Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Evangelion ❯ The First Day NERV ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-This is Chapter 5 of my FMA/Eva story.
 
-On with the story!
 
Riza and Roy's Apartments
 
Ritsuko really didn't want to be there. She was getting ready to take her beauty nap, until she got a call from NERV about a little, `problem' at one of the new `transfers' apartments. She had to get up early the next morning to dissect the amount of data that she received from the Evas. She also had to prepare for integrating these, `Alchemist' into NERV. All planned in the morning. But given that these were her new subordinates, subordinates that she was trying to keep semi-secret from the public (the most that NERV would allow out was the fact that they all worked for them), she didn't have much of a choice here. She looked at the now blackened kitchen. The place was extensively damaged. It would've been worse if it wasn't for some quick thinking by Hughes getting a hose, and, with the help of Roy's alchemy (while his specialty was everything that dealt with fire, he does know a few things about the other areas of alchemy), they were able to get the fire out before the firefighters arrived. It took a while to get the fire department to keep this `hush hush' between them, but in the end, their secret was safe, for now. With them out of the way, she cast her tired eyes at the one responsible for it. “So you used your alchemy to try and speed up the boiling process.”
 
Roy gave a slightly embarrassed expression to Ritsuko. “Yes Doctor.”
 
Ed was grinning wildly. While he was slightly annoyed being forced to come here, seeing what the Colonel, now Second Lieutenant had done, made up for that. He just enjoyed seeing the arrogant power hungry Second Lieutenant in a very awkward position. “Causing trouble already Second Lieutenant?”
 
Roy dangerously eyed Ed. “Remember, I'm still your superior!”
 
“And I'm both your superiors.” Ritsuko's voiced, while not loud, it still boomed inside Roy and Ed's ear. They shrank in fear. “Now, can either of you fix this?”
 
Ed grinned wildly again. “Oh! I can do that!” Ed clapped his hands, and placed them on the floor. In a matter of seconds, the damage was reversed. “See? This is what I've been doing all throughout my time with the Colonel! Oh, I mean Second Lieutenant! Ho Ho Ho!”
 
Roy gritted his teeth. `Trying to score points with the doctor you little…'
 
Ritsuko smiled. “I see that we are going to have a wonderful working relationship together Edward. In fact, I think YOU should've been made Second Lieutenant!” Ritsuko watched as this gave a rise out of Roy. She ignored that and turned to Riza. “Now Miss Hawkeye, I'm beginning to see why Misato gave you a gun permit.”
 
Roy stood up straight when he heard that.
 
“Keep an eye on the Second Lieutenant for me!” Ritsuko smiled evilly. “Make sure he stays out of trouble outside of NERV.”
 
Riza cocked her gun. “Will do ma'am!”
 
Roy was at a lost. “Bu…”
 
Riza eyed her `husband'. “Is there something wrong `honey'?”
 
Roy sweated before finally dropping his shoulders. “No.”
 
Hughes came up behind them and hugged them. “Well, don't worry you two! I'm going to make sure that things will be patched up between the two of you in no time!”
 
Riza looked away in defiance.
 
Roy eyed Hughes with an annoyed glance. “Maes!”
 
Hughes smiled innocently. “I'm going back to my apartment! If you need my counseling, you know where to find me!” He quickly leaves Riza and Roy's apartment.
 
Roy looked at the departing Hughes and sighed. Suddenly his stomach growled. “Umm…”
 
Riza eyed Roy. “You can boil water again. But THIS time, do it normally!”
 
Although he didn't have to be there, Al still came along to see what was up. Armstrong was sleeping like a baby when Ritsuko called. Al, being a piece of armor, couldn't really sleep. Since he had nothing better to do, he went with Ed on this trip to Riza and Roy's apartment. He had to admit, seeing Roy's mess was amusing. “Or, you can use alchemy…” He approached the kettle full or water. After drawing an array on it, he touched it, and voila, instant hot water.
 
Ed chuckled. “Yup! By adding energy and speeding up the water molecules, instant boiling water! Using alchemy the right way! Right Second Lieutenant?”
 
Roy gritted his teeth again. “Even Al is making fun of me!”
 
Ritsuko also chuckled a bit. She almost felt sorry for Roy. Almost. Then she looked at her watch, it was getting late so she heading out the door. “Well, I guess I can finally go home and get some sleep.” However, before she left, she stopped in front of Al. She knocked on his armor. “And we still need to do something about this. If we are to keep this secret, we can't have a hollow sounding armor walking around.”
 
