Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ A Path of Light and Shadows ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the FMA cast.
 
 
The Beginning of a Path
A small girl of eleven lay in her bed, her room strewn with books and miscellaneous toys and softly lit by an oil lamp on her desk in a corner. The girl was small for her age and she wore an oversized flannel shirt and her head was propped up by two pillows. Her pale face was framed by bangs and shoulder length hair the color of gold. Her blue eyes peeked curiously out from under her bangs as she surveyed the two men in her room.
The first was removing a stethoscope from around his neck slowly shaking his head. He looked at the girl whose blue eyes seem to hold a wisdom beyond her years when she smiled encouragingly as if to say let me know what's wrong.
The doctor hesitated and then spoke aloud. “There is no cure. The only way to keep this illness from spreading is to amputate her right arm.” The girl did not seem shocked but nodded, taking it in stride. Before she could speak, the second man stepped out from the shadows.
Ayumu Aizawa was 19 years old, well built, and stood at 6'1”. His brown hair was of short/medium length and seemed to have a mind of its own. His face was lined with worry and his midnight blue eyes were unsure.
He faced the doctor and spoke quietly. “You're sure? There is no other option for Skye?”
The doctor nodded grimly. “You know better than I that this illness has not seen a cure in all the years that it has come into existence.” Ayumu ran his slender fingers through his hair and sighed, “So be it.”
Skye smiled at him and spoke with an optimistic tone. “It'll be fine Ayumu. Besides,” she looked up at him and added, “You know how much I've wanted automail.” Ayumu cracked a crooked smile but his eyes held the same concern as he watched the doctor administered drugs to render her unconscious.
While the doctor busied himself gathering the necessaries, Ayumu looked down at her and said, “I just don't want to see my sister go through the pain of receiving automail. I don't want to see you scream.” Skye giggled drowsily as she closed her eyes and said, “Theeen... clooose *yawn* your... eyes…” as she drifted into unconsciousness.
The doctor lifted her eyelids to assure himself of her state and then turned to her elder brother. The young man had taken to looking at the moon outside the window, his face pensive, his deep blue eyes seeing the past. So young, the doctor thought, to be on his own and caring for two young girls. And now this. The doctor cleared his throat and Ayumu snapped from his reverie. “Although your sister was lucky enough to have it caught now, your symptoms arose late, and even then you kept it hidden.” Ayumu nodded, shutting his eyes, as the doctor sighed and continued, “No amputation of any sort could help now as the disease is too far spread,” he took a breath, “I give you three years. Four at most. I'm sorry son.”
Outside the room, kneeling with her ear pressed to the door, was a girl of 10, the youngest Aizawa, Zel. A single tear made its way down the lightly tanned skin of her face. She stood slowly and crossed the hall towards the stairs that lead to the second floor of the house. Her light golden brown hair hid her face as she held her head down, watching the tears leave a trail. The moon loomed ominously outside and she stared out the window as she made her way across the hall of the second landing. She entered her room. Her emerald eyes followed the path of the moonlight to her bedside table until they lit upon a portrait propped upon it. She walked toward the bed and sat upon the navy blue comforter. She picked up the picture and gazed into the smiling faces of the family within. She traced each one slowly with her finger. A brown haired woman with laughing emerald eyes. “Mom.” Her green eyes held a sense of loss in their depths. A golden haired man with blue eyes that held happiness within them. “Dad.” The green eyes shimmered with the promise of tears. A brown haired boy of 17 with deep blue eyes that held mischief in them as he hugged his younger sisters. Her voice cracked as she whispered softly, “Ayumu.” We already lost our parents because of the sickness. Is it meant to be that Skye and I will become the sole remnants of our family? She shook her head and wiped the tears from her eyes. A light of determination flickered across her face. No, she thought, there has to be a way for him to live. We'll find a way.
And with that she curled up on her bed and clutched the picture of her family to her chest, hoping to find something in her dreams that would find the way, find a path, a solution, a cure.
 
 
3 years later… at the Aizawa household.
 
