Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Lips Of An Angel ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: One night while listening to this song, the idea for this fic suddenly came to mind. I had to work out the details (obviously), but I just had to write it down. I think this song is the sweetest song I've ever heard.
Yes, I do have an odd liking for pairings involving Hatori. He's such a tragic character that he's so easy to use. And there's so much more to him than meets the eye.
 
I do not own Fruits Basket, Natsuki Takaya does. I do not own the lyrics to “Lips Of An Angel”, Hinder does.
 
Lips Of An Angel
~Honey why you calling me so late?
It's kinda hard to talk right now.
Honey why are you crying? Is everything okay?
I gotta whisper 'cause I can't be too loud

Well, my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on

It's really good to hear your voice say my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

It's funny that you're calling me tonight
And, yes, I've dreamt of you too
And does he know you're talking to me
Will it start a fight
No I don't think she has a clue

Well my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on

It's really good to hear your voice say my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

It's really good to hear your voice say my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

Honey why you calling me so late?~
(Hatori's POV)
 
I didn't think it was possible, but you pulled it off, Ayame. You always seem to do so. I never believed this could happen; yet here I am, sitting across from her. Has it really been so many years that I've looked at a girl and felt something close to what I felt with Kana?
This is so strange for me… I've known her for so long yet I never knew how she felt. She reminds me of Kana quite a bit, but somehow that is comforting. Her shorter hair makes her and Kana even more alike… But the feeling isn't the same. It's different, but in a good way.
“Hatori, are you finished? Should we ask for the check?” Mayu asked me.
“Sure, Mayu.” I answered.
After paying for lunch, Mayu and I started walking towards the Sohma estate. Her birthday was nearing and I noticed something I thought she'd like in a store on the way. I told Mayu to wait outside while I bought the gift. I stood in front of the display case, waiting to be served.
“That would be nice,” a strangely familiar voice said.
I looked to my right to see Kana smiling at the sales clerk. The clerk walked into the back to wrap whatever she had purchased. At that moment, Kana looked at me and smiled.
“Hatori, it's been so long since I've last seen you. How have you been?” she asked me politely.
I was about to look away when a strange look crossed Kana's eyes. She froze, as if in a trance, but quickly shook her head.
“That was the strangest thing. I-” she started.
“Good day, Kana” I said quickly and left, fearing the worst.
“What did you buy?” Mayu asked as I exited the shop.
“It wasn't in stock,” I lied.
“Well, at least now I have a clue to my present,” Mayu teased.
“You don't know that I'll return there, so this clue may be false,” I said, temporarily relieved of the stress.
Thank you, Ayame, for finally pushing us together. I don't think I'd ever be happy again if it weren't for you.
~*~
(3rd person POV)
 
“Thank you for the present, `Tori-san,” Kana shouted as she approached the doctor.
“It's your birthday on Sunday and I won't see you, so I thought I'd leave it for you to find today,” he answered.
“It's so beautiful! You really didn't have to get me anything,” Kana mused.
“But I did,” Hatori said with a smile.
Hatori commenced walking towards his destination once again. Just as he opened the door, Kana ran to block his exiting.
“We don't have to only see each other at work, you know,” she said quietly, her cheeks adorning a blush.
 
(Hatori's POV)
 
I opened my eyes to darkness. I haven't dreamt of Kana in so long, but it only seems fitting to do so after running into her. I turned my head to read the clock and found it to be 12:30 in the morning. As if on cue, my cell phone started blinking and vibrating on the table beside me. I sat up and picked it up cautiously, wondering who would be calling me at this time.
“Hello?” I said, still half asleep.
“Hatori? It's really you?” Kana said through her tears.
Her voice called to me like the voice of an angel. So sweet, so beautiful… I lost myself in the sound for a brief moment before realizing that the sound of sobbing could also be heard.
“Of course it's me; what's wrong?” I asked, suddenly fully awake.
“I can't believe it's you…” she said quietly.
“Kana, why are you crying?” I asked, confused.
“I remember… I remember you and me…” she said before going into a coughing fit.
The worst had come true; Kana's suppressed memories of me had resurfaced. I rested my head on my hand, contemplating the situation.
“Are you ok?” was all I could say.
“It feels like I've woken up from a dream world. What happened? Am I really married to someone other than you? Did I ever feel something for someone not my `Tori? Please tell me that this isn't true… Please tell me…” she pleaded.
“I had to suppress your memories of us. You became so ill after Akito reacted to us, that I had to make you better. I had to make you happy,” I answered, unknowing to why I was saying anything.
“I could never be happy without you,” Kana said.
“But you were. You smiled like you did with me and you became healthy again. You probably would have never smiled again had I not suppressed your memories,” I argued.
“Hatori, have you found someone else?” she asked.
“I waited, watching your happiness as happiness enough for me until a few months ago. Mayuko and I are together now. Mayu probably didn't tell you for your own good,” I reasoned.
There was a long silence. The two of us both were thinking about our feelings and whether or not they were true. My head was clouded by the mass of thoughts crowding up. My heart ached badly.
“Is it really over?” Kana asked.
The words struck me like a rock. Was it? I gathered my thoughts to rationalize before I lost all sense of reality. I finally came up with something to answer with.
“We may both feel the same, but too much time has passed between the end of our relationship and now to ever start up again. And also, you're married. You love this man. Trust me, I've overheard you say it. We need to continue the lives we live now, not the lives we used to live back then,” I said.
I could hear Kana start crying again before my phone beeped, signaling an ended call. I looked at the phone with disdain. My head hit the pillows as I let myself fall. Fall into memories. Fall into sleep. Fall into dreams. Fall into you, Kana.
~END~
 
I always thought it would be so cute if Kana and Hatori could get back together… But it wouldn't be my kind of story if they did. I mean, I'm not an angst authoress for nothing. I hope you will be kind and review (please)!