Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Evangelion ❯ The Deal ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-This is chapter 3 of my FMA/Eva story!
 
-This is the first of the intended `revised' chapters for this story in order for it to be accurate to the rest of the current 10 chapters that is hosted at FFN (though the last chapter could also see a revision in the future. Though the priority of changing that one is lower than the rest of the of the story). Though I later discovered that it was not needed since the major problems didn't begin until the next chapter, at least I did start the process of correcting this story.
 
NERV Headquarters - Examination Room
 
“Don't worry Al, this won't hurt a bit.” Ritsuko pushed a button and the machine over Al's body started moving. “This machine will check the inside of your body. Well, at least your armor body.”
 
Ritsuko, Ed, Roy, Riza, Hughes, and Armstrong were all in the control area of the examination room. Separating them and the CAT scan was a wall with a large window. Next to the window was a door into where the CAT scan was. Al was being run through the machine. They checked to see if there was anything unusual about him being a suit of armor.
 
Ed looked at the image that it was producing on the `computer screen' that Ritsuko Akagi called it. Although he was given a basic rundown on what exactly a computer was, at least the best Ritsuko could explain without turning it into a Computer Science course, he still found the machine quite fascinating. `I wonder what this thing could do?' Right now, this `thing' was making an image on the computer.
 
“Good thing this was a CAT scan and not an MRI scan!” Misato commented offhand.
 
“MRI scan? What's that?” Ed asked curiously.
 
“Magnetic Resonance Imaging scanner.” Ritsuko answered. “If we had used that, well…”
 
“Yeah.” Ed returned his attention to Al. “I see why it would be bad.” Although he was curious exactly how an MRI worked exactly, given that it would require magnetism as the name implied, it was obvious why they wouldn't use it on Al.
 
“Hmmmmmm.” Ritsuko looked at the picture in front of her. “Al's metal body is interfering with the scan. However, from what I can gather, I see nothing unusual with it.”
 
“Nothing?” Misato asked with quite a bit of curiosity.
 
“Nothing.” Ritsuko added. “I mean, the most amazing thing would be the fact that it was even moving in front of our eyes, but that's the most we could find unusual about it. Otherwise, it's just a piece of armor.”
 
“Really?” Misato looked at the picture.
 
“Yup.” Ritsuko sighed. “You could probably file this under code 601.”
 
“601?” Ed turned to Ritsuko when he heard her say that. “What does that mean?”
 
Ritsuko eyed Ed. “Well, it is simply the system's code for cannot be analyzed. There are just a few things beyond our understand.”
 
“Well, it isn't quite beyond our understanding…” Ed turned and stared at his brother through the other side of the window. Although in a way, even that wasn't entirely true. After all, they haven't exactly figured out what the human soul was. And it was this that was keeping his brother in this world.
 
Riza, Hughes, Armstrong, and Roy were all also staring at the image. Not that they could figure out what all the colors meant or what not, just the fact that this machine could make such and image, AND have the image move amazed them.
 
“It…moves!” Riza watched as the image changed showing each depth of Al. She looked back to see if there was a projector like it was a movie. She then shook her head as realization hit her. “If it was a projector, then I would be blocking the image.” She then turned back to the machine. “Then that means the images are being produced…on the other side of this box.” She looked at the console holding the computer screens.
 
“I haven't seen anything like it in all my life.” Armstrong pushed Riza to the left a bit to get a better look. “You could see what's inside! Well…what's not inside at least.”
 
“We need something like this at Central.” Roy commented.
 
“Do you even know how to use it Colonel?” Hughes questioned as he pushed the others so he could get a better look at the image.
 
“No.” Roy admitted. “But does it matter?”
 
Misato eyed the Amestris soldiers looking at the computer screen with their noses nearly touching the screen. She kept herself from giggling as she watches this group act like kids in a candy shop. “I can't wait till they discover the television!”
 
Ritsuko grinned. She went into the CAT scan area and got Al.
 
Al got up from his position and walked over to where the others were. “So Doctor, what did you find?”
 
