Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Evangelion ❯ The First Day of School ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6 of my FMA/Eva story.
 
Again, this chapter, in a way, could be said to be really Chapter 5 cut off due to length.
 
On with the story!
 
NERV Headquarters - Locker Room
 
Shinji was changing back into his normal clothes in the cool room filled with empty lockers. This locker room was for the part reserved for pilots that at the moment, there were only three in existence. And one of these pilots was not even in Japan. Why the locker room was this big was anyone's guess. Apparently NERV had greatly miscalculated how many pilots they would have. As Shinji was buttoning up his shirt, he was stopped by a wave Ed. “Hi Edward!”
 
“Hi Shinji!” Ed waved at him. “So, I see you're already ready to go back home!”
 
“Home.” Shinji repeated. When Ed said it, he was wondering whether or not it was really his home. It was all last minute to him, with Misato taking him in and everything. And even then, did he ever consider where he was `home' either?
 
Ed noted the change in tone when he said home. Ed dropped his head. He knew, in a way, what Shinji was thinking. “I guess you haven't thought of it as your home yet. I understand. My home is, well…” He looked down as he remembered burning down his house before he and Al left for Central, where he would become a State Alchemist. “I too, don't really have a home.”
 
Shinji didn't speak up. He just stared at Ed.
 
“Yeah. You see, we burned down our home before my brother and I left to become a State Alchemist.” Ed reminisced.
 
“State Alchemist?” Shinji asked confused. “Alchemy? Was that what you were doing when I first saw you guys?”
 
Ed nodded. “Yup!” Suddenly, Ed realized what he was doing. “Oh, I guess you haven't been told who we really are have you?”
 
“Um, not really.” Shinji answered. “I mean, they told me that you're guys were transfers from Germany. But that's about it!”
 
Ed chuckled. They were even telling lies to Shinji. Despite the fact that he was the first to see them, and the first to probably know that he wasn't exactly from around here. Much less, that country, Germany that they said they were all from. `I'm not even sure where this Germany is! Only that it was the nation that spoke Amestrisian.' He wasn't sure if he was supposed to tell about their origins, but it shouldn't hurt either. As long as he kept it quiet. He also didn't want to be lying to Shinji either. “Tell me Shinji, can you keep a secret?”
 
Shinji turned to him confused. “Yes?”
 
“Good.” Ed looked from side to side. He wanted to make sure that no one was listening. Well, wrong person listening at least. “Say Shinji, do you believe that we came from Germany?”
 
Shinji thought about that one for a bit. “Well, you did speak German! At least, it sounded German.”
 
“That's what they said too.” Ed answered. “But you remember how we sort of just showed up right?”
 
Shinji thought back to that time. “Yeah. There was this blinding light, and then you were all there.”
 
Ed nodded. “That's right! That was when we entered your world!”
 
Shinji blinked in amazement. “My world? You're saying that…”
 
“Yup!” Ed smiled. “We came from a completely different world then yours! Well, mostly different. You see, in that world, we came from a nation called Amestris.”
 
Shinji was stunned. “So, you're from outer space?”
 
Ed frowned a bit. Shinji apparently watched a lot of science fiction shows, but the ones that stayed were the outer space dramas. Not the parallel universe shows. “Not… quite. We're from a different parallel universe from yours. I think.”
 
“I see.” Shinji said a little stunned. He was still trying to believe the fact that Ed was not from this planet, much less, from a `parallel universe'. “This Amestris nation, people speak German there?”
 
“To us, we would be saying that the people of Germany speak Amestrisian. Anyways yeah, apparently we do speak the same language. And that's why when they were coming up with our fake identities here; they chose that nation as the one that we all came from! It was also convenient for them since one of NERV's major branches was there as well!” Ed replied with an eager smile. “Oh, and in our world, we have the ability to use alchemy!”
 
“Alchemy?” Shinji was trying to remember what alchemy was. “Isn't that where you try to change something into gold?”
 
“That's what you guys think alchemy is in this world!” Ed answered. “And in many ways, that's how it started. But in our world, alchemy has evolved into a lot more than that. We could, in theory, change anything object into another! Whether that would be changing rocks into a wall, or metal into gold! We use it for lot stuff! Fixing stuff, making toys…”
 
“Wow! That's amazing!” Shinji delightfully replied. “So how do you do this alchemy?”
 
Ed's smile started to fade. “You're going to find out since, I'm supposed to teach you it.”
 
Shinji smile also faded. “Oh.” Shinji relaxed a bit. “Was it an order from my father?”
 
“Your fath…him?” Ed frowned. “No. But it was an order.”
 
“Why would I need to learn it?” Shinji asked.
 
Ed dropped his head a bit. “So that you can use it when you're piloting that machine. Unit 01 right?”
 
