Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Parenthood ❯ It begins... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Completely unoriginal but just had to try anyway.

Warning: (to be!) homosexual content, bad spelling/grammar! Don't like it? Then count to three, click your `back' button and off you go! ^__^

Disclaimer: I own nothing. I don't get paid for this and no animals were hurt in this house while writing this. What more do you want? o.O'

Parenthood

Chapter I: It begins…

The teacher of 2D cleared his throat and motioned every student in his class to be silent. Giving the last two chattering girls a glare shut them up immediately and they turned their attention to him.

"Alright class. I have something to tell you all. You're going to be given an assignment that has been different from all the lessons you've had before. As a matter of fact, this has nothing to do with any of the classes you've had before." he announced. "Despite that, you'll have to take this as seriously as all things you've done before. That is, if you want to pass this year. The grade you get is crucial. Just so you know." Soft murmurs were heard as the students took in the news and looked at each other, faces full of wonder and curiosity, not knowing what to expect.

The teacher opened of the boxes stacked next to his desk and pulled out, what seemed like two plastic dolls to everyone. The first doll looked like a baby, bald and had some pink clothes on, representing a girl. The second baby doll was also bald but dressed in light blue pants and a dark blue sweater, obviously representing a boy. He put both the dolls on his desk.

"This is what you're going to take care off for the next couple of three weeks."

One student broke out in laughter, earning an angry stare from the teacher and quickly stopped, smothering his laugh with one hand. Another one raised her hand in the air and waited for permission to speak. The teacher nodded his assent.

"We have to take care of a doll for three weeks? -Dolls-!? And this is crucial?"

People began to whisper to each other, exchanging odd looks. Some looked dismayed while others even looked curious.

The teacher coughed and raised his hand, hoping that everybody would stay silent long enough for him to explain everything. After a loud `ahem' everybody became quiet again.

"Despite of what you may think, this isn't a joke. Most of the school board thought a class like this would be necessary and useful for the future. Not to mention that is a great opportunity to show how `responsible' you all are."

"So your whole year depends on a stupid piece of plastic!" Kyo said loudly, thinking that the idea was plainly absurd.

"What's wrong, Kyon Kyon? Can't handle a poor, defenseless doll?" Uo taunted.

"Shut up! I bet yours would drop dead out of shock the minute they'd give it to you!"

"I'd sooner say that'd happen to you, idiot."

"Why you!"

"Er, how about I just start explaining how it works, alright?" The teacher picked one of the dolls up and lifted the shirt it was wearing up. "Now, if you look at the back, you'll see that you'll be able to see your score. With "score" I mean points you earned by taking care of the doll the right way. At the end I expect everyone to have a score of 200 or more points."

"But how exactly do you earn points? Can you lose points too?"

"Yes, yes. I understand your confusion but no need to worry! All will be explained-" he got out a thin, white book "-in this manual. Take one home and read it through. If you have any further questions, you can ask them the next time we meet. Understood?" he asked.

"Now, I want everyone to write their name on a -small- piece of paper and hand them over to me. I'll put them in this box and your partner will be selected at random."

Various protests were heard. Clearly not many people felt much for that idea.

"I'm not going into discussion about this!"

Grumbling, the students scribbled their names down and turned them in. Minami, Vice-President of the Prince Yuki Fan Club, leaned over to her friends and whispered excitedly "This is -our- chance to get close to Yuki-kun!"

"Ahh, I'd just die of happiness if I got paired up with him!", another member of the fan club said with eyes closed and an expression of pure bliss on her face.

* * *

"Honda Tohru?"

"Yes!" Tohru said immediately. She stood up and headed towards the teacher's desk, where she would find out with whom she'd be doing the assignment with. And although she had no problem with the others, it would be great if she was paired up with someone she actually knew well.

The teacher held out the brown box and she fished out a small piece of paper. A smile appeared on her face when she unfolded it.

It read `Uotani Arisa'.

"Uo-chan! It seems that we'll be doing this together."

"Huh? Really? Well, that's great!" her friend replied, first surprised but eventually pleased. After a doll was handed out to her Tohru returned to her seat, thinking by herself that she was very lucky.

The teacher got out another piece of paper and called Minami forward. Praying silently that she'd get Yuki as her partner, she grabbed a random piece of paper. She glanced at it for a few seconds, then put it away without having it opened at all.

"I don't have to look! I already know that my partner will be Yuki-kun!" and with that, she grabbed a doll from inside the box. When the teacher tapped her on the shoulder, she stiffened.

"Excuse me, but this paper says definitely something else." he said, a little peeved.

"R-really?"

"Your partner will be Hanajima Saki."

"What?!" She half screeched and stared at the black-haired girl, eyes wide in terror. Not her! Anyone -but- her! Well her and Uotani Arisa. The other girl was also very dangerous. But how could they pair her up with Hanajima? This would surely be the death of her! Turning to her teacher she asked, "Can I have another partner, please?"

The older man sighed and shook his head. It seemed that his students had quite the trouble with cooperating today. "No, you can't."

Defeated, Minami went back to her seat, looking at the other girl from the corners of her eyes and shuddered. She held the doll tight, as if it could protect her. Life as she knew it, would be over!

"Soma Kyo?"

Reluctant, Kyo approached the teacher's desk and glared at the lifeless dolls. He found this one of the most ridiculous assignments ever given. Was this even legal?

*If I don't pass this year because of this doll… the teacher can have it back in tiny little pieces.* he threatened silently and grabbed a piece of paper and folded it open.

"Soma…. YUKI!?" He began quietly but eventually shouted, clearly appalled. Of all the people… it had to be -him-?

Yuki, also unpleasantly surprised, looked up at Kyo who stood in front of the classroom, shaking with anger, demanding another try from the teacher.

"Oh oh, Yuki and Kyo, together?! That's bound to go wrong." Uo said, grinning at the scene of Kyo screaming at the teacher. But Tohru looked rather worried. She only hoped that everything would go alright.

"No way I'm doing this already stupid assignment with that bastard!" and just like that Kyo tore the small piece of paper into shreds.

"Kyo! Like I told many others before, you don't have a choice. If I give you another try, I might as well give everyone else a second try too." Shoving a doll into Kyo's hands, he said, "Now, back to your seat!"

Giving a cry of frustration Kyo stomped back to his seat, ready to snap at anyone who'd dare to speak to him now.

* * *

"This is crazy! To be paired up with -you-!" Kyo said, shooting the other boy an angry glare.

Yuki caught the angry glare and simply rolled his eyes "Look, I'm not exactly thrilled about all this, baka neko. But it can't be helped. No matter how much you protest. So I suggest you'd just calm down and-"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Kyo interrupted him.

Ignoring Kyo, he continued "-and make sure you don't mess it up for us."

"YOU make sure you don't mess up!" Kyo retorted.

Tohru, who had been following the conversation quietly, sighed. Now this was what she'd feared for. Maybe once the shock had worn off things would go better. Maybe they'd try and get along, for the sake of their grades! …But if things continued like they were now… Nothing good could come off it.

Suddenly the way home seemed much too long.

~*(^_^)*~TBC~*(^_^)*~

Well, it's short but it's a start. *does stretch exercises* Much more to come, whether you like it or not. ^__^ Got questions? Feel free to ask! Want to flame? Don't bother, unless it provides some real heat! My feet are kind of cold. >.<