Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Phantom ❯ The Devil Within ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hey girls and maybe guys! I hope you like how my story is going so far, I'm trying to make it spookier. Please keep sending reviews in just to make sure that you like the story. (For people who haven't reviewed yet but if you want to review more, your welcome to) THANKS
 
Chapter 8 The Devil within
 
Akito took a step into the cold as he made his way to the graveyard. He sniggered as he thought of Tohru. She deserves to suffer; it's her own fault that all of this is happening. He looked at the spot where Ryoichi's grave was previously placed. He wondered if his wish did come true, sure Tohru was suffering but he never expected the Jyunishi to be dying. He heard that a spirit or a ghost was roaming around the place haunting the Sohma main house.
 
Just as he tried to exit, a heavy weight pushed him back and a strong gust of wind blew on his face until it hurt. He opened his eyes slightly to reveal a glance of a transparent figure. His eyes widened. Could this be the ghost of Ryoichi like Hatori had said? The force calmed down and the ghost came nearer.
 
“Are you-are you Ryoichi Sohma?” Akito stuttered as he asked still afraid of what the ghost could do to him although he knew that Ryoichi could not hurt him since Akito himself respected the first leader.
 
The ghost of Ryoichi ignored his question. “Hahaha, you are so foolish, you are willing to trade your life for the life of the zodiac animals.”
 
“What, what are you talking about?” Akito frowned.
 
“Do you not realise the damage you have done, you are supposed to be dead now Akito, your time here has merely passed its limits. By using the energy of the zodiac animals, you are living an extended life. Now all because of you, they are living lives of misery while being pulled down by a serious sickness. You are so inconsiderate it's not even funny. Why I even sacrificed my life along with the other leaders of the Sohma clan and you are the first to destroy the chain.” Ryoichi smirked looking mad.
 
“I never wished for this to happen…I had no clue, this is completely NOT my fault, you're the one who's going around the place killing people or nearly killing them, you're the one who's haunting this place, you're the one who's causing damage to the bond between god and the zodiac!” Akito shouted at the ghost.
 
“Akito, Akito, Akito, It was you who honestly said that it was Tohru's fault, you wished for this to happen and I granted your wish by ridding the zodiac one by one and Tohru Honda.
 
“I never said I wanted to get rid of the zodiac!” Answered Akito.
 
“Maybe not but your heart did.” Ryoichi boomed.
 
“Well what do you want me to do huh? Wish for this all to go away?” Akito yelled but soon realised that Ryoichi had gone in less than a second leaving Akito angry and flustered.
 
`There is no way that this is my fault, nobody has any proof, I am not trading my life in for the zodiac animal's, all I wanted was for this damn Tohru Honda to stay away from me and the jyunishi. This is all Ryoichi's doing, not mine.' Akito thought as he spotted Ryoichi's grave back in its place. He ran and kicked it with all his might, then used rocks and started to throw them at the grave.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
Meanwhile a nearby maid spotted Ryoichi with Akito; she was frightened but her curiosity overpowered her fear. She took a step closer as she listened to their conversation behind the hedge. Her heart throbbed just as she heard what they were saying. She sneaked back to the house quietly making sure that Akito could not see her.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
Tohru helped Hatori with Rin as she tucked her in bed. It was so depressing; Rin was the only young Sohma left, now it's just Kureno, Shigure, Hatori, Ayame and timid Ritsu. Their only hope left was for Hatori to find a cure unless…something else would come to mind.
 
“Tohru can I speak to you for a moment?” Hatori called out to her.
 
“Oh yea of course.” Tohru woke up from her own thoughts and walked towards Hatori.
 
“Kyo…he's…dying.”
 
Tohru's whole body turned into cold hard ice as she heard the word dying and the word Kyo. Less than a minute, she started to cry, her eyes swelling up becoming puffy and red. She couldn't care less about being embarrassed right now, she was devastated.
 
“Why……are you sure? How do you know?” Tohru asked Hatori her voice shallow with sadness.
 
“He's the first to become sick, I'm afraid he's getting worse and it looks to me that he's dying. This isn't something I can cure unless we can find a solution. But in the meantime, I'm…utterly troubled, I can't seem to figure out what is going on. To make it worse, I think Yuki could be in the dying stage next. I'm sorry Tohru but I don't know what I can do to help.” Hatori spoke as his eyes began to water.
 
`This can't be happening, I can't let this happen, I won't let this happen.' Tohru's tears turned into anger as she grabbed Kyo's limp hand and squeezed it tightly.
 
“I am going to make sure that you get better, I won't let you die Kyo, I won't and I never will so please stay strong, fight the sickness, It won't be long till I can hear your voice again. Please… please, hold on just a little longer.” Tohru cried out to Kyo hoping that he could at least hear her.
 
She then turned to Yuki and held onto his hand breathing the same words to him. Hatori watched helplessly as he sat down with his head in his hands. The pain was unstable. He was the doctor and knowing that he couldn't do anything to save them had just made him feel guilty and selfish.
 
Tohru then heard a few footsteps come into the building as she saw Ayame, Shigure and Kureno looking as if they had just run a mile. Right behind them appeared Ritsu with a short plump maid with curly hair. She too looked as if she had run a series of marathons.
 
“What's going on?” Ayame asked.
 
“Well…Kyo…he's dying and so is everyone else.” Tohru told them as her eyes started to hurt from tears.
 
“That is……” Kureno left his sentence unfinished as he spotted Hatori looking gloomy. The last time they had ever seen Hatori like that was when he had to erase Kana's memory and that had hurt him deep. But still memories scarred him like permanent wounds and now he would have an additional loss. Kyo, unless there was a miracle.
 
“Well, it think we have some news you might want to know about, if you don't mind us interrupting.” Ritsu said quietly.
 
“Yes…what is it?” Tohru gave a small amount of hope praying that the news would help save Kyo and the others.
 
“Okay, well Naoko works here as a full time maid. She saw the ghost…of Ryoichi and she overheard a conversation between him and Akito.” Shigure explained to them.
 
Naoko the maid told them in detail what Akito and the ghost of Ryoichi had said in the previous conversation not so long ago, she even wrote down notes on a piece of paper thinking that this was so important that Tohru and the others just had to know.
 
Hatori and Tohru's heart leaped as they heard about the part where Ryoichi had said that Akito was willing to trade his life in for the zodiac animals and that Akito's life would have been over if it weren't for the jyunishi. Tohru was a little surprised that the maid knew about the curse but then again, the maid had been working here for more than ten years, who couldn't know?
 
“Oh dear… do you know what this means at all?” Kureno asked breaking the silence. Shigure nodded with struggle.
 
“Why…what does this mean?” Tohru questioned still a little confused.
 
“Tohru, I'm afraid we have just found the solution to curing Kyo and the others.” Hatori said with his head still hanging low.
 
Tohru thought that they would've been happy but their faces were still blank and stressed. She wondered what in the world they had just meant. She didn't even realise that she had a bright grin on her face. She ran to Kyo's side and looked at him happily.
 
“Kyo, you are going to be fine, we're going to save you!” She exclaimed.
 
“Um…Tohru…I know this is good news but it is also bad news.” Ayame pointed out looking at Tohru oddly.
 
“What's wrong?” Tohru asked.
 
“You do realise that if we save Kyo and the others, someone has to pay the debt, someone else has to die…” Shigure told her slowly.
 
“Who?” Tohru questioned.
 
“I believe it is Akito,” said Ritsu bluntly.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
Did ya like chapter 8?
Thanks for reading!