Shinji nodded as silence took hold in the locker room.
 
Shinji lowered his head. Finally, he spoke up in a low tone. “Well, if it is an order, I guess I should learn it then.”
 
Ed didn't like Shinji's tone. His defeated sounded tone. “Shinji? Why did you agree to pilot the Eva again?”
 
Shinji simply stared into the abyss. “Because that's why I was brought here. I'm here to pilot Unit 01.”
 
Ed gritted his teeth. He wasn't sure what to say to that. He couldn't say that he was wrong since, in a way, that's exactly why he was brought here. But at the same time, he also sounded like he accepted it as his sole purpose in life, to fight in that war machine.
 
After a few seconds of silence, Ed decided that he should drop that subject for now, and focus on another matter. “So, I'm starting school in a few weeks!”
 
“That's nice.” Shinji replied unenthusiastically.
 
Ed smile disappeared. Neither of them found the need to further their discussion at this point.
 
Later…
 
NERV Headquarters - Hallway
 
Edward walked down the hallway. He stopped when he realized, he had no idea where he was going. He took out a map of NERV that was in his pocket. “Now, where should I be going?”
 
Misato walked by. When she saw Ed, she stopped and turned to him. “Hey Edward!”
 
Ed stopped looking at the map, and looked up at Misato. “Captain?”
 
“You talked to Shinji yet?” Misato asked.
 
Ed lowered his head a bit. “Yeah. But he wasn't exactly in a mood to talk.”
 
Misato frowned. “Yeah. I was afraid of that.” After a short pause, Misato looked back at Ed. “Edward? Have you ever heard of the Hedgehog Dilemma?”
 
“Hedgehog Dilemma?” Ed shook his head. “No. I don't even know what a hedgehog is.”
 
“Well, a hedgehog is an animal covered in sharp hard spiky hair.” Misato answered. “So let's say that the hedgehog may wish to become closer with another hedgehog. However, the closer they get, the more they get injured with their hair. Some humans are like that as well.”
 
“Hedgehog Dilemma huh?” Ed replied.
 
Misato nodded. “That's why Shinji seemed to be withdrawn. He's afraid of being hurt.”
 
Ed thought about this for sometime. “Afraid of getting hurt, or at least afraid of getting hurt even more. Thanks Captain. I think I understand now.”
 
Later…
 
Elrics and Armstrong's Apartment
 
Ed was the first to enter the apartment. “We're home!”
 
Al popped up in front of him. “We must get Yu-Gi-Oh battle cards!”
 
Ed fell backwards and landed in front of Armstrong. “WHAT?”
 
Al started babbling. “On the movie radio! That show, I must collect all the battle cards so that…”
 
Ed slapped his forehead. “First Al, it's called a television.”
 
“Television?” Al looked back at the device. “So that's what it is!”
 
Ed sighed. “And Al, just like the commercials you find on the radio back at home, you do NOT have to buy, whatever it is selling you!”
 
“But…” Al looked back at the television.
 
“They are just trying to sell you stuff!” Ed crossed his arms. “That's the way commercials work! Here, and back at home!”
 
“But, what about the Zatch Bell fighting cards? Or the Nintendo DS game?” Al asked eagerly.
 
Ed face faulted. “Al…”
 
Suddenly, Armstrong came up from behind Ed. He stood in front of Al and crossed his massive arms. “Alphonse Elric…”
 
Al shrank when he saw his `guardian' looming over him.
 
“You had watched enough television!” Armstrong's booming voice sent Al to the floor in fear. “Go do something that will actually stimulate your mind like reading a book!”
 
Al was shaking on the ground. “Yes sir!” Al crawled away from that position.
 
Ed sighed. “We really need to find something better for Al to do.”
 
Armstrong looked down at Ed. “You can't really take him outside the apartment. At least, right now.”
 
“Yeah. He would attract too much attention. And the fact that his armor is hollow didn't help matter either.” Ed rubbed his chin. “I guess the only thing we can do at the moment is to have him help me research the Philosopher's Stone. How he will do it here while I'm at NERV I don't know.”
 
“That is true.” Armstrong then thought about Edward's other job. Besides trying to research the Philosopher's Stone. “Ed, have you talked to Shinji about teaching him alchemy? And if you did, have you started?”
 
“Well, I met him, but we really haven't started yet. I'll see him in a few weeks at school. Though I'm hoping to see him again tomorrow.” Ed turned away from Armstrong. “But still…”
 
“He does not look like a fighter.” Armstrong replied as he thought about the boy. “So, are you going to put the fighting spirit into him?”
 
Ed's expression darkened. “I won't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.”
 
“If you insist Edward Elric.” Armstrong replied. “However, if he is to be the pilot of that weapon, he has to be ready for it. Mentally, and maybe physically too.”
 
