Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Lost My Sister in San Francisco ❯ Blizzard ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ah, summertime. My birthday’s around the corner and it’s so ferkin’ hot! Though it’ll prolly rain on my birthday like every year. I am the Rain Child. Joy. I’ll be fourteen this year! n.n; On the first of July. Much fun. Much fun. Anyway since it’s too hot and I hate to go outside when it’s too sunny and too hot (which is the cause of me being the whitest complected Hispanic girl I’ve ever known), I spend my days on my laptop, typing up these chapters. Much fun, right? I seriously need a hobby.

----

“I still think you’re crazy.” Kyou growled as he walked alongside Kasumi while she rode on Tsuyu’s back. “What person in their right mind goes horseback riding while it’s snowing?”

“It’s hardly snowing.” Kasumi smiled. “Besides, it’s pretty. Right, Tsuyu?”

Tsuyu neighed in agreement.

Kasumi laughed lightly and petted Tsuyu’s mane. “Good girl.”

“I don’t know how I let you talk me into this.” Kyou sighed. He looked back to the house which seemed small from where they were at. They had walked a pretty far distance in the half hour that they had been walking. How much exercise did the horse need?

“Because I’m your little sister and you love me.” Kasumi smiled innocently. She pulled on Tsuyu’s reins to stop. “Wait a minute.”

Kyou stopped walking, standing by Kasumi as she looked around the empty field. What was going on?

“You sense it too, Tsuyu?” Kasumi asked her horse. “We should get back to the house.”

“What’s wrong?” Kyou asked, looking at Kasumi.

“The snow’s starting to fall heavier.” Kasumi said. “A blizzard’s coming in.”

Kyou blinked, looking at the falling snowflakes. He hadn’t noticed that they began to fall heavier. There was more coming too. The air had become colder as wind started to blow lightly. Earlier there was no wind at all, everything was just still and quiet.

“Come on.” Kasumi turned Tsuyu around to go back to the house. They began to walk back as a sudden heavy gust of wind blew at them, nearly knocking Kasumi off.

“Kasumi!” Kyou grabbed her, keeping her from falling. “Maybe you should walk. It’s safer on the ground.”

Kasumi sighed. “Alright, fine. Let’s go, Tsuyu.” She pulled on Tsuyu’s reins again, leading her towards the house. She covered her mouth with one hand and coughed lightly.

“You okay?” Kyou asked, looking to her.

“Yeah.” Kasumi smiled at him. “I’m good. My throat’s just starting to hurt a little bit, that’s all.”

Kyou blinked again. That’s when he barely noticed that Kasumi was wearing just a light jacket and the weather was freezing. She was getting sick. Kyou sighed and took off his jacket, offering it to Kasumi. “Take it.”

“I don’t want it.” Kasumi coughed.

“You’re getting sick. Take it.” Kyou repeated.

“I. Don’t. Want it.” Kasumi insisted. “I’ll be fine. It’s just a sore throat.”

“You sure?” Kyou asked.

“Yeah.” She nodded.

How long has she been getting sick? Kyou thought to himself as he watched his little sister walk, coughing every few seconds. They had been out for half an hour, the air had been too cold, and she wasn’t even wearing the right jacket. He had to admit, he was worried.

“Kyou,” Kasumi called between coughs.

“What is it?”

“Maybe if we run, we can get to the house faster.”

“Are you kidding me?! You’re already sick as it is! You can’t run in this weather!”

“On your mark.”

“Kasumi...”

“Get set.”

“We’re not running.”

“Fine.” Kasumi sighed. “If I get hypothermia, it’s your fault.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“Running keeps your body warm, if your body temperature drops too much then you can get hypothermia. Duh.”

“Fine, we’ll run.”

“Race ya.” Kasumi took off with Tsuyu behind her.

“You’re on.” Kyou smirked lightly, slightly enjoying Kasumi’s challenge. He took off after her.

