Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Please Remember Me ❯ Tell Me What The Rain Knows ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Please Remember Me Chapter 5

Tell Me What The Rain Knows

 

Disclaimer: I do not in anyway own Fruits basket or any of the songs whose titles are used as titles for the chapters. Fruits Basket belongs to Natsuki Takaya-sama. Tell Me What The Rain Knows is done by Maaya Sakamoto.

 

A/N: This is from Shigure's POV. I almost had this done in one sitting, but I accidentally closed it with out saving and lost everything :( Sorry for the delay...

 

Chapter 5

The clock downstairs chimed one AM, but I don't think that anyone was asleep. I pulled my gaze away from my bedroom window and headed for the kitchen. Normally, I wouldn't be hungry at this time of night, but no one was really in the mood for Kagura's cooking, she's not that bad of a cook, but the inoshishi doesn't really compare to Tohru-kun's.

As I entered the kitchen, memories of Tohru-kun came flooding to my mind, as they usually did whenever I entered the kitchen. Not that this is the only room in the house where her memories overcome me, this is the one with the most memories.

*~*~*~*~*~FLASHBACK*~*~*~*~*~*A Few Years Ago

"Gomen, Shigure-san." Tohru apologized. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

I shook my head as much as a dog could with my face in a bowl of food. Tohru-kun's friends were spending the night. Needless to say, it was a disaster for those of us who know about the curse. I'd lost track how many times Kyo and Yuki had transformed. "Don't worry about it, Tohru-kun. If these girls are important to you, then they're important to us."

With that, Tohru hugged me and smiled. "Arigato, Shigure-san." She said, just before we heard the familiar *POOF* and quickly realized someone else had transformed.

I groaned when I saw an orange cat go by the kitchen. "You take care of your friends, I'll handle Kyo and see if I can find Yuki."

She nodded and grabbed the plate of snacks for her friends and headed out. I started to go after the neko, when I heard another *POOF* and knew it was Yuki who transformed. 'Wait! Didn't he just change back to human from rat?' I thought to myself as I found Kyo.

*~*~*~*~*~*~PRESENT*~*~*~*~*~*~

I smiled a half smile. At that time, it didn't seem like it was all that funny, but now its hilarious. After that incident, when ever Arisa-chan and Saki-chan spent the night, Yuki, Kyo and I were A LOT more careful not to transform. Tohru-kun was careful to make sure we didn't transform.

She was always looking out for other people. Aaya and I always seemed to think that she'd make a wonderful bride some day. Though, Aaya seemed to think that she'd marry Yuki. I thought she'd go for Kyo. I guess we both were wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Suddenly, I didn't seem as hungry as I did a moment ago. I headed back out of the kitchen towards the living room. I saw Kisa and Hiro's sleeping forms. I had the feeling that they were the only ones asleep. I glanced to where Kagura's futon was. I wasn't really shocked to find it empty. I headed out of the front door.

I paused on the porch when I heard Kagura's voice. She was sitting in the yard quite aways away from the porch, talking to the neko. Ever since Kyo told us about what happened to Tohru, Kagura's stayed next to him, and for once it seemed as though he didn't care.

I headed back inside and up stairs to Yuki's room. I slowly slid the door open and peered in. Yuki was asleep, surprisingly, and so was Aaya. So Kisa and Hiro weren't the only ones asleep, like I thought. Though it looked like Yuki had cried himself to sleep.

I glanced from Yuki to Aaya. The hebi didn't look very comfortable, he had fallen asleep in Yuki's desk chair, his head was propped up on his hand.

I quickly went to the closet and pulled out the last spare futon, and quickly set it in Yuki's room. I, then, shook Aaya awake.

"MMm...? Wha?" Aaya slowly woke up. "Gure-san? Wha time is it?"

"Its about 15 after 1 am. I thought you'd be more comfortable on a futon." I said pointing to the one I just spread out.

"Hai, arigato." he said leaning back in the chair and streching his arms over his head then rubbed the back of his neck. "Is anyone else asleep?"