“Yeah. That weapon.” Edward agreed though deep down inside, he didn't like it.
 
Riza and Roy's Apartment
 
Roy Mustang entered his apartment. “I'm home.” He said in a not so excited tone. He sighed. Suddenly, he took a whiff of something that was coming from the kitchen. It smelled quite good. He walked into the kitchen, and was surprised at what he saw. “Hawkeye? You can cook?”
 
Riza was wearing normal civilian clothes. White T-shirt, and some blue jeans. Both fit well on her despite the fact that NERV didn't have her sizes. Though she did plan to go shopping for more clothes, but the new discovery took up most of her time. At the moment, given that nothing was on the television that interested her, and was quite hungry now since she `forgot' to eat lunch, Riza was busy cooking herself a meal. She chopped up some more veggies and placed them in a pan. “Why do you act so surprised Second Lieutenant Mustang?”
 
“Well I uh…” Roy stuttered as he was trying to figure out what he should say to her. “It's just that, I just…never imagined that…ummm…”
 
Riza grinned. “Just because I spend most of my time working, doesn't mean I can't find time to cook. Especially since in our world, we don't have `instant noodles'.” Riza poured in some chicken broth to the pot and started to stir it. “Besides Mustang, what do you eat when you're off duty? Don't tell me you only eat at the cafeteria? Or do you only eat sandwiches all day?”
 
“Ummm…well, actually…yeah. I eat sandwiches mostly.” Roy admitted. “But, I can cook steak once in a while! Hehehe…”
 
Riza sighed. “Typical.”
 
“So, finding stuff out about each other huh Roy?” Hughes smiled as he waved at him from the small dining table.
 
“Hughes?” Roy looked at him. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I invited him.” Riza replied without turning away from her cooking. “No reason that he has to eat alone in this world!”
 
“Isn't she wonderful Roy?” Hughes brightly smiled. “She's so caring and thoughtful! Just like my wife…” Hughes trailed off.
 
Roy sadly frowned. “Hughes…”
 
“Colonel? Or Second Lieutenant? Or whatever you want to be called now, what did you do at NERV?” Hughes asked in a serious tone as he changed the subject a little.
 
Roy took a chair next to him and sat in it. “Armstrong and I were examining ways on how our alchemy can be useful to them. How it can be applied to the Evangelion Project.”
 
“I see.” Hughes looked down. “Have you started on ways to bringing us back home?”
 
Roy shook his head. “Not yet. Right now, we're trying to find our place at NERV. Don't worry, we will do research in that direction once we're settled in.”
 
For a moment, neither of the men talked. The only sound in the room was from Riza cooking.
 
Then suddenly, Hughes broke the silence. “When you finally work on a way of getting home, please hurry.”
 
Roy turned to Hughes. “Hughes?”
 
Hughes lowered his head. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't be ordering a superior. Heck, I shouldn't even…”
 
“It's okay Hughes.” Roy lowered his head. “I will make sure that you will see your family again as soon as possible! That is my duty Maes!”
 
Hughes smiled. “Thanks Colonel.”
 
Roy grinned. “You're welcome Lieutenant Colonel!”
 
Riza smiled at the turn of events behind her.
 
At that moment, Roy's stomach started to growl. He smiled. “Say Hawkeye! What's for dinner?”
 
Riza threw him a box, hitting Roy's head. “For you, something new today. Frozen dinner.”
 
Roy rubbed the back of his head. He picked up the box and looked at it. “Frozen dinner? But…”
 
Hawkeye scowled. “Hughes and I are going to have chicken stew. For you, just follow the directions! Oh, and I suggest NOT using alchemy Second Lieutenant.”
 
Roy grumbled. “It wasn't my choice Hawkeye.” He read the directions on the back. He ripped open the box and took out the contents. “Let's see…” He looked at the food. Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and green beans and carrots. “So what I'm basically doing, is reheating food.”
 
Riza nodded.
 
Roy continued to grumble. `How long is this going to last?' He first looked at the microwave directions, and then to the oven directions. Both suggested poking holes over the veggies. So, he took a fork and did just that. Although he would love to use alchemy right now, knowing what happened the night before, he wisely decided not to do so. The microwave directions seemed to be faster then the oven directions. However, he had no idea how to use a microwave. He didn't really know how to use an oven either. But at least he knew what an oven was. `A microwave? What's that?' “Um, Hawkeye, mind telling me what the…microwave is?”
 
Hawkeye pointed to the box next to her.
 
