Full Metal Panic Fan Fiction ❯ Christmas Panic ❯ chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11

Sousuke's head was still throbbing as the small passenger plane began its ascent into the air. Yesterday had been a day from hell. Kaname had pummeled him something fierce and then refused to talk to him the rest of the day. He was glad when the morning had finally arrived and they had said goodbye to the Weber manor. How had the trip taken such a turn for the worst? Kaname didn't understand his response to her gift at all. Every time he had tried to explain it to her, she had given him the cold shoulder. Even he could tell that she was somewhat hurt and feeling a little dejected.

The co-pilot came out of the cockpit shortly after they had reached full altitude. Waving at Sousuke, Kaname watched as the two conversed in hushed tones. She was still in a bad mood, to say the least, but it was now directed mainly at herself. She had been so cruel to Sousuke. It wasn't like he was a normal guy. How many gifts had a soldier like him ever received? He had no family and only a few friends, so maybe he wasn't used to reacting in a normal fashion to her gift. Besides, she had known what a silly idea it was anyway. That would teach her for listening to Kyoko. A photograph of her! Ha! That was a laugh. Sousuke would never want something like that inside his specialty arm slave. God! What had she been thinking?!

She turned her head from the conversing soldiers to stare out her window. She had liked the idea originally. Those old movies always showed pilots getting into their fighter jets with photos of their wives or girlfriends plastered to the instrument panel. She had no idea if real military men did that. Besides, it wasn't like she was Sousuke's girlfriend anyway. When Kyoko said that the men with the photo's always seemed to make it back from the worst battles, it had struck a note in Kaname's heart. How many times had she sat through class, unbearably aware of the empty desk behind her? How many times had she waited outside Sousuke's apartment for him to return to her? It scared her every time he went on a mission. So many horrible scenarios would race through her mind in the days that he was gone. She couldn't stand being alone. She hadn't lied when she had told him that she need him to return. She wasn't good at coming out and telling him her feelings. Always getting mad and flustered in the process. The last time she had almost told him that she loved him was in Hong Kong. The idiot had just stared at her then too, making her angry. Rather than professing her love, she had hit him.

She grimaced at those thoughts. Her eyes followed the details of the scenery outside the plane window. The land before her was speckled with little cities and vast countryside. It would be a long flight back to Tokyo. She would have plenty of time to reflect on her thoughts until the landed. Plenty of time to figure out what it was that she needed to tell Sousuke. Time to decide on how to deal with her own insecurities and issues. How was it that she could be class representative, student council vice president, a whispered, and deal with terrorists all with little to no effort, but she couldn't face her own feelings?

“Ugh! I'm so stupid!” She muttered quietly under her breath, still staring at the clouds that flitted by the window.

“Miss Chidori.” Sousuke asked, back in full military formality.

Kaname simply turned her head to acknowledge him, calmly waiting for what she had already expected to hear. The pilots only conversed with them like that when MITHRIL was involved. She had known something was up the moment that man had opened the cockpit door.

“Miss Chidori, our presence had been requested on Melida island. The Tuatha de Danaan and her crew are in port and the Captain has requested our presence. We will be landing on Melida Island shortly. I promise that it is a short detour before continuing on to Tokyo.” he calmly stated.

Sousuke was nervous about her reaction. Kaname had been in such a foul mood already, that he was sure this would push her back over the ledge. He couldn't refuse a direct order though, no matter how angry Kaname became. He was surprised when she simply nodded and turned her attention back to the window. His spirits sunk even more. Miss Chidori was obviously still mad at him and still not speaking to him. He had hoped to build some bridges in Germany, not fall even farther behind than he was originally in Tokyo. Why did everything he tried to do as a civilian blow up in his face? Was a contract killer like himself destined to only be able to fit into one world? Was he lying to himself when he thought that eventually he would be at ease in her world? He wasn't like Weber and Mao, he never had a normal childhood. All he had known was war and death. To say that he had no social skills probably wasn't enough to describe it. His world was based on weaponry, scientific explanations, text book drills, and strict military protocol. Hers was a world so foreign and strange to him. Even after all this time of trying to fit in, he was a fish out of water. His ignorance only seemed to put Kaname in a great deal of distress. He was always creating messes and she was always cleaning them up. No wonder she was always angry at him.


The Tuatha de Danaan eh?” She thought to herself, once again lost in the clouds surrounding them. She had figured as much. So it looked as though she would be getting to see Tessa. It wasn't as if she didn't like Tessa, in fact they were actually a great deal alike. That was probably the reason they butted heads so often. In fact, Kaname was a little envious of the tiny beauty that ruled the submarine. Tessa after all never had a problem figuring out what she wanted. Plus, once she had her targets set on something, she went for it. Kaname envied the fact that Tessa could speak so freely of her feelings for Sousuke. How could someone so clumsy and timid like Tessa be so bold? Maybe she should be asking herself how she could be so weak?

