Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Evangelion ❯ Questions and Answers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-This is the second chapter of my FMA/Evangelion crossover.
 
NERV Brig
 
The brig was a windowless concrete room. On both sides of the room were benches that reach to the end of the room. On the right bench, Armstrong was sitting at the end, with Al sitting next to him. Next to Al was Ed who was clearly peeved about the situation he was in. Across from them on the left bench were Riza, Roy, and Hughes. Hughes was lying down on the bench at the end, while Riza and Roy were both sitting upright next to him. Roy had his arms crossed and his eyes closed. Also, they took away Riza's sidearm. Which of course, isn't a surprise since no one in their right mind would allow prisoners, well, at least potential harmful `guest' to have weapons. However, when they tried to get Al out of his armor, Al, with the help from the group, resisted. After much debate, Section 2 allowed Al to `stay' in his armor. Although they were ready if he were to become a threat with their armor piercing rounds.
 
After a long few hours of fuming, Ed couldn't take it anymore. “I'm tired of sitting here!” Ed shot up from his seat. “We should've never listened to that `Captain' out there! Now…” Ed raised his tone of voice as he approached the door. “We're trapped in here for who knows how long! And we're probably going to be experimented on by that crazed doctor woman!”
 
Roy peered at Ed for a moment. Then he shut his eyes again.
 
Ed was about to clasp his hands. “I'm breaking us out of here…”
 
“And do what?” Roy interrupted in a low, but strict tone. “Once you break out of here, are you going to face down an entire army of them?”
 
Ed gritted his teeth. He shot his head towards Roy. “Anything would be better then staying in here while they experiment on us! Maybe even turn us into chimeras!”
 
Roy grinned. He was quite amused by the little man coming to his hasty conclusion. “Do you really thing that they would turn us into chimeras? If you remembered the lovely Captain Misato Katsuragi's expression, she was completely shocked when you did alchemy. From what it appears, no one here has seen alchemy before.”
 
Riza frowned at Roy's one-track mind. `Lovely Captain Misato Katsuragi? Same old Colonel Mustang.' Riza internally groaned. However, other then that one line, Roy was making sense and she started to understand why Roy did what he did.
 
“It could be a trick!” Ed harshly replied. He refused to give ground to the Colonel. “And if it wasn't, that's even more reason why we shouldn't stay! Who knows what they have planned for alchemist!” He finally clasped his hands and was ready to get out of there. “We still need break out of here and…”
 
“And what Fullmetal?” Roy finally fully opened his eyes and turned his attention at Ed. “You haven't answered my question yet. You're going to take them all head on? Even if we all helped, it still probably wouldn't be enough to get past them. Not to mention the fact that we are deep underground! Even if by some miracle that we do get through their forces, how do you suppose that we get to the surface Fullmetal?”
 
Ed was staring to feel defeated. “Well, we could…”
 
“We could hijack that train.” Roy answered for him. “But that's supposing that we find it first. Do you know how large this facility is?” Roy sees Ed thinking back about how big this place really was. Especially since they were also trying to comprehend many of the unique inventions surrounding this place. Like that machine that followed them around that looked like an eye. As well as the light bulbs above them that appeared to run off of electricity. How was that possible? Without alchemy even? But that's an issue left for another time. Right now, it was about Ed's little rant about escaping that Roy believed was a very bad idea given their situation. Looking at Ed, Roy could see that Ed's determination to get out of there diminishing. However, just to be safe, he continued on with why his little escape plan was foolish in light of everything around them. “And even if we somehow find our way to the train station, are you sure that the train will even be there? And if by some miracle it is, and that we are able to operate that train and get to the surface, then what? Last time I checked, we still haven't figured where we are yet. And given the advancement of the cars here, not to mention those flying machines, even if this is our own world, it certainly isn't our time! We'd be a bunch of sorry fools wandering the streets of a nation that, due to us blowing up their secret military organization to even get to the surface your way, we'd the entire state and its military against us.”
 
Ed let his arms fall to the side. He finally sees the hopelessness of the situation.
 
Hughes thought about it for some time. “The Colonel has a point Ed. We're stuck in this situation ever since we decided to come along with Captain Katsuragi.”
 
“And even if we decided not to get into Captain Katsuragi's private car, what's to ensure our safety from that huge monster?” Armstrong added. While Armstrong, being a, big man himself, likes a challenge to show off his strength and ability, even he knows that he has limits. And that monster appeared to be one of them.
 
“Oh yeah.” Roy leans back, resting his head on the wall. “I forgot all about that.” He then eyed Ed. “Remember that huge monster Full…”
“Yeah yeah yeah!” Edward sat down next to Al. “You don't have to rub it in.”
 
Al wondered about that monster. He turned to the group. “Speaking of that monster, what happened to it?”
 
“Al, did you see what they did to it? They blew it up with whatever weapon that they had!” Ed answered with confidence. “It's as good as dead!”
 
“Maybe Edward Elric.” Armstrong spoke up. “But if that was the case, then what did Doctor Akagi mean when she said that she had to deal with the other issue?”
 
“Beats me!” Ed replied. “Maybe there was more then one monster. I mean you saw that explosion. There is no way that monster could've survived that!”
 
“Yeah. I guess you're right brother.” Al agreed. `It was a pretty big explosion. But then, what would be the reason to bring Shinji here if they could just use the same weapon over and over again against these monsters?'
 
