Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Note ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2

She was nervous. She kept looking at the clock every 5 minutes. She was shocked that she was nervous. She’d never been nervous about meeting someone before. Although she had never gone to meet a boy in a situation like this before. She looked at the clock again. 15 minutes until school let out. She looked back at the worksheet she was supposed to be doing. She attempted the problems but only got 3 down when she looked back at the clock. 10 minutes to go.

‘Why is time going so slow today?’ She thought. She couldn’t keep her nerves down. She told her two friends about the note and the first thing they said was, “Which one gave it to you? Yuki or Kyo?” At that Tohru went into overdrive. Babbling about how it neither one wrote the note, that the note wasn’t signed and that she was going to meet the person by the chestnut tree after school. Uo went all defensive and offered to go with her to make sure he didn’t hurt her or do anything to her. Hana didn’t say anything but you could tell that she searching surrounding waves of love for Tohru. Tohru politely declined Uo’s offer and assured them she would be fine.

She looked up at the clock. 1 minute to go! Her nerves completely overtook her now. She was going to meet a guy to see if she loved him! She’d never loved anybody except her family! She didn’t even know if she wanted to fall in love! All her future thoughts were of her finishing high school, getting a job, and supporting herself. She wasn’t even sure if she was going to university. She didn’t have grades like Yuki or Kyo and she didn’t have any talents to earn her a scholarship. She was so useless so she wouldn’t even be able to pay for it…

Tohru jumped at hearing the bell ring. She picked up her things and headed out the door to the shoe locker room. Her heart was pounding as she opened her locker and put her school shoes in. ‘What do I say? What if he realizes he doesn’t like me? Oh mom! What should I do? She thought to herself.

‘“Just be yourself. You’ll be fine.”’ These old words her mother used to say flashed through her mind. ‘Yes. I’ll just be polite and kind. If he doesn’t like me, that’s okay!’ With this in mind Tohru put on a determined face and went outside.

Kyo and Yuki watched her go outside. Kyo slammed his locker shut and ran out of the room. Yuki quietly closed his locker and exited the room. He walked down the hall way and slipped into an empty classroom without being seen. He looked out the window and saw Tohru walk over to the chestnut tree on the lawn. He tried to see who the person was but couldn’t see through the leaves. ‘Why couldn’t it have been winter?’ He thought.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo slammed his locker shut and ran out of the room. He didn’t care if other people saw him. He needed to make sure Tohru would be okay. He sprinted up the stairs and threw open the door to the roof and climbed up the ladder to his usual perch. He hid behind an air vent and looked down. He saw Tohru walk over to the tree. Unfortunately from his position leaves were blocking the person under the tree. All he could see was a dark figure.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru started to slow dawn her pace. She was so nervous she could have sworn she saw her school bag shake in her death grip. She was so scared. She’d never been this scared to meet somebody. She was a few meters away from the tree but a very low branch was blocking the person’s head. She edged closer and craned her head to see the boy’s hair. She saw white…

“Hello Honda-san.”

“Hatsuharu-san?” She blinked, unable to comprehend what this meant.

“You wrote the note?” She asked. A blush slowly started to spread across her face as she realized what these meant. Hatsuharu-san loved her?!

“No. I saw Yuki looked a little down and found out why. I knew he wouldn’t come here with you to meet this guy so I’m here.” He coolly explained.

“Oh…um, thank you for worrying about me but you didn’t need to come here.” Tohru was about to start babbling on about how nice the Sohma’s were when Hatsuharu spoke.

“I had to keep the Princess safe for the Prince.” Tohru stopped and looked him.

“Oh,” She didn’t understand what this meant but she felt it was something important.

* * * * * * * *

“Who is that?” Yuki quietly said. His heart lifted when he saw some of the leaves lift because of a breeze. He saw the person’s chin. Another breeze blew the leaves even more. He saw the person was speaking…

“Yuki!”

Yuki spun around to see who had entered the room. He didn’t even realize the door had opened, but there was a whole mass of girls at the door. Motoko Minagawa was at the front.

“Um.”

“What are you doing here?” One of the girls behind Motoko spoke up.

“Un…” Yuki couldn’t think of anything, He couldn’t say he was keeping an eye on Tohru to make sure she was alright.

“Obviously he was looking at the flowers that the gardening club had planted. After all Yuki-kun does like Rhododendrons.” Motoko answered for him.

“Yes.” Yuki said then he stopped, “How did you know I liked Rhododendrons?” He asked.

“Well…” Motoko searched for an answer. She couldn’t say she had been through his locker.

“Never mind I have to get to a student counsel meeting.” He said hurriedly. The girls parted for him, much to his relief, and he walked out.

‘Sorry Honda-san.’ He wasn’t able to see if she might have been in trouble.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru and Hatsuharu stood there for awhile but he never showed up.

“Oh…I guess he couldn’t make it.” Tohru was both relieved and disappointed. She was nervous for no reason and she never got to meet her secret admirer.

“I can’t believe it. You got stood up.” Hatsuharu stated.

“I’m sure he had something else to do.” Tohru smiled.

“Hm.”

“Well I’d better head home. See you tomorrow Hatsuharu-san. And thank you for staying with me.” Tohru waved good bye and started to walk away.