Ritsuko looked into Al's eyes and sighed. “Well, nothing really. You're just a piece of armor.”
 
“Just armor?” Al eyes seemed to sadden after hearing this.
 
Ritsuko shook her head. She did note Al's change in expression at least, she thinks she sees a change. `I think he looks sadder. Kind of hard to tell given the lack of facial expressions, but he does seem to be sadder after I told him he was just a piece of armor.' She thought about what this meant. `So, he has been having trouble dealing with his humanity it seems. Maybe I shouldn't have been so blunt…' She thought sadly. Then she looked closely at the image again as her eyes widened a bit as realization hit her. “Well, there does seem to be an electrical resonance centering on this point.” Ritsuko pointed to it.
 
Ed looked at the picture again. Well, after pushing aside Riza, Roy, Hughes, and Armstrong who were blocking his path. He grinned. “That's where the seal is that I used to bind Al to the armor.”
 
“So, you're saying that's where you sealed his soul to the armor then?” Misato asked as she looked at the faint electrical resonance surrounding the X-ray image.
 
Ed nodded.
 
Ritsuko smiled a bit. “Well, so there is something here then!” She turned to Al who seemed to be thinking about this new revelation. “You have a human soul Al! Remember that!”
 
Al's eyes were wide. `I'm…I'm human!' “Thank you Doctor!”
 
“No need to thank me!” Ritsuko added. “Just doing my job!”
 
Ed smiled at this. He knew his brother had been having problems with his humanity. At least this, he hoped, would ease some of that fear.
 
Ritsuko smiled then turned to Ed. “Now it's your turn Edward.”
 
Ed snapped back to reality. “Eh?”
 
Later…
 
“For a State Alchemist, he sure is skittish.” Ritsuko commented as she examined the image.
 
Al rubbed the back of his head. “Uh hehehe. Well, that's my brother!”
 
Ed was a little embarrassed. “Al, don't say that!”
 
Roy grinned. “For all the bravado he shows, he's still a kid at heart!”
 
“Speak for yourself Colonel.” Ed's eyes narrowed.
 
While all that was going on, Ritsuko was examining the image from the CAT scan. “Fascinating! It's amazing the way your artificial arm works!”
 
Ed turned his attention away from a grinning Roy to Ritsuko. “What about my arm?”
 
Ritsuko turned her head to see her current subject in front of her. “It's both amazingly simple, yet complicated. I assume it works fairly close to a real arm right?”
 
Ed looked at his arm. “Yeah I guess so.”
 
Misato looked at the image. “Whoa! All the wires…”
 
“Are hooked up to a specific nerves and muscles that moves a specific part.” Ritsuko added. “It's like this arm was made with only parts found in the 1930s. No electronics, no sensors, nothing! Just some metal plates, some nuts and bolts, and some wires. Even then, our current robotic prosthetic limbs would have trouble matching this!” She looked at Ed and smiled. “Whoever was the mechanic that built you this arm must've been a genius.”
 
Ed smiled as he thought about the girl that was still in the other world. “Yeah. A genius.”
 
Later…
 
NERV Headquarters - Empty Room
 
Misato, Ritsuko, and the Amestris group were all in an empty room. This room was made out of concrete with no windows or cameras. Only a single light in the center illuminated the room.
 
“I hope we're done with the experiments without some sort of deal in place.” Ed frowned. “While I was willing to put up with it, we're also…”
 
Ritsuko waved him to stop. “Agreed. I'm sorry about putting you through this without a formal agreement. But I wanted this little examination out of the way before you `officially' work for us.”
 
Roy cocked his head to the side. He was curious with what Ritsuko meant by that. “Why's that?”
 
“I'll get to it.” Ritsuko reached into her coat pocket and took out a piece of paper. “We want you to see if this alchemy can be useful for our efforts at NERV. As well as research and eventually make this Philosopher's Stone. But we know you won't do it for free so to speak. So, what do you guys want?”
 
