Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Note ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3

The next day Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo walked to school together with Tohru and Yuki talking and Kyo walking silently beside Tohru.

“Is something wrong Kyo-kun? You’re awfully quiet.” Tohru asked, worry in her eyes.

“It’s nothing. It’s going to rain soon.” Kyo stated actually happy for the rain to give him an excuse for being quiet.

“And a usual you’re being lazy and dragging through the day, worrying Honda-san.” Yuki said.

“IT’S BETTER THAN YOU!… YOu can’t …wake up…in the morning…”Kyo quickly lost his energy and was bent over panting.

“At least I can finish a sentence with out getting out of breath.” Yuki stated.

Kyo glared up at him. Tohru got in between them.

“Oh Kyo-kun, if you’re tired maybe you should stay home from school today.” She was worried he would tire out from school and transform.

“Forget it. I’m fine.” Kyo stated and started walking again.

“Oh, okay.” Tohru said hesitantly. She really wanted him to feel better and knew he should go home and rest but didn’t push him.

They got to school without incident and walked into the locker room. Kyo seemed to have lost even more energy once they got inside.

“Are sure it’s going to rain? I wanted to do some laundry today.” Tohru asked. Uo and Hana walked into the room.

“Yea it should start any minute.” Kyo said. As if on cue the 5 heard a crack of thunder and the dull thud of rain on the roof.

“Whoa! How’d you do that Kyon-kyon?” Uo asked staring at Kyo.

“Don’t call me Kyon-kyon!” Kyo shouted but not with much strength.

“What’s wrong with you! Usually you make the walls shake when you yell.” Uo asked.

“Oh, Kyo-kun doesn’t feel well on rainy days.” Tohru explained.

“Like a cat.” Tohru , Yuki, and Kyo flinched at that.

“I’ve observed your actions and reactions to different situations. He acts exactly like a cat.” Hana explained in her monotone.

“Observed?” Kyo sweatdroped. He didn’t like the thought of being an observation for wave-girl.

“Yea, you’re right. He’s sick on rainy days, lands like a cat when he jumps from a 2 story building, and his hair stands on end when he’s freaked out like a cat’s. Ha. I bet he even likes milk! I guess everybody can be compared to an animal in some way but Kyon and a cat. Ha!” Uo laughed.

“Shut up!” Kyo yelled and stormed out of the locker room.

“It sure is fun teasing him.” Uo said.

Tohru laughed nervously.

The 4 teens walked into the classroom and sat down.

* * * * * * * *

Towards the end of lunch period Tohru exited the classroom for a drink of water. She bent over the fountain and started to drink when she was tapped on the shoulder. She jerked upright and swung around. Unfortunately there was some water on the floor and Tohru slipped and fell, succeeding to hit her head on the fountain. She let out a cry of pain and clung to her head.

“Tohru-san!” A voice exclaimed with worry.

Tohru looked up and saw a tall boy with black hair.

“Are you alright?” He asked kneeling down beside her.

“Oh! Yes, it doesn’t hurt that much.” She lied. It was actually throbbing with pain but Tohru will be Tohru(wink).

“I’m sorry. I keep causing you pain. Literally.” He said.

“What do you mean?” Tohru asked. She had never met this boy before.

“That note you found in your locker…”He began.

Unfortunately the bell rang signaling the 1 minute before class would start right as he said that and Tohru couldn’t hear his words.

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” She got up and hurried back to class. She knew it was very rude to leave the boy, but she promised her mother that she would finish school, and being late wouldn’t help at all. Right when she walked into the classroom the bell rang. Tohru sighed with relief. She made it to class. Tohru sat down, the boy forgotten, and took out her notebook for the day’s notes.

* * * * * * * *

The boy sat there on the floor and watched her go. He sighed, ‘I’m never going to be able to tell her.’ He thought to himself. He got up and walked back to his class.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru rubbed her head unconsciously. Where she had hit her head still hurt.

“Is Honda-san alright?” Yuki asked.

“Oh yes. I just hit my head on the fountain when I got a drink of water.” Tohru explained.

“How’d you manage that?” Kyo asked.

“Well somebody tapped my shoulder and when I turned around I slipped on some water on the floor and hit my head.” Tohru rushed in.

“Who tapped you?” Uo asked.

“I don’t know. He asked if I was alright and started to say something but the bell rang and all I heard him say was something about a note.” Tohru said.

“Hey! Maybe he’s the secret admirer,” Uo said, “What’d he look like? He didn’t do anything to you, did he?”

“No! Of course not. He had black hair and was about as tall as Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun,” Tohru said, “But I don’t think he’s the one that would like me. He was probably talking about a different note or thought I was somebody else.”

“Did he say your name? Or someone else’s?” Kyo asked. He was hoping this boy wasn’t the secret admirer. He didn’t want or need anymore competition with Tohru.

“Actually he did call me ‘Honda-san’.” Tohru said.

“Then it’s him,” Uo stated. They arrived at the shoe locker room. “I wonder if he wrote you another note.”

“They all went to their separate lockers except Uo and Hana who gathered around Tohru’s locker. Yuki and Kyo didn’t want to look suspicious so they went to their own lockers.

Tohru opened her locker, but there was no note.

“Oh well.” Tohru smiled and switched shoes.

They all went their separate ways. Tohru had to work that day so she headed toward the building she cleaned. Uo and Hana walked towards their houses and Yuki and Kyo were forced to walk home together without Tohru.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru put on her school uniform and walked outside. She had gotten a lot done at work today and she was a little tired. She saw Yuki standing outside waiting for her, and walked over to him.

“Hello Yuki-kun.” She said as she walked towards him.

“Hello Honda-san.” He replied. They started walking to Shigure’s house.

Tohru was deep in thought about the note and the boy. Was the raven-haired boy truly the one who wrote the note? He did say something about note. And he did say Tohru’s name. But who was he? Tohru tried to remember if she knew his name but she couldn’t remember ever seeing him.

‘Honda-san?” Tohru looked up.

“Are you alright? You’re very quiet.” Yuki asked.

“Yes I’m fine. I’m sorry. I was just thinking about the boy at the drinking fountain. I’m not exactly sure if I’m ready to find out who he is.” Tohru admitted. She had been feeling that she wasn’t ready to meet her secret admirer.

“If you feel you aren’t ready to be in a relationship, you don’t have to feel the same this boy does.” Yuki said. Tohru smiled. She really didn’t want to sadden this boy but she wasn’t ready for what he wanted.

“Thank you. Yuki-kun always knows how to make me feel better.” Tohru said.

“They walked up to Shigure’s house and went inside.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo was struggling with himself. He had to tell Tohru how he felt. He had to before graduation came up and now he had to before this new guy beat him to her. He just couldn’t tell her though. He tried to gain up the courage but whenever she came near he couldn’t open himself up after years of practicing to close up his feelings and emotions. He wasn’t used to this kind of pressure. And it was eating him up to tell her but he knew she would never feel the same way.

Kyo looked down at his feet. They were walking to school, Tohru and him. Yuki had to leave early so he wasn’t with them. Tohru was right beside him, they were alone, and he still couldn’t tell her. ‘I’m such a loser.’ Kyo thought to himself. Tohru was talking next to him and he would nod occasionally when the time was right but he wasn’t actually listening to her. They got to school and switched shoes. A girl approached Tohru.

“Hey. You’re Tohru, right?” She asked.

“Yes.” Tohru said, wondering why this girl wanted her.

 

This guy told me to give you this note.”

* * * * * * * *