She sighed softly before shifting her weight in her chair and resting her head on the side of the wall. Now she was looking forward through the window, part of her view obscured by the wing of the plane. Her thoughts had come full circle and she was again thinking about her gift to Sousuke. Mentally kicking herself for being such an idiot. Sousuke was probably getting a good laugh at the gift. She would have been better off buying him a new gun or grenade. Still though, she remembered that photo she had found inside his coat when she had been taken hostage on the school trip by Gauron. It was a photo of his comrades, many of which had since fallen in battle. His keeping such a photo was a hint at his sentimentality. Surely he would treasure the scrapbook with all his adventures as a normal student. She had hoped for as much. Hoping that he would realize how much he meant to not only her, but all of their friends as well.

The Hong Kong incident had scared her. Sousuke was on the edge of a cliff, ready to launch off, without a single care to his own well being. He had looked so dangerous when she had spotted him through the smoke of the explosion. He had even been willing to sacrifice his own team mates. His eyes had a wildness in them that was so raw and restless. A caged animal preparing to make its escape. She never wanted to see him like that again. She had never told him that she had been so close when the explosion went off. Taking shelter behind some vehicles, she had spotted Sousuke when dust had began to clear. Watching as the other soldiers had confronted him, she had been unable to move. Unsure of what had caused his transformation, she had be powerless to do anything. It had taken her awhile to muster up the courage to march through the smoke and kick his ass out of that sorry state. Learning later about Gauron's deceptions of her own demise, her heart had broke. Sousuke had endured so much just because of his assignment to her. She needed to let him know that he meant so much to her. The scrapbook was filled with snap shots of their days at the beach, the arm slave fair, random school mishaps, the soccer club, and many shots of him and the rest of the gang simply hanging out. She wanted him to experience life, a life that he never had before. Most importantly, she wanted him to live.

Sousuke watched the whispered girl as she slowly began to fall asleep still staring blankly out the window. She had shifted awhile ago to rest her head on the wall. He drew a ragged breath as he noticed a single tear trail slowly down one cheek before her breath slowed and came at an even pace. Why was she crying? She had been so angry an hour before, now she was troubled? He turned his attention back to his own window. Thoughts returning to the past few days. Realizing that it was finally safe to do so since Kaname was sleeping, he pulled out the leather bound album he had carefully packed into his carry on bag. His fingers trailed slowly over the front before delicately opening it to the first page. He hadn't had a chance to go through it yet, Kaname had been to busy knocking him senseless yesterday.

He spent the next hourly inspecting the book, taking in all of the photos and detail of each page. Kaname had decorated the pages, not only with pictures, but little snips of ribbons, quotes and personal messages. Many of the other students that he was friends with had added little notes throughout the book. It was so personal and each photo brought back so many fond memories for him. It was easy for him to say that his time spent in Tokyo was the best time of his life. This was something he would treasure for the rest of his days. When he finally came to the last page, he was surprised to find his picture of his comrades. There was a note form both Weber and Mao scratched on the paper. Kaname must have gotten them to copy his picture when they were staying with him right before Christmas. Her thoughtfulness overwhelmed him. No one else, other than Weber and Mao, had known of his attachment to that photo. Closing the album he tucked it carefully back into his satchel. He turned his attention back to the window. His hand reached up to go under his shirt to a inside pocket, pulling out the small photo of Kaname. Unknown to her, this was now his most treasured possession. It had meant a great deal that she had payed someone to create this portrait especially for him. He was going to have a copy made so that he could do as she asked and put one in AL. However, this photo would remain on his persons at all times. His angel of deliverance would always be with him to save him from his darkest times. She would shelter him from the storm and protect him from his own devices. Even if she never knew it, this was the greatest gift he could ever get.


Kaname awoke with a nasty kink in her neck. The pilot had came over the speaker system to tell them they were approaching Melida island. One quick look out the window confirmed his statement, for crystal clear water glistened in the sunlight below her. Soon they were beginning their decent to the military strong hold.

Tessa and Commander Kalinin were there to greet the two as they found their way off the plane. They did not have to worry about their luggage as they would be boarding the same plane later on to return to Tokyo. The plane was quickly enveloped by fueling trucks and mechanics, to prepare for another flight. Tessa was the first to make her way to the pair.

