Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Evangelion ❯ New Home ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-This is chapter 4 of my FMA/Eva story.
 
-I know these chapters seem to be coming out quickly here at Mediaminer. That's because I'm revising chapters that I have already written before, and were already at Fanfiction.net, before putting them up here. This is the second revised chapter I have planned in order to help correct some continuity errors (though, like the last chapter, I didn't actually correct anything. This means that the next chapter will definitely have more significant differences).
 
NERV Headquarters - Cafeteria
 
It was the next morning. After wondering the headquarters for a while, being completely lost in the massive complex, the Amestris group was finally led to the cafeteria by Second Lieutenant Maya Ibuki. Nothing unusual about the cafeteria, well, except for the drink dispenser that almost crushed Ed when he was rocking it back and forth in his futile attempt at getting a coke (apparently he didn't realize that you have to PUT money into the machine before you push the button). Luckily for Ed, Armstrong was there to prevent the shrimp from getting any smaller. After that little incident, they all got their food at the counter. Their eyes widened as they saw the meals that were being served. While to everyone else, the meals were average at best, for the Amestris group; it was a totally new experience for them.
 
“This curry stuff is really good!” Ed said while shoveling curry-flavored rice into his mouth. “We should take some of this stuff back when we get home! Right PRIVATE Mustang?”
 
“Speak for yourself Fullmetal.” Roy grinned at him. He too, was shoveling curry into his mouth. “I'm still a Colonel where we're from, and I'm still your superior.”
 
“Yeah yeah yeah!” Ed happily took another bite of his curry. He was enjoying Roy's reduced status here. “Tell that to the Doctor!”
 
Armstrong finished off his plate. “Too bad the portions here are quite small.”
 
“I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting you another!” Hughes replied with a grin.
 
While Ed, Roy, and the others were having their banter, Riza simply stared at her food. Only eating it every once in a while. She didn't say much since last night.
 
Al was just sitting next to them given that he couldn't eat anything in his metal body. As he looked around the room, the other workers of NERV were staring at them. He shrank a bit in his position.
 
Roy turned to his female subordinate and noticed her quietness. He though, knew exactly why she was depressed. “Look, I'm certain that Captain Katsuragi or Doctor Akagi can assign you to the security force. I'm sure they will appreciate someone with your skill joining their ranks!”
 
Riza sighed. “It's not just that Colonel. It's also…” She stopped.
 
Roy waited for her answer. “It's also what?”
 
However, standing next to them was Misato. She gave a little cough, causing the group turn to her.
 
Misato stood over them and held an expression of indifference. She spoke in a strict tone. “The Commander wants to see you three.” She indicated to the alchemist in the group.
 
NERV Headquarters - Hallway
 
The three, Roy, Armstrong, and Ed followed Misato down a corridor. “I heard that you guys got lost this morning trying to find your way to the cafeteria! Well, couldn't blame you! I got lost when I first came here. And I even had a map too!” Misato said in a more cheery voice then her strict tone before. `And, I still get lost a few times. Heheh…eh.'
 
“Yeah.” Ed spoke up. “This place is huge!”
 
As they were talking, a girl in a medical bed, who was being pushed by a nurse, passed by them. All three stared at the injured woman who had a bandage covering one eye, and one of her arms in a sling.
 
Misato answered the question that was probably on all three of their minds. “That was Rei Ayanami.”
 
“The First Child correct?” Armstrong spoke up as he looked for Misato for confirmation. She immediately confirmed his statement with a nod. “She seemed quite pale, and almost…fragile.”
 
“You said she was injured during a training exercise.” Ed frowned, as Rei was led to an elevator. “What guarantees that the same wouldn't have happened to Shinji? At least that girl had training.”
 
Misato lowered her head and cast her eyes down. “None of course. But…”
 
“Yeah yeah yeah.” Ed interrupted, still holding a deep frown. “You had no choice. I heard it before.”
 
Roy didn't want this day to start like this. After all, these were the people he would be working with soon in order to implement alchemy, and hopefully, get them home. However, he was still curious how these particular pilots were chosen. Given what he knew of Shinji, and from the appearance of Rei, they weren't exactly what you would call, `cream of the crop'. “Who exactly choose these pilots?”
 
Misato tapped her chin. “They were all chosen by the Marduk report! Don't bother asking me who they are or how they determine who pilots since, I do not know. All I know is, they were the ones that determined the three pilots.”
 
Ed continued to stare at where Rei went. `This just doesn't feel right. I hope to find out sooner rather then later to see what the hell is going on before it consumes us all.' Then, he turned back to what he presumed to be his future destination, and gave a cheery smile. “Well! Enough of that! Let's go and meet the Commander! We have things to do…people to see…”
 
Misato smiled. `Guy seems to have pretty quick mood swings!' “Well, here we go then!” She started walking towards the Commander's office when she stopped. “Oh, I almost forgot. Shinji's awake now.”
 
Ed stopped his advancement. “Is he alright?”
 