Roy looked at the box. He noticed a button that said Open, and pushed it. The `door' opened on the microwave. “I guess I should put it in.” He placed the frozen dinner into the box, and closed the door. As he looked at the keypad, he scratched his head. There were a lot of buttons; some even had words like `popcorn' and one for `defrost'. The box said nothing about defrost so that can't be it. It had a specific cook time. But how was he supposed to do that? “Ummmm…”
 
“Just punch in the number and press start Second Lieutenant.” Riza placed a lid on her stew and reduced the heat, allowing it to simmer.
 
Roy scratched his head again. He did just what Riza said. First he pressed an 8. The digital output changed from showing the time, to the number 8. `The box said that it was 8 and a half minutes. Does that mean I'm supposed to put it as eight fifty, or eight thirty?'
 
Riza eyed Roy. “It's eight thirty.”
 
Roy blinked. “Oh! Ummmm…thanks! Hehehe.” Roy scratched the back of head. He punched in a 3 and a 0 and pressed started. A light went on inside the microwave started heating the food. “Easy enough I guess.”
 
“Good!” Riza spoke up. “Now you don't have to worry about dinner in this world from now on!”
 
“But…”
 
Riza glared at Roy.
 
Roy turned away. “Yes ma'am.”
 
Hughes chuckled. “It's okay Roy! Things in the end will turn out just fine!”
 
Roy glared jealously at Hughes. He gets to eat Riza's cooking. Unlike him. “Shut up Hughes.” Since he had all this time before his `dinner' was ready, he sat down next to Hughes again. “Say Hughes, what did you do all day?”
 
“Me?” Hughes sat back in his chair. “I sat at the press briefing and asked a bunch of their prepared questions.” Hughes frowned. “What they are feeding the public was that these Angels just suddenly showed up and started attacking the city. Where these `Angels' came from is unknown. The only thing that was able to stop it was that robot that they used a few nights ago. They didn't even give it a name yet.”
 
Roy sighed. “Figures. NERV had to say something. But in a controlled manner.”
 
“Yup! Military is the same everywhere apparently.” Hughes sighed before he grinned. “Though I would like to find out more about that big robot. And lucky me, I have a wonderful source sitting next to me!”
 
Roy grinned. “Careful Hughes, remember, you're just a civilian in this world! You don't want to be messing in places that you shouldn't be!”
 
“Yeah well, I guess I'll be a good boy then!” Hughes sat back in his chair. `Doesn't mean I can't pry information out of him though!' “Oh yeah, and I had type up a report of the press briefing. I even learned out to use a computer! Amazingly, it wasn't that hard…”
 
“Computer?” Roy asked semi-astounded. “Computer and television. Are they the same thing?”
 
“Not really.” Hughes replied. “While the television is basically like a radio with images, a computer is much more then that. Though I wasn't told how the machine worked, they did teach me how to write up a report, add pictures to the report if I wanted, and I could even do a little researched through this system they called the `Internet' that connects many computers around the world! Holds a vast amount of information as well! Of course, I'm sure not all of it is accurate of course…”
 
“Television?” Riza heard that term and turned to the two. “So, that's what it was called?”
 
“That's right!” Roy nodded. “That thing you were watching is called a television. Or TV for short.”
 
Riza nodded. “I see. Well Second Lieutenant, it's mine!”
 
Roy blinked. “What?”
 
“You heard me!” Riza turned to him. “I have priority over it!”
 
Roy sighed. “Sure Hawkeye.” `Now I REALLY need to find a way back home fast!'
 
Three Weeks Later…
 
The Alchemists all settled into their new lives with relative ease. At least, it was relative ease given their circumstance. For Roy, life at NERV meant following Ritsuko's orders. Not to mention trying to figure out what was `normal' procedure here at NERV. At `home', he had to contend with `instant food' for the time being. Though he was lucky a few times and Riza allowed him to eat some of her home cooked meals. Keywords here, a few times.
 
Armstrong, along with Ed and Al, were all familiarizing themselves of the surrounded city. Though the first two spent most of time at NERV headquarters as they tried, a bit, unsuccessfully, on memorizing where everything was at NERV. Given the size of NERV, this was no easy task. Al remained home most of the time, and since they have not started real research on the Philosopher's Stone, this meant that Al remained glued to the TV. Now moved on to another anime… Naruto. For Ed though, he was not able to keep in touch with Shinji that much given their busy schedule. That should change as the third week rolled around, and his days as a student quickly approached.
 
Elrics and Armstrong's Apartment
 
Ed held a black Razr cellphone to his ear. He was in his school uniform ready to head off towards this school that NERV sent him to. He schedule was as followed; he was supposed to go to school first, then head to NERV right after the final bell rang. But right now, he still needed to know where that school was.
 
Misato picked up on the other side. “Hello?” Misato asked in a tired voice.
 
“Hey Captain!” Edward cheerfully replied. “I was wondering if you can get Shinji to show me where his school is!”
 