“Kaname, Sgt Sagara! It's so good to see you! Merry Christmas!” Tessa embraced the other whispered girl before grabbing her by the arm and walking towards the main administrative building. “I'm so sorry for interrupting your trip, Kaname. We have done some upgrades to Sgt Sagara's AI and we want to brief him on them. I thought it would be easier for him to swing by rather than making another special trip once you returned to Tokyo. I promise you that you will be back on the plane in a few hours. No missions this time Kaname, just some minor intelligence issues.”

“Sgt Sagara.” Tessa turned to address her subordinate.

“Yes Ma'am” Sousuke replied, saluting his commanding officer.

“You will accompany Commander Kalinin to Hanger B12. He will brief you on the updates.”

“Yes Ma'am”

“Kaname will accompany me for tea!” Tessa smiled at her friend that was still attached to her arm.

“Yes Ma' am” Sousuke was still bewildered by Kaname's strange behavior. But, there was work to be done and he was quick to follow Kalinin's lead to the hanger.

Tessa carefully poured the tea once they were both comfortably seated in her suite. Kaname still looked tired from her flight and she hoped that the warm liquid would help sooth the girl.

“So Kaname, how was the weekend?” Tessa could not hide the jealousy in her voice. She had dreamed about what it would have been like if Sousuke had asked her, ever since Melissa had told her about the groups plans for the holiday.

“Oh.....um..... it was nice.” Kaname winced as the hot liquid burned her tongue slightly.

“What did you all do?” Tessa couldn't help but pry. She so seldom was allowed such liberties. Her duty was to her crew first and foremost. She could not afford such luxuries as living like a normal teenage girl. She had soon found it exciting to live a little through Kaname's stories.

Kaname sighed before placing her cup on the plate, and slowly began telling Tessa about the trip. She was careful to leave out much of the juicy points, not wanting to wage a battle with the girl before her. Well aware of Tessa's affections for Sousuke, she did not wish to rub anything in her face. Tessa had been so good to her as of late, somewhat accepting of the facts behind Sousuke and Kaname's relationship. Even though Kaname was uncertain of what that relationship really entailed. She stopped at certain parts to show Tessa pictures of the manor and Christmas decorations.

Tessa was giddy after the chat, enjoying the company of another girl the same age as her. Despite the tension that was often between the two, today's visit had been pleasurable. Maybe it was the holiday season, but Kaname seemed a little calmer than normal. She had known that Kaname had been holding some stories back, but she could assume the reasoning and for a change she was glad that the experience wouldn't be tainted by a small cat fight between them. Tessa knew that short visits like this would be far better for their friendship. Longer visits seemed to allow for increased tension between them. Looking at the clock, she was saddened to see that it was nearing the end of Kaname's visit.


Kalinin was a little puzzled by Sousuke's request to stop at the hangers office before proceeding to the arm slave. Sousuke had requested use of the office copy machine and photo printer. A few moments later, he had returned and they had continued on through the hanger. A few hours had passed and Sousuke was sitted in Arbalest going over the list of updates.

“So Sgt Sagara, is everything clear?” Kalinin asked.

“Yes Sir. Everything seems to be fine and all systems that were updated are functioning correctly.” Sagara replied, folding the pages back in place on the clipboard.

“Sgt Sagara!” Tessa called out, approaching with Kaname at her side.

Sagara'shead snapped up, searching out the pair, now walking on the scaffolding towards Commander Kalinin and himself. They were almost to them when a voice came over the speaker system in the hanger.

“Captain Testarrosa. Commander Mardukas is on line one. He says its urgent.”

“Dammit” Tessa cursed quietly. “Well, Kaname, I guess this is goodbye. I hope to see you soon. That goes for you too Sgt Sagara.” Blushing at the last statement, Tessa turned to head back down the metal sidewalk towards the administrative building.

“Sgt Sagara,” Kalinin's authoritative voice echoed slightly in the large building. “ I too have other duties to attend to. You can leave the paperwork at the office at the front.” He also turned to leave, quickly nodding respectively to the young girl who was standing close to Arbalest's massive shoulder.

Kaname watched the older gentleman as he disappeared down the walkway. Finally, she turned her attention back to the large arm slave before her.

“You know, I never get used to the size of these things.” Kaname voiced as her eyes slide over the glistening metal of the machine. “I find it hard to believe that you pilot this beast.”

“Beast eh? You hear that AL, Kaname thinks your a beast.” Sousuke offered his thoughts to the large machine that he was still inside.

“I am not a beast, rather an artificial intelligence equipped with state of the art weaponry.” the Arbalest offered up.

“Since when did you two get to be so chummy?” Kaname smirked at the machine and its pilot.

“I can not answer that.” the Arbalest replied.

“Alright AL, the last system scan is complete. Looks like all your updates are running fine. You can turn off all power sources now AL. I'll catch up with you later.” Sagara was gathering the paperwork scattered inside Arbalest's cockpit.