Misato smiled. “Yup! In fact, you three are going to meet him! He's currently waiting in Commander Ikari's office!”
 
Armstrong placed his hands on his cheeks. “Oh, a father and son meeting! I get misty eyed just thinking about it!”
 
Misato dropped her head again. “Yeah.”
 
Ed saw Misato's change of expression. A face of contempt washed over him. His bias against the commander returned. `Something tells me this meeting won't be a happy one.'
 
Commander Ikari's Office
 
Misato, Ed, Roy, and Armstrong all entered the strange room that was Commander Ikari's office. Above them was a strange diagram. Like, a kind of glowing mathematical tree of sorts. 10 circles in all, connected. At the bottom were feathery roots. In fact, the more Ed looked at it, the more familiar it appeared.
 
`It looked like…no. It couldn't be!' Ed was remembering the time when he saw the `True Knowledge'. It was the one that enabled him to use alchemy without an array. Where he met, god. `If it's the same design, then is this the connection between our two worlds? Is this why we were brought here when they failed to make the Philosopher's Stone? If that was the case, then why didn't we see him again? Or, at least, I see him? Was it because I've already seen `True Knowledge'? But what about the Colonel or the Major? Shouldn't they have seen it then? What could all this mean?'
 
Surrounding them was an opening overlooking the Geo Front. However, these design features didn't interest Roy much. It was however, the sheer size of the office that impressed him. This office was huge! Even Fuhrer Bradley didn't have this large of an office! Granted, having a huge mansion made it up, but still, I'm sure Fuhrer Bradley would still be jealous of an office like this! Roy certainly was. Though he wasn't exactly fond of the design above him. Unlike Ed, he had no idea what it could be.
 
`I'd certainly take that thing out!' Roy thought. As he looked at the image, he suddenly had an idea of having a nice huge picture of a woman in `respectable' clothing above him. `Certainly get rid of the creepy feeling I'm getting here.'
 
As the group walked in, Ed saw Shinji off to the sides, standing and waiting for his father. Ed waved at him. “Hey Shinji! Remember us?”
 
Shinji turned when he heard his voice. “Oh hi! I remember you! You're the short one! Ed…” Shinji stopped himself as Armstrong and Roy were forcibly holding Ed back. Shinji immediately shrank down. “I'm sorry!”
 
Misato giggled. “Better be careful Shinji! You know the pip-squeak is sensitive about his height.” She covered her mouth in mock embarrassment. “Oops! Did I let that out?”
 
Ed was now really incensed. “Who are you calling a pip-squeak you two timing…” Ed froze as he heard the sound of footsteps getting close to him.
 
Gendo Ikari walked up to the three alchemists. Each step echoed through his mostly empty office. His subordinate, Kozou Fuyutsuki, followed him in.
 
Gendo stared down at Edward and Roy with his cold glare. He couldn't do that to Armstrong though since he had to, stare up for him. “So these are the three alchemist that I have been hearing so much about. I am Commander Gendo Ikari of NERV. Standing behind me is my second in command, Deputy Commander Kozou Fuyutsuki!”
 
Ed did not like this man one bit. He looked into his eyes, and all he could see was coldness. Ed turned to see Shinji's reaction.
 
Shinji turned his head away, avoiding any eye contact with his father.
 
Ed knew they had issues to be settled. And since they're here then… He scowled at the Commander in front of him. `They're not here to patch things up since we're here.'
 
“That is right Commander! I'm Co…Private Roy Mustang at your service.” Roy saluted Gendo.
 
“I see you know your place at NERV already, Private Mustang!” Gendo looked down at Roy. “Although, to put you at ease, you're not a private either! You'll find your ranks when you are given your official documents.”
 
“Although the ranks are slightly different here, I'm sure that even if I had kept my rank, I would probably still be lower then you anyways.” Roy remarked. Roy eyed Ed at this moment, and he sees that Ed had a silly grin on his face. “By the way, this is Edward Elric, and Alex Louis Armstrong.”
 
Armstrong saluted Gendo. “I'm proud to be at your service.”
 
Edward just stared at him. He gave a low indifferent voice that contradicted his statement. “Pleasure meeting you Commander.”
 
“Pleasure is all mine. I have seen all your skills.” Gendo continued. “I am mighty impressed by what you three can do. Especially with what the short one can do.” He stared down at Ed.
 
“Who are you calling sho…?” Ed was waving his arms around like a madman. All the while, both Armstrong were both trying to keep him quiet and hold him down.
 
“I apologize for Mister Elric's behavior Commander.” Roy gave an embarrassed smile. “You see, he's a little sensitive about his…height.”
 
“I see.” Gendo gave Edward another cold stare. “I'll keep that in mind the next time we meet.” He turned to all three of them. “I expect great things from the three of you.” He turned around and started to leave.
 
Ed turned to look at Shinji. Shinji was fighting back tears that threatened to fall. `That bastard!' “Excuse me Commander Ikari! You forgot to acknowledge someone!” Ed screamed out in contempt.
 