Roy grinned. “Simple really. First, we want a way home. Nothing unusual about that I assume?” Roy watched Ritsuko shake her head before he continued. “Also, we don't want to be placed in direct danger if we have to. While we are used to life threatening situations due to all, well…” Roy instantly corrected himself. “Most of us being in the military, and are willing to work with NERV here for the research of alchemy and the Philosopher's Stone, we do not want our lives to be placed in unnecessary danger. Especially from your, experiments so to speak.”
 
“That.” Ed interrupted. “And the use of the Philosopher's Stone IF, and this is a big IF, we ever make it. Remember, no one has actually…”
 
“I understand.” Ritsuko interrupted Ed as she stepped back. She assumed he wanted it to get his brother's body back. And maybe even give him a new arm and a leg. Though Ed could get real limbs here simply by cloning, that still left his brother out since he currently lacked any existence of DNA in this world. `Without his DNA, the only real possibility to get his body back would be the Philosopher's Stone. And that's supposing that it does what it really say it does.' “Now, hear my side…”
 
“Didn't you already tell us your side?” Ed asked incredulously.
 
“I did. But…” Ritsuko held her clipboard tighter. “It concerns the members of this group. First, since not everyone of you are alchemist, not everyone here is important to us.”
 
“Hey!” Hughes spoke up since he was one of the non-alchemists in the group. “Just because…”
 
“I'm sorry.” Ritsuko apologized to the group. “But our deal concerns alchemist. They can't be a part of this deal if they do not hold any special abilities that are useful for us.”
 
“But…” Hughes checked his jacket. “I have some pretty great skills throwing knives…” As he continued to search, his jacket realization hit him. “Which they took away from me.” Steams of tears poured down his face.
 
Ritsuko shook her head.
 
“But…” Riza didn't feel like being left out of this group if that was the case. “But then what would we do?”
 
Ritsuko shrugged. “The most I can do for you two would be to add you to security detail. But when it comes to the inner workings of NERV that is left to the rest of you. Roy Mustang, Alex Louis Armstrong, and Edward Elric.”
 
“No ranks?” Roy asked as she read off the names.
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “Well, I could keep calling you Colonel but here, your rank means nothing to us. Instead, you'll all be private officers.”

Misato showed a hesitated smile. “And…it would be a little strange having a Colonel having to answer a Captain.”
 
“I understand.” Roy nodded as he waited for what else Ritsuko or Misato had to say.
 
Ed eyed Roy. A devious grin appeared on his face. `So, now Roy is our equals now huh?' After thinking about Roy's lost of status, Ed was going through the names and realized one was missing. “And what about Al?”
 
“Al?” Ritsuko replied as if it was new to her. “Well, since Alphonse Elric wasn't a `State Alchemist', I saw no reason to include him in this deal of ours. Of course any information he provides about the Philosopher's Stone would be accepted, but he himself wouldn't be working directly with NERV either!”
 
Ed blinked in surprise. “But wouldn't your commander be interested in the fact that Al was just a piece of armor? The product of a soul transmutation?”
 
Ritsuko looked at Ed and replied as if nothing was out of place. “It would be if I told him but, I didn't.”
 
Roy was stunned. While he was willing to give up a lot if it meant going back home, one thing he probably wouldn't have allowed was Al being turned into some experiment. Though he knew that he couldn't stop it either, he still would've done something to prevent it. But now it was sounding like he didn't have to worry about it anyways. “Why would you do that? Wouldn't the Commander be just a bit curious with the fact that we have a man in full armor? Never mind the fact that it is empty?”
 
Ritsuko nodded. “He would. But I think the information about alchemy, and the information about the Philosopher's Stone was sufficient to satisfy him. As far as he knows, he's a freak that wears armor that somehow stumbled into your group. And to make sure this information doesn't get out about him, I've ordered all members in the know how, those Section 2 guards for example, to not say a word of this to anyone. As for why I omitted that fact in my report to Commander Ikari, well, I didn't want Al to be involved with NERV if he didn't have to be. That and it was the insistence of Misato to keep him out of it.”
 