After a few moments of silence, Riza turned her attention to Roy. “Well Colonel, I think I've finally see why you did what you just did.” She said with an understandable tone. “If we did do anything rash, we would've all been dead by now.” After listening to the conversation between Ed and Roy, she pretty much understood why Roy allowed them to be captured. She had to admit, in retrospect, if she did try anything, they wouldn't have gotten very far before they were all taken down. As good as they were, they couldn't take on a whole army either, especially in this foreign land. `Funny, usually I'm the levelheaded one here! Good thing Roy didn't allow us to do something stupid.'
 
Roy grinned. “That's correct Lieutenant Hawkeye. However, that wasn't my sole purpose in allowing us to be captured by them.”
 
Ed had his head down after his first little argument with Roy. Like Riza, he too had a pretty good understanding of what Roy was up too. That was, until he heard Roy's last statement. He shot his head up and turned to Roy. “What do mean?”
 
Roy turned to the group who were all now interested in what he had to say. “Well, it is quite clear that this world isn't our own, well, at least our own time. In fact, we're pretty lucky if you asked me. Of all the people to meet and impress in this world, was Captain Misato Katsuragi!”
 
Riza frowned. “Colonel…”
 
“I don't mean that Hawkeye.” Roy grinned. `At least, not completely.' “Of all the people to befriend, someone who not only belongs to the military, but also one that belongs to a secret organization within it was probably the best thing that could've happened to us during this unfortunate event.”
 
Armstrong had to agree to that. “And given the resources that this military apparently has…”
 
“They built this entire facility underground.” Hughes added. “That's got to mean something.”
 
“Exactly.” Roy continued. “If anyone has the resources to get us back, it's them.”
 
Al's eyes brighten. “If they do have the resources to get us back, then does that mean that they could make the Philosopher's Stone?”
 
“Maybe.” Roy replied. “After all, we're here due to a failed attempt to make the stone.”
 
“Hold on a minute!” Ed spoke up, stopping Roy in his tracks. “Let's not get ahead of ourselves! While we know that this military is capable of many things that don't means that they can get us back, much less make a Philosopher's Stone! After all, they haven't even seen alchemy! Right Colonel?”
 
“No. At least that's my guess.” Roy replied, though he still held a sense of confidence in his voice. “But then again, if they can't find a way for us to get back home, then no one can. I'd like to be a little optimistic Fullmetal.”
 
Hughes brought out his picture of Elysia. He looked at it with sadness in his eyes.
 
Al saw this. He wanted to comfort Hughes knowing full well how it felt to have a love one be absent in his life. Although it was the other way around for them, Al not having a father before his mother died, while Hughes was missing his wife and daughter, it still created a hole in someone's heart. Even if, hopefully in this case, the absence is temporary. “Don't worry Hughes, we're find a way back home! I'm certain of that!”
 
Hughes glanced at Al and smiled. “Thanks Al.” He then turned back to the picture of his daughter. “But I'm still going to miss her smiling face looking up at me!”
 
Ed listened in on Al and Hughes' conversation. He dropped his head. `We will all get back home! One way or the other.' However, he still had doubts over all of this. “Okay! I'll go along with this. But even if they can bring us back home, what do we have to give in return?”
 
“Thinking like an alchemist Ed?” Roy grinned. Although he understands where Ed was thinking, he himself wasn't overly concerned about it, at least not yet. “Well, like anything, can't get something without giving something in return. What that is, we'll just have to find out now do we?”
 
Ed frown deepened. He believed that all military was similar one way or the other. Especially when it concerns secret projects that this NERV organization obviously was. And then there's the issue about his brother. “And what about Al?”
 
Roy glanced at Al before turning his attention back to Ed. “We obviously can't keep him a secret. But how will they react and what they will do, I don't know. All I, and any of us can do, is prevent them from doing something horrible.”
 
Ed's eyes darkened. `I don't care what they do to me. But if they touch Al…'
 
NERV Command Center
 
“How is Shinji?” Misato asked with concern in her voice.
 
The battle was over. After what seemed like Shinji's inability to counter the Angel, which wasn't a surprise since he didn't have any prior training operating an Eva before, for the most part, being forced to pilot it (if not him, then an injured Rei Ayanami would pilot it. Shinji knew that he had to pilot it, if only for her sake), Shinji quickly recovered and fought like a mad man. He was able to turn the tide against the Angel, and was able to get through its AT Field. Shinji nearly destroyed it if it wasn't for the Angel's final suicidal move that left the Eva's armor damaged. Although there were questions on whether or not it was Shinji that actually fought it off (since all communications with the Eva stopped right before the Eva got back up and countered the Angel), at least the first Angel since Second Impact, third Angel in the grand scheme of things, was dead. The only question was the health of Shinji who, after communications was reestablished, screamed and fell unconscious inside the plug.
 
“Well, according to the recovery and medical team, he doesn't appear to be physically hurt.” Ritsuko gave a slightly worried response. “But, he is unconscious when they picked him up. He is under observation in the hospital for the time being.”
 
“Hmh.” Misato nodded as she thought about everything that happened since she got to NERV headquarters. “It's still not fair for Shinji to have to pilot it with no formal training of any kind.”
 
“World's not fair Misato.” Ritsuko added. “It wasn't like I wanted it to be like this. After all, only a few people can pilot an Eva. And unfortunately for Shinji, he was one of them.”
 
“I know that Ritsuko.” Misato replied. “But that still doesn't make it right.”
 
Ritsuko sighed. “Yeah well, can't really do much about it. The only thing Shinji could do was not pilot it. He does have a choice in the matter. I mean yes, it would've meant an injured Rei Ayanami would take his place, but he still had a choice.”
 