Gendo and Kozou stopped their advancements. A heavy silence descended room.
 
Misato began fidgeting as the agonizing silence took hold. `Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?'
 
Roy and Armstrong were now deeply afraid. Well, neither one really showed it…much. But neither one was sure what the Commander was going to do next either.
 
Ed was seething with rage as he waited for what Gendo Ikari would do next.
 
Finally, after a tense silence, and without turning back, Gendo spoke to Shinji. “Will you pilot Eva Unit 01 from now on?”
 
Shinji didn't look up. “Yes father.”
 
“Good.” Gendo continued to walk out of his office. “That's all I wanted to hear.” The door slammed shut as he left.
 
Ed shut his automail fist as it started shaking with rage. “IS THAT ALL YOU'RE GOING TO SAY? HE'S YOUR SON!” Ed was ready to kick that arrogant and heartless bastard if it wasn't for both Roy and Armstrong holding him back.
 
Misato just stood in silence. She too, wasn't happy about this situation. `Bastard!' But she knew that she couldn't do anything. And looking at the three, at least the two adults knew as well. `I hope the shrimp is careful with what he does.'
 
After Gendo and Kozou left, another man came in. “The Commander sent me to give you all your proper documents and permanent residence.” He handed them an envelope filled with made up personal information, and an address of where they would be staying in this world.
 
Edward looked at the papers. There was one for him, and even one for Alphonse, who was noted as being `older' than Edward. `Can't be helped! It would look real ackward if people thought he was younger due to his…' Ed shut his eyes as he kept mentally kicking himself over the `handicap' he was trying not to think about. Continuing in the documents, they were apparently born in Bonn, Germany. Their parents were `conveniently' killed in a car accident. Both had a guardian that worked for the NERV branch there, and was recently transferred to Japan, coincidently, during the time Shinji arrived. Apparently Ed, following in his guardian's footsteps, joined up with NERV to do some research given his amazingly gifted mind. However, due to an accident in one of the labs, he lost both an arm and a leg. The accident also caused Al's injuries, though this was supposed to be, top secret. `Top-secret information for an event that never happened.' Ed mentally noted as he continued to look at his documents. It also contained a security pass, which noted the he was an Ensign, but only for Ed. Al was considered a civilian that, due to `extremely sensitive skin' caused by the non-existent accident, and a `strange fetish' of wearing armor, this gave him reason NOT to be bothered by the police. Both had their picture there, though Al's picture was obviously faked. His picture showed a human face appearing through a helmet less armor in what was apparently a darkened room. The picture showed a fake pale face with a few burns on it. Ed was a little surprised by the fake picture since it looked like it could really be his brother! A bit, not in good condition, and not necessarily what Al would've looked like at this age, but definitely someone related. `I wonder how they faked it?' Then he noticed something under guardianship…
 
Roy and Armstrong, relieved that their meeting with the Commander went, mostly smoothly, no help from Edward Elric of course, they too, looked at the documents handed to them. Roy raised an eyebrow. Inside was a security card that showed his picture and his rank. He apparently received a promotion without even knowing it. He, Second Lieutenant Roy Mustang, worked for the German branch of NERV until his recent transfer to Japan along with his wife, Riza Hawkeye… “WIFE?” Roy's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets.
 
“Well, they had to come up with a reason why a civilian would be a part of your group.” Misato cheerfully replied.
 
“I am so going to be fucked over this,” Roy said as he was imaging what horrible situation was going to happen when he tells Riza their new identities. He could just imagine running in fear as Riza, with a machine gun, was shooting his poor butt behind him. And somehow, he fails to dodge a bullet, hitting a certain important part of him. Later, due to massive blood lose, he dies and was given a nice funeral for him with full honors. He could even imagine his epitaph. Colonel Roy Mustang. Wanted to be Fuhrer, but died by massive blood loss below the waist instead. See Fuhrer Riza Hawkeye for details. “Can't you make her a guard or something?”
 
“We could.” Misato replied with a mischievous grin. “But then it still wouldn't change the fact that she's your wife in our little scenario. After all, who would transfer to NERV for guard duty?”
 
Roy hung his head. “My life is flashing before my eyes.”
 
While Roy received an unexpected promotion, and a…wife with his transfer, Armstrong wasn't as lucky. He too, was assigned to the NERV branch in Germany before transferring to Japan. Although here it simply stated that he was a former body builder model turned scientist, his rank was that of Warren Officer, it still put him above Edward, but under Roy. As he looked through the information handed to him, he noticed something else. “Edward Elric…”
 
Ed slowly turned his head to Armstrong with a little fear. “Yes?”
 
Armstrong gave Ed a commanding hug. “YOU CAN CALL ME DADDY FROM NOW ON!”
 
Ed's eyes nearly bulged out. Not only from the shock of being with him, but Armstrong's hug was so strong, Ed couldn't breath. “MAJOR…”
 
“I always wanted to have children!” Streams of tears poured down Armstrong's face. “Now I will take care of you and Al!”
 