Ed could hear Misato yawn. “Shinji? Oh, I'm sorry. He already left for school. You could try his cell phone but…” After a few seconds of silence, with only the sound of shuffling in the background, Misato came back. “Figures. He didn't take it.”
 
Ed dropped his head. “Okay. I guess I'll have to ask someone else.”
 
“Yeah. Sorry Edward.” Misato replied. “If I knew, I would've gotten him for ya.”
 
“It's okay.” Edward replied as he walked into the living room. “I'll see if I can catch Second Lieutenant Ibuki. Bye.”
 
“Bye Ed.” Misato replied before a click is heard.
 
Ed placed the phone in his pocket. He turned to the side, and low and behold, Al was watching TV. “Al, don't watch too much TV okay?”
“Sure brother!” Al replied without turning away from the television screen.
 
Armstrong walked up next to him. Again, he wore his NERV uniform. “Edward, I take it Shinji won't be showing you where his school is?”
 
Ed shook his head. “Nope. Now I have to ask if Second Lieutenant Ibuki if she can show me.”
 
Armstrong opened the door. To their surprise, Maya was standing right there in front of them.
 
“So, Ed, need a ride to your school?” Maya asked in a reserved voice.
 
Edward blinked. “Um…yeah. How did you…”
 
“Just intuition I guess.” Maya replied nonchalantly. “And for you Alex?”
 
Armstrong looked down at the woman in front of him. “I'm fine. I think I'll try out this, Subway system for now. By the way, is it okay…”
 
Maya smiled. “Again, you two don't have to be all official with me! I wouldn't have a problem being called Maya even at work!”
 
Ed nodded. “Okay, Maya. Well, guess you should show me the way!”
 
Later…
 
District 13 Tokyo 3 Junior High School
 
Edward stood quietly outside Class 2-A before entering. He held his transfer papers in one hand, and his book bag in the other. As he walked through the school, he noticed that it was pretty empty for a school this size. `Can't blame them though. They probably all left when that Angel attacked. I doubt many people like being inside a war zone.' Ed used his gloved right hand, and opened the door. As he opened the door, he could hear a bunch of students sitting down at the same time. `Huh? What was that all about?'
 
The professor was about to lecture when he sees that a new student entered the classroom.
 
“Sorry for the intrusion Professor.” Edward bowed and handed him a piece of paper.
 
The elderly professor looked at the piece of paper. “Class, I would like to introduce to you a new transfer student! Edward Elric from Germany!”
 
Ed stood in front of the class. He looked at the classmates in front of him. It seemed full compared to the other classes. Apparently, due to falling attendance, many of the other classes were combined into this one. Still, even with this many people, there were a few seats open in the class, one even next to Shinji who seemed stunned to see Ed here. Ed smiled at him. As he continued to scan the room, he also noticed Rei Ayanami, bandaged up since the accident, staring outside the window in the corner. `Maybe I should talk to her too.'
 
Shinji stared at the fellow NERV member. He was a little surprised that Ed was in his class. Given how smart he seemed to be, he would've expected him to be in a class higher then his.
 
Throughout the class, Ed could hear whispers coming from the students about his arrival.
 
“Another new student? This is odd! Most people are leaving this area! Not entering it!” A female student whispered.
 
“Why is he wearing a glove on one hand? Does he think he's Michael Jackson or something?” A boy whispered to the person next to him.
 
“He must work for NERV! They're the only ones that are moving into this city!” A certain boy with glasses whispered to a dark haired boy wearing gym clothes.
 
“He's from Germany? I thought Europeans were tall!” A nonspecific female whispered.
 
“I know! He's like a midget or something!” Another female student commented.
 
A vain throbbed on Edward's head. `I hear something resembling midget out there!'
 
“You can sit in the empty seat next to Shinji Ikari.” The professor asked.
 
“Yes professor!” Ed, ignoring, or at least, trying to ignore all the comments he was getting, sat next to Shinji and waved at him with a smile.
 
Shinji looked at him wide eyed for a moment. Then, he dropped his head and stared into the abyss.
 
Ed smiled faded. `This will take some time I guess.' He then looked back at Rei Ayanami.
 
Rei never even acknowledge his existence from the time he stepped into the classroom.
 
`Strange girl. She seems to be quieter then even Shinji! Well, it's not fair to say that right now since I haven't properly introduced myself, but from the looks of it, she doesn't seem to be the social type either. I wonder if the Doctor wants me to teach her alchemy as well. When she's healed of course.' Ed thought as he turned his attention back to the professor as he began his lecture.
 
“Continuing from yesterday, Second Impact, caused massive planetary changes when the comet hit Antarctica…” The professor lectured.
 
