Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Love Sick ❯ Wanting You ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They'd been left alone. Again. Just him, and that damn rat. Tohru was off on a vacation with her friends in celebration of some strange thing...and Shigure was goofing off somewhere with Ayame. Only Kami-sama knew when they'd be back. It was raining in turrets, which put him into an even fouler mood than usual and the rat was off playing in his garden. Stupid guy's gonna get pneumonia...Hatori's never gonna let me off for that one, not to mention Akito'll probably get me pretty good too for killing his precious Rat. Oh well, he should die...it's all his fault anyway. Everything. Deciding his brooding was making him hungry, he went to the kitchen to fix something to eat, hell, the rat couldn't cook to save himself...it was only natural that Kyo would do it.
 
 
He'd finished preparing, and eating his dinner about an hour later, after setting out a plate for the rat. If I don't feed Akito's precious pet, he'll be after me. was the logic behind that. Otherwise, he wouldn't have set it out. But, he was beginning to worry about the rat; how weird was that? But, in all logical reasoning Yuki should have come back by now, knowing Yuki's natural tendency to prefer to be warm and dry this thought entered Kyo's head. I'd best go look for him. he thought to himself, and therefore, got his coat and went out to the place where he'd gotten those beastly leeks for Tohru that one time. He went at a full sprint through the mud and trees, tearing his jeans on a bush and nearly loosing his footing in the mud. He slid to a stop at the small patch of plants, and nearly died of a heart attack at what he saw there: Yuki, passed out, face down in the dirt. "Yuki!!!" He yelled, running over to the gray haired youth. He turned him on his side slowly, noting that his skin was even paler than usual, almost gray, with a mixture of sweat and rainwater coating his brow and cheeks. His hair was stuck to his face in a matted, mud-covered, mess. Kyo took off his coat, putting it over Yuki, and picked him up carefully, bridal-style and carried him back to the house.
 
 
Upon putting him to bed, Kyo decided to go get an icepack to bring down Yuki's fever, then throw both their wet clothes in the dryer. Once both of those things had been done, Kyo sat in Yuki's desk chair that he'd pulled over to the bed and fanned the rat with one of Shigure's many bazillion fans. After some time of doing this, it occurred to Kyo that he was terribly concerned about the rat's condition. He'd always spoken about Yuki dying, but now that thought brought a wave of sheer panic over him. Please rat, wake up...move...do SOMETHING!!! Kyo thought. No sooner had he done so, than a tear fell from Yuki's eye. What gives? Why is he crying? then he heard Yuki say in a raspy whisper, "happy...mothers...day...." Then it hit Kyo like a ton of bricks. He knew what had happened 2 days ago. He'd come home so depressed, even the air seemed to be sad. Yuki had been to see his mother that day while Kyo and Tohru went to Kyoko's grave. Something must have happened. He must have stayed upset about it...especially today, I wondered why he didn't want to come to the airport with Tohru. He looked down at Yuki sympathetically. Thinking to himself that at least HIS mother was dead now, and couldn't tell him horrible things anymore. He ran his hand through Yuki's damp hair softly. Then, Yuki slowly opened his eyes, causing the cat to pull his hand back in a jerk motion.
 
Yuki's blurred vision came into mild focus as he looked up through tears at Kyo. He put his hands to his face and started bawling like a small child. Kyo felt some strange urge to pick up the what-seemed-to-be fragile frame of Yuki and pillow him close to his body. What was wrong with him? He certainly never felt this way for his nemesis before...why now? What is because he was showing signs of vulnerability? Or was it the simple realization that he, and the rest of the Jyuunishi, Kyo included were human beings with emotions too. He did as his urge told him to, and cradled Yuki. He felt a frail grasp on his shirt and then felt warmth drop on his chest. Yuki was absolutely beside himself for whatever reason. "Please don't tell me you hate me...I'm sorry I'm a failure!!! I'm sorry that the only person that wants me around is Akito! I'm sorry mother!" Yuki wailed, not entirely realizing who it was he was hanging onto.
 
Kyo put a hand on Yuki's head gently, "Hey now," he started, "No need to beat yourself up for some stupid crap your mom spewed on Mother's Day. You should have let Ayame go with you, stupid rat." He finished gently. Eventually, Yuki had cried himself to sleep in Kyo's arms. Once the cat was sure that he was asleep, he laid him back down and pulled the covers over him. I'd better go to sleep too...its past midnight. But I'm a bit concerned...he'll change into a rat soon and then it'll be really bad. I'll have to phone Hatori tomorrow if he doesn't improve. Hmm...maybe I should phone and wake him up tonight. He'll be pissed, but at least thats better than Akito once the stupid rat dies. He'd made his resolution, he went downstairs and picked up the phone. He dialed Hatori's number. The phone rang 3 times before a sleepy and slightly pissed off voice came on the other end,
 
"What?" Kyo tried to stay as nice as possible with the doctor. Being snippy would get him nothing but an angry Sohma doctor with a syringe containing Kami knows what.
"Hey Hatori. Sorry to be calling so early in the morning, but I have a possible emergency on my hands here."
"What's the emergency, Kyo-kun?" Hatori asked, a little bit more awake.
"Everyone's favorite rat boy stayed out in the rain too long and passed out. He's running a fever and he's highly delusional. I'm not sure what he's got but---" Kyo heard the sound of Yuki transforming upstairs, "He's transformed and what he's got is a hell of a lot worse than a cold. What do I do?"
"How high was the fever? Did you take his temperature?"
"102 degrees. And he was shivering something awful when I got him into the house."
"Kyo, I want you to monitor him tonight. If he takes anymore than 60 breaths per minute, call me again. I'll be over first thing in the morning. Take his pulse once an hour, if it gets higher than 75 beats per minute, call the hospital. Do you understand?" Kyo nodded and repeated,
"60 breaths per minute, no more than 75 heart beats per minute. Breath, call you, heart, call hospital. Got it." He hung up the phone and went back upstairs.
 
