to her. Suddenly, she sneezed.
“Oh, man…..”, Katrina rubbed her nose. “I better not be getting sick. I can’t afford that.” Shrugging off that thought, she made her way out of town & into the huge wooded area. After a while of walking, Katrina all of a sudden felt something wet hit her face from above.
“Huh?” she touched her cheek & looked up. Rain began to pour down gently.
“Rain? Rain?! No!”, Katrina began to whine. “Damn! Now, I have to walk in the rain!” Hanging her head, Katrina pulled her jacket over herself to cover her head & began to reluctantly walk home in the rain.

Rain droplets poured down heavily like bullets as Katrina continued to make her way to home as quickly as possible, her body already soaked to the skin. Sluggishly, her feet trudged through the puddles & the mud making her feet even more wet & worse yet muddy. For some odd reason, Katrina began to feel slightly dizzy & light headed, even every now & then, she’d cough. She felt so cold. Moaning weakly, Katrina placed a hand to her head as she began to slightly stagger in her steps. Everything began to become blurry making her stagger more until everything went completely black.

A bright light shined brightly on Katrina’s eyelids making her moan softly as she began to wake. She tired to open her eyes but, her lids were too heavy. Katrina tried again & her gentle sapphire orbs opened to show a well-polished wooden ceiling above her.
“Huh?” she said softly with an arched eyebrow. Looking around, Katrina found that she was laying in a strange futon with the blankets warmly & tightly wrapped around her & that she was in a room she didn’t recognized. Abruptly, she sat up causing her head to throb. Groaning, Katrina clenched her head. Damn. Why does my head hurt?, she thought as the pain ceased slowly.
“But, where am I?” Katrina questioned to herself out loud as she reexamined her surroundings. It seemed like a regular Japanese-fashioned room with no furniture except the futon with an oak polished floor but, what caught Katrina’s attention the most was the sliding door that was slid open to show a beautiful back yard & that the sun was shining high in the sky. The sun? It must be afternoon., she concluded then, gasped. Afternoon?! Damn! That means I missed school! Oh, no!
“Damn! How could I have gotten sick on a school day! Stupid, Kat! Stupid!” Katrina banged her head against her palm making in throb more but, ignored the pain when she noticed she was no longer clothed in her school uniform that she was previously clothed in. She was dressed in a yellow sweatshirt & baggy tan jeans. The sweatshirt belonging to a girl & the jeans seemed to be boy’s since they were slightly too big for Katrina.
“AH!”, she gasped blushing deep red. ‘Who changed me?!”
“Oh! You’re awake! Great!” exclaimed a happy male’s voice making Katrina jump. She looked to the room’s door to see a man standing there with a huge grin on his face. He appeared to be at least the age of twenty-seven with black hair that seemed a little messy & deep gray eyes.
“Wh-who are you?” Katrina jumped back only causing her head to hurt & placed her hand to it painfully. “Ow!”
“Oh. You probably shouldn’t move so harshly just yet.”, the man kneeled down & gently laid Katrina back against the bed. He placed his hand to her head. “Yup. You still have a slight fever.”
“Fever?” she placed her hand to her head. It was slightly warm. Damn! Great…., Katrina rolled her eyes.
“Well, my, my, my. Don’t we have such beautiful blue eyes.” the man smiled warmly.
“Um….th-thanks.”, Katrina blushed slightly embarrassed. “But, uh…if I might ask, who are you?”
“Oh! Forgive me!”, he chuckled. “My name is Shigure Sohma.” Sohma? Wait! Another Sohma?!, she thought.
“Are you, by any chance, related to Kyo & Yuki Sohma?” asked Katrina.
“Yes, as a matter of fact. I’m their older cousin.”
“Oh. So, where am I? And, what happened?” she questioned weakly.
“Well, see-” Shigure began but, was interrupted.
“Shigure! We’re home!”, came a familiar girl’s voice. “Where are you?!” That voice. Tohru?
“In th guest room!” Shigure responded. There came three sets of feet coming towards where Shigure & Katrina were. The door slid back to show Yuki, Kyo, & Tohru.
“Guys?” Katrina raised an eyebrow surprised.
“Kat!”, exclaimed Tohru as she knelt beside Katrina with a concerned look. “How are you feeling?”
“Um…better, I guess but, I don’t really know what happened.” Katrina admitted.
“You fainted, Miss. Rivera & you caught a really bad cold with a high fever.” Yuki answered kneeling beside Tohru.
“Oh, yeah.”
“What the hell were your doin’ out so late at night in the forest in the pourin’ rain?” asked Kyo leaning against the door frame with his hands in his pockets.
“I was going home.” explained Katrina simply not wanting to reveal too much.