Al was stunned. “You, you don't want me involve?”
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “This is why we had that little `unofficial test' today to see what you were like inside. It was just for my benefit. Once you leave through NERV's door, you're done with us.”
 
Ed blinked a few times. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. “You're just letting him go?”
 
Ritsuko nodded. “I might not be the most caring person in the world, but I'm not that cold hearted either. I'm not going to turn Al into some guinea pig if he doesn't have to.”
 
Al was sort of glad not to be involved with NERV. He wasn't sure what they would do, but it probably wasn't something good, especially given his experience with secret underground labs. However, does that mean he might be separated from Ed? “But I won't…”
 
“And you won't.” Ritsuko answered, knowing exactly what Al was thinking. “You will still be with Ed on the surface. But you won't be anywhere near this facility.”
 
Ed smiled. He knew that Ritsuko didn't have to do this. She could've just added Al to this deal and there was very little they could do about it. Well, they could try and make sure that they didn't do anything drastic of course. But even then, they weren't sure what NERV was capable of and what they could've done to Al. Now he didn't have to worry about it. “Thanks doctor.”
 
“Don't thank me…” Ritsuko started. She turned to her violet haired friend. “You could thank Misato. Her persistence convinced me that having Al here wasn't worth it.”
 
“Well, you could've still said no Ritsuko.” Misato smiled. “See guys? Ritsuko can be a very reasonable selfless person!”
 
“It also means I have less paperwork for me to deal with.” Ritsuko smiled. “First I have to work on the Evangelions, then I have to deal with this alchemy and see if they can be implemented in our program, and I have to help in the research of the Philosopher's Stone. Keeping Al here would just be more paperwork that I'm simply refuse to do!”
 
Misato smile faded. “I take that back.”
 
Roy smiled. He liked this deal. “I'd say you have a deal here.” Roy held out his hand.
 
Ritsuko smiled. “It's nice doing business with you!” Ritsuko shook Roy's hand.
 
“My pleasure.” Roy smiled a bit. But he still had some questions. “Now, what exactly does NERV do?”
 
“Oh right! I haven't really gone into details yet have I? Well…” Ritsuko took out a few books from her coat and handed them to Ed, Roy, and Armstrong. “You can read it all in the NERV handbook.”
 
Ed, Roy, and Armstrong started going through the handbook.
 
Hughes rubbed his chin. Unfortunately for him, he was semi-kept out of the loop. This while the others were reading the NERV manuals, minus Al and Riza, he found himself with a little free time on his hands. And with his free time, he started to go through what Ritsuko said. And one thing stuck in his mind. `Commander, Commander Ikari. Shinji, Shinji Ikari.' He looked up and caught Ritsuko's eyes. “Doctor, you mentioned Commander Ikari. Is he Shinji Ikari's father?”
 
Ritsuko turned to him and nodded. “Yes. He is his father.”
 
Al blinked. He had almost forgotten about that shy reserved boy they first met in this world. “Um, about Shinji, what happened to him?”
 
This time, it was Misato who answered. “He's currently in the hospital, unconscious.”
 
“Hospital?” Armstrong looked at Misato curiously. “Why is he in the hospital? What did he do?”
 
Ritsuko sighed. “We're not quite sure. He was the pilot of the Eva that defeated the Angel. When we got to him, he was unconscious.”
 
“Eva.” Roy remembered the Doctor mentioning Evangelion before. He assumed that Eva was an abbreviation of Evangelion. But what was an Evangelion exactly? He looked through the handbook, but couldn't find a mention of it anywhere. “You mentioned Evangelion. I don't see it in here so what is it?”
 
Ritsuko was biting her lip. “Umm, well, you won't find it mention in there…”
 
“Look,” Roy's expression turned serious. “If we are to work together, we need to know everything about what you have been working on. We can't determine if our alchemy could be useful to you if we don't know exactly what it would be used for.” Roy turned to look at Riza, Hughes, and Al. “If it helps, you can send these three away before you tell us.”
 
