Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Note ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

He was going to do it. He had to. It was eating him up inside.

“I will do it. It’s just a note. A piece of paper with writing on it.” He tried to motivate himself. He couldn’t believe to him this was much harder than trying to beat Yuki. He would beat Yuki this time though. He would beat him to Tohru.

Kyo loved Tohru. Every time he saw her his heart swelled until he thought it would burst. He couldn’t go on any longer with her not knowing of his love and care for her. Kyo had written a note the day before and had planned to put it in her shoe locker before school ended so she could open it and read it. Now he was at her locker and was staring at it. He couldn’t bring himself to put it in.

‘Just slide it through the holes and walk away,’ he thought to himself. ‘What if she’s offended that the Cat likes her? What if she doesn’t like me back? What if she likes that Rat…?’ He stopped at this thought. What if she did like that Kuso Nezumi? He would be shattered. She probably wouldn’t even look at him after that. Or what if they did end up dating but she liked Yuki but never told him because she thought she might hurt his feelings. Well it would hurt. Very badly. But it would hurt more to have her pretending when she felt something else.

Kyo looked at his feet and started to walk away when he heard the door open. He froze in his tracks. Who could be there? School hadn’t ended yet so it probably wasn’t a student.

Kyo dashed behind a row of lockers when the footsteps started to approach. He peered around one of the lockers to see who the person was. Unfortunately there was a row of lockers in the way and he couldn’t see the person. He heard the rustle of paper and the footsteps go way. The door closed.

Kyo came out of his hiding place and looked around the room tying to see any evidence of where the person might have been. Nothing had been moved and there was nothing on the floor.

He pocketed the note and stepped out of the room. Kyo dragged his feet and walked slowly back to class.

‘I couldn’t even put the note in her locker. I’ve done harder than this. I’m such coward. I’m afraid she’ll turn away from me. I’ve already tested her with my true form, but what if this too much for her. She might leave the house and ask for her memories to be erased and we’d have to stay away from her so they don’t come back.’ Kyo walked back into the classroom and sat down.

15 minutes later the bell rang and he started for the locker room with Tohru talking beside him. He was barely listening to her thinking, ‘If I’d put the note in there she’d be walking right to it now. But she might not even want a note. I could tell her when I’m ready. A note is when you’re too afraid to admit it aloud. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell her when I’m ready.’ At this thought Kyo smiled at Tohru.

“Kyo-kun? Did something good happen to Kyo-kun? You’re smiling.” She said.

“Yea. Something good did happen.” He answered. Tohru didn’t ask him what thinking that it would be too forward of herself. They walked the rest of the way to the locker room lightly chatting. Yuki had a student council meeting and Tohru had the day off so it would just be Tohru and Kyo.

“Oh,” Tohru said trying to cover up a small white square.

“What?” Kyo asked. Luckily he was much taller than her and could easily see over her should that she was clutching a small piece of folded paper with a heart on it.

“What the-!” Kyo shouted. There were some other students that looked at the two questioningly. Kyo gave them a death glare and they immediately turned around and finished what they were doing.

“Who’s it from?” Kyo asked with a hint of anger in his tone. ‘Who would possibly give her a love note?’ Kyo thought. Then it hit him. ‘THAT DAMN RAT!’ He shouted in his head.

“It doesn’t say.” Tohru said in a small voice. “Maybe we should head home.” There was a blush slowly spreading across her face. Tohru quietly closed her locker and went outside. In much contrast Kyo slammed his locker shut and stormed outside following Tohru.

Tohru was already past the school grounds when Kyo stepped outside. This was routine for them. Tohru would walk ahead of Yuki and Kyo enough to cover suspicion. Once they were a few blocks away from the school Yuki and Kyo would catch up with Tohru and they would walk the rest of the way together. Today Kyo waited until he was 100 meters away from the school to catch up with Tohru.

“Are you going to do it?” He asked once he caught up with Tohru.

“Do what?” Tohru asked innocently.

“Go out with him!” He yelled.

“Who?” Tohru asked.

“You didn’t even read it!” Kyo shouted with an ever growing anger scale behind him.

“No… Tohru looked down at her feet, “I was going to read it once we got to Shigure-san’s house.” She stated. She felt very embarrassed that she would receive a note like this. She never even thought of anybody liking her. She was so plain. No one could ever like. “Besides it’s probably for someone else. Who ever wrote it might have gotten the wrong locker. I was going to look to see who it was for, and then I could give it to them without reading it.” Tohru said smiling.

“Yea. And what if it is for you? What are you going to do?” Kyo asked.

“Um…I don’t know…But it’s probably not for me anyway.” At this Tohru started walking and Kyo walked silently beside her.

He was overflowing with curiosity as to who might have written the note. He decided to start with guys in their class and the go to guys in their year. He mentally flicked through all the guys in their class and was about to start on class 3-C when he realized they were at Shigure’s house.

“We’re home.” Tohru called out as she slipped off her shoes ad entered the house.

“Ah! Hello! How was school? Did Tohru get a love letter in her locker today?” Shigure questioned.

Tohru and Kyo froze in shock.

“It was you! You PERVERT!” Kyo ran over to Shigure and grabbed him by the lapels and was about to strike when he spoke.

“No no! I didn’t do anything! I just asked!” Shigure quickly said. He didn’t feel like being beaten to pulp that day. Kyo slowly released him.

“So our precious flower got a love letter. What did it say? More importantly who was it from?” Shigure asked looking at Kyo’s reaction.

“Um…I haven’t read it yet…Though it’s probably not for me anyway.” Tohru stated.

“Ah. But who wouldn’t love a cute face like yours?” Shigure asked.

“Oh no! That’s not true! I’m not cute--!” Tohru was cut off as Kyo had punched Shigure sending him flying across the room.

 

“Shi-Shigu-re-san” Tohru stuttered.

“Hentai inu.” Kyo muttered as he went outside to sit on the roof.

“Um…” Tohru was looking back and forth from Shigure to the door.

“Don’t mind him. He’s probably sulking because his precious Tohru is going to be taken away from him by another.”

“Eh? No, maybe he had a bad day is all.” Tohru went upstairs to change.

‘I don’t know how she doesn’t see it. Perhaps it’s for the best.’ Shigure thought to himself.

Once she was in her room, Tohru changed her clothes and took out the note.

‘Nobody would write to me. I’m too plain. I’ll just take a look at the name and then give it to the right person.’ She unfolded the note ad scanned the paper for a name. She didn’t have to look far because it was on the first line. It read: Tohru-chan. She sat still in shock. Somebody did write to me. Who would see me as anything special?!’ A blush quickly spread across her face. She continued to read.

Tohru-chan,

Ever since 1st year I’ve felt this way. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you verbally. I love you. I’m sorry I didn’t put my name. If you think you would like to go out with me, meet me by the chestnut tree at school. I’ll be there.

See you

Tohru put it down. She couldn’t get over the fact that someone truly loved her. It was addressed to her so she couldn’t say it was for someone else. What had she done? What did she do to make someone like her? She smiled. It felt good to know somebody liked you. She felt light and happy. She decided that she would go to meet this person. She couldn’t not go! That would be rude! She headed downstairs with a smile on a feeling in her heart.

* * * * * * * *