“I can’t believe someone would stand her up.” Hatsuharu said to himself and walked away.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo stood there stunned. He saw Tohru walk away from the tree but then he saw the guy she was with walk away. Haru.

“Haru? … Haru!” Kyo yelled softly. He ran down the stairs and out the front doors of the school. Then he sprinted across the lawn. He was catching up with Tohru when somebody grabbed his torso.

“Kyo-kun!”

“What the-”He had expected to transform but didn’t. Then it hit him.

“Kagura!” He turned around. Sure enough the raven-haired girl was clinging to him.

“You almost forgot didn’t you? We go to Shi-san’s dojo today! Let’s go!”

“Wait…but-” Kyo tried to explain.

“Come on! Or do I have to drag you the whole way.” She then started dragging him by the neck to Shishou’s dojo.

* * * * * * * *

“I’m home.” Tohru called out as she took off her shoes.

“Ah. Hello. And who was our secret admirer?” Shigure inquired.

“Oh, um…he didn’t show up.” Tohru blushed.

“He stood you up?!” Shigure exclaimed.

“No! I’m sure he had something else to do! Something probably came up!” She tried to reassure. She walked into the kitchen to start making dinner.

“I can’t believe somebody would stand her up.” Shigure said flatly.

* * * * * * * *

Once the meeting was over, Yuki quickly left the room and walked outside. Once the school was a block away he sprinted to Shigure’s house. He had to know who the note was from. When he got to the front gate he walked up to the door to catch his breath. He opened the door and took off his shoes.

“Oh! Hello Yuki-un was the meeting alright?” Tohru stuck her head out from the kitchen door.

“It was fine,” Yuki stated, “how was your meeting with your admirer?” Yuki asked. He didn’t want to seem like he was prying for the name.

“Oh, he didn’t show up,” Tohru said. “But I’m sure he had to do something more important so it’s completely fine!” Tohru rushed this in.

“That’s rude. To ask a girl to meet you and then you stand her up.” Yuki’s brow creased in agitation.

“It’s fine, really.” Tohru said. There was a long beep.

“Oh! Dinner!” Tohru ran back into the kitchen. Yuki smiled and went upstairs.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo sprinted home. He had gone to (was dragged to) Shishou’s dojo with Kagura and had done his daily training. He hoped it would be quick which was unusual. Usually he wanted to stay as long as possible to spend time with his foster father even though Kagura was there. Today he wished it would just end. He had important things to do. But he finally got out.

Once he got to the woods he started to walk to Shigure’s house. He didn’t want to seem suspicious that he was home pretty early. Walking would kill some time. Once he got to the front door he took off his shoes and entered.

“Hello Kyo-kun. Dinner is almost ready.” Tohru sang as she walked into the kitchen after putting some plates on the table.

“Who wrote the note?” Kyo got right to the point.

“It seems our precious flower was stood up!” Shigure came out of nowhere. “Luckily I was able to comfort her in her time of need.”

“What did you do?!” Kyo grabbed Shigure with glowing eyes.

“Ah ha…I kid, I kid. I didn’t do anything.” Shigure defended himself.

“Um…” Tohru didn’t know what to do. “It’s fine really. I was a bit nervous to meet him anyway. Not that I didn’t want to! It’s just that nobody has ever said they loved me. Except my mom. And I’m sure my Dad did too but-” Tohru ranted on.

“Okay, I get it.” Kyo stopped her before she ran out of breath. He went upstairs and into his room.

 

“Umm…” Tohru looked worryingly up the stairs. She’d noticed that it seemed that he was in a bad mood since yesterday.

“He’s fine. He’s just upset that somebody beat him to you.” Shigure explained.

“Eh? No! That can’t be it! I’m surprised the boy who wrote the note likes me, but I’m sure no one else does!” Tohru had gone into frantic mood. “Oh! Dinner is ready!” Tohru rushed into the kitchen and set the food on the table. Yuki and Shigure were at the table and Tohru served them and herself. She was afraid to eat thinking it would be rude without Kyo.

“He’s not going to come back down. You might as well eat without him.” Shigure said.

“Oh…okay.” Tohru started with the rice.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo was upstairs lying on his floor staring up at the ceiling. He was annoyed.

‘Who wrote the note? Whoever it is going to pay for standing up Tohru.’ Kyo frowned in thought. ‘How could you stand up a girl like Tohru to begin with, or even any girl? They’d just start to cry. I can’t stand girls crying. Not even Kagura. Girls aren’t supposed to cry. They’re supposed to laugh and smile.’ He stared at the ceiling. ’I always yell at her. I don’t mean to, I just end up doing it. What if she cries afterward? I always leave. I don’t know if she does! What if she does! I hate it when girls cry! And then that Rat is probably there to comfort her or something. Maybe he holds her. What if he got to Tohru first? That would really piss him off. That damn rat always was out doing him!’ Kyo rolled over onto his side and got up. He started to practice his training. Clearly thinking was only irritating him even more.

* * * * * * * *

This was longer than I expected. Sorry that it took me so long to upload this. *sweat drops* I just didn’t want to type, then I kept writing, then I didn’t know how to end the chapter, etc. Sorry if this ending sucks. I didn’t really write over Spring Break like I thought I would. Oh well. Now it’s done! Enjoy! Please review. If you want that is, you don’t have to… Ja ne!

Yasu-san