“Colonel?” Riza looked stunned at Roy. Although she knew why he was doing this, it still didn't feel right that she might be separated from them.
 
`Well, the media pretty much knew the general idea what the Eva was and what it did. Not all the details of course, but enough so that it wasn't a secret. And he was right, they can't help us use alchemy if they don't know what we've been doing.' Ritsuko turned to Roy. “That wouldn't be necessary. What I'm going to show you, the general public pretty much has an idea of what it is. Although I won't tell you any specific details until later, I can at least do this. If you come with me, I'll show you exactly what we're working on.”
 
 
Later…
 
Eva Cage
 
“Whoa!” Ed leans on the railing as he stared at the massive figure in front of him. “This thing…”
 
“Is Eva Unit 01.” Ritsuko answered to the eager bunch in front of her. “The armor is currently being replaced after it was damaged in the Angel attack earlier this evening.”
 
Armstrong looked the machine up and down. He was mighty impressed. “This is the largest machine I have ever seen!”
 
Misato grinned. “Feeling inadequate big fella?”
 
Armstrong eyed Misato before taking off his shirt. “Inadequate? Why would I feel inadequate when I have these!” Armstrong started posing, flexing his muscles, and so forth, you know the routine. “My physic has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations!”
 
Misato face faulted. “He did it again.”
 
Ritsuko grinned a bit. “If you say so…”
 
“Angels.” Al leaned in close to Ritsuko. “Exactly Doctor, why are they called Angels?”
 
Ritsuko shrugged. “Well, many believe that these are the Angels that you have read in books and legends. They believe that they are the messengers of god, and the message that they were bringing was the end of all humanity. I don't really know if that's the case or not, nor do I care what they are called. However, one thing we do know is that they are a threat to humanity and that they must be stopped.”
 
Misato knew that Ritsuko was feeding them bullshit, well, half bullshit. `That's exactly why they are called that. Maybe not the full story, but that's the basic reason they are called that! Don't really know my ass!' However, Misato had no reason to correct her. Although she hated to admit it, but there is some value to keeping a little information hidden from then for a while. Then again, if information can be kept from them, what about keeping it from her? `Which begs the question, how much do I really know about the Angels?'
 
“We've really stepped into something then.” Hughes replied. “Well, whatever reason why they are called Angels, at least you defeated it this evening.”
 
“Yeah.” Al commented. “That reminds me, how many Angels were out there this evening?”
 
Ritsuko turned to Al. “One.”
 
“One?” Ed looked at Ritsuko funny. “But you said that this Eva, or whatever it is called, destroyed an Angel! What about that massive blast we saw earlier?”
 
Ritsuko grinned. “It didn't do anything to it!”
 
The Amestris group all stared at Ritsuko, stunned and with their mouths wide open.
 
Roy was taken aback. Like everyone else, he saw the power of the blast first hand. “It didn't do anything?”
 
Ed was at a lost for words. “But…but…but…”
 
Misato tapped her cheek as if she was remembering back to the incident. “Well, the Angel was slightly wounded in the attack, if you can call it that. From the footage I've seen, it got what we might call sunburn? But it was back in fighting shape in no time after a short healing process.”
 
“And why this was created!” Ritsuko gestured towards Eva Unit 01. “Conventional weapons couldn't penetrate the Angel's AT Field.”
 
`Scary to think that the weapon that caused that explosion would be considered a conventional weapon.' Roy mused. `Now, what was an AT Field?' “AT Field? What's an AT Field?” Roy asked.
 
“Absolute Terror Field!” Misato added. “It's an, energy shield of sorts. It's called that, as Ritsuko has already stated, because conventional weapons couldn't penetrate it.”
 
“Absolute…Terror?” Hughes said. “Straight to the point I see.”
 
Roy looked at the machine in front of him. Oddly, it seemed to be, alive in a way. “So, you created this thing to counter that AT Field. And what exactly did you do to counter it?”
 
Ritsuko nodded. “You'll find out more when you officially start working for me! Then maybe we can have Shinji Ikari demonstrate exactly what we did.”
 