At around 2 in the morning, Yuki had changed back to his human self and Kyo was more relieved. Everything that Hatori had told him to check for were the exact numbers he specified, so he figured, Yuki'd be fine until the Sohma doctor arrived there, but at about 2:30, he was proven wrong. Yuki started coughing fiercely and something came dripping out his mouth that caused Kyo to panic; it was a mixture of mucus and blood. He immediately ran for the phone and dialed Hatori's number in a frantic mess of panic and fatigue. Hatori picked up the phone on the first ring, "Hello."
"Hatori! Yuki just coughed up something nasty! It was off green with tinges of red. I'm pretty sure it was blood among other things...you have to come here, NOW!"
"I'm on my way." and not another word said, the phone clicked off. Kyo ran back upstairs into Yuki's room and found him sitting up in bed, coughing as if he were having an asthma attack, but that same greenish fluid from before was dripping out of his mouth through his fingers. Tears were streaming down his cheeks as Kyo approached.
 
"Yuki! What's going on?" Yuki turned his head, and between coughs he said,
"Kyo...my chest...it hurts..." Kyo rushed over to the bed and knelt down next to it, and taking Yuki's free hand in his said,
"Hatori's on his way here to help you. Hold on just a few more minutes." Yuki nodded and coughed again.
"Bring me water...please." Yuki asked him hoarsely. Kyo nodded and went to get it for him. Hatori came in the door,
 
"You left it unlocked?"
"You were coming, weren't ya? I figured save us both the trouble of wasting time." Kyo retorted, coming out of the kitchen with a glass of water.
"Well, let's not waste time then. He's in bed, yes?" Hatori asked. Kyo nodded and followed the doctor up the stairs. When they got to Yuki's room, Hatori turned on Kyo, "Stay out here in the hall please."
"Here, Hatori. This is for Yuki. He asked for it before you got here." Hatori took the glass from Kyo and went inside the room, closing the door behind him.
 
It was an hour before Hatori came out of the room, and Kyo sat on the floor outside the bedroom feeling lonely. For some reason unknown to him, he felt he needed Yuki...not as someone to hate, but...as someone to love and care for. He didn't realize that he'd begun tearing up until Hatori broke through his thoughts by saying, "He wants you." Kyo sat up with a start.
"What? Sorry...I was day dreaming."
"I said he wants to see you." Kyo stood up.
"Ok." He walked in the room and saw Yuki laying down, calmer now and not coughing as badly. He heard the door close behind him and Hatori go downstairs. Looking over at Yuki, a feeling of relief swept over him. He walked over to the bed and chair and sat down. Yuki smiled up at him,
 
"Hey."
"Hey. Feeling any better?"
"A little bit. Hatori told me you were absolutely panicked when I started coughing. Is that true?" Yuki asked weakly.
"A bit true, yeah...ok, so it's all true. I mean, would u honestly want Akito kicking your sorry ass if you were me in this circumstance?" Kyo said. Yuki smirked and shook his head,
"I guess not. He's pretty nasty."
"You would know." Kyo blushed slightly. Why was he blushing? Jeez, things were going from weird to weirder...WAY fast.
"I guess I would...Kyo, thank you for tonight. Hatori said that I'll be ok thanks to you. He said if you hadn't been watching me, trying to bring my fever down, and monitoring my pulse and breathing, I'd for sure be a goner by now. I credit my survival to you."
"All I did was freak out...you don't owe me anything." He looked away from Yuki.
"And if I wanted to pay you back anyway? What would you want?" Kyo returned with a question of his own,
"What would you want to give me?" Yuki sat up and turned Kyo's face to his own and kissed him lightly and looked at him gently,
"What wouldn't I want to give you? I've wanted to give you everything I had ever since I first saw the blazing orange hair and hot temper of yours..." His voice trailed off as he saw Kyo blush a bright red.
"You want to know the truth, Rat?" he asked.
"sure, tell me."
"I hated you for as long as I can remember...but tonight...seeing that you were the same as me...well," He couldn't finish his sentence and kissed Yuki passionately, and after breaking the kiss, "I want you to be mine." Tears flowed out of his and Yuki's eyes when Yuki answered,
"Yes."
"We should sleep now...its almost 4 in the morning. I'm gonna ask Hatori not to tell Ayame what happened here tonight...thats one headache you can do without."
"Sure, good night...Koibito." Kyo liked the sound of being called that. He kissed Yuki one more time before leaving the room,
"Good night, Koishii."
 
 
Shigure came home the next morning to find both Yuki and Kyo asleep in each other's arms; Yuki looking slightly feverish, and Kyo looking happier than he'd ever been.