Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ With a Smile ❯ With a Smile ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Fruits Basket characters or any related plot spoilers.

Notes: Talking is represented by two quotes (“...”) while thoughts are indicated by single quotes (`...').

With a Smile

A young looking blonde boy skipped down the sidewalk, his large brown eyes cheerful as he headed towards Sohma House. As he caught sight of a beautiful blonde woman and her young daughter walking towards him something inside of him saddened. Not showing his unhappiness on his face or in his eyes he passed them with a quick bow and a “Hello ma'am.”

He watched as the pair rounded the corner, lost in thought. `I wish that I could be with them. Be accepted by mama for who I am, regardless of the Zodiac Curse.' Momiji smiled softly. `Maybe that's too much to wish for. At least I can watch them even if a part of me hurts when I think of how mama forgot about me... Because of that Momo, my little sister, will probably never know that I'm her older brother.'

`But maybe... someday... Momo will be strong enough to accept me for who I am, because mama couldn't, and until that day I'll have to be happy to watch over my family, keeping a smile on my face...' Momiji turned and continued along the sidewalk, changing his route and heading towards Shigure's place. There he was sure to be greeted with open arms; well at least by Tohru, Shigure, and, probably, Yuki. As the young boy walked hope pushed out his sadness for the moment, as he clung to the rope, Momo, trying to push aside all doubts. `She will be strong enough to accept who I am..'

He entered Shigure's house with his typical cheery smile and happy brown eyes. “Hiya, guys! I decided to stop by for a visit!”

Tohru slid open the door across from the entryway, greeting Momiji with a huge smile. “Hi, Momiji. Come on in. We're just about to have dinner.”

He smiled at Tohru and nodded as he exchanged his shoes for slippers and went to join everybody else. `I'll wait, Momo, until the day you'll be able to accept and love me even with the curse. Until then I'll stand on the side... watching you... with a smile.'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Author Notes: Well, there's that. The idea came to me at about midnight, so I wrote it all down and here it is! Please R&R! I want to know what you think of it.