Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Some things change and others don't ❯ Happy Birthday, Tohru! ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Don't own so don't sue!
 
That last chapter was kind of a break for me! Whew! But it's all good now! Now, on with the chapter!
 
~*~*~
 
“Damn, I forgot you were still here.” Kyo yawned shooting a glare over to Ayame, who was currently sleeping. It was way too early in the morning for anyone to be awake. It was Sunday after all and who wants to get up early on a Sunday? Kyo sure didn't, but something was bothering him, like he forgot something, or something bad was about to happen. Kyo walked into the laundry room in hopes of finding a pair of socks that weren't dirty or wet. Nothing. He couldn't even find two mis-matched socks. He couldn't even find a dirty sock. “Where are all my socks?”
Oh well, who cares. He could just buy more socks when he went out that day. Kyo walked into the living room and who should be up but Shigure? “Good morning Kyo. You're up awfully early.” Shigure said smirking while walking into the kitchen. Kyo followed him; “I could say the same for you. Why are you up so early?” Shigure shrugged and laid down on the table. Kyo twitched, “You were up at 2:00 again watching a horror flick again weren't you?” Shigure shook his head, “Define horror.”
“Which movie was it?”
“Bogeyman.”
“Any good?”
“Sadly, no. Unfortunately it really wasn't scary like most people have told me. I'll bet the authoress has seen anime characters scarier than the bogeyman.” (A/N: hehe! Yes!)
Kyo looked strangely at him. “Is that so?” Shigure nodded, “Yes.”
“Well, then. Hey, has Tohru done anything with the laundry?”
“I wouldn't know. Why?”
“I can't find any of my socks.”
`Socks?' Shigure thought to himself. “Why don't you ask her when she gets up? Or go buy more yourself?”
“Fine.” Kyo spat as he exited the kitchen. On any other occasion he would have stomped out making a lot of noise, but he really didn't feel like waking the stupid snake up. It was too early to hear Ayame's voice.
Kyo got two steps out side of the house when Shigure called him back from the inside of the house. “Kyo! Hold on a second.” Kyo twitched as he turned to face Shigure, “What. Do. You. Want?” Shigure grinned, “I was wondering, if you remembered that Tohru's birthday is comming up?” Kyo's face went red, “I...” “Forgot?” Shigure interrupted. “I figured as much. It's in three days, Kyo. Oh well, have a nice day.” He turned to re-enter the house. Kyo stood there dumbfounded, “Wha-” He knew he was about to scream really loud, and he was right below Tohru's window. So he ran down the road quickly, “What the hell would she want?!” Some of the people walking by him stared at him strangely then moved on. To anyone else, asking someone what he or she wanted for their birthday would have been easy.
But, there were two things that would keep him from finding out. Reason one was that Kyo was too embarrassed; not that he would ever admit it or anything. Reason two, if he did ask Tohru, she would say something along the lines of, `No, nothing. I couldn't possibly make you buy anything for me. It's too much..' “Feh,” Kyo snarled walking down the streets to all the gift stores. What could he get her? What does she like? What does she hate? All the unanswerable questions. “I could just guess at what she wants... but, then how would I know if she liked it? She would say she liked it even if she hated it!”
“Then why are you so worried about it?”
Kyo looked behind him, “Huh?” It was Hana, Tohru's friend. “I said, then why are you so worried about it?” She repeated. “I-” Kyo slightly blushed, “I wasn't! I'm not!” Hana didn't believe him. She knew he was lying. But then again, who wouldn't know he was lying at that point? “Don't worry about it, Kyo-kun.” Hana continued. “Just get her something nice that she doesn't have. Or you at least think she doesn't have.” Kyo glared at her; “I do not need your help!” Hana walked on. Ignoring his comment. As she was leaving Kyo noticed that a little boy that looked almost similar to Hana behind her. He boy stared at Kyo for a minute. Kyo glared at him, “What the hell do you want?” He walked on. Kyo stared at him as he walked on to join up with Hana. “What was that about? Whatever.” He went on looking at the gift stores, when he spotted something. Something that he had to get for Tohru. He couldn't explain it. But something was pulling him to get it. So he did.
Kyo was making his way home when he passed by a TV store. He paid no mind to it but on the TV was the news, which spoke of a thief roaming the area. The thief had severely injured five people and killed eleven. When Kyo made it home he didn't have to ask if Ayame was awake...
“YU~KI!!!” Ayame's voice could possibly have been heard within the entire city. Kyo walked in expecting the worst. Tohru was cooking breakfast, the dog was reading the newspaper, and the damn rat was trying to ignore his sibling, who was talking endlessly. The only time he didn't talk was probably in his sleep. Kyo ran upstairs to his room, placed the item he had bought in a safe place, then went back downstairs. He sat down at the table next to Shigure, and across from Yuki.
It was perfect timing to because at that moment Tohru walked in with a tray full of food, “Okay, its ready.” Ayame jumped up, “Wonderful Tohru! It smells delicious! Once again Tohru, you have made the day complete with yet another one of your amazing meals!” Tohru blushed, “Oh, no really, it's nothing special.” “Oh, but it is!” Yuki thought to himself, `Ayame's babbling has just about sent me in the nut house. I would just love to throw him off a cliff. One of these days... I'm gonna... I'm gonna...' Right then Yuki imagined himself getting a chainsaw, putting on a mask, and beating the crap out of Ayame. He snickered at this even though he knew that this would never happen. No one seemed to notice him snickering though. Which was a good thing. However, he was still upset at Ayame for many things. But, his behavior, and the fact that he lied about why he was living with them mainly disgusted him. But, that also made him sick. He had to get back at him somehow... right? That isn't childish. An eye for an eye. Yuki sighed. It was a passing thought. Nothing to take seriously. He looked over at Kyo. Yuki could tell Kyo was ready to grab a knife and stab Ayame a million times. Not that it mattered.
 