Kaname watched absentmindedly as Sousuke busied himself with the administrative detail of his job. However, a very colorful and small piece of paper caught her eye on the left instrument panel. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Her picture had been carefully tacked to the panel, offering an unrestrained view to the pilot.

“Sousuke!.....You......I......” she stuttered, her eyes still transfixed to the picture. She leaned in closer, carefully hanging onto the hand rail. Sure enough, it was her, although the picture didn't seem as clear as the one she had given him.

“Yes Miss Chidori?” Sousuke looked up, questioning her odd behavior He quickly realized the cause for her broken speech. “Oh right, I hope this copy will due. The office printer was not up to my standards. When I get back to Tokyo I will have a better one made and put that one in the Arbalest.”

“What about the original? I mean......you didn't have to Sousuke. It was a rather stupid idea.” She had leaned back and was now standing steadily on the hanging walkway. Her eyes downcast and shoulders slumped in defeat.

“I plan on keeping this one in a safe place.” He said, pulling the photo from the inside pocket of his shirt.

Was he humoring her? Perhaps he really did like the photo. She wasn't sure as she watched him finishing up with the Arbalest and crawl up to the railed walkway she was standing on. Without a word, he passed by her and headed in the direction of the hanger's office. She chanced one final look at the massive piece of equipment that she had seen in battle far too many times. Turning around finally, she took her leave from the Arbalest and followed in the direction Sousuke had went.

The remaining trip home was a quiet one, both opting for sleep as the plane jetted them through the now dark skies. Getting through the large airport in Tokyo had taken them awhile and it was now late at night as they hailed a cab to finish their journey. Souske had found the trip tiring and was only slightly aware of his wards quiet behavior. He assumed that most of it was due to jet lag, but he was still unsure of Kaname's demeanor. It just wasn't like her. Usually she was full of fire and chomping at the bit. Since yesterday she had been not at all like her usual self. He had done a few questionable things over the two days, not once had he been punished for his uncivilized like behavior. Kaname hadn't even been angry when they had stopped at the base. Perhaps she was sick? Had someone threatened her before they had left the manor? Was she still feeling the effects of her alcohol consumption? Something was wrong, but he couldn't place his finger on it. Once they were safely back home he would ask a favor from Kyoko. She may be able to enlighten him on the situation. Kyoko had become a staple for civilian intelligence for Sousuke, especially when it came to Kaname. Her calm nature and explanations made it easy for Sousuke to gather critical information on his surroundings and most importantly the moods of his mission objective. If it was female related, Kyoko could get to the bottom of it. He made a mental note to call her first thing in the morning.

The cab halted just outside the entrance to Kaname's apartment building. Sousuke was the first out, assisting the driver with unloading their luggage. A lethargic Kaname, stretched before sliding out of her seat on the opposite side of the car. Thanking the driver, she quickly grabbed her luggage before Sousuke could take it for her. He eyed her cautiously as he followed her to the door. She paused before entering, turning to address him one final time.

“Well, I guess were here. Thanks for the wonderful weekend Sousuke. I think I'm gonna head up right away. I guess I'll catch you at school.” She smiled tiredly before shifting the handle of her luggage from one hand to the other. “Thanks again Sousuke.”

“It's not a problem Miss Chidori.” Standing in military alertness, he fought the urge to follow her in.

“Good night Sousuke.” She offered before turning to head through the main doors.

“Good night.......Kaname.”


“Oooooohhhhh Kaname that sounds wonderful! Snow, sleigh bells, and a horse......how romantic!” Kyoko giggled over the phone.

Kaname was relaxing in bed, finally finished unpacking and was currently staring at her ceiling. She had slept for most of the day and had just finished cleaning up her evening meal when her phone had rang.

“Romantic. Ahh haa haa haa, oh Kyoko! Your funny. Sousuke blew up the Christmas tree! What an idiot!” Still unwilling to admit her feelings to even her closet friend, she was desperately trying to make her former comments seem insignificant. She had gotten carried away reminiscing about the weekend, and was worried that perhaps she had told Kyoko too much. She hadn't told her about the kisses, but what she had said may have left the bubbly girl guessing. Silently cursing herself she continued. “Not to mention the pervert walked in on me in the tub! What a jerk. He knew I was bathing!”

“Come on Kaname, despite a few faults and mishaps, you know that you enjoyed the weekend. I think it's sweet that Sousuke took you all they way there for Christmas. I think he really cares about you Kaname.”