"Just Kisa and Hiro."

Aaya just nodded and crawled into the futon and went back to sleep.

I quietly left and shut the door behind me. I glanced down the hall to a door that had remained closed for a year. Tohru-kun's room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~FLASHBACK*~*~*~*~*~A Year Ago*~*~*~*~*~*~

"That should be enough to please Mii-chan...for now." I sighed as I stood up. I had just completed the work for this coming up deadline on my newest book. I glanced at the clock next to my computer. One in the morning. I had no doubt that Tohru-kun, Yuki and Kyo were all in bed asleep. They were in their last year of high school, and it seemed to be taking a toll one those three...especially Tohru-kun. She seemed much more out of it than Yuki or Kyo did, but then again, she has been under a lot more, ever since the last time she spent the night at Saki-chan's about two months ago. I thought it was a bit odd that she would do something like that. Her friendship with Saki-chan and Arisa-chan seemed to be falling apart. Maybe she just wanted to try and save their friendship.

I sighed again and made my way upstairs to my room. I shut the door, and got ready for bed. An hour later, I woke up to Yuki screaming. I ran from my room and nearly collided with the neko.

I saw Yuki standing in Tohru-kun's doorway.

"Yuki? What's wrong?" I asked as I grabbed his shoulders. He just pointed inside Tohru's room. I followed his gaze and froze.

"Oh, gods." I heard Kyo say just before he ran to the bathroom to get sick.

I moved over to Tohru's body and checked around for a pulse. "Yuki! Call for an ambulance!" I ordered over my shoulder. I couldn't find a pulse.

*~*~*~*~*~*~PRESENT*~*~*~*~*~*~

I shook my head. Never in my nearly thirty years of life had I ever seen something like that. I just hope I never see anything like that again.

For awhile after Tohru died, for some reason we kept transforming, but it was mostly Yuki who'd transform. I guess it was because his heart was weak, or something like that at least. It wasn't just Kyo, Yuki and I who would transform. It was also almost every other cursed Sohma who ever met Tohru. Aya would blame it on the cold weather though.

"Shigure ojii-san?" The tora's soft voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Kisa-chan? I thought you were asleep." I said, putting my hand on her head.

"Where's Kagura-nee?" Kisa sometimes spoke but only when she really had to. Otherwise she was completely silent.

"She's outside with Kyo. Go on back to sleep, okay?"

She nodded slowly and turned to go, but then she turned back to me. "Do you miss her, Shigure Ojii-san?"

I nodded. "I miss her very, very much, Kisa-chan." Kisa's lower lip began to tremble. She rand back to me and wrapped her arms around my waist and buried her face in my stomach and cried.

"I miss Onee-chan!" She said around a sob. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close until she stopped crying. I carried her back to her futon and put her back to bed. I'm not real good at comforting people, so it wasn't any surprise to me that I didn't know what to say to the crying tora.

I sighed and went to my study. I sat down in front of my computer and turned it on. While I waited for it to load up, my gaze drifted to a picture of Tohru, Kyo, Yuki, Aaya, Hatori, Hiro and Kisa. I took that picture last year when we went on to the lake for a second time. We had planned to make it a yearly event for us. I gave a weak smile to the picture then put it back next to the monitor. I noticed the computer was done loading up. I started working again on the first new book I've written in almost a year.

I was kind of surprised that Mii allowed me to take a year off from writing. That was unusual of her. I guess she realized just how close Tohru was to all of us, or maybe it was because I suddenly lost my creative spirit when Tohru died.

I told that to Aaya and he said, "It could mean that Tohru-kun became your 'creative spirit' as you call it. Now that she's gone, you just can't seem to bring yourself to write again. You will someday, Gure-san, I know you will. It's just a matter of time."

I shook my head. "You don't know how right you are, Aaya." I said softly as I picked up the picture again.

 

 

Inoshishi=boar

Ojii=grandpa/ old man

Tora=tiger

nee=sister

 

A/N: I'm not sure how many more chapters I'm going to do for this fic. Maybe one or two more....but then I always say that.