“Can't breath…” Ed was struggling under Armstrong's embrace.
 
“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh how nice!” Misato giggled. “Big guy has a heart!” She smiled until she noticed Shinji looking at his papers. `I wonder what's his status?'
 
While Ed and Armstrong were having their lovely dubbie, Roy looked at Hughes's papers. Like Riza, he too, was marked as civilian. However, in this case, NERV made him a journalist working for, of all places, NERV. Though he was still a civilian, apparently, to help with their PR, NERV `secretly' hires journalist to make it appear that they are giving everything they can. “Well, at least he's sort of on the inside I guess. But journalist huh? Knowing Hughes, and given that this is an organization that wants to keep things hidden from the public, sounds like a recipe for disaster.”
 
After struggling free from Armstrong's grasp, and kicking him back to prevent another `friendly hug', he turned to the man that gave them their papers. “Why couldn't Al be my guardian?”
 
The man turned to him. “I was not the one who determined your identity and your living arrangements here.”
 
Ed turned back to a beaming Armstrong, while he had streams of tears raining down his face. That's when his mind snapped back to Shinji. His ears especially perked up when he heard what Misato said.
 
“You're living alone Shinji?” Misato asked with a tinge of shock in her voice.
 
“Yeah.” Shinji replied in a low, almost reserved tone. “I'm used to it so it wouldn't be a problem for me!”
 
Misato dropped her head. `Bastard wouldn't even take his own son in! There must be something I could do?' Suddenly, she had an idea.
 
All three of the alchemist in the room turned to Shinji.
 
Ed scowl deepened. “Bastard wouldn't even take in his own son!” He said to himself. Suddenly, he had an idea. “You know Shinji, if you want, you could stay with…”
 
“I'm taking him in!” Misato fervently replied.
 
The three alchemists, as well as Shinji, stood wide-eyed by Misato's request.
 
“You sure about this?” The man that handed them their documentation asked.
 
Misato nodded. “I have no problems taking him in.” She turned to Shinji. “There's nothing wrong with this right Shinji?”
 
Shinji blinked a few times before he realized he was asked a question. “Huh? Oh, no! No problem at all.”
 
Armstrong had streams of tears flowing down his eyes. “Oh Captain, you're so selfless!”
 
“I'll say.” Roy replied. He looked back at Misato, then at Shinji. `You lucky dog.' “Hey Shinji! Mind if we trade places?”
 
Ed face faulted when he heard Roy's request.
 
Armstrong stared down at Roy. “Um, Col…Second Lieutenant Mustang, what about your wife?”
 
Now Roy face faulted. “She is not my…”
 
Later…
 
NERV Headquarters - Undisclosed Room
 
“WIFE?” The normally reserved First Lieutenant, now civilian, Riza Hawkeye yelled. She stared daggers at Roy.
 
“Pipe down First Lieutenant!” Roy gritted as everyone in the next room turned to them. They were placed in a nominally safe room in which there were no cameras or other listening devices were fixed. However, it wasn't sound proof and the people in the next room could see what they were doing through the windows. While they couldn't hear them if they kept to a low voice, anything higher then that, could easily get out. “First Lieutenant, it wasn't like I choose this!”
 
“Wow Colonel…I mean Second Lieutenant! You bagged First Lieutenant Hawkeye huh? I knew you two would get married!” Hughes teased.
 
Roy turned to his so-called friend. He replied to him in a low threatening tone. “Hughes…”
 
“Second Lieutenant?” Ed was incensed. “You're still ranked higher then me?”
 
“What did you expect ENSIGN Edward Elric?” Roy grinned. However, that grin was short lived.
 
“And it's civilian Hawkeye now...Second Lieutenant Mustang and civilian Hughes!” Riza composed herself as she straightened up her jacket. “At least it was nice of the Captain to give me a gun permit. Especially since I'm currently not in any law enforcement agency. NERV, military, or civilian.”
 
“She gave you…” Roy again saw his life flash before his eyes.
 
“Yeah. Civilian Hughes. I'm just a lowly journalist trying to ensure that NERV's secrets are kept just that huh?” Hughes gave a sigh. He looked at his press pass. “Well, I guess I'll still be visiting.”
 
At the moment, Armstrong was hugging Al. “I'm going to take good care of you Al!”
 
Al was wide-eyed. At least, it appeared to be wide-eyed. “Um, Major, you know that this is just a cover right?”
 
Ed sighed. “Well, at least we know who we are and where we're staying.”
 
“Yeah.” Mustang eyed Riza who was still seething. “Too bad Shinji got the better deal. He's staying at Captain Misato's.”
 
This seemed to piss off Riza even more. “What are you implying Second Lieutenant?”
 
