Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ East Side, West Side ❯ The Okurimonos ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Here’s chapter two. Read and enjoy. It’s kinda like the other family’s side of the story.

------------------------------------

“What&# 8217;s taking Kippei forever?” Torrence whined. She tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder, looking to Kokoro. “He’s your brother, where is he?”

“The idiot forgot his suitcase.” Kokoro sighed, looking around the crowded airport for her younger brother.

“Okay, we came, we saw, now can we leave Japan?” Another girl in the group whined.

“The only thing of Japan we’ve seen, Ariel, is the inside of this airport.” An older boy responded.

“Shut up, Leo.” Ariel growled, trying to shove her older brother to the side.

“Look, there he comes.” Kokoro said, spotting Kippei walking towards them.

“Excuse me...” A girl lightly pushed past Kokoro. She was in a rush.

“Oh, sorry.” Kokoro apologized quietly.

The girl gave Kokoro a little smile and continued on her way. She had long brown hair that was tied up in a ponytail. Sunglasses were resting on her head, tucked behind her ears, exposing cheerful crimson eyes. She was wearing a plain red shirt with a net top underneath.

What a cute pendant. Kokoro thought as she noticed the girl’s horse charm that was held by a silver chain around her neck . Nice jeans too. I think I have a pair like that. She looked at the girl’s blue jeans and converse-looking shoes. Those shoes too. She watched as the girl rushed past the rest of the crowd in the airport.

“Almost lost it.” Kippei sighed, dragging his suitcase along the floor and rushing as fast as he could past the people in the airport to get back to his family. “I guess that’s the only thing Kokoro’s good for: noticing when things are missing.” Looking to his suitcase, he took his eyes away from where he was going, unaware of the girl heading toward him.

Kokoro, watching her brother from a distance, instantly saw the girl from before heading his way. If one of them didn’t look up, they’d walk right into each other. And that wouldn’t be good for Kippei. “Kippei!” Kokoro called out.

“Huh?” Kippei looked up, a little late. He softly bumped against the girl that was walking in the opposite direction. His eyes widened with fear as if he was expecting something to happen. Oh no, not here. He thought. After nothing happened he looked up at the girl he bumped into.

She was looking back at him with the same wide-eyed expression. She looked as if she was thinking the same thing. After staring at him for a few more moments, the girl shook her head quickly and apologized. “I’m sorry.” She said. “I-I wasn’t paying attention.”

“No, no, it was my fault.” Kippei apologized. “I’m sorry.”

She let out a nervous laugh and just rushed past him as well.

That was...awkward. Kippei thought, watching her leave. He shook the thought from his head and continued toward his family.

“What just happened?” Kokoro questioned as soon as Kippei reached them.
“I don’t know. It was nothing.” Kippei shrugged.

“Nothing? That! Nothing? I don’t think so, mister!” Kokoro slightly raised her voice. “Don’t you remember what could’ve happened?”

“The important thing is that it didn’t.” An older woman walked over to the two. Her green hair made her stand out from the rest of the family. “Come on, let’s get going. Ariel’s getting fussy.”

“Ariel’s always fussy, Aunt Sachiko.” Kokoro said.

“I know, but she’s getting even more fussy. Let’s go.” Sachiko looked back at the others. “Come on, let’s get a move on.”

The other members of the family followed Sachiko as the walked out of the airport.

“So explain to me why we came here again.” Ariel whined as they drove to the house they’d be staying in.

“Well, Ariel,” Mizuko, Sachiko’s sister, began. “We just recently inherited a summer home that belonged to our grandparents and we thought it would be nice to come see it.”

“But it’s nowhere near summer!” Ariel almost yelled. “Couldn’t we wait until then?”

“Ariel, you’re such a stick in the mud.” Torrence rolled her eyes.

“Torrence, you’re just jealous because I actually had friends to hang out with back at school and you didn’t.” Ariel glared.

“That’s not true. Tor had lots of friends.” Kokoro chimed in. “They just weren’t as ‘popular’ as yours.”

“Yeah, the freak squad.” Ariel scoffed.

“No, that was my group.” Kokoro said cooly.

“You’re right. Tor’s was the wannabe’s.” Ariel shrugged.

“Ariel Okurimono, that’s enough.” Mizuko said from the front passenger’s seat.

“Well it’s true.” Ariel said.

“That’s enough!” Mizuko barked.

“Kokoro-oneechan, are we almost there?” Kokoro’s distant cousin, Hinako, asked.

“Almost, Hinako. Almost.” Kokoro assured. Leaning back against her seat, she closed her eyes and recalled the conversation that happened when Sachiko announced that they were taking a trip.

“We’re going where?” Ariel was the first to respond, in shock.

“Japan.” Sachiko smiled. “We’ll get a chance to explore our roots.”