“You live around here?”, Tohru asked. Katrina nodded slightly. “Where?”
Katrina diverted her eyes., “Um….around.” Tohru & the three Sohma’s exchanged looks.
“That’s strange. I don’t remember any other people living around here. Nearly every inch of this forest is Sohma property.” Shigure pointed out. Oh, great, Now, I’m invading someone’s property, illegally. Perfect., Katrina made a face.
“Anyway, thank you for caring for me &-”, she slowly sat up & tugged at the yellow sweatshirt. “-for giving me some warm clothes. Which by the way, I hope none of you males dressed me.”
Jumping, Kyo & Yuki blushed madly., “ NO!”
“Well, I volunteered but,-” Shigure started getting a whack in the back of the head from Kyo & Yuki.
“You sick bastard!” Kyo yelled.
“I’m sorry for Shigure’s perverted ness, Miss. Rivera.” Yuki shook his head.
“Um…it’s cool.” Katrina shook her hand.
“Either way, I dressed you, Kat. Don’t worry.” Tohru stated with a grin. Well, that’s a relief., Katrina sighed relieved.
“Well, then, I should be going.” she spoke as she shakily stood but, felt-light headed making her sit back down.
“Katrina. I told you not to move so roughly.” Shigure repeated.
“You still have a fever! So just sit there!” Kyo scolded.
Katrina hung her head., “…sorry.”
“You stupid cat. Don’t yell at Miss. Rivera, she didn’t do anything.” Yuki retorted.
“Shut up, ya damn rat!” snapped Kyo. That just sparked another argument between them. Everyone just watched them with nervous looks.
“Please! Stop fighting! It’s really OK!”, Katrina interrupted the two boys. They looked to her. “It’s seriously alright. I’m sorry I made you all worry & that I’ve been such a burden. But, please don’t fight each other cause of that. I was just being stupid. I just have to take better care of myself.” Kyo & Yuki stared at her, she just gave them a reassuring smile.
“Alright then!”, Shigure exclaimed clapping his hands together. Everyone peered to him. “Since Katrina obviously can’t really leave then, how about she stays for dinner?!”
“What?!” the teenagers jumped.
“Oh, no! I couldn’t seriously do that! I’ve already been too much trouble!” Katrina shook her head frantically.
“Nonsense! I actually think that a great idea.”, Tohru beamed. “Right, Yuki.”
He nodded., “Yes. Since it seems the smart thing to do.”
“But, uh…I…” Katrina began to protest.
“It would be wonderful to have another elegant flower at the dinner!” Shigure said earning another hit from Kyo & Yuki.“Stupid dog…” Kyo mumbled.
“Don’t you think Kat should stay too, Kyo?” Tohru asked him.
“Uh….” he began looking her then, peered to Katrina who was waiting for his answer. He stared at her.
“Whatever.” Kyo looked away & began to walk away & closed the door behind him.
“Don’t mind him. Kyo’s always like that.” Shigure said with a smile.
“Anyway, do you want one of us to bring you dinner, Kat?” Tohru questioned standing
“No, that’s OK. I’ll come with you. I’m going to have to stand anyway.” Katrina said trying to get onto her feet again.
“Let me help you, Miss. Rivera.” Yuki volunteered & took Katrina’s hand helping her stand.
She smiled., “Thanks.”
“No problem.” he returned the smile. Gently, Katrina followed the other three out of the room into the dining where Kyo was waiting with a impatient look.
“Alright. So, everyone take a seat & I’ll start on dinner.” Tohru announced. Obeying her, Katrina, Shigure, & Yuki sat with Shigure on one of Katrina’s side & Kyo on the other. Silence fell.
“So, Kat?”, Shigure called. She looked to him I response. “I’ve heard that you’re an exchange student. From America right?”
“Yeah. New York but, I guess it’s not too hard to tell I’m American since blonde hair & blue eyes are pretty rare in Japan.” Katrina nodded.
“Yes. That is true. And, did I mention you have lovely eyes?” he grinned.
“You pervert!” Kyo & Yuki hit him again.
“Ow. Kyo, Yuki. Do you two need to be so violet?” Shigure whined childishly.
“Yes.” they both answered sternly. Silence again.
“Um…..do all of you live here?” Katrina asked no one in general.
“Yes. The four of us live here.” Yuki responded.
“Even Tohru?”
“Yeah. And, she is such a great help. Without her, we‘d still be on an all charcoal diet.” Shigure beamed happily.
Katrina giggled with a smile., “I’m sure she is. She seems like the kind of person who would be a great help.”
“She is.” Yuki smiled.