Later that day, when Tohru was out shopping, Ayame had gone to work at his store, and Shigure was avoiding his editor yet again, Yuki was about to leave the house for his own reasons when Kyo sprang up in front of him. “What do you want?” Yuki asked tiredly not wanting to fight but assuming Kyo did. “I want him gone!” Kyo yelled. Yuki stared at him for a minute, “So, tell him to leave.” Kyo snarled, “Why you!” Kyo was ready to punch him. “You know I can't do that. If I had an option here I would be moved out by now so I wouldn't have to be in the midst of this kind of crap!” Yuki walked past him, “So what do you want me to do?” Kyo almost exploded from the rat's stupidity. “I want you to make him leave!!” Yuki was already gone. He may have heard Kyo but no one could prove it even if he did.
At that moment Shigure ran as fast as he could while laughing his head off, “Come on Mii, It was funny!” His editor was right behind him. Mii was covered in mud; feathers, some form of syrup, and some other house hold sweets like sugar and flour. “When I catch you Shigure, I'm gonna kill you! You hear that? Come back here! You still have a story to write both our lives are on the line! Shigure!”
 
~* Three days later *~
 
Tohru's birthday was here and the entire zodiac cursed members and Tohru's two school friends were there. “Happy Birthday Tohru!” Momiji cried out handing Tohru his gift. She smiled, “Thank you Momiji.” Ayame and Hatsuharu went to her next. “Happy Birthday.” Haru said. “Thanks.” Tohru replied. Ayame grabbed her hand and kissed it, “Happy birthday, to the sweetest princess there ever was.” Tohru blushed as Ayame handed her a nicely wrapped up gift. “My assistant and I looked hard together to find the perfect gift for you. So, this is from me and also from her.” “How wonderful.” She said. Many more birthday wishes were made from the Sohma family plus Uo and Hana. Tohru received a charm bracelet from Kagura, a gift card from Hatori, an anime from Kisa and Hiro, a necklace from Ritsu, (which he apologized for because he thought she didn't like it.) and a plushie from Momiji. Hana gave her a red rose bud, which symbolizes purity and cuteness. (It was fake so it would last forever) Uo gave her a sketchbook, Shigure gave her a gift card, and Ayame had gotten her a beautiful ocean view painting.
She had opened up everyone's presents except for, Yuki and Kyo. She didn't mind. She could have gotten nothing and have been happy just so long as she was with the company of others. That night when on like any other night. Kagura and Haru were chasing Kyo for different reasons. Ayame, Shigure, Hatori, and Ritsu (go fig.) were hanging amongst themselves laughing and having a great time. Momiji, Hana, Uo, Yuki, Kisa, and Hiro (he was only there because Kisa was) were hanging around Tohru. Everyone was having a great time. “By the way, Tohru,” Hana began, “Megumi wanted me to tell you happy birthday.” Tohru brightened up, “Really? How has he been?” “He's been good.” Hana said breaking off the conversation. Obviously not wanting to talk more.
Later that evening, when everyone had left Kyo gave Tohru her gift when no one was around. “It's nothing special.” He spat. She just smiled, “Thank you. I really mean it. Thank you.” Kyo slightly blushed and ran around the corner. He listened to her open it, “oh, it's so beautiful...” He ran up to his room. Ayame was sleeping in there tonight and Kyo thought he would be asleep by then. Yuki then went up to her. “Tohru.. here.. I uh.. I got you this.” He handed her a gift. She took it and was about to open it when Kyo ran downstairs and walked towards the door. “Uh, Kyo! Where are you going? It's almost midnight!” Tohru asked. “Stupid cat,” Yuki added in, “what are you thinking?” Kyo growled, “I am so sick of hearing Ayame's voice! And I'm sick of seeing your face you damn rat!” Tohru blinked, “What did he do to you?” “He wont shut up about his friggen' day!” He spat. Suddenly Ayame's voice came from upstairs, “Oh don't tell me you didn't want to relive this wonderful day!” “I'm outta here!” He went out the door.
“But, Kyo!” Tohru tried to stop him. It was too late, he had already left. Yuki sighed, “Don't worry about him. He'll be back by tomorrow morning.” “Right.” Tohru said going back to the gift. She opened up the dress. (I think I described it in the chapter called `The Reason.') “Yuki, it's wonderful! I don't know what to say!” Tohru loved the dress. If there were a high point of the day, that would have been it for Yuki.
 