Kyoko hadn't missed any of the underlying truths to Kaname's recollection of the weekend. She had heard the wistfulness in her voice. Something good had happened between the two of them, even if she was unwilling to talk about it. Kyoko knew how hard it was for Kaname to admit she had weaknesses. It was hard for her to express how she felt about others. Even their friendship was a little odd. For a bystander watching, they would think that Kaname was a huge jerk to her and that she was just tagging along, idolizing and humoring the beautiful class rep. That was far from the truth. Kaname might not be all sappy and fluff, but she cared about her close friends. After all, it had been Kaname who had come to Kyoko's defense when she had been picked on by those senior girls and boys. Kaname was a champion for the weak, having experienced the cruelty of school bullying herself. Kaname was tough and seemingly uncaring, but Kyoko had seen the child within. The vulnerable side to Kaname Chidori. Besides, even if it took awhile, Kaname would eventually get the courage up to confide in her. She always had before and this time would be no different.

Her first task, was to try and figure out what had happened after the bliss. Sousuke had called her early in the day requesting her to gather intelligence. He often wasn't much help in figuring out the background of the situation. He never understood girls, therefore hadn't the foggiest clue on where to begin. All she knew was that Kaname was upset. Sousuke had listed her symptoms and had offered up a few scenarios on his diagnosis. All of which were strange and unusual. Based on what he had told her, she had suspected that Kaname was a little depressed and maybe lacking the self confidence that she usually was over flowing with. What ever had happened in Germany would likely be the cause of it, not terrorists or threatening butlers like Sousuke had suggested.

“What did Sousuke think of his gift?” Kyoko offered up, not getting much of a response from her last statement.

“I'm not sure Kyoko. He didn't say anything but thank you when he got it.” Kaname scowled again, as she tossed a small stress relief ball up towards the ceiling. Watching it fall before catching it again, she repeated the action over and over.

“I kinda got mad at him and I..........Errr....I lost and refused to speak to him the rest of the time there.” She scowled again, angry at herself.

“You what? Kaname.......Sousuke isn't like normal guys. He probably didn't know how to react.”“ I know, I know, Kyoko......I've been mad at myself ever since. He made so much progress this weekend and then I go and ruin it by being stupid. Man........who's the real idiot!” This time the ball hit the ceiling before falling to the bed beside Kaname.

Bingo, Kaname was upset with herself, not Sousuke. Kyoko knew that he would be relived to know that he hadn't directly caused the distress Kaname was feeling. So the gift was the object of distension. Kyoko had known the gift was perfect, even if the two of them hadn't figured it out just yet. Kyoko suspected that Sousuke hadn't known what to say because he was likely speechless at the implication of the gift. She giggled slightly to herself before continuing.

“Kaname.....Did you go through the scrapbook with him?” she asked, eagerly awaiting the response. Knowing Kaname, she had probably blown up before they had even gotten that far. Sousuke would have for sure opened up once they started going through the book. Kyoko was sure that Kaname would have gotten the response she wanted if they had done as much.

“Well......no. I had already lost it by then. Do you think I should........well......that is. Do you think.... Ahh ha ha ha...What am I talking about!” Kaname was feeling rather stupid at the moment. She had forgotten all about the scrapbook. She didn't even know if Sousuke had looked through it himself. Maybe he had left it in Germany? She had no idea what she should do.

“Kaname! You didn't even look through it did you! How do you know what Sousuke thought of it if he didn't even look at it.” Kyoko was faking being distressed, trying hard not to laugh at the blubbering girl on the other end of the line. “Tomorrow after school, go back to his place and insist on looking at it.”

“You don't think I'll look stupid do you?” Kaname asked quietly, still flushed red in embarrassment at her rash actions at the Manor.

“No silly, it will be fine.” This time Kyoko did giggle. “Hey Kaname, are you too tired for some company? I would love to come over and see your pictures!”

“Yeah sure, we'll watch that movie that's still sitting here. Stop and get some snacks before you come.” Kaname sighed as she hung up the phone and headed out to the living room. She paused to stare out the balcony doors, noticing a little movement from inside Sousuke's apartment. No doubt he was finishing up reports to send to MITHRIL headquarters. Tomorrow after school, she would have to swallow her pride and finish what she had started.

A short while later, Kyoko was knocking on the door. The girls spent the rest of the evening looking at photos and chatting as they half watched an old movie. Kaname had already loaded her photos onto her computer, making it easy for Kyoko to scroll through them. Kaname had left to go to the bathroom and failed to notice Kyoko send off a quick email to herself. Kyoko smiled mischievously to herself as she closed down the program when Kaname came back into the room. Tomorrow, she would give the two scared love birds a surprise of her own.


“Wake up Kaname....ERRAH.....Wake up Kaname....ERRAH..... You're Gonna be late!”
The alarm clock sounded loudly in the small apartment. An arm reached out in confusion and began beating the desk beside the alarm clock. Finally it found its objective and with one whack to the chicken's head, shut the alarm off.