Ed walked up next to Al and Ritsuko. “Yeah. But whatever do, it must not touch the seal.”
 
“The Seal?” Ritsuko was slightly confused by what Edward meant, until she remembered what he said earlier. “Oh! Oh yeah! The seal.”
 
Al took his helmet head off. “This is the seal that binds me to this armor.” Al pointed to it. “If this goes, I go.”
 
Ritsuko nodded. “I see. Well, we can't have that. So whatever we do, mustn't rub up against it.” As she looked closer, she noticed that it looked like… “It looks like blood.”
 
Ed nodded. “Yeah. My blood.”
 
“That might explain why you two are so close.” Ritsuko thought out loud. As Ritsuko looked at the seal more, a question was beginning to form in her mind. “Say Ed, Al? Do you have any idea where your memories go?”
 
Ed looked at Ritsuko oddly. “Hey! I thought you were done with Al?”
 
“I am.” Ritsuko defended. “As far as NERV is concerned, he's nothing to them. And even then, I don't think I could find anything more about Al at NERV anyways, beyond that MRI scan. But that still doesn't mean that I don't have questions.” As she looked up and down Al, she still couldn't see it. “You remember everything before you became armor right?”
 
Al shook his head. “Not everything. But I do know a lot. Why?”
 
“What about afterwards? All your adventures with Ed?” Ritsuko continued.
 
Al nodded his head again. “Yup! From Ed becoming a State Alchemist, helping the coal miners, stopping that fake Priest, meeting Scar, I remember all that!”
 
Ed raised an eyebrow. “What are you getting at Doctor?”
 
Ritsuko tapped her chin. “Well, you know that people and animals form memories in the brain. But Al doesn't have a brain.”
 
“Yeah. But…” Ed's eyes widened. He was finally seeing where Ritsuko was getting at. “So where are his memories going?”
 
Ritsuko looked at the armor again. “Al, do you, lose memories when you are damaged?”
 
Al thought about it. “I…don't think so.”
 
“So, it isn't stored in your armor.” Ritsuko concluded. “Then where?”
 
Al's eyes widened. “Does this mean that my body is still out there? And that I'm somehow connected to it?”
 
Ed thought about the night he was taken. “But how? Wasn't your body…” However, a realization hit him. “Wait, what if, what if your body is still there! And that your soul is here?”
 
“Then, all we have to do is get it back?” Al replied excited before his doubt returned. “But wasn't it taken to make…mom?”
 
Ed frowned. “I'm not sure.” Ed then looked at his arm and leg before returning to Al's face. “But if it was taken, it wasn't to make the body. Remember, we had everything to make the body. Just the soul…there might be a possibility that they only took my leg for that and, well, getting there was your body!”
 
Ritsuko was very interested about this. However, she didn't have time for it at the moment. “Interesting theory. BUT, it also sounds like we can't prove it either. Without the Philosopher's Stone at least! Oh, I need to get to bed. And you two as well.”
 
Ed yawned. “Yeah. I guess you're right Doctor. Can't just dwell on this subject or we'll never get anywhere.”
 
“Yup!” Ritsuko opened the door. “Oh, and one last thing, you're all going to have a supply of clothes shipped to you. We're not sure about the measurements, but they should fit all of you just fine. Should at least give you guys an extra set then what you're all wearing right now. Anymore, well, you'll have to buy them yourselves.” Ritsuko said in a raised voice then before.
 
“Thanks!” Riza shouted in the other room. While she, nor Roy who was busy gobbling his instant noodles, heard the initial conversation, she did hear that.
 
“Thanks Doc.” Ed exited the apartment. “Having an extra set of clothes around is going to help.”
 
“Yeah!” Ritsuko watched the Elric brothers walk off. “Hmmmm…I think I forgot something. Oh yeah, the documents about his transfer to Shinji's school. Bah, he'll find out in the morning.”
 
Later…
 
Elric Brother's and Armstrong's Apartment
 
Edward woke up from his cot. He yawned. “Ahh! Our first day as NERV agents.” In reality, he really wasn't looking forward to doing it. He wasn't happy about being the `dog of the military', and now, you can say he's the `dog of NERV'. Still, in this strange world, it gave him something to do until they get back. They can't exactly look for the Philosopher's Stone…at least the way they were doing it in Amestris. Now, they are here to try and make one. And if, in a way, they make the Philosopher's Stone here with NERV's help, then it would all be worth it. He just hoped that he could do it differently than the ones they have met who attempted to make one.
 