“Speaking of where people live, I’m sure your parents are worrying about you. May I possibly have a phone number so I can call them to tell them where you’ve been?” Shigure questioned. Falling silent, Katrina hung her head.
“Miss. Rivera?” Yuki called.
“….you can’t call them.” she finally answered softly.
“Oh. They must be at work still right?” Shigure assumed.
“No. You just can’t call them.” Katrina said.
“Why?”
“….they don’t know I’m even here.”
“What?! Don’t you think they’d worried sick about you being in a totally different country without them knowing?!” exclaimed Shigure. Katrina just stayed silent.
“No. They wouldn’t be.”, she stood with her head still down so her bangs hid her face. “Excuse me.” With that, before anyone could say anything, Katrina turned on her heel & left the room. As the door closed, the three Sohma’a exchanged looks.
“Did I say something wrong?” Shigure questioned.
“You always say something wrong.” Kyo pointed out dully.
“Either way, something’s wrong with Miss. Rivera.” Yuki pointed out. The other two nodded & that’s when Tohru came in.
“OK. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes.”, she announced happily but, there noticed Katrina was missing. “Where’s Kat? Did she leave already?”
“I don’t know. We just mentioned her parents & she left the room.” Shigure replied.
“Oh. Maybe someone should check-up on her to make sure she’s alright.” she suggested with a worried tone.
“Yes. That would be smart since she’s still not feeling too well.”, Shigure concurred. “Kyo. Would you please go find Katrina & make sure she’s feeling OK?”
Kyo jumped up with a furious face., “What?! Why do I have to do it?! Why don’t you make the damn rat do it?!”
“Just do it, you stupid cat.” Yuki spat emotionless.
Why?!” Kyo shouted.
“Please, Kyo. I’m really worried about Kat. She’s still has a fever & I don’t want it to get worse.” Tohru pleaded. He peered to her & saw how concerned her face was. Sighing annoyed, Kyo gave in & stood.
“Fine. I’ll do it. Sheesh.” Kyo huffed walking out of the room.
“Thank you!” Tohru thanked as he closed the door.
“Whatever.”

A cool night breeze blew Katrina’s hair back & her body causing her to shiver slightly as she sat of the roof of Shigure‘s house. She just pulled the sweatshirt closer to her along with pulling her knees to her chest hoping to get warmer. It didn’t help but, Katrina just ignored it as she stared up at the sky as it slowly turned to a dark shade of violet from the bright oranges, yellows, & reds. The sun was setting in the horizon, it was simply beautiful but, Katrina’s mind was else where. A small solemn look on her delicate face. Maybe, I shouldn’t have just walked off with no explanation. They probably think I don’t like them or that I’m weird or something., Katrina thought with a deep sigh as she closed her eyes.
“Hey. What are ya doin’ up here?” questioned a dull voice making Katrina jump. She looked to the roof’s ladder to see Kyo climbing up with annoyance readable in his crimson eyes.
“Kyo?” Katrina stammered shocked.
“It ain’t the Easter bunny.”, he scrambled onto the brown shingled roof. “And, you didn’t answer my question.”
She looked away., “…sorry.”
“What are ya apologizin’ for?! Stop sayin’ you’re sorry!” Kyo scolded. Katrina cringed shutting her eyes.
“Sorry.”
“Er! I told you to stop apologizing’!” he repeated starting to get more annoyed. Flinching again, Katrina stayed silent not daring to make eye contact. Sighing, Kyo sat besides Katrina. Silence fell between them. Kyo wanted to say something but, saw Katrina’s expression & thought otherwise not knowing what to say.
“I got to high places when I need to think or I feel upset.” she broke the silence.
Kyo looked to her., “What?”
In the corner of her sapphire eyes, Katrina stared at him sadly., “You asked me why I’m up here & I said I go to high places when I need to think or I feel upset. The highest place was the roof.”
“Oh. Yeah.” he gazed up to the sky as stars began to be visible. He understood what Katrina felt. Kyo would usually go to the roof or any high place when he needed to think or when something was bugging him. Suddenly, he noticed Katrina was shivering slightly as she pulled her knees closer to her body. Shaking his head, Kyo pulled off his jacket, since he was smart enough to bring one knowing it was chilly with it being the middle of fall & all, & gently slipped it onto Katrina’s slender shoulders. A brush of pink came across the girl’s cheeks as she stared at him. He looked away slight embarrassed. Usually, Kyo would never just give some girl he barely knew his jacket but, he just couldn’t let her freeze! I did it ‘cause she’s sick. I did it ‘cause she’s sick., he repeated continuously trying to convince himself that was the only reason he did what he did.
“Thank you.” Katrina said gratefully wrapping the brown jacket closer.
