Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ On With Life ❯ On With Life ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
ON WITH LIFE
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This fic may get terribly depressing before it's over in a short while. After two deaths in my own family I've had to step back and analyze a few things. Strangely enough I was inspired to write this little piece about Yuki. Told from Yuki's POV. Standard Disclaimer follows story.




It's raining outside. Severe downpours and possible lightening I think the weatherman had said. Well I haven't seen a bit of lightening, but a rumble of thunder just rolled through.

My clothing is soaking wet. My freshly cut gray hair clings is pasted to my forehead and cheeks. Water drips from the edges and into my eyes. My clothing clings to my slight frame, my sleeves and pant legs refuse to budge as I walk. I know I look a sight and I care little. I'm only here for him.

For Akito.

It's strange, but after all this time, I'm left uncertain about him. About his death. I thought I'd be happy. Kami, knows I only have a little bit of happiness in my life and even that he tried to take away. Hell, I thought I'd be ecstatic at the news of his passing.

But after hanging up the phone with Ayame I was left somewhat...wanting.

Akito's death should've been the happiest day of my life, yet I couldn't find it in me to smile. Not even once. All I could do was sit back and recall all the horrible things he'd done to my friends. My family.

My younger cousins, Momiji, Hiro and Kisa, who seemed to suffer so much at his hand. As if life wasn't already difficult enough for them. At least they can move on. Momiji wants to go to school abroad and I believe Hiro wanted to propose to Kisa, but couldn't find it in himself to ask Akito's permission.

Haru, who claimed that I was his first love before Rin, suffered greatly because of Akito's attempt to hurt Rin. He was badly broken up about her being in the hospital those years ago. And Rin, who will never admit how much she really cares for Haru, even now that Akito is gone. We never talked much, but I think in the day or two following Akito's death, we've come to an understanding.

We were both miserable because of him.

We were all miserable.

Well perhaps not all of us. Kureno, who had never really left Akito's side, looked a little brighter, as if a dark cloud had been taken away from over his head. Ritsu appeared to be opening up a little more, at least he didn't apologize as often as before.

Even Shigure, Hatori and Ayame seemed unfazed. In fact, Shigure planned a party for after the funeral service. Ayame tried to convince me to attend but I couldn't bring myself to go. My own confused feelings on the matter kept me away.

I didn't even attend the service this morning.

That's why I'm here now. To pay my final respects -- if that's what you'd wish to call them -- to the man who made my life a living hell and in the end, gave me the greatest gift of all.

Confused yet?

Memories of my childhood flash before my eyes as a bolt of lightening strikes the ground far away. I can recall being locked in a dark room. Akito believed it was my favorite place because he would always find cause to put me there. If I called him without formality. If I broke a sandal strap or even just looked at him wrong. Anything would do to put me in that box.

What happened in that room should not be told to young ears, or the pictures for young minds. His words still echo from the wall I'm almost certain. My screams can probably be heard somewhere in the background.

Sometimes I can still feel his hands as the touched me, groped my body for purchase and nearly beat me bloody on one occasion. Sometimes I still hear his voice, those harsh words meant to be his version of comfort but instead left me reeling in a backlash of verbal assault. Even with my eyes open, I can barely suppress the chilling shivers or inadvertent screams that follow such memories.

But that is what they are. Memories. It's amazing I've managed to become a sane man in adulthood, I suppose. And that's all thanks to one person.

Honda Tohru.

I still don't know why Akito had allowed her to stay with us. Even after her encounter with him at the Honke his reasons remained his own. But I was grateful nonetheless.

Imagine that.

Me, grateful to that sick bastard who couldn't possible be human.

But if that were true, then why can't I hate him with a passion? I had no problem doing it as a child. Or fearing him for that matter.

I wish I could truly hate him. Hate him for his spitefulness, for his brutal physicality and his ugly, abusive words. I should hate him for the pain he's cause me and my cousins. For the pain he's caused Tohru.

But I can't.

I'm not sad about his passing, but I'm not happy either.

I don't feel. It's just that simple.

I can't tell one way or another if his passing is a good thing or a bad thing.

"Yuki-kun?"

I only raise my arm and Tohru slides against me, molding herself into my side and wrapping her arms around my middle as I hold her close. She's soaked to the bone. I can feel her shiver against me. She shouldn't have come with me, but she had insisted.

And I could never tell her no.

Up until this morning I couldn't hold her or do any such thing for fear of transforming into my accursed rat form. Imagine how surprised we both were when she hugged me consolingly and I didn't change. Suddenly breakfast didn't matter as I carried her back to our bedroom.

Perhaps his passing was a good thing after all.

He suffered for us...although we suffered along with him.

And in the end, he saved us.

Leaving the grave behind, I am well aware of my feelings now. I have a beautiful wife and a daughter on the way. Things are suddenly looking up, despite what's happened in the past.

Now I can move on with life.


~OWARI~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^