A very sleepy girl dragged off the covers and managed to upright herself to a sitting position. She reached her arms high above her head and stretched her lethargic muscles. Standing slowly she bounced between the walls, as she trudged her tired body towards the shower.

Sousuke waited patiently in the classroom for Kaname's arrival. Kyoko had contacted him late last night and informed him of his findings. He was relieved that it was nothing to serious. Kyoko had also expressed instructions on a delivery that was going to be made to his building. He was to pick up a package at the entrance to his apartment building before he retired to his room after school. It was from Kyoko himself, so he was not to blow it up under any circumstances. After agreeing Kyoko continued and had also informed him that she was spending the night and would be walking with Kaname to school. He in return had informed Wraith to watch Kaname on her way to school. He had taken care of some intelligence business with another operative before heading to school alone.

Finally, the two bubbly girls had arrived and seated themselves, oblivious to him as the chatted merrily to themselves. He was finally able to settle himself now that Kaname was safely within his eye sight once more. School dragged by, Kaname seemingly still preoccupied with her thoughts. He finally had caught he attention as they were heading off school property, finding they way home. She had just finished waving goodbye to Kyoko when she had shouted at him to catch his attention.

“Hey Sousuke....wait up!” Kaname shouted.

“Miss Chidori.” He nodded in acknowledgment.

No sooner had she reached his side when he heard a voice he would have sooner silenced than let approach.

“Kaname!” Tsubaki had yelled out. Fast approaching the object of his desire.

“Oh, ahh haa haa.....Hey Tsubaki.” she laughed nervously, not ready for his advancement after the holiday that she had just had. Looking back at Sousuke she was surprised to see his features harden and he took a protective step in front of her.

“Tsubaki, Miss Chidori is preoccupied at the moment. I suggest you come back at a later date.” His voice was as sharp and rugged as steel. Eyes fixed in dislike at the rival standing before him.

Kaname had seen these two fight before, but her intuition was telling her that something had changed. Sousuke's stance was more rigid than it normally was. His voice harder. He wasn't tolerating Tsubaki like he normally did. Kaname had known all along that Sousuke could beat Tsubaki in any fight with his hands tied behind his back. It was out of respect for her that he played along with Tsubaki. He knew that she would be upset if he hurt the other student. However, she was unsure that he wouldn't get carried away today. Had the weekend changed him? Was what had transpired between them caused his sudden over protectiveness? Sousuke was always getting carried away with her safety, but Tsubaki was no threat to her. She gasped a little when Sousuke reached behind him to push her close to him.

“Hey Sagara, maybe you should get your filthy mits off Kaname. I was just coming over to ask her out.” Tsubaki flashed a devilishly handsome smile at the last statement.

“Ask her out?” Sousuke questioned, not sure of his rivals attentions.

“Yeah Sagara, make her MY woman!” Tsubaki was now face to face with the Sergent, fuming at the others forwardness with Kaname. He didn't like the military maniac touching the girl he had desired for so long. “Why don't you step aside.”

“I'm afraid I can not do that!” Sousuke's voice had lowered to a deadly whisper. His eyes burned with a raging fury as he lifted them to meet the gaze of the hot headed ninja.

“Sousuke?” Kaname whispered, now somewhat fearful for Tsubaki's safety.

Her voice drew him back to reality. He shuddered slightly as he fought for control over his emotions. A few more seconds and he was positive that he would have torn Tsubaki limb from limb. He had promised himself that he would not let this man interfere between Kaname and him any longer. It was time to end this here and now. He would do so with out violence if possible, just for the sake of the girl who trembled behind him.

“Miss Chidori will no longer be available for your advancements. It would be most wise of you to let this matter go and continue on your way.” His voice was still laced with a brutal chill.

“What the hell does that mean. Don't you think Kaname should be the one to decide?” Tsubaki was fuming now.

“Miss Chidori has decided. Now if you would leave before this matter progresses past the point of no return.” He growled through his gritted teeth. To shed some light on the matter, he stepped sideways and placed his arm tightly around her waist drawing her up beside him.

Tsubaki and Kaname's jaws dropped at this bold movement. Tsubaki was stuttering and cursing profanity, while Kaname could only stare at the powerful man who held her to him.

“Sousuke.....I......” Kaname tried to reason with him, but one quick look from those steel gray eyes silenced those attempts. She knew he was not fooling around. She turned her attentions to Tsubaki instead.

“You had best leave.” She stated quietly but firmly.

“But Kaname.......I.....You.....I want you to go out with me!” Tsubaki was not about to back down.