“Yes. I know.” Misato agreed. Although to her, even with that line of logic, it was really not a choice for Shinji. After all, only a truly cold and heartless person would allow an injured Rei Ayanami to pilot Unit 01 in his place.
 
“Well, all we can do is wait with Shinji.” Ritsuko sat down at her chair. She watches as her friend nodded in silence. Ritsuko then turned to her computer monitor, which had a video of the strange people in the brig. “Now, on to the other matter Misato…”
 
“Oh yeah.” Misato was a little glad about the change in subject. At the moment, she can't do much for Shinji. Now, she can have her mind set on to the little matter of her new guest. “Like I said, once you see their abilities, you will be impressed!”
 
Ritsuko was still skeptical of course. Although she was sure that Misato wasn't dumb enough to just bring in people off the street, she still needed more then just Misato's word for it. “Okay. I'll see if they are worth my attention. By the way, where did you find them?”
 
“They were all standing next to Shinji when I arrived.” Misato replied.
 
Ritsuko frowned. “Well, can't say much about their intelligence. After all, they should've all been in the shelter.”
 
“I thought so too.” Misato added. “But given that they appeared to be out of place, maybe they didn't know where they were.”
 
“True. The odd clothing gave that away. Not to mention that one guy in armor. But if they didn't know where the shelter was, they could've just asked. After all, while they all appeared to be foreigners, they also all appeared to be able to speak Japanese pretty well.” Ritsuko reasoned. “I mean it wasn't like the State of Emergency occurred minutes before the Angel came to shore.”
 
“Yeah.” Misato agreed with that statement. However, something about their reaction, when she first saw them, does seem to suggest that, maybe they did come out of nowhere. “Well, I have no idea why they were there in the middle of the evacuated zone. But I do know that the shrimp in the red jacket did something amazing! If it wasn't for him changing the falling concrete and destroyed fighters into flower pedals, we'd all be dead by now!”
 
“Flower pedals you say?” Ritsuko raised an eyebrow. While she had no reason to believe that Misato would make up such a story, it was difficult to take this story at face value either. “Well, let's just see if you're right.” Ritsuko turned to Makoto Hyuga. “Hyuga! Get me a satellite feed of the Chubu and Kanto region before the Angel came to shore.”
 
“Yes!” Makoto did just that. He typed in a few commands, and up on the screen, was a satellite picture of Tokyo 3.
 
“Now, zoom in that area!” Ritsuko indicted the area where Shinji was supposed to meet Misato. As they zoomed into that area, they could see an overhead shot of Shinji on the payphone. However, missing from the scene was the group that Misato picked. “That's odd…”
 
“They're not there.” Misato added, noticing the same thing.
 
Ritsuko was starting to get intrigued. However, it could've simply meant that they were in one of the nearby buildings. `Misato said she met the group standing next to Shinji. The only place they could've came from was from one of the nearby buildings.' “Let's go forward with the pictures, one minute at a time.”
 
“Yes.” Makoto typed in a few commands. Soon, each picture started appearing. Each image represented a change of one minute. After a few of the pictures passed, a bright light appeared next to Shinji. Before Ritsuko could fully react, the picture changed again and the group was all standing next to Shinji.
 
“Stop it right here!” Ritsuko eyes widened. “Well this is interesting! Go back a minute, and change the time difference to seconds.”
 
Makoto complied and the images were soon changed the time difference of the images to seconds. Each one showed the light first appear, then gets dimmer and dimmer. Finally, standing in the middle of where the light was, was the group of people that were now currently being held in the brig.
 
Misato was also amazed. “That explains why they were there! And we haven't even gotten to the good part yet!”
 
“Well Misato, you do have me intrigued about these people now.” Ritsuko nodded. “Now you have me curious about their origins and why they are here. However, I still need to verify that they could turn concrete and metal into flower pedals.”
 
“Actually just the shrimp.” Misato corrected. “But again, I'm sure the others have special abilities as well. Just that, they haven't used them in the short amount of time I was with them.”
 
“Very well. Let's see this shrimp in action then.” Ritsuko ordered Makoto to continue cycling through pictures. Suddenly, they come across one picture where debris was falling from the damaged buildings nearby and the destroyed UN fighters. As the next set of images went by, it appeared that one of the figures, the one in the red jacket, was on the ground as electricity flowed through the area. Ritsuko's eyes widened until she ordered Makoto to stop on the picture where they were all trying to cram into Misato's car with the Angel literally inches away from them. It was an amazing set of pictures for Ritsuko. “I almost feel sorry for your car Misato. Having all those people crammed into it, including a guy in full armor probably didn't do wonders for the back suspension.”
 
Misato smiled. “Yeah well, that's another thing about shorty over there! Not only did he save us from the debris, he also repaired my car! Not even a single scratch from the debris or the N-2 blast! He has one heck of a talent!”
 
“Even repaired your car?” Ritsuko grinned. “Then I definitely have to study him! I'm glad you did something right for once Misato!”
 
Misato frowned. “Excuse me! But I also…”
 
“Save it. I was just joking...” Ritsuko giggled a bit. “Although about those `flower pedals' that you talked about…since when are flower pedals shiny?”
 
“Huh?” Misato looked back on the screen. Although they were extremely tiny even at maximum zoom from the satellite photo, she could see that they were quite reflective. “Must've been made from the metal.”
 
“I guess so.” Ritsuko said as she took out a clipboard. “And the concrete…seemed to have been turned to dust.”
 