Edward looked around his small room. There wasn't much in this small room. There was just a cot, a desk, a chair, and a clock. The digital clock read 6 am. He had to admit, he was impressed with the little device. `Battery technology has certainly gone a long way.' Ed thought as he got up from his cot. He scratched his butt as he headed towards his room's door. He looked outside in the hallway before heading to the bathroom. He sees Al watching TV. “Hi Al!” He was about to enter the bathroom when he suddenly stopped. He looked at what Al was doing? “Al? What's that?”
 
Al turned back to Ed. “This? I'm not really sure. When I pushed the power button, an image appeared like a movie. There are even different channels when I press these button!” Al proceeds to push certain buttons on the television set (he hasn't discovered the remote control yet), and the channel changes. “I can even adjust the volume like a radio!” Al pushed the up and down buttons that say, volume, underneath it.
 
Ed examined the device. “I see. This is like a radio…with movies instead!” Ed smiled. However, being the scientist that he was, he was curious just how. “How does it do it?” He checked the back. “Wonder what this plug does?” He pulls on it.
 
Poof! The TV goes off.
 
Al was panicking. Apparently he found a show that interested him. “BROTHER!”
 
“Oops! I guess that's the power supply!” Ed re-plugged the TV. “Okay, so that is how it gets the power. What does this cable do?” He pulled it off.
 
Poof! White noise and static appeared.
 
“BROTHER!!!” Al loomed over Ed.
 
Ed sweat dropped. “Hehehe. Al…ummmm…” Ed quickly reconnected the cable. “I guess that's where the signal is coming from.” Ed looked back and noticed that Al was watching. His eyes seemed to, glaze over so to speak, though that was hard to tell given he was a piece of armor. Ed looked at the image. It was some sort of, animation. “Yu-Gi-Oh? This IS just like a movie!” At first, he was curious how they could make a drawing move. But, that curiosity was short lived since, Ed figured, if it was anything like a normal movie that they were used to, they simply had many drawings in succession that would mimic movement. The longer he watched it, the more he was satisfied with that answer. `It looks like the drawers had many little shortcuts here and there. Like only having the mouth or hair move instead of anything else! Even so, still must be a lot of tired drawers doing this!'
 
Al was fuming. Ed was standing in front of his fascinating show. “Big Brother! Move out of the way!” Al yelled at him again.
 
“EeP!” Ed sweated and moved out the way. “Sorry.” `Well, at least Al has something to do all day in this world.' Although he heard from the Doctor the he should have him help work on the Philosopher's Stone when he's done.
 
“EDDDDDWAAAAARRRRRRRRDDDDDD!!!” Armstrong yelled out. He was wearing the tan uniform similar to the ones the bridge bunnies wore at NERV. “Breakfast is reaaaaaaaaadddddyyyyyyyyy!!!” Sparkles appeared all around him.
 
Ed dropped his head. “Hello…Alex!” `Of all the people they could've chosen to be my guardian, it had to be the Armstrong!'
 
“Just call me daddy Edward!” Armstrong beamed in his new NERV uniform.
 
Ed was shaking with the ridiculousness of the situation he was in. “Major Armstrong, NO! You're just my guardian. And it's also a cover!”
 
Armstrong got up and hugged Ed. “But Edward, being your guardian means being your parent!”
 
Edward was struggling to get out of his grip. “Did you hear that last part Major?”
 
Armstrong let go. “Oh, and remember. I'm Warren Officer in this world Edward!”
 
“Warren Officer then.” Ed said as he watched Armstong attempt to hug him again. He put his hand up immediately. “And enough of that.” Ed watched Armstrong comply and went back to his cooking. Ed sighed. `At least that was over. I hope.' Suddenly, he noticed a box next to Armstrong. “Let me guess, these are our new clothes!”
 
Armstrong nodded. “Although this uniform is a little small on me, at least I won't stand out as much!”
 
Ed internally chuckled. `Stand out? He can't help but stand out!' Ed then noticed a note attached to the box. “So, I'm allowed to wear my normal clothes to NERV huh?”
 