“I'm flattered Tsubaki, but I can't. Like Sousuke said.......I've decided. I think its best if we remain friends.” She looked up into his eyes, slightly disheartened at the crushed look on his face. She had spoken the truth though. Tsubaki would only ever be a friend to her, nothing more.

Realizing that Kaname was not under duress, Tsubaki knew that the battle had been lost. Nodding politely he retreated, unwilling to hurt the beauty by continuing the fight. Kaname may have chosen someone else, but she would always be special to him. Besides, Sousuke was bound to screw up sometime and he would be there to help her through her time of need. He grinned at that thought as he headed off in the direction of the shop he worked at.

It had been an uncomfortable ride and walk home for Kaname. Sousuke was still on edge after Tsubaki's advancement. His arm had not left her waist the entire way home. He had guided her onto the train that way. Lifting his arm to drape her shoulder as they rode and then returning to her waist as they exited. He had looked radical, intensely searching the crowds, almost as if he expected Tsubaki to magically appear and steal her away. She had tried only once more to reason with him, but again those hard eyes had crashed down onto hers, intimidating her into silence. This was the warrior in him. He must be something fierce in battle. She had reckoned that his eyes were this deadly in battle too. It wasn't until they were safely in his apartment and the doors locked that he had relaxed. She had feared for the life of the attendant down stairs who had stopped Sousuke to give him a package. Sousuke had pulled a gun on him when he had whistled at her. She was almost certain that the man was probably changing his shorts at that very moment.

“Um...Sousuke?” She questioned cautiously, unsure if he was stable or not.

“Yes Miss Chidori?” he replied back as if oblivious to his recent behavior.

“Why did you bring me here?” She asked, normally he would had escorted her to her own door.

“Kyoko told me that you wanted to look through the scrapbook.” He mumbled as he walked to the kitchen, returning with two soda's for them.

“Did she now?” Kaname scowled slightly as she popped the top of her soda. That damn friend of hers was always sticking her nose where it didn't belong. Mind you, because of Kyoko, Kaname hadn't been forced to swallow her pride and make a scene trying to get in here. Maybe Kyoko had done her a favor.

Sousuke took a seat beside her on the couch and pulled up the photo album that had been sitting on the coffee table. He paused before opening it, finally aware of his need to tell Kaname his feelings about the album.

“This scrapbook must have taken you a great deal of time.” he started.

“You mean you looked through it?” She asked

“When you were sleeping on the plane.” He paused, searching her face before he continued. “I was surprised at the photos Kaname. They brought back many good memories. I especially want thank you for the last page.”
Kaname blushed at the mention of that page. She had known that it was important to him, that picture of his comrades. Now he was acknowledging her efforts.

“I also quite enjoyed all of the notes from yourself and the others. This book will be one of my few treasured belongings.” He made a mental note of every one of her blushes. He was always partial to those blushes. Apparently he was off to a good start.

“I had hoped that it would show you how much everyone enjoys having you here Sousuke.” Kaname whispered, quickly adding in a louder more perturbed tone. “Even though you like to blow things up and make yourself into an utter nuisance.”

He smiled at her attempt to hide her flustered feelings. Thorough study of the handbook Mao had given him plus Kyoko's encouragement had finally paid off. He was beginning to understand what her body language was saying. He noticed that it was speaking volumes that were the complete opposite of the words that usually came from her mouth. He was now kicking himself for not acquiring that handbook sooner. It could have saved him from many lumps on the head. He shifted closer to her, laying the book across both of their laps.

That's how they spent the next two hours. Cuddling while laughing and reminiscing about each and ever photo that had been loving placed in the album. Sousuke had somehow mustered up the courage to wrap an arm around her shoulder and was relishing the warmth of her against him. This was a feeling he could get used to.

Upon closing the album, Kaname was beside herself with relief. Sousuke had indeed enjoyed her gift. Now, as she was tucked safely under his arm, she noticed the package that he had picked up at the door. It suddenly reminded her of the poor man downstairs and the incident in the school yard.

“Sousuke? Why did you go so freaky at the school yard. You were kinda scary.” Kaname was bugging the military maniac, because she was now fairly sure of the reasoning behind it.


“Ummmm.” Sousuke was nervously fidgeting. How was he going to tell Kaname. He had almost lost it in the school yard, allowing his instinctive aggressiveness dominate his dealings with Tsubaki. He had felt like the fool would somehow try an attack the whole way home. He had even pulled a gun on the man downstairs when he had dared to whistle at Kaname. Somehow, the alpha male in him had emerged to make a claim on what was rightfully his. No other man would have her now. He was currently wishing that aggressive side had stayed. It would have been easier that way. Instead he was as nervous as could be and clueless as where to start.