~* The next morning *~
 
Tohru was making breakfast. Ayame was annoying Yuki and Shigure was just grinning at them. The only thing missing was Kyo. “Where is Kyo?” Shigure asked. “I don't know.” Yuki simply stated. “He got mad and stormed out of the house last night after everyone left.” “Is that so?” Shigure asked not really looking for an answer. Tohru came out with breakfast and the daily routine of Ayame's compliments, and Yuki's irritation's commenced. The phone rang and Tohru picked it up. “Moshi Moshi?” She asked cheerfully. She was silent for a moment but Ayame was still being loud. “Kazuma..?” Tohru asked. Dead silence. “Kazuma?” Shigure repeated. Yuki and Ayame were staring over at Tohru. “He...” Tohru said less cheerfully and more scared to Kazuma. “Okay, then.” Her voice grew with sadness in it. “Yes, of course. Bye.” She hung up and turned to the three zodiac members who were still staring at her. “Tohru,” Ayame began. “What did Kazuma say?” Yuki asked. Tohru stared at them. “It's Kyo...” “What about him?” Shigure asked. She started to cry; “Kazuma said he was attacked by someone last night and he might not make it through the day...” She couldn't speak anymore. A slight pause from shock. Yuki went up to her, “Don't worry...”
 
Tohru, Yuki, Shigure, and Ayame arrived at the hospital that Kazuma said Kyo was at. Kazuma and Kagura greeted them there at the waiting room. “How is he? Where is he?” Tohru asked. “He's in critical condition still... they wont let us see him yet.” Kazuma answered. Kagura ran up to Tohru and hugged her. Her eyes were tearstained, “Oh Tohru! This is terrible!” She cried harder. “It'll be okay, Kagura.” Tohru said crying along with her. Yuki walked with them over to a seat near the door where the doctors came out to call for patients.
“Kazuma...” Shigure said. Kazuma looked over at Shigure and Ayame. The same question was running through their minds. “How did you know about Kyo?” Shigure continued. Ayame piped in, “I understand that you were the person who raised him. But, shouldn't Shigure have known first? Since Kyo is living there. Unless you were the one who found him.” “But that wouldn't make sense...” Shigure interrupted. “You live too far away to have accidentally come across him or even for him to go to you.” Kazuma sighed, “That's not what is important right now is it?” He looked over at Kagura, Yuki, and Tohru. “I suppose it isn't?” Shigure stated going over to them with Ayame leaving Kazuma, who sat on the opposite side of the room.
 
~*~*~
End... for now
Holy jeeze! That took forever for me to think up & type!
Okay, so the special guests were Megumi and Kazuma! I think I'll have Megumi again in another chapter. I was originally thinking of having him do a bigger role in this chapter. But the way I was thinking of putting him in here would have taken too long for me to type.
Anyways I hope you liked this chapter because I worked hard on this one! Plus I wanted to get it done because I'm going out of state for a month and I wouldn't be able to update. But don't worry, I'll be working on the next chapters while I'm gone.
 
*****Please review!
 
In the next chapter...
Kyo's still in a coma in the hospital. Will he make it out alive? How did Kazuma know that Kyo was hurt? Can Yuki and Ayame finally settle their differences? Or are they fated to never get along again? As Tohru sees Kyo in a coma, she relives the time when she saw her mother like this and begins to break down. How will she cope? Plus, what was it that Kyo got Tohru for her Birthday? Find out in the next chapter.