“You are one of the younger members.” Armstrong spoke up while he cooked some veggies. “They are more lenient when it comes to wearing a uniform. The only thing the Doctor asked is that you do not go wearing something, unusual.”
 
Ed thought about this for a moment. “Even the Amestris army allowed me to wear my normal clothes.” He then looked at what he was wearing. “And from the looks of it, even this might not be considered unusual.” Ed checked the contents of the box. “All clothes for me.” `Kind of logical I guess. I assume Armstrong put his away. And Al, well, obviously he wouldn't have any clothes.' “Let's see, dress shirts, pants, these ones called jeans, school uniform…” Ed suddenly stopped. “Wait, school uniform?”
 
Armstrong beamed. “You've been enrolled at the District 13 Tokyo 3 Junior High School!”
 
Ed face faulted. “But I don't need to go to school!”
 
“If we are to not raise suspicion Edward, you have to go to school!” Armstrong looked down at Ed. Although Ed wasn't sure, he could've sworn flames were coming up behind Armstrong. “Besides, you do not have to worry about going for at least three weeks. The doctor did want you to get settled in your new role as NERV employees before unleashing this new task on you!”
 
“True.” Ed reluctantly agreed. “But still…”
 
“And you WILL do ALL your homework and do well in school! Right Edward Elric?!” Armstrong towered menacingly over Edward.
 
Edward shrank in fear. “Yes Armstrong.”
 
Later…
 
Maya's Car
 
“I'm…sorry about the um…room.” Maya blushed in embarrassment as she sees the big man, crammed next to her. Given Maya's budget, she didn't really have the money to buy a bigger one. Not that she would, she lived alone and, until recently, didn't have to worry about anyone riding in her car. And she doesn't always take her car to work either. At other times, she took the subway whenever it was convenient. “But this car wasn't exactly built for someone so tall.”
 
“It's okay Second Lieutenant Ibuki.” Armstrong had to duck down a bit since his head was literally touching the roof of Maya's small economy car. His knees were also very close to his chest, even with the seat pushed all the way back. “I'm used to it. Even in our wo…country, I'm considered to be quite tall there as well. And not everything is made for my height.”
 
“I see. Oh, and you could just call me Maya! I mean I know I'm your guys superior, but you don't have to be official with me all the time!” Maya smiled. “Well, once you get settled in, you don't have to worry about being crammed into my car all the time either! You could take a subway that will lead you two straight to the entrance!”
 
“A subway?” Ed looked through the information pact that was given to him. “Underground trains. Amazing!” `They must've found a way to have trains run off of the electricity. Otherwise, the underground stations would be filled with smoke. Like the trolley's maybe? But these trains appear to be bigger then those!'
 
Maya looked back at the stunted bean…uhhhhh…Ed. “Don't you have subways in Germany?”
 
Ed shot his head up at Maya's question. “Uh, yeah! Yeah! We do! But it was…ummm…smaller then this! Hehehe.” `At least, I think they only have a subway according to the material the Doctor provided. I just hope the Second Lieutenant buys it!'
 
“Oh! Well yeah. Tokyo 3's mass transit system is one of the largest! Even with Second Impact destroying the old city.” Maya smiled, happy to be of service to these foreigners of her, `vast knowledge' of the city. “Don't worry! Once you get the hang of using it, you can travel anywhere in the city!”
 
“Yeah!” Ed then took out his school ID card. “Speaking of the subway, how do I get to…District 13 Tokyo 3 Junior High School?”
 
“Oh yeah! You start in three weeks don't you?” Maya stopped at a red light before continuing. “Well, you don't have to worry about it yet… But I suppose I can still show you if you want! Or you can ask Shinji where it is! You'll meet him again today since he has a training exercises!”
 
`I wonder why Shinji agreed to pilot it again?' Ed thought about the shy boy. `Although he was pretty much all they had the last time, that doesn't mean they couldn't have brought in someone else now the current threat has past. What about Asuka? And why not have them find another candidate? Shinji couldn't have been the only other candidate! Something tells me he's going to need a friend in this world. It certainly isn't going to be his father!' His eyes narrowed as he thought about the Commander. The idea that he would have to follow orders from him made him sick.
 
Maya then thought about Al. `If Alex Armstrong and Edward Elric are working at NERV, what's Al going to do all day?' “Um, Ed and Alex, is it okay to call you by your first names?” Maya watched both Ed and Armstrong nod in agreement before continuing. “What's Al going to do while you're working?”
 