“Shinji Ikari.” Roy repeated the name. “So, this is why Commander Ikari called Shinji here wasn't it?”
 
Ritsuko's smile faded. “For the most part, yes.”
 
Ed frowned. “Did he even give him any training before he was placed into this thing?”
 
Ritsuko and Misato were silent for a while.
 
Finally Misato answered. “No.”
 
“No?” Ed frown deepened. “Some father he is. They haven't seen each other for over three years, and when he does contact him, it's so that he can be used as a pilot for this thing? And not just that, he was used to pilot this thing without any prior training whatsoever?”
 
“If you put it in those terms, yes, that's true.” Ritsuko replied with a lowered voice. “And I don't like this anymore then you do Edward. However, Shinji was for the most part our last hope. Very few people can pilot an Eva.”
 
Ed still didn't like the answer. “How many pilots are there exactly?”
 
“There are three pilots including Shinji.” Ritsuko responded in a `matter of fact' tone.
 
“So that's what you meant when you said, `Third Child'.” Ed replied. His scowl deepened. “Shinji's the third pilot. Not a lot of alternates if he decided not to fight huh?”
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “No, not a lot I'm afraid.”
 
Hughes was rubbing his chin with this new news. From the fact that Shinji was referred as the `Third Child', does that mean the other pilots are as young as him? And who were the other pilots? “Since Shinji is the `Third Child', who are the other pilots?”
 
Ritsuko listed off their names. “The first pilot, the First Child, is Rei Ayanami. The second pilot, the Second Child, is Asuka Langley Sohryu. And, as you have already met, the third pilot, the Third Child, is Shinji Ikari.”
 
“And how come Shinji fought last night instead of either Miss Ayanami or Miss Sohryu?” Armstrong spook with his deep voice.
 
Misato sighed. “Well, Asuka is currently stationed in Germany with Unit 02 so she's unavailable. And Rei, well, she was injured during her…training exercise.”
 
Hughes frowned. “So barring a miracle, Shinji was brought in to save the world.”
 
“Pretty much.” Ritsuko replied.
 
Al was thinking about why there were only three pilots. “And exactly why was Shinji and the others chosen to pilot these things? Shinji doesn't look like a fighter to me.”
 
Misato shrugged. “We're, not quite sure either. All we know is, that all three pilots were born 9 months after Second Impact which happened 15 years ago.”
 
“15 years ago?” Riza's eyes widened. “Then that means that all the pilots…”
 
“Yeah.” Ritsuko nodded. “Again, we don't know why. But it might have to do with Second Impact.”
 
“And it's also why we don't have a lot of pilots to work with.” Misato frowned.
 
“There are, also other reason why we don't.” Ritsuko added. “But I'll save it when the others are not here.”
 
“Second Impact.” Ed's curiosity peeked when he heard that. Especially since they kept mentioning it. “What exactly is Second Impact?”
 
“Hmmmmmm.” Ritsuko pondered about what she should say about it. Finally, she settled on the short, simple, and mostly true answer. “It's the one event that forever changed this world. The first Angel caused a massive explosion in Antarctica, which is our South Pole if that helps you understand. It wiped out two thirds of all humanity on the Earth and is why we are developing ways to fight them. I'll give you more details later.”
 
“Second Impact.” Ed was absorbing this new information. “So this is why you are fighting these, Angels.”
 
“That's correct Ed.” Ritsuko replied. “Look, I told you that I'm not exactly happy with the situation that we're in. But we have to deal with it the best we can.”
 
Ed was still not happy about this either. But again, he understood the situation completely. He nodded. “Sometimes we have to do what we have to do.”
 
Al sighed. `Yeah.' However, he wanted to go back to the discussion about the Second Impact. Why was it the second? “About the Second Impact again, why is it called Second Impact?” Al asked with curiosity. “Was there a First Impact?”
 