Ed was writing this down when suddenly, he realized something. `Wait! That's not how Second Impact happened! So, NERV is keeping even the reason why we are fighting these Angels a secret! Heh. Wonder how far the lies go?'
 
Shinji wasn't paying attention to the professor. Like everyone else, no one really cared about what the professor was saying. After all, most of them heard it all before. Shinji, well, he didn't care period. Suddenly, he heard a ring from his computer. Shinji looked down and saw a question being asked. Is it true that you are the pilot? Y/N.
 
Ed was one of the few people interested in what the professor was trying to say. While he knew a lot of it was false, that doesn't mean all the events that happened afterwards was wrong either. `Sounds bad. World wars, famine, plagues…I guess that's expected when the whole world changed forever.' At that moment, he heard a ping coming next to him. `Huh? What's that?' Ed turned to Shinji. He noticed Shinji looking at a computer. He then looked at the device in front of him. `That must be that computer that the people at NERV use. Huh. Apparently even the school has them!' He looked at Shinji again and noticed him looking around the classroom. `Whatever happened, seemed to have him concerned.'
 
Shinji looked around the room. `Who could've sent this question?' He looked back and saw a few girls waving at him. `Could they have sent the message?' He then noticed that the question was repeated again. `Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt if I answered it…' He carefully typed in the word Yes.
 
Suddenly, the entire class, with the exception of Rei and Edward, got up and went to Shinji. They were all awed by the revelation.
 
Ed stared at the group. “Huh? What's all this about Shinji?”
 
Shinji was too shocked about his newfound fame. “Ummmm…”
 
Shinji was bombarded with questions about the Eva.
 
“Really?” One student excited proclaimed.
 
“Oh wow!” Another student excitedly said.
 
“Cool!” Another student let out.
 
“Really? The new student was?” One student asked another who apparently didn't look at his computer.

Ed blinked. `They must've asked him if he was the pilot of that Eva through the computer! I didn't think all of them got the answer at the same time!'
 
Kensuke blinked in amazement as well. `How did they all find out? I thought I was the only one!'
 
In the middle of the commotion, an apparently bossy girl yelled back at them. Either that, or she was class leader or something. “Hey you guys! We're still in class, you know! Sit down now!”
 
As Ed listened in on the commotion, a smile appeared on his face. “You know, maybe things won't be so bad for Shinji!”
 
A certain black haired boy eyed wearily at Shinji.
 
Later…
 
Shinji got up from his desk and started to leave. Unbeknownst to him, Touji and Kensuke followed him out the door immediately.
 
Ed noticed Shinji leave. He also noticed the two boys leaving after him. `That doesn't look good.' “Hey Shinji, wait!” Before he could leave however, that bossy girl from before stopped him.
 
“Hello Edward Elric!” Hikari proudly stood in front of him. “My name Hikari Horaki! I'm the Class Representative for Class 2-A!”
 
“Class Representative…” Ed didn't know what that was. But he also didn't care at that moment either since he needed to talk to Shinji. And maybe stop whatever that kid was going to do to him. “Excuse me…” Ed tried to sidestep Hikari.
 
Hikari sidestepped to the side, again blocking his path. “Since I assume you are new to our kind of school system, coming from a European school system, I would like to tell you a few things that might seem foreign to you!”
 
Ed looked at the perky teenager in front of him. “Um, thanks Miss Horaki, but I…” Ed again tried to sidestep her.
 
Hikari sidestepped in front of him again before she continued without missing a beat. “In our school system, there is one Class Representative per class! In this class, that Class Representative is me!”
 
“Class Representative. Yeah! So…” Ed again tried to sidestep Hikari, and she again sidestepped in front of him.
 
Hikari wasn't done with Ed. “As Class Representative, I'm supposed to arrange the seating chart and make sure that absent students are kept up to date and ready!”
 
“Thanks!” Ed smiled at her. “But right now…”
 
Hikari wouldn't let Ed go. “But my most important job is keeping the class in line! I mean, today wasn't exactly a good day, but still, for the most part, I keep things in line! Every morning before the professor walks in, I give a number of orders, rise, bow, sit! Everyone must follow this in order to give respect for the professor! You probably know about our custom of bowing!”
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Ed wanted to get out of that class immediately. “Thanks for the info Miss Horaki! But if you…”
 
“If you need anymore help, you can…” Hikari was cut off as Ed quickly shook her left hand. The feel of his gloved hand stunned her since it wasn't anything she had felt before. It felt, metallic in a way.
 
“Yeah! I'll do that!” Ed quickly wrote down his cell phone number and handed it to her. “If you have anything else to talk to me about, just call me! Now, if you excuse me…” Ed sidestepped a still stunned Hikari and ran out of the room.
 