“Al? He's watching that…ummm…Sony thing while we're gone.” Ed replied with a slight embarrassment. He still wasn't sure what the `movie radio' was called.
 
Maya blinked with confusion. “Sony? You mean the television?”
 
“Yeah yeah! That's it! The television!” Ed made a nervous giggle. “I can't believe I forgot what it was called! Hehehe!”
 
Maya chuckled. “It's okay! I forget words sometimes too!” Maya turned left at the next stoplight and was now just a few blocks away from the entrance to NERV. “Al should be careful! Television can rot the brain!”
 
Armstrong and Ed turned their attention immediately to Maya with fear in their voices. “It does?” Not that it mattered for Al, since he didn't have a brain at the moment. But the idea of something rotting the brain wasn't good either.
 
Maya was surprised about the two's fear. “Um…I meant it figuratively. You know, since you're not thinking a lot when you're watching and ummm…allow the story to just…sort of, wash over you as opposed to books…”
 
Armstrong and Ed sighed in relief.
 
“Yeah!” Ed heard something similar about listening to the radio too much. But at least the radio allowed you to use your imagination. Not so with the television he thought. “I'm going to, have him read books from time to time!”
 
Maya chuckled. “Yeah! Nice to have a younger brother to look out for him!”
 
Ed was about to correct her when he realized, in this world he was his older brother. At the very least, to the general public he was his older brother. I mean, Al was so much… taller. Ed mentally screamed at that realization.
 
“Do not worry yourself Maya!” Armstrong ripped off his shirt. Sparkles appeared around Armstrong. “For I, Alex Louis Armstrong will make sure that Al is given plenty of books to keep his mind active!” Armstrong, in a somewhat failed attempt, posed inside Maya's car.
 
“Um…Warren Officer…” Ed was very frightful at the moment. Not at Armstrong's typical showing off but…
 
Armstrong's massive jacket was now covering Maya's head.
 
“Oops!” Armstrong was holding the side of the door.
 
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” Ed was holding on to dear life as car started swerving from side to side.
 
Later…
 
NERV Headquarters - Doctor Ritsuko Akagi's Office
 
“Welcome to your first day as a member of NERV!” Ritsuko smiled at the group in front of her. “Now, I take it that you all had a good sleep last night?” Despite her chipper expression, she didn't get all the sleep she had wanted, especially with that little incident last night. Still, she had work to do, and she had to do it. Just meant that her coffee consumption for the day has been greatly increased.
 
Roy nodded a bit. “In a way I guess.” He was wearing the same tan uniform as Armstrongs.
 
Ed grinned. “What did Lieutenant Hawkeye, I mean, your WIFE do this time Second Lieutenant?” Ed gave special emphasis on wife.
 
Roy glared at Ed. “Well, ENSIGN, she didn't do anything. She didn't even cook me breakfast!” Roy seemed to be in near tears over that. “Except spend most of her time in the bathroom.” `While I REALLY had to go.' “What exactly does she do in there?”
 
`Hehehe. Women are apparently the same everywhere.' Ritsuko grinned. “Well, you can exchange experiences later. Right now, let's begin shall we?”
 
Armstrong nodded. “What should be the first thing we do Doctor?”
 
Ritsuko rubbed her chin. “For beginners, what are the basics of alchemy? I know you told me the general gist of it, but tell me, what's involved in it? Where do you start? How do you do what you do and so on?”
 
Ed smiled. “Well, I guess the easiest way to do this would be to tell you what my teacher first told me about alchemy.”
 
Ritsuko got out her clipboard, paper, and a pen. “Sounds good to me.”
 
Ed cleared his throat. “The Foundation of Alchemy's Power is the circle…”
 
Ritsuko started writing all of this down in her notepad.
 
Later…
 
NERV Headquarters - Training Facility
 
“So where's Hughes right now?” Ed asked as they walked towards the training facility.
 
“Maes?” Roy looked back at Ed as he continued forward. “He's currently in the `press room' asking questions to NERV. In reality, they were prepared questions given to NERV. So in effect, they are answering their own questions.”
 
“And then, he will type up his report for the Tokyo 3 Daily News.” Ritsuko added. “Though I will need someone to show him how to use a computer.” As she was saying this, they all entered the training room. Misato was waiting there.
 
