Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Fruit ❯ Man and Everyman ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shigure sat at his desk, the cursor on the screen blinking at him in silent reproach. Not that they really did that anymore, screens hadn't actually blinked in years. Nowadays cursors just sat there, immobile, as though daring you to come up with the words to push them across the page.
 
Stupid cursor.
 
It's not that he was blocked exactly, great novelists like himself did not suffer such indignity. He did admit, though the words were not flowing as easily as they might and his thoughts seemed to have taken up the unfortunate habit of wandering. Each time he took up the plight of his protagonist, the 'everyman,' those thoughts would betray him, moving instead to the circumstances surrounding him. The people in his life, who were anything but normal, seemed intent on occupying the forefront of his mind.
 
It wasn't just the curse that made them extraordinary. While That set them apart, it wasn't what defined them--their personalities, their souls. No, his life was filled with a cast of remarkable characters, each brilliant, strong, creative and passioned in their own right. In his house alone, there was The Broken Girl with the heart of gold and the Doomed Boy with the spirit of fire. There was a Reluctant Prince who counted his worth in pennies and the Jester, watching from the sidelines and telling tales even as he planned his coronation.
 
No...the 'everyman' was outside his experience. He could, of course, write from his experience but it's a poor novelist who can't make things up. Besides...nobody would ever believe the truth.