“Um….it’s no big deal.” Kyo replied nervously. Once again, an awkward silence fell between the two teenagers. They couldn’t even really look at each other basically. Kyo wanted to ask why Katrina was upset & why Shigure asking about her parents made her walk away but, couldn’t find the words. Knowing he was staring at her in the corner of his eyes, Katrina sighed. She knew what she wanted.
“Just ask. I know you want to. So, just ask.” she closed her eyes.
He looked to her confused., “Ask what?”
“About my parents. That’s why they sent you up here, wasn’t it?”
“Actually, no. Not really.” It was Katrina’s turn to stare at him.
“I came ’cause they were worried ’bout you bein’ sick & all & they didn’t want you to get worse.” he explained.
“Were you?”
Kyo arched an eyebrow., “Was I what?”
“Worried about me?”
“Um…..uh….”, he blushed slightly at the completely random question. Why am I actin’ like such a moron? “Well, it….would be stupid if ya got worse. But, I was wonderin’ what did happen to your parents.” Sighing, Katrina hung her head resting her chin on her knees.
“Ya don’t have to tell me if ya don’t want. It’s none of my business. I was just curious.” Kyo said quickly.
She shook her head., “No. It’s okay. It’s just hard for me to talk about them. Lets just say I hate my parents, that’s all. I’d rather not talk about it.”
“You hate your parents? But, didn’t they give ya birth?” he asked shocked that this shy girl he barely knew who would say such a strong word. Then, again, I’m not exactly one to talk on the subject of parents., he thought.
“I’m aware of that. But, trust me, if you knew my reason-”, Katrina stood trying not to angry with the thoughts of her mother & father. “-then, you’d be on my side.” Turning on heel, she began to walk away to the ladder. But, what’s her reason?!, Kyo jumped up as Katrina began to descend down the wooden ladder.
“Hey! Wait a sec!” he called after following but, she ignored him.

Raking her fingers through her golden hair, Katrina was back in the house & was stepping down the stairs from the upstairs. She was thinking was now a good time to leave. I can’t tell Kyo my reason for hating my parents. I don’t even know these people. They’re nice to me & all but, it’s not their business. I can’t tell anyone., Katrina thought. Then, she heard Kyo’s voice calling her name.
“Kat! Wait!” he called behind her. Turning briskly, she saw him at the top of the stairs but, only for a brief second when she felt the back of her foot accidentally slip on the polished step causing Katrina to trip backwards.
“Kat!” Kyo exclaimed rushing to her as she slammed her eyes shut waiting for her to land with a painful ‘THUD’ on the floor. But, she felt nothing just a pair of strong arm around her. Slowly, Katrina opened her sapphire orbs only her to blush madly seeing what was beneath her. Kyo! Kyo must have had caught her before she fell to the floor with his arms around her. That wasn’t the only thing that made Katrina turn bright red. It was the fact that he was on his back with her on top of him, their faces nearly inches apart.
“Err. Damn, that hurt.” Kyo groaned his eyes closed but, soon his crimson eyes opened to meet Katrina’s blue one’s. He jumped seeing their position.
“AAAAHH!” his went completely red in the face.
“Kyo? Kat? Is that you? No one broke the once did they?”, came Shigure’s voice. “Oh, my, my. Well, look at this.” Jumping, Kyo & Katrina looked to the dining room door to see Shigure standing there with an amused smirk on staring at the couple on the floor.
“Shigure!” they exclaimed.
“Shigure? What happened?” asked Yuki’s voice as he & Tohru entered the room. They took aback at Kyo & Katrina on the floor. Tohru blushed while Yuki looked disgusted shooting glares at Kyo. He muttered something like “disgusting cat”.
“Yuki! Tohru!” Kyo & Katrina cried in unison. Gazing to each other, Katrina instantly sprung off Kyo as they separated from each other blushing madly looking away nervously.
“You two looked comfortable.” smirked Shigure. Hanging her head embarrassed, Katrina blushed more, if that was even possible while Kyo looked pissed blushing also.
“Shut up! It wasn’t like that! She tripped & I caught her causin’ her to fall on me! That’s it, you sick bastard!” he snapped clenching his fist.
“Suuuure.” Shigure said just making Kyo even angrier.
“Wait a minute.” spoke Tohru. Everyone looked to her.
“Kat fell on you, right Kyo?” she asked. He just nodded not seeing her point.
“Well, wouldn’t that mean-” began Tohru. The guys jumped instantly as they knew what she was talking about.
“I didn’t change! I‘m not a cat!” Kyo stared at himself in shock. Everyone looked to Katrina who was looking at Kyo confused with wide eyes.
“Wait a minute! WHAT?!” she exclaimed.