“Oh no! Infidelity already!” Hughes patted his cheeks before turning, slightly more serious. “Remember Co…Second Lieutenant, you're a married man now! You shouldn't be straying to other woman! Especially with your wife in front of you! Not as good as my wife but still…”
 
“WE'RE NOT…” Riza composed herself again as everyone in the next room turned to them. “We're not married. And what do you mean not as good as your wife?”
 
Roy was trying to hold back a punch that was threatening to come out. “Co…civilian Hughes…”
 
However, Al stopped the conversation when he brought up the topic Shinji. “Wait, so Shinji's okay? And why is he staying at Captain Katsuragi's place? Why not his father? Wasn't he the Commander?”
 
Edward lowered his head. “Yeah. Shinji's okay, at least physically. He was `meeting' with the Commander!” Ed emphasized meeting, and he specifically avoided using the term father. “The Commander only cared that Shinji would pilot that stupid weapon! He didn't even acknowledge his presence when we were there! I had to remind him of that! And to add insult to injury, the bastard wouldn't even take in his own son!”
 
The group was now in total silence. A pin drop could've easily been heard at this point.
 
Al lowered his head. He was beginning to feel more and more sorry for Shinji.
 
Hughes gritted his teeth. Now he really hated the Commander. He was, however, thinking back to the time when he investigated the Tucker incident. Tucker at least, might have the excuse that he needed to sacrifice his daughter to keep up his current living status and to stay within his order by Basque Gran. A horrible inadequate excuse of course, but at least he wasn't in charge of an organization! The Commander, with his power, couldn't find time for his son?
 
Finally, after standing in silence for a while, Armstrong spoke up. “Maybe it is for the best, for the both of them.”
 
Roy didn't like it any better then the rest. But he had to agree to that. “Given the circumstances, I'd have to agree.”

Edward lowered his head again. “Yeah.”
 
At that moment, Ritsuko entered the room. “Wow! From what I was hearing, this place was full of commotion! Now it seemed like it just, died in here!”
 
They all wearily turned to Ritsuko.
 
“You could say that.” Ed replied. He chuckled a bit trying to lighten the mood. “I guess everyone is just worried how we are going to do on the surface!”
 
Ritsuko smiled. “Not to worry. Since the Elric brothers and Warren Officer Armstrong live in the same apartment complex, I'm sending Second Lieutenant Maya Ibuki as your escort and, cultural advisor to you.” She turned to the other group, Hughes, Riza, and Roy. “As for you three, we were able to find two apartments in the same building. It's close to Misato's apartment but she's currently taking Shinji to her place right now. So I've assigned Second Lieutenant Makoto Hyuga as your escort and cultural advisor.”
 
Later…
 
Maya, Armstrong, and Elric's Apartment Building
 
“And here is your apartment!” Maya smiled as she presented them their apartment. “I assume it is pretty empty right now so there's not much there at the moment. Though I believe NERV was kind enough to have a few basic furniture and cots for you to use.” `Certainly more then what they gave me! And I lived here!' She mentally frowned as she looked up at the two tall men, one that stood as their guardian, and the other, was the poor man with the strange fetish, and skin disease. “It's a…little small, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hehehe.”
 
Armstrong shook Maya's hand. “It was a pleasure to have you escort us here!”
 
“Well, if you need me, I'm just two doors down this way!” She pointed in one direction. “You could also knock to say hello too!” Maya shyly added.
 
Ed entered the small apartment. He was about to continue but stopped at the first step. “I'm supposed to take my shoes off right?”
 
“Well…” Maya began as she thought about her answer. “It isn't necessary I guess given that you're all foreigners, and this is your apartment, but traditionally, it was the way we've been doing it! Take off your shoes before the step, and then put on some slippers!” She looked inside and noticed that there were no slippers. “Or, walk barefoot is fine.”
 
“Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with taking them off! Though Al there can't do anything with his problem.” Ed took off his shoes and walked through the apartment.
 
Maya blinked as she saw his foot. “It must've been a horrible accident to leave you like that.”
 
“Huh?” Ed turned back to Maya when he heard that.
 
“Your leg and arm.” Maya frowned. “The accident in the lab at the NERV branch in Germany. It was also why your brother is the way he is.”
 
Ed blinked before he realized about his fake life. “Oh! Oh yeah. It was horrible. Consequence of being a gifted kid genius! Heh! By the way, wasn't the part about Al's…”
 
Maya backed up a bit. “Um, I only quickly peeked! I know it wasn't something that…”
 
Ed smiled back at her. “It's okay! I won't tell the Doctor.”
 
Maya sighed in relief. “Thank you Edward.”
 
Al nodded. “Yeah, and about me…”
 
Ed lowered his head. “Don't worry Al. I'll get you back to the way you were! I promise!”
 
Maya smiled. `These two seemed really close.' “I'm sure you'll find a way to cure Al of his skin disease. Oh, and maybe your height…”
 
Ed stopped and glared at Maya.
 
Maya remembered in the document that was given to her warned her that Edwards was, sensitive about his height. “I mean! I'm not implying that, you know, and…just hope you find a cure for Al! That's all!” She gave an embarrassed smile.
 