“Yeah.” Misato noticed the area looked a little dirtier then before. She didn't notice it at the time since she was too much in awe by what Edward Elric did. That and the need to get out of there as quickly as she could filled her mind then as well. “But that's still an amazing feat!”
 
“Exactly!” Ritsuko replied. “You're telling me he turned large concrete boulders into dust and metal wreckage into metal flower pedals. We definitely have to talk to them about this!” Ritsuko started to walk out of the Command Center. “I'm going to pay them a visit. Let's see if they have any answers for us.”
 
“I'm going with you!” Misato followed Ritsuko out. “I also want to know how he did it!”
 
As Misato strolled down the hallway with Ritsuko, she suddenly remembered another issue that they had to deal with. “Um, Ritsuko, does the Commander…”
 
“Probably. At least, he knows that you brought civilians here.” Ritsuko replied to her concerned friend. “I mean it is kind of difficult to hide it from him. Especially when I had to get clearance, and bother Section 2 about it. But don't worry Misato. If they are as great as they say they are, I'm sure the Commander wouldn't mind having them here.”
 
“Yeah…” Though Misato wasn't really concerned about her safety concerning the commander. She was more concerned about her new guest. `What will the commander do when he finds out about their powers?' While she was excited to be `showing off' this group and their powers, she also didn't want them to get involve in something that that could hurt them. `Shinji pretty much had no choice whether or not he should join. Especially since he was the commander's son. But what's going to happen when he finds out about this group? I don't want to involve them in anything that could put their lives in danger.'
 
Ritsuko however, was thinking about something else. `I wonder if their power is of any use? Especially since at the moment, the only one I know of that has said powers is the short guy in the red jacket. Wonder where the others in the group stand?'
 
NERV Brig
 
Ritsuko entered the corridor to the brig that the foreign group was being held in, she noticed heavily armed Section 2 guard standing right outside it. Each one was carrying machine guns containing armor piercing rounds. Ritsuko frowned. “Let me guess, the armor guy refused to take off his armor?”
 
The first guard nodded. “No matter what we say, he refuses to remove that armor. And every time we go in to forcibly remove his armor by ourselves, the others stand in his way.”
 
Ritsuko rubbed her chin about this new revelation. “What could that guy be hiding?” She turned to Misato who was standing next to her also with a bewildered expression. “Misato, did they tell you why he's in that armor?”
 
Misato lightly nodded. “Yeah, but, I think their answer was bullshit. They said that he's in there because he has some skin disease.”
 
Ritsuko's face also gave a questioning look. “Skin disease? Well, it's possible I guess. Though I agree with you that their answer was probably bullshit. I'll see what's up.” See approached the door to their brig. “Open it.”
 
“But ma'am…” The first guard tried to stop her.
 
“If my life was ever in danger, well, that's what you're here for right?” Ritsuko looked at the guard with a stern gaze.
 
The guard backed down a bit and nodded. He ordered his guards to be ready if any of them made a threatening move. They certainly don't want to be the one to lose one of the most important NERV personnel here. The first guard unlocked the brig's door and opened it.
 
Inside NERV Brig
 
Inside the brig, all members of the group got up from their position and stared at the opening door. They were all stood up and tried to look as non-threatening as possible. As the door swung open, they see the doctor woman enter first, carrying a clipboard with a sheet of paper on it, and a pen in one hand. A full squad of guards stood outside aiming all their weapons at them, specifically at Al. While Ed wasn't going to let any of them touch Al, and was ready to spring forward at the first chance he gets, Roy held him back.
 
“Let me reintroduce myself. I am Doctor Ritsuko Akagi. I am in charge of development here at NERV. Anything more is classified.” After her reintroduction, she coughed before continuing. “Now I'm sorry about the guards behind me.” Ritsuko indicated the company behind her. “But they are quite necessary given that we are not sure about your armored friend there.”
 
Roy looked at her wearing more normal clothing then she did yesterday where she was only wearing a jacket over a swimsuit. He was a little disappointed in that, but he couldn't let on to his feelings on that. After all, they are in a very serious situation here. “I understand.” Roy stood upright. “Al's a special case. We…”
 
“I'll talk to you later.” Ritsuko walked past Roy and went straight to Al. Al's eyes widen as his fear that his secret would be exposed became substantial. He took a scared step back as Ritsuko came near him. As she did this, the guards behind her all raised their guns. A bunch of red dots all appeared on Al. “I do have a lot of questions for every one of you. However, our concern at the moment is this one…”
 
Ed watched as the red dots all appeared on Al. He was pretty agitated. “What are those red dots? They better not be hurting Al!”
 
Misato then got her way through the door and pushed her way till she was standing shoulder to shoulder next to the group of Section 2 guards (it wasn't exactly wise to say, stand in front of them at this moment now is it?). “Don't worry shr…” Misato stopped herself. She say him lose his temper, and given his special ability, she didn't exactly want him to be shot down due to him not accepting the fact that he was `height challenged'. “Ummm…Edward right? Those red dots are just an aiming guild. Completely harmless.”
 
“That's right.” Ritsuko reassured the easily offended youth. “However, if he does do anything threatening, the rounds in their weapons would make your…”
 
“Younger brother.” Misato added.
 
“Younger brother?” Ritsuko's eyes widen as she looked Al, then to Ed. “You're kidding right?”
 
“Um…” Al scratched the back of his armored head. “It's a…long story.”
 
Ed frowned since it was an, indirect reference to his height. However, he found himself at a lose of words as it was becoming clear that Al's secret was going to be exposed, and there appeared to be no way out of this. “Uh…well…”
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “Whatever. Anyways, those rounds would turn your `younger brother' into Swiss cheese.”
 