“Correct.” Misato confirmed. “Although the first one was not caused by an Angel. First Impact happened about 65 million years ago that was caused by a meteor. It hit the Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs.” Misato answered. When she received blank stares from the group, she decided to add a little more to her answer. “Well, before humanity roamed the Earth, the world was dominated by these massive reptiles called dinosaurs. They ruled the Earth, so to speak, until a meteor, a…very large rock from space, struck the Earth. The Dust that it caused blocked out the sun, killing the plants, and ninety percent on the planets species!”
 
Ritsuko grinned. She started clapping. “Impressive school lesson Misato! Maybe if this job isn't enough, you can apply for the local school!”
 
Misato frowned and crossed her arms. “Oh shut up! The kid asked a question, and I answered it!”
 
Roy leaned over the railing. “So this is supposed to prevent the Angels from wiping out humanity. To prevent Third Impact I assume?”
 
“Yup!” Ritsuko nodded. “And that's exactly what we're calling that event that we are trying to avoid. Now if you excuse us…”
 
Later…
 
NERV - Temporary Living Quarters
 
The room was well lit though somewhat small. There were three bunk beds set up at opposing walls in the room.
 
“Until your permanent residence can be established, this will have to do.” Ritsuko said to the group. “Though I am concerned about Al over there. It isn't like it is common for a guy in a suit of armor to go walking around.”
 
Roy grinned. “Believe me, it isn't that common in our world either.”
 
“I can probably guess that.” Misato grinned. “And if we are to keep his secret between us, it wouldn't be wise to be attracting attention.”
 
“After all, the Commander has more then one way to acquire information.” Ritsuko added.
 
“As should be expected.” Roy replied. “If I was the Commander, I wouldn't rely on just one person to acquire Intel.”
 
Ritsuko nodded. Then she turned the subject away from the Commander, and back to their situation. “Now, the bathrooms are down the hallway. If you need help using them, well, you could ask a nearby guard. Although I'm hoping that they should be similar to what you have in your world.”
 
Misato yawned. “Well, we should be going. We have to get up tomorrow and work on the remains of that Angel.”
 
“Yeah.” Ritsuko yawned too before she left. “Oh, and one last thing, try to avoid revealing things to the cameras when you're out. You probably have seen them. Those little devices that follow you around, has one lens…”
 
“Cameras?” Ed remembered seeing them around.
 
“You have cameras where you came from right?” Ritsuko asked.
 
“Yeah.” Hughes replied. He took out his picture of Elysia. “And we even have ones that make movies. I saw this really stupid movie where the woman was um…” He looked at Ritsuko who stared at him with indifference. Obviously wasn't interested in extending this conversation too long. “Anyways, using them for security purposes? Maybe after the fact but…”
 
“Well, ours are a little more advanced then that.” Ritsuko replied. “But it should be no different then what you have. Just that, ours are easier to record and in color too.” As she looked closer at Hughes picture, she did notice one thing interesting. “Seemed that they could make color pictures where they came from. If your world is around the time I was thinking…bah! I'll save that for another day!” She yawned again. “Well, I'm going home. See ya guys tomorrow!”
 
“Bye Doctor and Captain Katsuragi!” Al waved them away.
 
After the door closed, they all turned to each other and discussed their future at NERV.
 
“Colonel,” Ed was the first to speak up. “Why did you reveal that Armstrong and yourself were alchemist? You could've just allowed me to take the burden of helping them!”
 
“Why Fullmetal…” Roy grinned. “Did you really think I would allow you to have all the glory? Not to mention get on Captain Katsuragi's good side?”
 
Riza face faulted.
 
Ed frowned. “Is that all you think about?”
 
“Of course not Fullmetal.” Roy grinned. “Seriously, if I didn't reveal Armstrong and my abilities, then we would've been useless to them. Much like First Lieutenant Hawkeye and Lieutenant Colonel Hughes are to them. That would've kept us out of the loop and away from any pertinent information they might have.” Roy eyed Ed. “At least, for Armstrong and I.”
 
Riza dropped her head. She didn't like her position, but then again, she didn't have much of a choice.
 
