Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ I am Happy ❯ Ramen ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket or anything that sounds familiar.
Yes, this is just Tohru pondering about the misgiving of her life. Enjoy!
 
 
 
Despite what everybody thought, I am more damaged than I seem. Being bullied throughout my whole life, because of who I choose to be. Never knowing my father. Losing my mom before I should have. It all brought pain to my heart. Then, I think about the Sohma's, and I mentally slap myself for being so selfish.
More about that, I am very self conscious. After being bullied about how plain and boring I was, I eventually began believing that, completely disregarding my mother's adamant disagreement's with my degrading thoughts. Mentally snorting, I wonder if my father would have done the same. Or would he agree with my classmates.
I don't remember much of my own father. All I remember was his cold demeanor towards my childish face. Did he ever want children? My mother did tell me that I was completely unexpected and accidental. Not in a bad way, they just weren't expecting me to come so soon after their marriage. Apparently my father hadn't liked me very much. I remember the amount of fights they got into when they thought I was asleep.
 
Flashback
 
“Are you insane! We can't keep her! She was an accident! We don't have enough money to care for an extra mouth!” A women with light brown hair scowled, before responding in a dangerous voice.
“How dare you! You will not speak about my daughter that way!” The man growled and his face turned red.
“Can't you see? The child is weak! She will never be able to do anything by herself!” He didn't notice the women clench her fists. “We must get rid of her! Think of all the disrespect the worthless girl will bring to us!” Apparently, that was the last straw.
“I have never! You will shut your mouth!” The women raised her fist and slapped the man. “You will never talk about My Daughter that way again! Right now, I'm wondering if it was a mistake to keep you in her life. Now, Go! Get out of my sight.” The man stumbled away. Neither of them noticed the wide eyes staring painfully at the ground. And they certainly didn't hear the pearly tears drip from the agonized eyes.
“Mama… Papa…” And the girl wept.
 
End Flashback
 
Of course I never told my parents that I heard any of their fights. Both of them assumed that I thought everything was happy and dandy in my life. Don't get me wrong, the way I act is not a mask. But every once in a while it gets tiring being so happy, and caring all the time. The years passed the same way: Me being woken up in the middle of the night by shrieks and slapping noises. But after I had witnessed the previous fight I stayed away from doors and content myself with just weeping.
Now, I was devastated when my father died. I did love him, flaws and everything. But, I have to wonder. If I had been the one to die, would my father have done the same for me? No. None of this heavy thinking. I have to make dinner in an hour; I can't be distracted by petty thoughts. Rising off the bed I shook my head to get rid of the cobwebs silently debating what I should cook for dinner.
 
Hmm… Something simple? I'm in the mood for ramen tonight and it is fairly simple. Liking the idea I nodded and stomped my foot. My childish antics nearly releasing a laugh from me. Stretching, I raised my arms above and sighing gratefully when I heard and felt the pops of my back going back into place after lying down for so long.
I need to stop thinking about this stuff. It all happened long ago; I have a new family now. Opening the door and walking downstairs I saw the smiling faces of my friends. Yes, I have a new life. I love it. Putting a smile on my face I ran downstairs and into the arms of my new family. I don't cry myself to sleep. I have a purpose in life. I have to help the Sohma's. Suddenly it clicked in my head. I am lucky, I have wonderful friends. I have everything I could ask for.
I am happy.