Hikari was still trying to contemplate what she just felt. `His hand…' Suddently, she looked at the note she held in her hand. `Did he…did he just give me his personal number?' Hikari blushed at the thought. `I mean I know he's a little short but…'
 
Outside District 13 Tokyo 3 Junior High School
 
Ed ran outside the school. “Shinji?” Ed stopped dead in his tracks as he sees him lying on the ground.
 
Shinji was on the ground. He was rubbing his mouth where a bruise which was quite apparent.
 
“Sorry newcomer. But I got to beat you up!” Touji rubbed his fist. “I've got to work off my anger.”
 
Ed gritted his teeth. `What did Shinji do to you?' Little did he know, just moments later, he would get his answer.
 
Kensuke leaned in close to Shinji. “Sorry, his sister was injured because of the incident!” Kensuke got up from his position and took a step away. “That's his excuse anyway.”
 
Ed's anger dissipated a little bit. Just a bit. He still believed that Touji needed a good beating, but at least he knew why he did what he did. At the moment though, he was more concerned about Shinji's well being. He ran up to Shinji and kneeled beside him and gave him a hand. “Are you okay Shinji?”
 
Shinji wiped the blood away from his cheek. “I didn't have a choice to pilot it.” He quietly responded.
 
Touji, who was walking away at that moment, then stopped in his tracks. He turned around and stared at Shinji. He responded in a low threatening voice. “What the fuck did you say?”
 
Ed stood up in front of Touji and stared down the…ummmm…taller boy. “He didn't have a choice in the matter!” Ed stared back at Touji. “Look, I'm sorry what happened to your sister. But Shinji was more or less, forced to pilot that stupid weapon!” `If anyone deserved a punch, it would be Shinji's father!'
 
Touji shut his fist tighter. “Stay out of this pip-squeak!”
 
Unfortunately for Touji, that was a mistake he wouldn't soon forget. “Who you calling a pip-squeak?”
 
Kensuke and Shinji watched in shock as the tiny man started to pulverize the taller Touji.
 
“Oh. Ow. Eek. That's gotta hurt!” Kensuke squinted and squirmed with each blow as Touji tried to block each attack. “Mental note! Don't mention the foreigner's height.”
 
“Ow!” Touji rubbed his bruised cheek after Ed was done. Touji learned a valuable lesson today; don't make fun of the foreigner's height. But what was he being hit with? “What the heck is your hand made out of you crazed freak?”
 
Ed narrowed his eyes at him. He took off his glove and rolled up his sleeve.
 
Kensuke and Touji's eyes widened.
 
“A robot arm?” Touji wildly responded with his initial anger now completely forgotten. “Shit! Why the heck did I pick a fight with him?”
 
Kensuke eyes widened in amazement. “I didn't realize that prosthetic technology went so far!”
 
Touji got up from his position. He stared first at Ed, and then to Shinji. When his eyes locked on Shinji, his anger quickly returned. “Well, I'll deal with this later newcomers.” He started to walk away from them.
 
Kensuke walked along side his friend. He looked one last time at the two, before he left with Touji.
 
“Pip-squeak.” Ed rolled down his sleeve and put his glove back on. He rubbed his fist as he watched the two departing classmates.
 
“Why?”
 
Ed stopped as he heard Shinji call out. He turned back and kneeled in front of him.
 
“Why did you help me?” Shinji asked with confusion in his eyes.
 
Ed's eyes softened. “Because, we hedgehogs have to stick together!” Ed smiled.
 
“Hedgehog?” Shinji asked confused.
 
Ed was about to respond when he looked up and noticed the injured Rei Ayanami standing over them.
 
Ed looked up at the near expressionless girl.
 
Shinji was the first to speak up. “Ayanami?”
 
“We've got an emergency call.” The injured girl replied. “I'll go.” She quickly ran from the area.
 
`First time I heard Rei talk.' Ed thought. `From the sounds of it, she too, seemed to be doing this because of orders. Though she doesn't seem to mind piloting it with her lack of emotion.'
 
Shinji slowly got up from his position. “I guess I should be going.”
 
“Yeah.” Ed replied. “I'll be…”
 
The siren started to ring out.
 
“A special state of emergency has been declared for the Kanto and Chubu region surrounding the Tokai district. All residents must evacuate to their designated shelters immediately.” A voice rang out from the intercom.
 
Hikari ran out from the corner. “Edward Elric! What are you doing just standing there?”
 
Ed looked back at the Class Rep. “Huh? I was just…” He turned back and noticed that Shinji was gone. “Ummm…”
 
“We have to get to the shelter now!” Hikari grabbed Ed's artificial arm. “Since you're new here, I guess you don't know where it is! Here! I'll show you!”
 