Ed was even more scared them before. “But would they just rico…”
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “I guess you haven't heard of armor piercing bullets have you?”
 
Ed's eyes widened. “No…”
 
“Armor piercing bullets?” Riza was a little stunned. She was also, she hated to admit, a little excited. “There are such things?”
 
“Yup!” Misato smiled. “Though these particular bullets can't stop a tank of course, but they should be able to go through Kevlar and certainly this knight suit!”
 
Riza wasn't sure what this `Kevlar' thing Misato talked about was, but the idea that bullets could penetrate even a tough armor excited her. However, as she looked back at Al, it also scared her. `If they shoot one round into him, it wouldn't kill him, but it would expose his secret.' She then looked at Roy. `Then again, I guess there's no point in keeping it a secret now isn't there?'
 
Al lowered his head. “It doesn't matter. You see…”
 
“Al no!” Ed was terrified. Although he was afraid that this moment would come, he didn't think it would come this soon. Not now! “You see, you can't just…”
 
Armstrong looked at the two boys with concern in his eyes. He interrupted Ed to prolong the secret about Al. “Al has a…skin disease that prevents him from taking off his armor. You can take my word for it that he that he is no threat.”
 
“That's what you told Misato.” Ritsuko eyed Armstrong before returning her gaze to Al.
 
“Well, actually…” Hughes slide behind Ritsuko. He gave a nervous smile as he spoke. “It was me who said that…” Hughes then noticed that the red dots were on him. “I'll stay back…” He slides back to his previous position.
 
“So, what's the name of this disease?” She got closer and closer to Al. “Leprosy? Skin cancer? What?”
 
Roy watched this and waited. Although he wanted to speak up, he was afraid that it wouldn't do any good at the moment until Doctor Akagi sees it for herself. `Sorry Al, but the good doctor will find out one way or the other.'
 
Al knew he was defeated. All he can hope for was that he would be fine after this. “No. I don't have a skin disease.”
 
“Don't be silly Al!” Ed was still trying to get him out of this. “You see if he took off that armor, he would spread that skin disease, what did you call it? Leprosy or something…”
 
“Look.” Ritsuko narrowed her eyes. She was getting tired of this game. She pushed Ed aside. “I'm sorry we have to put you through this but we can't allow a man wearing a full…” She tapped her clipboard on Al's armor. Her eyes widened greatly as she hears the sound coming from it. “Wait…”
 
Misato also heard the same thing. “Did, did I just hear what I think I heard?”
 
The Section 2 guards were also shocked. They all looked at each other in complete confusion.
 
Ed looked at Ritsuko with worry in his eyes, before he dropped his head in defeat.
 
Ritsuko looked at each one with complete confusion. “What, is he?”
 
Finally, Roy spoke up. “You can't remove Al's armor because…”
 
But Ed felt like he had to answer that question. So he interrupted Roy before he could finish. “Because he is the armor.”
 
Ritsuko's eyes widened even more. Although she has seen a lot of amazing stuff in her life, one of which is in the NERV cage right now getting its armor replaced, at this moment, she still found herself a lost for words. “How, what…” Finally, she settled on the first thing that came to her mind. “He wasn't born into this was he?”
 
Ed shook his head. “No. He…” Ed didn't feel like reliving those memories. But if it makes this doctor person understand their situation, hopefully she will not do some horrible experiments on him. “He…lost his body when we…tried to bring our mother back.”
 
Al looked down in sadness having to relive that moment in his life. Although he couldn't escape it since he is reminded of it every time he looks at himself. And though whenever asked, Ed would be the one to take the blame for what happened, Al still felt responsible since he could've stopped it.
 
Ritsuko could understand that why he isn't in his normal body she surmised. `I guess they really loved their mother that they would willingly risk their own lives. But, what could possibly turn him into a suit of armor?' As she looked at Al, although she couldn't be one hundred percent sure since she was looking at a suit of armor after all, he didn't look all that threatening. She ordered the guards behind her to stand down. “Lower your weapons, I don't think he's a threat.”

The guards lowered their weapons. This seemed to lift the tension in the room a bit as Al no longer had to worry about having a ton of holes in his body.
 
Roy wanted to speak up, but looking at the boys, he knew that they were the ones that should be telling the story, at least, as much as they are willing.
 
“Ooooooooh.” Misato responded. It was all she could think of at the moment. She was still trying to comprehend that this guy isn't just in a suit of armor; he IS the suit of armor.
 
Now that the guards lowered their weapons, and the tension lifted somewhat, she asked her first question about this incident. “What exactly did you two do?” She then thought about the reason why they're even here. “Did it have anything to do with that, magic that you did?”
 
Ed looked up at Ritsuko. “No. I mean, what that is, isn't magic. It's alchemy.”
 
“Alchemy?” Misato had heard of that term before. She was sure she heard it mentioned in her junior high chemistry class that she found extremely boring. “Isn't that where people in Medieval Europe tried to turn metal in gold?”
 
Ed looked at Misato. “Not just that. While many of its founders started on that quest to turn common metal into gold, it is much more then that.”
 
Armstrong finally spoke up. “Alchemy is the ability to change one substance to another. To understand the molecular composition of an object, break it down, and then rebuild it into something else.”
 
Ritsuko looked at Armstrong. “I know the basis of what alchemy is supposed to be all about. But how can you be able to do such thing? In our world, while the science of alchemy is possible, it would take too much energy to make something like common metal into gold for it to ever be worth it.” Before Armstrong could respond however, she continued. “Oh, I'm sorry to be rude, but may I ask your name?”
 
