Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Extra ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The next thing Lila saw was her family.
Her mom, her dad.
Her dog.
Wait…she didn't have a dog.
The dog bit her mom. Her dad.
Their heads started to grow…
And grow…
And grow until she was shouting at herself, Wake Up, you baka onna WAKE UP!!!
It had happened before; a recurring nightmare.
Then again, in a way both sleeping and waking ended in nightmares…
She kept her eyes closed, trying to guess at where she was.
She could hear raucous, chattering voices that mimicked fighting bluejays…oh wait, that was Japanese.
She'd be dad-burnt if she had to live here without being able to understand other people but soon she could pick out a few words, then more and more and soon she could fully understand the conversation…
“Don't you pin it on me kuso nezumi!” The voice was a hot, stabbing snarl that sent chills up and down her spine. “It's not like I wished for it!!”
“If you wake her up, Kyo, it will be your fault. Now if somebody wouldn't mind cracking a window…” At least that voice spoke calmly… she preferred to remain shrapnel-free if at all possible. “It's hot in here.”
“I'll get it..” Trailing, unreluctant. The fangirls she hung with would be dying right now… or drooling. Or both. “Now maybe we could get started? I never said it was your fault she was here, anyway…”
Started? She opened her eyes, unable to hope she'd had two dreams one after the other.
Shoe…right in the same spot. Luckily nobody was paying attention to her, so she could watch unafraid…sort of.
“Fine.” Kyo snatched the bracelet from the nightstand and thrust it at Yuki. “Hold.”
She watched him disappear, listened to several crashes and a few choice cuss words, considering the fact that she couldn't cover her ears too well. When he reappeared he had something small in hand. It caught the light and gleamed silver...she shuddered a bit. A needle. She'd been completely phobic of needles as long as she could remember…and seeing Kyo prick his finger, drag each small, wooden bead across the wound and then pass it back to Yuki so he could do the same was enough to make her pull up all her strength, crawl under the covers and hope she never had to come out.
“Okay…I'm ready if you are.” They left, leaving everybody else in silence. Lila could very clearly hear their footsteps, and was quite happy to sink into the mattress and try to disappear…which might have worked if the covers hadn't been yanked off to reveal her to the world…okay, so the world currently consisted of Tohru and Shigure…still, more than she wanted to deal with until she could at the very least figure out how to work her legs.
“Maybe we shouldn't, Shii-san,” Tohru, as Lila might have guessed had she not been trying to disappear, was quite disturbed. Shigure glanced at her, regardingly, for a moment before returning his focus to the sock-legged creature before him.
“No…if Kyo weren't outside right now he'd probably want us to anyway. Besides, Tohru…do you really intend to leave the poor creature in socks?”
“I suppose not, but…maybe we should call Shishou and ask him first.”
“Tomorrow, but right now do you think you can get those things off without hurting her worse?”
She managed to not yelp until Shigure tried to bandage her legs; she wouldn't dare yelp if Tohru inadvertently hurt her, because of course she didn't want to hurt her feelings. But somebody who wrote hentai novels? Fair game.
~0~
Once he'd finished, she slithered to the window to watch the supposed “ceremony”.
They fought for a long time, as they had been since leaving.
Finally, Kyo looked up and caught Yuki's eye.
“Well I'm exhausted. Ready?”
“Enervated. Of course.”
She watched, her head on the windowsill, as they both grasped the bracelet (which was hanging from an empty flagpole) with their right hands, fingers entwined. Yuki very carefully laid his other hand on Kyo's shoulder and Kyo leaned slightly forward and copied the gesture.
She watched for a moment as everything, even the pouring rain, seemed to stop for these two worst enemies that stood, leaning, supporting each other…fast asleep.