Hikari was dragging Ed. “Wait! I work for…”
 
Meanwhile…
 
Riza and Roy's Apartment
 
Riza was sitting on the couch watching the television. She had a box of tissues next to her. She was watching a Japanese soap opera As the Days Turn.
 
TV - As the Days Turn
 
“Minako!” A tall man in the soap opera with gelled hair grabbed a longed haired woman. “Why are you running from me? I love you Minako!”
 
“Oh Ken! I'm sorry.” Minako eyes were filled with tears. “I can't Ken!”
 
“Why?” Ken, filled with overacted emotion asked to the teary eyed Minako.
 
“Because Ken…” Minako turned away from him. “I'm pregnant!”
 
“Pregnant?” Ken was shocked by the revelation. Shocked! “Who's the father?”
 
Minako's tears started up again. “The father is…”
 
Suddenly, the show was interrupted.
 
Back to the Real World…
 
“NO!” Riza screamed as the soap opera was interrupted by an emergency broadcast. She growled as she watched the emergency broadcast.
 
TV - Emergency News Broadcast
 
A young newswoman looked straight at the camera. She was sitting behind a news desk. Behind her was a map of Japan. Under her, a news ticker repeated the main news of the day. “We interrupt this broadcast in order to bring you this special report. A state of emergency has been declared Kanto and Chuba region surrounding the Tokai district. All residence must evacuate to their designated shelters immediate.”
 
Back to the Real World…
 
Riza growled again. “Very well.” She holstered her gun, retrieved her ID and permit, and a map to the shelter. “I hope that robot destroys that Angel fast. I MUST find out who's the father of Minako's baby!”
 
Meanwhile…in another Universe…
 
Riza Hawkeye's Residence
 
After filling Black Hayate's bowl full of food and water, Sergeant Major Kain Fury tried to pet him.
 
Black Hayate glared at Kain. “Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.”
 
Kain backed up a bit. “Hey! I'm sorry I'm not First Lieutenant Hawkeye!”
 
Second Lieutenant Jean Havoc took a puff from his cigarette. He rested his head on the wall. “Why don't you take him in already? The Lieutenant is probably gone anyways!”
 
“No!” Kain yelled back at him. “I mean, we shouldn't think that! After all, the military still list them as…”
 
“MIA I know.” Havoc sighed. “Look, I don't want to believe it anymore then you do. But you saw the town! Completely gone!”
 
“I know.” Kain slowly approached Black Hayate again. “But, until they find a body, I won't give up hope! I'm sure he won't either.”
 
Black Hayate finally allowed himself to be petted. He also started to whimper.
 
Central Train Station
 
Winry got off the train the crowded train. She was holding her suitcase and was wearing short shorts, and what was basically a tube top, with a black jacket over it. Since the town was completely gone, there was no train service to Southern Vale of course. She needed to take a cab the rest of the way. However, she never really thought about what she would do if she got there. Heck, she wasn't sure what she should do in Central either. “Now what am I supposed to do here?” She looked around the crowded station. She dropped her head. “I guess I should find a hotel first before I take a trip to Southern Vale.”
 
“You're going to need military permission to go there ma'am!” A man behind her said.
 
Winry turned around. “And let me guess, you're going to give me one if you…” Winry's eyes widened as she sees who it was.
 
The eye patched Fuhrer Bradley smiled back at her.
 
Winry frantically bowed down many times in front of him. “I'm sorry Fuhrer! If I knew it was you, I wouldn't have been so disrespectful!”
 
Fuhrer Bradley waved her off. “It's okay ma'am.”
 
Winry looked up at the Fuhrer. “So, the area around the Southern Vale is sealed off to civilians huh?”
 
Fuhrer Bradley nodded. “I don't know why a young lady like yourself would want to see it. Given what used to be there, it would simply break your heart.”
 
Winry saddened. “I just want to check something. That's all. I heard one of my friends was there. Edward Elric?”
 
“Edward Elric? You're a friend of the Fullmetal Alchemist?” The Fuhrer watched Winry nod. “I see. I guess you want to see the area for yourself.” `I would like to check something too.' The Fuhrer thought. “Tell you what, I'll give you permission to view the area. I'll have to write up the paperwork and so forth, but given that I am the Fuhrer, that shouldn't be a problem!” The Fuhrer smiled brightly. “Although that will take some time…how about if you stay at my mansion for tonight?”
 
Winry's eyes widened. “Oh you're too kind Fuhrer! I…I don't know what to say!” Winry bowed again.
 
“Don't worry about it!” The Fuhrer replied. “I'm just helping a friend of one of my top alchemist!”
 
 
-------End of Chapter 6
 
Next Chapter…the Second Angel attacks! Technically the Fourth Angel, but the second Angel where that the Eva's fight. How will the events be with the FMA group there? Until then…later!