Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ 20 Views of Alchemy ❯ Deprived ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Fullmetal Alchemist or any of the characters for that matter. I am just merely...er, borrowing them as my muses at the moment. Do not sue me for anything but my imagination, which will not get you far in the courtroom. If there are any similarities between my story and another, I apologize but all I have to say is, I guess great minds think alike after all. Ja na! Enjoy!
 
Author: Tiasha
Title: Deprived
Word Count: 608
 
The pale moonlight sifted through the curtains and panes of glass from the window she was perched next to. Her charge had finally fallen into a restless slumber, his only escape from the excruciating hunger that filled his being. His occasional shifting on the floorboards and whimpers of desperation, fear and pain were the only sounds slicing through the silence every now and then. She turned her gaze from the moonlit window to rest on his fairly large figure.
He had come to depend upon her, something that was slightly frustrating, but at the same time, endearing. Out of all of them, he had clung to her, seeking her touch, guidance and approval. The poor creature, becoming so dependent upon her… He was deprived of his own decisions in that manner, and yet not really at all. For when she did make decisions, she did try to make them in the best interest for both herself and him, but she also knew that deep down, she was selfish.
She wanted to be like everyone else. She wanted to know what it was like to genuinely smile at others in a marketplace. She wanted to be able to walk outside and not fear for her existence should someone see the mark on her chest. She wanted to be liked by others, she wanted to be accepted by others, she wanted to be loved…
`I want to be whole,' she lamented, feeling that familiar ache in her being. It was the same ache she awoke with when she first heard that woman. That empty feeling when Dante explained what she was and that she could never hope to be a true woman. And it was that empty ached that continued to fill her every time Envy or Pride or Wrath or Sloth or Dante said her name. Dante had been as cruel then as she was now; she had given her a name that mocked her desire to be human…
“No! No! Lust! Lust! Lust! Where are you?!” she heard her charge's cries erupt suddenly as he got up and stumbled around the room in search of her. She silently watched as his eyes finally alighted on her and moved to her side immediately. Worry was evident on his face and she reached out a hand to his cheek, reassuring him that all was well.
“All is fine, Gluttony,” she said in a soothing voice and he sighed in relief, laying his head in her lap. His eyes drifted closed again and his head grew slightly heavy in her lap, but she did not have the heart to wake him.
The poor creature needed sleep to escape his hunger. She would never escape her desire to be human. It haunted her waking hours with her endless search for the Elric brothers to create the Philosopher's Stone, and haunted her in her dreams with a handsome young man who whispered words of love and endearment. She had never met him but knew that she had known him. From where or when she did not know, nor did she want to know really. She just wanted to live her own live; she wanted to have some quiet little place not too far away from a quaint little village, and she'd take Gluttony with her, and teach him to read and speak properly. She just wanted to take Gluttony with her and run away from Envy, Wrath, Pride and Sloth and especially, away from Dante.
Instead, she turned her head back to the moonlit window and not for the first time, wondered at how she seemed so human and yet had no soul…