Ed calmed down, smiled again. “Yeah. I will find the cure.” After he finished talking to Maya, he entered their new apartment. He flipped a switch that lighted the room. The apartment was mostly empty. And it was small, even for their standards. As he walked through the apartment, he noticed that each one could have a room to them self. Small rooms granted, but their own rooms to use. As he looked through the rooms, he noticed that the cots were on the floor. “Guess we'll all be sleeping on the ground for now on.”
 
Armstrong looked at the telephone sitting on a desk. As he stared closely at it, it seemed similar, yet, different then the ones that they used in Amestris. For one thing, instead of a rotary, there were buttons. “Excuse my Second Lieutenant…”
 
“You don't have to be official with me here since I am at the moment, off duty. You can just call me Maya.” Maya smiled at him.
 
“Maya then.” He looked back at the telephone and then back to Maya. “So to make a call, you just push the buttons here?”
 
Maya blinked at the big guy's strange question. “Um, yeah. Haven't you used a phone before?”
 
“Yeah but…” Armstrong stopped himself. “Well, yeah! Um…”
 
Ed looked at this. He wanted to save the Major…ummm…Warren Officer of more embarrassment. “Oh, well you see, he's been still using those old rotary phones! Refuses to upgrade!”
 
Maya eyes widened in complete surprise. “You're kidding me! You're still using an old rotary phone? Those are antiques now! They haven't been used for decades!”
 
“Yes it's true!” Streams of tears poured down Armstrong's face. “I just gotten so used to the bells when a call comes in, the feel of the brass receiver on my skin, the movement of the dial as I rotate the number…”
 
“Um Armstrong,” Al whispered to him. “I think you're over doing it a little!”
 
Maya didn't notice Al's whispering to him. “It's alright…Alex, can I call you Alex?” She watched Armstrong nod before continuing. “Yeah. It's as simple as that! Don't have to `dial' in the number! Hehehe. Well, we still call it dialing but, um…yeah. Just punch in the number and you're done! Oh, and I also have cell phones for all of you.” She handed them all a cell phone. “Ummmm, it's a little more complicated to make a call from these…”
 
Ed looked at the small thing. “You're kidding me? This is a phone?”
 
“You haven't seen these either?” Maya blinked. “Wow! You're really behind on the times. Then you're definitely going to need this!” She hands them a manual for the cell phones.
 
Ed scratched the back of his head. “Yeah! Being stuck with Majo…ummmm…Alex here really set us back a bit! Hehehe.” Ed examined the cell phone he was holding. “Amazing! It's so small! Winry would love to get a hold of this!”
 
“Who's Winry?” Maya asked.
 
“Um…” Ed started to sweat. “She's my…mechanic!”
 
“Mechanic? What do you mean by…” Suddenly she blinked and remembered Ed's prosthetic arm and leg. “Oh! The one that made your prosthetics!” Though she did find it odd that she was referred to as a mechanic. Then again, in a way, that's exactly what she was. `From what I've read, she should've been on the cover of Popular Science or some medical journal. Every man, woman, and child would probably be clamoring for one of her prosthetic limbs! Well, maybe something different then the metal look that was used for Ed, but still… Wonder why NERV is keeping that under wraps?'
 
“Yeah!” Armstrong beamed. “And she would make a fine wife someday!”
 
Ed froze in position. “She is not my girlfriend! She is just my mechanic!”
 
Maya giggled. It was obviously that there was something between Edward and Winry, at least, on this side. “But Edward, he didn't say anything about her being your girlfriend!”
 
Edward fell, stuck in his frozen position.
 
Al scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. “Uhhehehe.”
 
Maya continued to giggle.
 
Suddenly, both Armstrong and Ed's stomachs rumbled. Ed got up and checked the fridge. It was empty. “Um, Miss Ibuki?”
 
“Just call me Maya!” Maya replied to the boy.
 
“Maya, would you mind taking us someplace to eat? Since we just moved in, we don't have any groceries yet.” Ed gave an embarrassed smile. “It would be our treat!”
 
Maya blinked. Suddenly, her stomach rumbled. “Well, I know this really cheap place…”
 
Meanwhile…
 
Riza, Roy, and Hughes Apartment Building
 
“Here you are!” Makoto showed them their apartments. “This one is for Roy and Riza Mustang…”
 
“Hawkeye.” Riza corrected.
 
Makoto blinked. “Oh! You're one of those couples that take the female's family name! Just like the Commander! Well then…”
 
Roy stopped Makoto. “No. We're keeping our separate names.”
 
Makoto blinked. “Or, you could be one of those couples that don't change their names after marriage!” Makoto gave an embarrassed smile. “A lot of people are like that nowadays. Especially with the divorce rate rising!”
 
“And it's about to get even higher.” Riza commented offhand.
 
Roy was about to enter his apartment when Hughes stopped him.
 
“Hold it there Col…Second Lieutenant Mustang!” Hughes stopped Roy from advancing. “Remember to take off your shoes before entering your new home!”
 