“Well Sousuke? You practically drug me home and refused to let go the entire time. Plus, that poor man downstairs probably was scared half to death. Honestly, you have to stop pulling that damn gun out at everyone.” Kaname was pouting somewhat, a little angered at his rash behavior.

“Kaname. I'm.........I don't really know what came over me. I'm sorry.” He offered up the apology, hoping to appease her before her temper spiked.

“Just don't do it again.” She smiled before leaning her head back on his shoulder.

He smiled back at the girl who was now resting against him. He was about to speak, when her voice silenced him.

“What did you mean when you told Tsubaki that I had already decided and was unavailable?” Kaname prodded, wanting very much to hear what she had come to realize she was secretly hoping for.

“Ummmmm.....?” He was sweating now, having been put on the spot.

“Sousuke!!!!” Kaname let out a warning.

“Right.” Sousuke turned sideways on the couch, removing his arm from around her and sitting rigidly. He felt like he was being grilled by a commanding officer. Kaname was looking at him strangely waiting for him to continue.

“Miss Chidori....I mean Kaname. I was planning on asking you first, until Tsubaki burst in on us. You see Kaname, I am honorably requesting your permission to see you on a permanent basis. It is a most suitable compromise for the two of us that promises to be beneficial to you current situation as well as mine. Details can be worked out in a series of meetings if you have any input on the..” Sagara rambled on, to caught up in his words to notice the stunned look on Kaname's face.

“Sousuke...You really are weird.” She cut him off, trying to hold back the laugh at his questioning expression.

“Is that a no then Miss Chidori.” Sousuke was still in military stance. Although Kaname could see the hurt look on his face.

“Idiot!” She yelled, before launching herself into him, securely wrapping her arms around his neck.

Sousuke had been caught off guard by her actions. He had assumed that she had refused his offer. Now she was in his lap hugging him. He carefully reached around her to embrace her. The warmth of her body did wonders to reassure him of her real response.

“You could have just said..'Kaname, would you go out with me?' but that would have been too easy wouldn't it? She laughed as she snuggled closer to her new boyfriend.

“Affirmative.” he responded.

Kaname leaned back from his embrace, smiling shyly at the man who she had loved for so long. Finally they had moved forward in their relationship. She was excited to tell Kyoko the good news, plus she thought she would fill in the gaps from the holiday. Kyoko would love all the sizzling parts! She caught a glimpse of the package out of the corner of her eye again.

“Sousuke, are you going to open that package?” Kaname asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

“Affirmative.” He reached for the package, and began unwrapping it. Inside were two very large picture frames, the glass covered by brown packaging paper to protect the glass from scratching. On the top of the two frames was a note. He handed it to Kaname to read.

“It's from Kyoko?!?” Kaname gave Sousuke a quizzical look, only to have his shrug his shoulders in return. “She says that she hopes we catch a clue and that her gift to us this season is what's in the package.”

Kaname watched intensely as Sousuke removed the paper from the front of one of the frames. She gasped at what she saw. It was the photo of Sousuke and her in the sleigh. The one the driver had taken. They were snuggled in close, Sousuke's arm around her shoulders. Both were smiling happily and looked like they were completely in love. Kyoko had done some photo editing and changed the photo to black and white. It was perfect. A winter wonderland behind them contrasting with the black sleigh. She was shocked at how Kyoko had transformed the photo into a work of art. It was beautiful.

“Oh my!” Kaname was overcome with emotion. Kyoko was such a wonderful friend. This photo would mean so much to the both of them. She quickly brought her sleeve up to wipe her misty eyes. Sousuke was unwrapping the other photo, which was identical to the first. One for her and one for him it seemed. She smiled widely looking up at Sousuke, a lone tear slipping from her eye.

“What's wrong Kaname?” Sousuke was immediately worried.

“Nothings wrong Sousuke. This is just all too wonderful. I'm the luckiest girl alive!” She brought her sleeve up once more to catch the mist forming in her eyes. Indeed she was lucky. She had friends that cared about her, a good eduction behind her, and most importantly a wonderful man to love her. What more could she possibly need.


Kyoko had been sitting in her room, the phone perched beside her for almost an hour. She waited anxiously for Kaname's call. She had caught the incident at the school, and she was certain that it would only get better from there. If Kaname didn't call her soon she was going to explode. Finally the phone began to ring and Kyoko grabbed it before it even finished the first ring.

“Kaname!” She squealed.

“Oh Kyoko.....” Kaname whispered.
Kyoko could tell from the emotion in Kaname's voice that everything had gone according to plan. She was happy that her two friends had finally moved forward. As she listened to Kaname chatter happily about the kisses at the manor and the school incident, she knew that she didn't have to worry about the two any more. They had started a new chapter to both their lives. A chapter she was going to enjoy watching play out.