“Hiya guys!” Misato waved at them. “Here for the first training session with Shinji I see!”
 
Ed nodded. “Yeah.” He looked at the computer monitors that the technicians were looking at. They sort of reminded him of television screens. Which reminded him… “Hey Second Lieutenant Mustang? Did you and your `wife' discover the television?”
 
Roy looked at Ed oddly. “Television?”
 
“You know, that box that had a screen and a button on it?” Ed grinned.
 
“Oh! So that's what it was called!” Roy shook his head. “I didn't check it out yet. But I think Hawkeye was watching it when I left. She was staring at it quite intently I remember.” `I hope she's okay. She seemed to be a little too memorized with it.'
 
Misato giggled a bit. “I'll have to show her some of the wonders of day time soap operas one of these days!”
 
“What's that?” Roy turned back to Misato.
 
“Nothing!” Misato innocently smiled at Roy.
 
Armstrong looked at the monitors with interest. These, televisions were all showing Shinji, and a number of other data that he wasn't able to decipher at the moment. On one of the screen, they could see Shinji's face in the entry plug. Armstrong noticed an occasional bubble coming out of his mouth. “Is that, liquid inside where Shinji is?”
 
“Liquid?” Ed turned away from Roy and back to Shinji. “He's underwater?”
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “That is LCL. A breathable liquid that helps connect Shinji to the Eva.”
 
Edward approached the screen. “Breathable liquid? There is such a thing?”
 
Ritsuko nodded. “Yup! He can even talk in it too!” Ritsuko took a headset and put it on. “Shinji, how are you doing?”
 
Shinji looked up. He had a reserved expression like he was resigned to his fate. “Just fine.” He replied unenthusiastically.
 
“Good!” Ritsuko replied. “Have you started memorized all the placements of the Eva controls?”
 
“Yes.” Shinji again replied unenthusiastically.
 
Ed frowned. Despite what Shinji was saying, it definitely did not sound like he wanted to be there.
 
Armstrong and Roy weren't that happy either. Armstrong wasn't happy that this boy was, seemingly, forced to pilot something that he obviously didn't want to pilot. Roy didn't like it because he was concerned that the fate of this world was in the hands of someone like Shinji.
 
`Not good.' Roy thought.
 
“Good.” Ritsuko nodded. “By the way, I have a few guest here.” Ritsuko took her headset off and showed it to Ed. “Want to talk to Shinji?”
 
Ed looked at the headset. He then looked at the others that were wearing it. He guessed it was some sort of telephone like device. He took it and did exactly what the others were doing. “Hey Shinji!”
 
Shinji's eyes lit up a bit. “You're Edward right?”
 
“Yeah!” Ed smiled at the tone. “I'm going to be joining your in three weeks!”
 
Shinji blinked in surprise. “You, you are? Why three weeks?”
 
“Need to get settled in first. After all, coming all the way from… Germany, different experience for us!” Ed scratched the back of his head. “Since I would be the new kid, I guess you could show me around a bit when that happens! We could be friends!”
 
Ritsuko noted that the sync ratio went up a bit. She smiled a bit. `I think they are already beneficial to the project! And we haven't even gotten to the alchemy yet!'
 
Shinji shock dissipated a bit. “I don't know…”
 
Ed smiled. “Come on! You shouldn't be afraid to make friends here!”
 
“Yeah Shinji!” Misato spoke up next to them. “Shorty here can be your friend! At least you can be the tall person here!”
 
Ed's smile disappeared. He glared at Misato.
 
Misato glared back at Ed. “Oh please! You need to learn to not take everything so personally!”
 
“I…I guess.” Shinji sighed.
 
After his staring contest with Misato, Ed sighed. `This is going to take a while.'
 
Ritsuko took back the headset. “Okay Shinji! You're done for today.”
 
“Yes.” Shinji waited for the plug to open, and exited it.
 
`What's up with him? He has Misato as a guardian!' Roy crossed his arms. “Is there anything else we need to know about the Evas Doctor?”
 
“Of course!” Ritsuko went up to a computer and replayed the video of the Angel attack from a few nights back. “This is the Eva in action!”
 
Armstrong, Roy, and Ed all watched the video. “Oooooooooooooo.”
 