Roy looked at Hughes, then his feet. While he knew that this was not really necessary, has to do with the local culture and all, he decided to do it anyways. Wasn't that big of a deal in the first place. Especially since, if they were to visit other people's home, they would probably have to do it anyways. Out of respect at least. Roy took off his shoes and entered the apartment. The apartment was mostly empty with the exception of a few furniture pieces here and there. As he peered into one of the rooms, he noticed a cot on the floor. “Second Lieutenant Hyoga…”
 
“You can just call me Makoto!” Makoto commented. “I'm pretty much off duty right now.”
 
“Makoto then.” Roy turned to him. “You said that traditionally, Japanese people slept on the floor…”
 
Makoto nodded. “Yes. But don't worry, while most still sleep on the floor, you are seeing more and more western style beds popping up! I'm sure you're used to those right? One is in the master bedroom for you and your wife!”
 
Riza walked into the master bedroom. “I'm taking this one, Mustang!”
 
Makoto blinked. “Um…” He turned to Roy who was still in the guest room. “I take it you don't get along well with your wife much right now.”
 
“You could say that!” Hughes answered for him behind them. “But don't worry! I'm here to…”
 
Roy threw the NERV handbook at him.
 
Hughes rubbed his head. “Just trying to save your marriage here!”
 
“HUGHES!” Roy growled.
 
Makoto stared at the two. “Ummm…anyways, if you need us…”
 
Roy checked the closet. “Oh, that reminds me, we need to buy some clothes.”
 
Makoto blinked. He realized something was missing when he brought them to their apartments. “You don't have extra clothes? What happened to them?”
 
Roy sighed. `Now to see if my acting skills are any good.' “The stupid…airline lost them. They said that they couldn't find it and so, gave us some insurance money to…buy some new ones. Good thing I kept all my personal stuff with me or we'd all be screwed.”
 
“And lucky me. I was on the same airline.” Hughes gave a fake angry look.
 
“That sucks.” Makoto replied. “Well, I, and Aoba know a few good stores to get new clothes. Other than the um, strange ones you're wearing. Do they actually wear that kind of outfits in Germany?”
 
Roy shook his head. “No um…we were all a part of a…costume contest before we boarded the plane. It ran a little late so we, couldn't change.”
 
“I see!” Makoto smiled. “Well, I guess I should be heading on my way! If you need any more help, well, you have my number, Aoba's, and the Captain's ready if need be.”
 
“Captain huh?” Roy looked at the phone. It was a little different from the ones they used. Mainly, instead of the dial, it had buttons, but he was sure he could figure out how to use it. `Just push the buttons right?' Though there are a few other buttons then just numbers. `I'll figure out what they do later.' He was more interesting in the numbers. He spotted it right away. “Captain Misato Katsuragi.”
 
Hughes coughed. “Uh hem.”
 
Roy stared at him.
 
“Nevermind! I'll be going to my apartment!” Hughes started to head towards his apartment.
 
“Oh, almost forgot.” Makoto came back and handed them a small device. “These are your cell phones!”
 
“Cell phones?” Roy looked at the small thing in front him. “Where's the cord?”

Makoto blinked in surprise. “You're kidding me? You haven't seen a cell phone before? Heck, you haven't even seen a cordless phone before?”
 
“We've been…behind the times back in Germany!” Hughes embarrassedly commented.
 
“I didn't think Germany was this far behind…” Makoto thought about this for a few moments before he returned his attention to the group. “Well, to help you out, here's the manual!” He hands them the manual for the cell phone.
 
Riza came back into the room. “Looks like we need to buy some food. Say Makoto…”
 
Makoto turned to Riza. “Yes ma'am?”
 
“Mind coming with me to the grocery store?” She asked. “Since we're…new here, I'd liked your opinion on what I should get.”
 
Makoto gave an embarrassed smile. “Um, well, you see, being a bachelor and all, I don't…”
 
“It's okay.” Riza commented. “Anything would be fine right now.”
 
“I guess I'll be going with you too!” Hughes replied. “I need to filler up on food too.”
 
“I guess.” Makoto wasn't sure about this. After all, all he buys are instant noodles, frozen foods, and canned food. Otherwise, he eats out with his limited fast food budget. “There's a grocery store at the corner so we can head there.”
 
Meanwhile…
 
Beef Noodle House
 
“Mmmmmmmmm.” Ed was shoveling noodles into his mouth. “This ramen stuff is really good! I'm liking this country already.”
 
“Heheh.” Maya also slurped up her noodles. “It's…not the best, but at these prices…”
 
“It's okay Maya!” Armstrong ate another full bowl of noodles. “Until our salary has been determined, we can't afford to go to a more expensive restaurant!”
 
“Yeah!” Maya took another slurp of her noodles before she noticed that Al didn't order any noodles, and wasn't eating anything. “Um, isn't Al hungry?”
 
