Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Good News, Bad News ❯ Good News, Bad News ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS
A Fruits Basket Short Ficlet

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTES: A short my muses needed to clear their minds and work on a lemon. No lemon here though. Sorry. This all takes place much later than the manga, so beware any spoilers. A Standard Disclaimer appears at the end of the piece.




"Mrs. Sohma, I have some good news."

I really don't know what to say.

The answer's on the tip of my tongue. Really, it is! But for some reason, it won't come out.

In the back of my mind, the past few weeks replay themselves. It seems like a dream really. Isn't that how it is when you're newlyweds? Only six months in and we act like children most of the time. Hubby even cooked me dinner for our half a year anniversary. So sweet.

Tohru has come by nearly every day. Well she is family. In name as well as by association. We've been buds since middle school. And she married Kyo Sohma, making us cousins. I'm still in awe of their relationship. Kyo always struck me as a...well, jerk. But she's mellowed him a bit. Really, he's not that bad.

She always brought food with her too, so I really can't complain. Especially since I suck at cooking. And she'd good company since my husband works six days a week.

"Arisa-chan, are you all right?"

But one afternoon, her home cooked lunch didn't seem to agree with me. I assured her I was okay, that her cooking was wonderful, and told her I wasn't very hungry. She was skeptical for a second, then smiled and said she'd bring something lighter tomorrow.

That meal gave me no problems whatsoever.

But dinner, even from a fancy restaurant, did.

I really thought nothing of it, despite my husband's wish for me to see a doctor. I was fine. Had to be something in the food, I told him. I just needed to watch what I ate.

"If that's all you think it is," he said. "But promise me you'll make an appointment if it gets worse."

"Yes, dear."

Hana-chan stopped by not a day before I got sick. She kept asking me if I felt all right. "Of course, I feel fine." I should've known she'd have it all figured out before I knew anything was wrong. Reading people was always her forte.

Then, I got sick.

REALLY sick.

Vomiting in the toilet and sprawled on the bathroom floor sick.

But it would only last for a short time. Then I felt fine.

Day after day I tried to come up with a logical explanation. A cold. The flu. Nothing. Nada. So I called the doctor after two weeks of dizziness and nausea. Normally I'd just deal with the pain, but my husband -- loving man he is -- insisted. I may be stubborn, but he's more stubborn than me. Go figure.

And I did promise.

Tohru grabs my hand and smiles reassuringly. Did you think I'd have anyone else with me for this visit? "Everything will be all right."

So it is good. Okay, I can handle this.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Sohma. You're going to be a mother."

No shit.

"That's wonderful, Arisa-chan!"

I'm going to be a mother.

"I'll need to see you back in a few weeks for a check-up."

"Uh...okay."

Once the fear and surprise starts to melt away I can only cringe over my response. Damn. Is that the best I can do?! I'm going to be a mother.

I am going to be A MOTHER.

Something inside me is cheering like maniac. While another part of me is panicking like a scaredy-cat. And that panic turns to outright fear as I think of one more thing.

"Kureno-san will be so happy!"

How do you tell a man he's going to be a father when he's clearly stated he doesn't want to be?


~OWARI~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the US and Canada). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^