Armstrong nodded. He had his arms crossed as he sat on his bunk. He ducked a bit under the top bunk due to his height. “And if we were kept out of the loop, then we wouldn't be able to protect you if they were to ever do something to you Edward.”
 
Hughes sat on his bunk and sighed. “Yeah. The best Lieutenant Hawkeye and I could do is to work as guards for them. Otherwise, you could say I'm on an extended vacation while my paperwork stacks up back in Central.”
 
“That reminds me,” Ed looked up at Hughes. “Why did you come down to Southern Vale while you had all that work to do?”
 
Hughes shrugged. “Felt like taking a break I guess. Also, Black Rose and his gang were quite a nuisance back in Central. Being the Good Samaritan that I am, I decided to help you guys catch them. Little did I know I would end up here?” Suddenly, he has images of what his desk might be like when he returned. “And with the amount of paperwork piling up, I'll never have a vacation for the next 50 years!” Streams of tears appeared on Hughes.
 
Roy grinned. “I wouldn't worry about that Hughes. Chances are, they probably think you're dead.”
 
Hughes eyes lit up then frowned. “If they think I'm dead, then so would my daughter…” Then his eyes lit up again. “Wait, if they think I'm dead, then we have people working on my paperwork!” Hughes started to fantasies about what might be happening right now. Two of his underlings would be working on the tons and tons of paperwork that he would normally be doing. His daughter and wife would be crying over his grave. Suddenly, he shows up and everyone was hugging him and cheering him on. His two underlings would say that they proudly worked on his paperwork and that they were proud to do it while they thought he was dead. His daughter would say he's the greatest and how she missed him. “I'll return a hero!” Hughes made a triumphant pose.
 
Meanwhile…in another Universe…
 
Central Headquarters - Hughes' Office
 
Warren Officer Vato Falman dumps a stack of papers on his desk.
 
Sheska was walking by when she sees this. “Um, Warren Officer, why are you dumping all that on Lieutenant Colonel Hughes' desk? He's currently MIA.”
 
Falman eyed Sheska. “If we didn't, then we'd be assuming he's dead. Do you want to assume that Lieutenant Colonel Hughes' is dead?”
 
“Eep!” Sheska thought about that. “No! He's still alive! I know it!”
 
“So do I and everyone else.” Falman replied. “Don't worry. I'm confident he'll be back to work on all this.”
 
Sheska nodded. “Yeah.”
 
Falman smiled and left Hughes office.
 
Sheska looked at the paper-covered desk. “Please be okay Lieutenant Colonel.”
 
Back in the other Universe…
 
NERV - Temporary Living Quarters
 
Roy was lying on his bed. “What I wasn't planning on talking about was the Philosopher's Stone.” Roy eyed Al.
 
Al's eyes widen in embarrassment. “Uh…I'm sorry! Hehehe.”
 
Roy closed his eyes. “Well, we can't do anything about that now. Besides, in exchange for us working on the Philosopher's Stone, NERV won't be bothering with you Al.”
 
“Yeah.” Ed smiled as his eyes became heavy.
 
“Colonel.” Riza asked with a little concern in her tone. “What about Hughes and I? What are we going to do?”
 
“Find out tomorrow I guess.” Roy yawned. “Right now, we should all get some sleep.”
 
Al sat staring at the top of the bunk. He was lying on the bottom given that, well, he's a heavy piece of armor. Taking the top would be a little much. As he stared at the bed in front of him, his mind wondered to a certain boy they haven't seen for a while. “Brother?”
 
“Yes Al?” Ed yawned.
 
“Do you think Shinji is okay?” Al asked worried.
 
Ed was too tired to really give a complete answer. But he tried at least. “I'm…” He yawns. “Not sure. We'll just have to find out…” Ed fell asleep.
 
Al sighed. “I hope he's alright brother. I really do.”
 
-------End of Chapter 3
 
Edits include elimination of the vast majority of the Author's Notes that were EXCESSIVELY long.
 
Next Chapter…well, I said that the question of where they will stay would be in this chapter. Never mind! Make that the next chapter!