Al turned his body to her. “Um…”
 
“He can't eat normal foods due to the accident.” Ed replied in a low voice.
 
“Oh. I'm sorry.” Maya went back to her noodles. She then eyed Al again. “Um, I guess your brother feels like he's responsible for putting you in there huh?”
 
Al looked at Maya again. “What do you mean?”
 
“Um…” Maya felt even more concerned. “Well, you like armor and all but…um…I…I looked and notice that it was Ed that was doing those experiments and you weren't supposed to be there.” Maya was in full panic mode. “I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself! It was more then a quick glance…”
 
“Hehehe.” Ed giggled a bit. “It's okay. I won't tell the Doctor that either. But yeah.” He dropped his head. “It was my fault that he's the way that he is and that's why I'm looking so hard for the…cure in order to restore his body. Um, back to the way it was before.”
 
“And when we do, we're going to have a feast ready for you Alphonse Elric!” Armstrong proudly replied.
 
“And I'll be there to celebrate!” Maya smiled. “Um, if you want me to.”
 
Ed grinned. “Sure Maya! You're invited when that happens.”
 
Roy and Riza's Apartment
 
Roy sat on the couch. His stomach complained. “When is Hawkeye coming back?” Suddenly, he heard the sound of keys being fumbled, them being entered into a lock, then being turned, and then the door swinging open. She was carrying a full bag of groceries. “Honey! You're home! So, what's for dinner tonight?”
 
Riza scowled at him. She handed him a little cup filled with dry noodles. “Here! Follow the instructions!”
 
Roy caught the cup and looked at it. “Instant noodles?” He looked at the directions. Unfortunately, unlike what the name implied, they weren't exactly instant. “Boil some water? How am I going to do that?”
 
Riza pointed to the kitchen. “With a kettle and some water. Put it on the stove. Oh, and turn on the stove too! Got it?”
 
Roy sighed. “Fine.” He looked at the kettle, and then at the stove. He filled the kettle and put it on the stove. And yes, he turned it on. After waiting a few minutes, his stomach complained again. “This is taking too long.” So he snapped his fingers and created a spark. He used alchemy to make the fire bigger.
 
Suddenly, the curtain caught on fire.
 
“Uh oh.” Roy watched as the fire started to spread. The fire alarm went off.
 
“What the heck was that sound?” Riza ran out and saw the ever growing infernal appear. “MUSTANG! WHAT DID YOU DO?”
 
“I was trying to boil water!” Streams of tears appeared on Roy's face.
 
Hughes Apartment
 
“Gotta say, these instant food are wonderful at a time like this!” Hughes was eating his cooked instant ramen. He took out a picture of his wife and daughter and stared nearly teary eyed at it. “Not as good as your cooking, but good enough for someone who can't exactly cook.” Suddenly, the smell of smoke filled the room. “What the?” Then the fire alarm went off. “Must've been Mustang.” He sighed.
 
Meanwhile…in another Universe…
 
Outside what used to be Southern Vale
 
Standing guard at the entrance of what was once Southern Vale, were two military soldiers. Each soldier made sure any onlookers couldn't get past them as the military investigates exactly want happened to the town. The town itself was nothing more than a creator. Off to the side in the nearby woods, stood a woman with long black hair, and an ouroboros tattoo on her chest. Standing next to her was a short stocky man whose only interest seemed to be eating. And next to them was a man, or woman, staring into the abyss that was once Southern Vale.
 
Lust stood there with her arms crossed. “I knew it was a mistake to let those fools try and make a Philosopher's Stone. Now we even lost the shrimp.”
 
Envy stared at the remains of the town. “Do you think he's gone? As well as the town?”
 
Lust shrugged. “Who knows? Something happened here, but we're let the military find that out. Right now, we have to find someone that can take that shrimp's place.” She turned to the dark forest. “Come Gluttony.”
 
Gluttony nodded and followed Lust into the forest.
 
Envy crossed his or her arms. “And we were so close.”
 
Meanwhile…
 
On a Train out of Risenbool
 
Winry sat staring into out the window as the scenery passed by. “Stupid Al and Edward! Getting lost like that!” Although news normally traveled slowly to her parts, this one spread like wildfire. Seemed that an entire town disappeared overnight. How and for what reason no one knows. All they know was, that the entire population was gone. Included in the disappearance were a number of alchemists. Including a famous one that went by the name of Fullmetal. “They can't be gone! They just can't!” A single tear trickled down her face. “I'll find them! And I'll kick their ass in making me come all the way over there too!”
 
-------End of Chapter 4
 
This chapter is considerably more polish and cleaned up than what it was before (and what it appeared at FFN). Other than grammar, one of the revisions concerned rank. I made Junior Lieutenant Armstrong into Warren Officer. Small addition maybe, but now it is in line with real military rankings.
 
Next chapter…it's the start of their first official day in their new lives. Oh, and look! Edward has to go to school! People are going to learn fast that you shouldn't call Edward short! Especially a certain classmate by the name of…well, until next time! Later!