“Not a problem ma'am.” Armstrong raised his lower arm in front of him, showing off his gauntlet with an array on it. “I am Major Alex Louis Armstrong! The Strong Armed Alchemist!” He ripped off his shirt showing off his chiseled body. “I use a combination of physical strength and alchemy which has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations!” He posed and flexed his muscles in front of a completely stunned Ritsuko. Sparkles appeared around his body.
 
Misato chuckled a bit. Now her friend gets to see `mister show it all'.
 
Ritsuko's eyebrow was quivering. She couldn't believe that this guy would, well, rip his shirt off in front of her. Was he trying to pick her up and score points or something? “Ooooooooookay. Um, a word of advice; most women aren't impressed by big muscles big guy.” The sparkles seemed to fall off Armstrong's body as Ritsuko turned to Roy. “So, you are…”
 
“Colonel Roy Mustang ma'am.” Roy saluted Ritsuko.
 
“Colonel…” Ritsuko began. “Just so you know, your rank at the moment currently means nothing to me.”
 
Roy didn't ease up a bit. He knew their rank meant nothing here, at least at them. “Yes ma'am.”
 
“However,” Ritsuko looked at each of the ones in a blue uniform. “So, you're all a part of the military in your nation. Are you all, alchemist?”
 
Roy shook his head. “No. Major Armstrong, Edward Elric, and I are the only State Alchemist here. First Lieutenant Hawkeye…” He indicated to the woman standing beside him, “And Lieutenant Colonel Hughes are not alchemist.”
 
Hughes waved at Ritsuko when she looked at him.
 
“I see.” Ritsuko replied as she thought about this. `This means that, like scientist in this world, not everyone is an alchemist. And he mentioned something about State Alchemist was it?' “And is every alchemist a State Alchemist?”
 
Roy shook his head again. “No. Al over there is an alchemist, but not a State Alchemist.”
 
Ed frowned. “Right. Because once you become a State Alchemist, you become a dog of the state.”
 
Misato grinned. She liked his attitude. Although she had to follow orders of course being a part of NERV, that doesn't mean she believes that every single order should be followed. Though luckily for her, Commander Ikari had given her a lot of freedom so far. Still, she was well aware that he was her superior, and she must follow all of his orders, whether she like it or not. And while she doesn't know Commander Ikari personally, she had a feeling that she's not going to like all of them.
 
Ritsuko continued to write this down on her clipboard. It was clear that the little one didn't like the military. Not to mention, he was pretty young to be in the military. Of course, they can't exactly claim innocence in this matter since Shinji Ikari wasn't exactly old either. After she finished writing down all the information they presented about it, she then turned to Roy again. “Well, Colonel…” Although she didn't have to call him by that term given that his rank meant nothing here, she decided to be courteous and continue calling him a Colonel, for now at least. Besides, they were still military personal, even if their nation doesn't exist in this world. “Major Armstrong over there called himself the Strong Arm Alchemist. I assume he is called that due to his technique to combine his physical strength with this alchemy. Are you and Edward over there called by a different name as well?”
 
“Yes ma'am.” Roy replied. “I am the Flame Alchemist.” Roy showed his glove. “With the use of alchemy, I can turn a little spark into a flaming inferno by feeding it the oxygen from the surrounding air.” He then pointed to Roy. “Edward is…”
 
“The Fullmetal Alchemist!” Ed proudly posed.
 
Ritsuko looked at Ed, then at Al with confusion. “Um, shouldn't that nickname apply to your brother?”
 
Ed face faulted.
 
Al waved her away. “Uh hehehe…”
 
Roy chuckled a bit. “I get the feeling they get that a lot.” He looked at Ritsuko who turned her attention back to him. “No. You see, only State Alchemist get an unofficial second name. Since Al is not a State Alchemist, he doesn't get one.”
 
Ritsuko grinned. “Fair enough.” She turned towards Edwards. “And what is so special about your alchemy that earned you the name, Fullmetal Alchemist?”
 
Ed showed her his artificial arm. “I can make alchemy without a transmutation circle with this arm.”
 
Ritsuko's eyes widened. The more she is with them, the more amazing it gets. Not only does he have an artificial arm, but, in an odd sort of way, was more advanced then any artificial limb that she has seen. It moved almost like a real arm if it wasn't for the fact that it was made out of metal. `If it wasn't for the Evas, I could be studying these guys instead.' Right now though, she was curious how someone so young, could lose an arm. Did he give it up voluntarily? Only one way to find out… “That arm, how did you lose it?”
 
Ed's smile disappeared and lowered his head. “Not just my right arm. My left leg as well. I…I lost it the same reason why Al doesn't have a body.”
 
“Oh yeah. I almost forgot that.” Ritsuko started writing some stuff down on her clipboard. “So, could you tell me why you lost it?” After a few moment of complete silence, she decided that now might not be a good time. “If you want, you don't have to…”
 
Finally Ed broke the silence. “No. I'll tell it. No reason why you can't hear it right?” Ed paused to take a breath before he continued. “When our mother died, we tried to bring her back using alchemy. We brought all the ingredients together that made up a human body.”
 
Al continued to the story. “But alchemy isn't magic. It takes more then just carbon, calcium, water, and other materials to bring a person back to life.”
 