“Our ‘roots’ are planted here.” Ariel argued. “In America.”

“From your mother’s side at least.” Sachiko shrugged. “But your father spent a lot of his childhood in Japan, as did our older brothers. Mizuko, Ryu, and I were also born there.” She explained. “Even Kokoro and Kippei’s mother came from Japan before she took moved here.”

Kokoro smiled. She knew her mother, Akiko Okurimono, had come from Japan when she was little. She never tired of hearing how she met her father, Ichiro Okurimono, and how they fell in love.

“Wait a minute, Sachiko.” Mizuko looked to her older sister. “When did you decide this?”

“About a week ago.” Sachiko stated. “Come on, Sis! You don’t even remember Japan! You were just a baby when we moved here and we’ve never returned since!”

“It’s not that, Sachiko, but you can’t just announce that we’re leaving out of the country without consulting us first. Some of us have work to do. The children have school.” Mizuko sat up straight in her chair.

“I don’t mind missing school for a while.” Kokoro pitched in.

“Kokoro, you don’t like school so you don’t count.” Leo said.

Kokoro stuck her tongue out at him.

“Sachiko, I have a bunch of work to do at the office.” Mizuko said. She worked as a lawyer at a law firm, one of the best lawyers in town. “I can’t just take a vacation without notice.”

“Mizuko...” Sachiko started.

“No. No, no, no! We can’t go, Sachiko! I’m sorry, but we can’t!” Mizuko almost slammed her hand on her desk.

Sachiko looked down at the floor.

“How about we take a vote?” Ryu suggested.

“Ryu, you have work too.” Mizuko told her cousin. “All of us do.”

“We can afford to miss a few days, dear cousin.” Ryu said calmly. “All of us can. They won’t fire you, you’re too good of a lawyer to lose. The kids deserve a break from school, we can alert their principal about the trip. Most of them go to the same school anyway. All of them are in high school except Hinako and Takeru.”

“Yeah. Come on, Aunt Mizuko. It’ll be fun.” Kippei pleaded.

Mizuko sighed. “Fine, all for taking a trip to Japan...”

Sachiko, Ryu, Torrence, Kokoro, Kippei, and Hinako raised their hands.

“All opposed.”

Mizuko, Leo, Jon, Ariel, Kohaku, and Takeru raised their hands.

“It’s a tie.” Mizuko announced. “Six to six.”

“But Kiriko says she wants to go too! So that seven to six!” Hinako cried out.

“Kiriko’s not real.” Ariel sneered.

“On the contrary, Kiriko’s quite real.” Sachiko disagreed.

“She’s not even here.” Ariel argued.

“Yes she is. She’s always here.” Sachiko said. “Sorry, we’re taking the trip.”

Mizuko sighed once more. “Fine. We’re taking the trip.”

“Well, we’re here.” Sachiko announced as she parked the car in the driveway of their new summer house.

“Wow, it’s so pretty!” Hinako smiled as she looked out the window.

“There’s six bedrooms, so there’ll be two to each room.” Mizuko informed.

The kids climbed out of the car and raced over to the front door.

“Hey, hey, the door’s still locked, remember?” Sachiko laughed as she got out of the car and got the key to the house out of her pocket. She walked over to the door and unlocked it. Turning the knob she slowly opened the door. “Ladies and gentlemen...the candy vault.” She joked.

“Candy?” Hinako blinked. “Really?”

“No, Hinako. She’s just kidding.” Leo laughed lightly, ruffling Hinako’s dirty blonde hair.

“Shotgun picking my room first!” Kokoro shouted as she raced inside.

“Shotgun getting the biggest room!” Ariel called out as she raced after Kokoro.

“The biggest room goes to Sachiko and Mizuko, Ariel.” Ryu called after her.

“Come on, Takeru.” Hinako giggled, pulling her younger cousin inside the house.

“Don’t get lost!” Sachiko kidded.

The others walked into the house.

“Kippei,” Sachiko called before Kippei disappeared into the rooms to decide which one he would choose. “Can I have a word with you?”

“Aw, Aunt Sachiko, if I don’t hurry, I’m gonna get stuck with the worst room.” Kippei said.

“No you won’t. The best rooms are at the back, no one really looks back there before they decide.” Sachiko shook her head.

“Alright.” Kippei sighed. “What is it?”

“What happened at the airport with that girl?” Sachiko asked.

“I...don’t know. I honestly don’t know, Aunt Sachiko. Can I go now?” Kippei begged.

Sachiko smiled and laughed lightly. “Alright, go ahead. We’ll talk later.”

“Thank you.” Kippei disappeared into the house among the rest of the others.

------------------------------------

So whaddya think so far? Suggestions accepted. Penny for your thoughts? =P How about a quarter?