At first, the Eva wasn't much of a threat to the Angel. As they had suspected, Shinji just wasn't much of a fighter. Never mind the fact that he never had any prior training either. Still, it looked bad and none of the three could believe that Shinji defeated it. Suddenly, their eyes widened when all of a sudden, the Angel slapped its hand into the Eva's head, shot some sort of energy attack at it, and blood sprayed from it. At least, they think it was blood.
 
“What is that red stuff coming out the Eva?” Armstrong asked with curiosity.
 
Ed also wondered the same thing. `It could be something like oil I guess. I expect that for such a large machine they would use that. But why was it red? Or maybe even that red liquid? Nah. It can't be that, especially in this world. So what could it be?'
 
Ritsuko looked at the video. “Well, you could say that it is blood.”
 
“Blood?” Roy asked surprised. “You're not serious are you?”
 
“Yeah!” Ed was also surprised by this revelation. “You're not saying that this is the same kind of blood we have right?”
 
“Actually…” Ritsuko waited until she had all three of their attention. “You could say that it is the same as the blood we have. You see, what an Eva is, is an biomechanical machine.”
 
“A bio what?” Ed raised an eyebrow.
 
“Biomechanical machine. Imagine your right arm, but instead of using metal muscles, it is biological. It would still have the wires and so forth, but at least part of it would be made out of an organic mass.” Ritsuko explained. “Oh, and it is also why only a few people can pilot an Eva since the pilot has to link with it in order to keep it moving. Much less fight.”
 
“So in a way, it is alive. And the machine must still `accept' the pilot!” Ed looked at his arm. He tried to imagine the idea that, while not all of it would be living, at least part of it would be. `Combining organic with mechanical parts. Strange concept, but I guess there are advantages to this.'
 
As they continued to view the video, they are again surprised that the Eva went into a kind of berserker mode. None of the three could believe that this was Shinji! While right before he couldn't do anything in the Eva, he could suddenly now fight as if he had extensive training. The tide seemed to have turned, and even the damaged parts of the Eva were instantly fixed. Or healed as the case might be. They even see the Eva get through the Angel's AT Field. Which reminded the alchemy group…
 
“How did Shinji get through the AT Field?” Ed looked up at Ritsuko.
 
“Simple.” Ritsuko grinned. “He made his own AT Field. You see that's one of the reasons why the Eva's were developed. To get through that very field of the Angels.”
 
“Technology certainly went a long way in this world.” Armstrong commented as he sees the finally of the attack. The Angel's suicidal attack that left the Eva damaged, but not destroyed. “The Eva can even take a direct hit!”
 
“To an extent.” Ritsuko added. “It did lose a big chunk of its armor. But with a few repairs, it was ready to fight another day.” `Few repairs that cost more then most nations GDP, but still, ready to fight for another day.' Ritsuko mentally added before continuing. “Oh, and one last thing, if you noticed, the Eva was mostly hooked up to an electrical plug. This is because current battery technology only allows for 5 minutes of maximum power.”
 
“Given the size of that thing, 5 minutes is mighty impressive.” Armstrong noted.
 
Ritsuko smiled. “That should be enough for now.”
 
Ed, Armstrong, and Roy all thought in silence about what they had seen and heard.
 
“I'm not sure how useful our alchemy would be to the Eva.” Roy admitted.
 
Armstrong nodded. “Alchemy pretty much can only be performed by a human. Though we could use it to repair the Eva, given their size, even with our skills, that is a tall order. Not to mention, given that they also contain organic material, that closely falls in the realm of Bio Alchemy which none of us are an expert in.”
 
“I see.” Ritsuko frowned in disappointment. “I was afraid of that.”
 
“Wait.” Ed thought back to the liquid Shinji was in. “You said that Shinji was linked to the Eva in some way. Since the Eva is partially biological, could it be possible…”
 
Ritsuko smiled again. She liked where this was going. “So, if Shinji learned Alchemy, could he apply it to the Evas?”
 
“Um, I guess.” Ed found himself no longer sure about this line of thinking.
 
“Perfect!” Ritsuko grinned. “Your job Ensign Elric is to teach Shinji how to perform alchemy!”
 
“But…” Ed started his protest.
 
“That was an order Ed.” Ritsuko glared at him. “Now, as for Shinji, you can see him in changing room.”
 
Ed lowered his shoulders. `What did I just do?'
 
End of Chapter 5
 
Next chapter…I said that Ed would be in school in this chapter? Well, NEXT CHAPTER he is! Will Ed and Shinji be friends? And what will they do when the next angel attacks?