“The first law of Alchemy. The Law of Equivalent Exchange.” Ed was fighting back the tears that threatened to appear. “We had everything. Everything to bring her back except…”
 
“Something to exchange for the human soul right?” Ritsuko watched as Ed and Al both nod in silence. “I guess in exchange for trying to bring back your mother, you lost your arm and leg, and your brother lost his body. Pretty high price to pay.” As she continued to write this all down, she then looked at the two boys. “Did you, at least…succeed?”
 
Al and Ed shook their heads.
 
“We were fools.” Ed choked out. “Something came back, but it wasn't our mother. And when…and when Al was losing his body, I had to quickly transfer his soul to a nearby armor. The one you see now.”
 
Hughes looked at the brothers. `Although he didn't have much to say at the moment, given that he wasn't an alchemist, his mind was still cluttered with many thoughts. While he knew, at least part of the story on what happened to the Elric brothers, he didn't know all the details either. Being an investigator and all, he was able to find out a lot of things. Also, he could've easily found a lot about what happened. Maybe not every single detail of course, but at least a lot of what happened on that night. He however stayed away from it. `It was something that can only be retold by them, and only them.' And at the moment, this was the most he has heard of their story. `And while they were fools to try, I hate to admit it but, if my dear Elysia or Glacier died, I might try to bring them back as well.'
 
Ritsuko saddened knowingly. “I guess even you can't play god.”
 
“Human transmutation.” Roy commented. “It's forbidden from where we came from for this very reason. Although they weren't the first to try it, nor will they be the last.”
 
“We can relate.” Misato replied behind them. “We too try to push the limits, and we fail as well.” `Second Impact could be viewed as that.'
 
“Which was why we are looking for the Philosopher's Stone.” Al spoke up. “With that stone, we can get my brother's limbs and my old body back!”
 
Ed was waving back at his brother. “Wait Al! Don't…”
 
However, it was WAY too late for that. Ritsuko heard it quite clearly. “The Philosopher's Stone?” Ritsuko rubbed her chin. “I've heard about that. In our legends, the Philosopher's Stone is a chemical that was supposed to bring about a permanent change of making a base metal into gold. I assume that in your world that it can do much more then that right?”
 
Ed sighed. `Well, if they are going to help us, which is still in question, might as well tell them.' He nodded his head. “It's supposed to bypass all laws of alchemy and give the user an unlimited amount of power.”
 
“In theory.” Hughes butted in. “Although there has been a lot of researched devoted to that area, and some might even claim that they came close, but no Philosopher's Stone has ever come out of it. Now, there have been rumors of its existence for years, but so far, none of them have been confirmed.”
 
“But we can keep trying, right?” Al replied with a little hope in his voice.
 
“Yeah.” Ed said. Though he was slightly down. “However, if Doctor Marcoh's work holds any truth, it might be a fruitless matter. From his instructions, it takes living people to make.”
 
“But then, how would this Doctor Marcoh know that it would take living people to make a Philosopher's Stone? Is he implying that it was made then?” Misato asked.
 
“Um…” Ed did not want to respond to that. Especially since he just let out the fact that it would take living people to make it. If he said yes, this NERV group wants them to make a Philosopher's Stone, it could be like his run in with Tucker all over again. He vowed NOT to be manipulated like that.
 
Unfortunately for Ed, Roy answered for him. “We can't be certain. Although Doctor Marcoh was able to create a fake Philosopher's Stone which was able to give alchemist an enhanced power, it still wasn't the real thing.”
 
“And the use of living people?” Ritsuko asked Roy.
 
Roy stayed silent. While he wasn't privy to all the information, what he knew of the research, he could guess that the answer was yes.
 
“But there is another way!” Al reassured his brother. “There has to be!”
 
“I hope so too Al.” Ed smiled. “Otherwise…” He couldn't think of the possibility that his brother would never have a human body. At the same time though, he would NEVER sacrifice another human life for it either.
 
Ritusko started thinking about what this meant. `This, Philosopher's Stone, could be a worthy pursuit for not only them, but for us. However, something that would defy not only our laws of science, but the laws of their alchemy as well?' “If this Philosopher's Stone can do what you say it can do, are you saying that it can bring back a person's life?”
 
Ed nodded. “In theory.”
 
“But everyone that pursued the Philosopher's Stone has ended in failure one way or the other.” Armstrong replied. “And even if they succeed, is the price in making it worth the benefits?”
 
“Maybe not.” Roy replied. “After all, we're here because of a failed attempt to make the stone.”
 
Misato started to frown. `If the Commander hears about this, he's not going to care what it takes to make the Philosopher's Stone. He's going to force them to make it if possible!' This was exactly what she did NOT want to happen.
 
Ritsuko was thinking the same thing, with a few differences. `If Gendo hears about this, he's going to want the Philosopher's Stone no matter what it takes to make them. Even if to achieve that goal meant sacrificing a few innocent victims. While I hope he would look at this with a level mind, given what this Philosopher's Stone was supposed to do, I'm afraid he would do just that. The only thing standing in his way would be us of course. But he will always find a way to achieve his goals.' She then remembered what Al said. `There has to be another way. Well, I hope you're right Al.' Still, she had other matters to discuss with them before she can figure out what she would do to them. “Well, we can discuss this Philosopher's Stone issue another time. Right now, I want to discuss how you actual do the alchemy.” She turned to Ed. “You mentioned something about doing alchemy without an array. I assume that's your special talent and that all other alchemist need an array to do their alchemy. What is it, and what does it do?”
 