They arrived back at the house just in time. But something was wrong with Kasumi. She was always a fast runner, but this time she was falling behind. She could usually keep up with Kyou, but now she was almost six feet behind him.

“I’m gonna go put Tsuyu in the barn.” Kasumi said. “You go on inside.”

“Well hurry up.” Kyou went inside.

Kasumi pulled Tsuyu into the barn, taking her to her stable. “I’ll come back later, okay?” She petted Tsuyu lightly and rushed out.


“Where the hell–?!” Kokoro started to yell as she paced back and forth around the room, waiting for Kyou and Kasumi to get back.

“Back.” Kyou announced as he walked inside.

“Where’s Kasumi?” Shigure asked.

“She’s putting her horse back in its stable.” Kyou informed. He looked back at the door when it opened and Kasumi walked in.

She was staggering a bit, going through some more coughs. She used her hand to keep her supported against the doorframe before she regained her composure. She smiled, looking at everyone with a look that said ‘I’m fine, don’t worry’.

“Are you alright, Kasumi?” Sachiko blinked, looking at her.

“Yeah.” Kasumi nodded.

Kokoro smiled silently, looking at Kyou and Kasumi. She was glad they were alright. Or at least they looked it.

Kasumi’s eyelids suddenly felt heavy. She felt weak, but not tired. The last time she felt that way, she was six-years-old and she didn’t know what was wrong with her. But she remembered one more thing about that time...

“Kasumi!” Kyou caught her as she fell forward. It was lucky that he did too, because she was about to hit the floor. He instantly felt her forehead which was getting hot. “Dammit, she has a fever!”

“Well don’t just stand there like an idiot. Go put her somewhere to lay down.” Yuki sighed.

“You shut up!” Kyou yelled. He picked Kasumi up into his arms.

“The living room.” Dawn informed as she stood in the doorway of the room. “You can take her to the living room and put her on the couch next to the fireplace. I’ll get her a blanket.”

Kyou quickly left to the living room. He put Kasumi down on the couch near the fireplace. “I told you to take my jacket, you stupid girl.”

Kasumi obviously heard him because she turned her head as if she were trying to shake it and say no. She was beginning to sweat.

“Here.” Dawn entered the room and handed Kyou the blanket. “It should help her sweat the fever out.”

Kyou took the blanket and covered Kasumi with it.

Kasumi furrowed her brows and tried to kick the blanket off. She hated it to be too hot. She couldn’t stand it. She kicked the blanket off with her feet and curled into a ball on the couch.

“Oh no you don’t.” Kyou slightly growled, covering her again. “It’s your own damn fault you got sick.”

She seemed to give up the second time. She felt too weak to fight back. Besides, she knew Kyou would just keep covering her.
“Is she alright?” Kippei asked as he stood near the entrance to the living room. He had heard Kyou yell something about someone having a fever. He knew it was most likely Kasumi so he rushed out of the room he was in to go see.

“She has a fever.” Kyou said. “You might wanna stay back if you don’t wanna get sick too. We don’t know if it’s contagious or something.”

“Well you’re the one sitting right next to her.” Kippei challenged.

“I’m the one that carried her over here after she fainted.” Kyou shot back.

“Right. You’re just in on Kokoro’s stupid little plan.” Kippei growled, walking out of the living room.

Kyou sighed as he turned back to Kasumi. I’m really sorry I have to do this to you, Kasumi. He apologized silently. Keeping his little sister, hell his only sister, away from the boy she liked very much (he didn’t know if he should refer to it as love yet) was going to be very hard for him to do. And it had very dire consequences.

----

Aw, poor Kassie has a fever! Yeah, I had that planned from the start. Though I had it planned differently. At first, I was gonna trap Kyou and Kasumi out in the blizzard, but they’d prolly get hypothermia and die. x_x; And we can’t have that happening, now can we? No, we can’t. Well, keep reading and I’ll keep writing. n.n; I love writing.