Ed smiled a bit. He wanted to get away from talking about his past and the Philosopher's Stone. Although he was still afraid of what their future might be at NERV, he pushed those thoughts aside for now. Especially since he knew that their fate was no longer in their hands, at least right now. “Alchemy arrays are Transmutation Circles that are used by almost every alchemist to perform alchemy. While there are many different shapes and designs to them, most allow the user to alter anything they have into anything they want. Well, within their skill level of course.”
 
Ritsuko was writing this all down. “I see. And you two have…”
 
Roy and Armstrong showed their alchemic circles on their glove or gauntlet.
 
Ritsuko studied the design of their arrays. “So, those can be used to make alchemy right? Show me.”
 
-Later…
 
Commander Ikari's Office
 
Gendo Ikari was sitting at his desk with Kouzou Fuyutsuki standing next to him. Standing across from them was Ritsuko who was holding her clipboard. Gendo held his hands in front of his mouth as he and Kouzou stared into the computer screen in front of him. It showed the replay of the alchemist's demonstration in one of the open testing facilities at NERV. First, they are shown Roy Mustang's ability to manipulate a spark and turn it into an inferno destroying his target, an empty jeep, at the end of the room. Next, they see Armstrong bash a rock; this created sparks that fly towards the end of the hanger where it destroys a jeep. After that, they see Ed clasp his hands and create a wall, blowing up another jeep on the far side. Missing from the tape though was Al. Although Ritsuko knew that he was able to do alchemy as well, and wanted to further research his `soul transmutation', she decided not to have him demonstrate and be shown to Commander Ikari. Since he wasn't a part of the military, there was no reason to involve him with NERV.
 
Gendo was intrigued by this video, although his voice didn't reveal anything of that matter. “So, there is a reason why Captain Katsuragi brought them here. Remind me to congratulate her for this find.”
 
Kouzou was also watching the video. When it was done, he turned to Ritsuko. “So, are you saying that there is a scientific explanation for all of this?”
 
“In a strange sort of way, yes. There is an odd scientific logic behind all of this.” Ritsuko replied in a matter of fact tone. “Although I still haven't figured out how they are doing it, they do seem to be bound by rules that are quite scientific in nature. For example, their Rule of Equivalent Exchange is similar to our Law of Conservation of Matter. They can't create something without giving something in return. For example, Colonel Roy Mustang could only create that inferno first by creating a spark, then feeding it with oxygen around him.”
 
“Since it is alchemy they are using, can they change a substance into something else?” Kouzou asked.
 
Ritsuko nodded. “From what they said, yes. However, only really skilled alchemist can do that. Otherwise, they would simply make, say, a metal pan into a sword for example.”
 
“Can anyone use alchemy?” Gendo replied in the same tone. “And is this alchemy useful for our purposes?”
 
“According to them, anyone can learn alchemy since to them, learning alchemy is like learning science since, it is science to them.” Ritsuko flipped through a number of her notes. “However, that's supposing that it isn't unique to the world that they came from. I'll have to run a few more test to be sure.” She flipped few a few more pages before continuing. “As for whether or not it is useful, the Magi haven't figured that out yet. Although according to the Magi, there is a possibility that the Evas themselves could use it from the data that they provided. Although the possibility of that is currently 0.000008 percent.”
 
Gendo was impressed with their skill. However, there was only one thing that he was interested in this whole affair. “And what do you know about this, Philosopher's Stone?”
 
`There it is.' Ritsuko thought. Ritsuko looked into Gendo's eager eyes before she replied. “Well, according to Edward Elric, the Philosopher's Stone can give a user the ability to literally ignore the laws of alchemy. That's liked us acquiring something that would ignore the very rules of science. Even making it possible to, bring someone back from the dead. However, this is all theory according to them. He also mentioned that there haven't been a confirmed report that this stone exist.”
 
“Yet.” Gendo seemed to smile. However, if he was smiling, Ritsuko couldn't see it since his hands where covering his mouth. “From your report that they have gotten close to creating one. Even producing `fakes' that while don't have the power of a `true' Philosopher's Stone, still enhanced their alchemic power. Also, this Edward Elric has been researching it for a while right?”
 
“That is correct.” Ritsuko replied.
 
Gendo liked what he was hearing. “Is there a way that we could recreate the stone here?”
 
Ritsuko wasn't completely sure how to answer it. “I…it might be possible. But only they can even being said research.”
 
“Then let them.” Gendo hastily replied. “If we acquire the Philosopher's Stone, the Angels won't stand a chance.” `However, that is not a sole reason for wanting it made.'
 
Ritsuko nodded. “Yes sir. That might be the case. However, Ed mentioned that it might take human lives to make it. He, and the others are unwilling to do such a thing.”
 
“As are we.” Gendo grinned. “If it takes human souls to make a stone, then we shouldn't make one. After all, we are humanities last hope here. We can't create something that would, go against that ideal now should we?”
 
Ritsuko didn't like Gendo's tone. However, she was going to play along anyways. “No we shouldn't sir.”
 
“But there are other ways right?” Gendo persisted. “After all, in science, there is always more then one way to make something.”
 
“That is true.” Ritsuko agreed. She hoped that was true in this case at least.
 
“Well, then it is settled.” Gendo looked into Ritsuko's eyes and smiled. “We will help research the Philosopher's Stone here, without the need of lives to be taken. In exchange for whatever they demand. Equivalent exchange right? Now, you're dismissed.”
 
“Yes sir.” Ritsuko turned around and exited his office.
 
-------End of Chapter 2
 
Next Chapter…the FMA group is presented with a deal. Will they take it? And where will they stay in the Evangelion world? Until then…later!