“Zel!” called Skye as she searched the house, opening each door in search of her sister. “Where are you?” She made her way up the stairs, her feet moving swiftly down the hall of the second story until she reached the mirror at the end of the hall.
Skye Aizawa was small for a girl of 14, only 5'1”. Her golden blond hair hung a little past her shoulders and her bangs were swept to the left. Her blue eyes were a shade similar to that of a sapphire. Although she was still young, her eyes held the light of wisdom that someone obtained after going through hardships. She wore her everyday wear, a green tank top, black capris, and her trusty combat boots that gave her an extra inch of height. The sunlight streamed through the window and causing her automail arm to glint in the sunlight.
She turned from the mirror to face and open a cornflower blue door with sapphire colored patterns upon it. She stepped into it quietly and looked around the room. The bed was vacant which meant only one thing. Skye's eyes turned to the right side of the room and saw her sister asleep at her easel, paintbrush in hand.
Zel Aizawa was now age 13 and she was 5'5”, taller than her older sister. Her golden brown hair was long, down past her shoulders and her bangs swept to the right. Her skin was lightly tanned and her emerald eyes were shut. She wore her usual garb, a white tank, navy blue cargo pants, and blue sneakers and it all bore the marks of an artist. Paint stains everywhere.
Skye watched her sister sleep, her chest rising with each breath, and then lifted her gaze to see what the easel beheld. The painting was unfinished but it intrigued the older girl. The background was simple. A starry night sky and a beautiful forest clearing. However it was what was located within the clearing that piqued Skye's interest. In the clearing were two cats. A grey one and a black one. The grey was playing with a butterfly and its brown eyes were focused on the game. The black one on the other had sat there, its eyes were pools of molten gold that seemed to see into your soul. At the corner of the picture as was customary was the signature of the artist and Zel's trailed off the end of the painting as was the norm, for she always went to sleep late finishing her works of art.
Skye tiptoed lightly to the easel, stepping over books and tubes of paint, and kneeled beside it.
“Zel. Wake up.”
Tap tap.
Nothing.
“Zel.”
Nudge.
Still nothing.
“Come on Zel.”
Shake shake.
Zel shifted but didn't wake.
Skye took a deep breath.
“ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!”
“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”
Zel jumped, screaming, and fell backwards onto the floor, spilling blue paint on the floor.
Frantic thuds were heard coming up the stairs and down the hall ending with loud opening of the door.
“What's wrong?!” asked Ayumu worriedly, his glasses askew. Skye laughed nervously as Zel pouted indignantly. Realization dawned on his face. He shook his head and said, “You're lucky you're leaving or else you'd be grounded.” He looked at the mess and added, “But before you do, you might want to clean up your mess here.” The girls looked up at him pleadingly with puppy dog faces. He took one look and sighed. “Fine. I'll help too.” As his sisters high-fived one another he muttered, “Someone ought to make those looks illegal.”
As the siblings finished their chore, Zel glanced a look at the clock and sighed wistfully. “Skye it's almost noon. He may get here any moment.” Skye nodded and turned to their brother. Ayumu smiled sadly at them. “Ahh my little sisters. They're growing up. Joining the military. Leaving the nest.” A tear fell from Zel's face as she threw herself upon him. “Oh brother, we're gonna miss you,” she sobbed, her arms wrapped around his chest. Skye had also attached herself to the embrace but her tears remained silent. Ayumu stroked her hair and spoke soothingly. “There there little one. Dad would be proud to see you both follow in his footsteps to help the state.” Skye looked up at her brother, unsure of his words. “What if we fail Ayumu?” He grinned broadly at them. “And what if you don't? You both are smart, more special than any girls your age. You are both the most brilliant self taught alchemists and that is why you have received this chance to take the test even at your age. Do not doubt your abilities.” He pulled away and rummaged his hand in his coat's pocket. “Aha.” He pulled out two pewter lockets and handed one to each of them. Zel's had a paintbrush engraved and Skye's had a cat. “It's our family,” Skye said softly. “Yes.” said Ayumu, his midnight blue eyes shining behind his glasses, “So we're always together wherever you go.”
Abrupt knocking drifted upstairs and the realization hit that it was time to part. Ayumu stood and gave his sisters a swift hug. “Remember. Although our paths may diverge now, they will join again.” With a grin and a wink he added, “Until then, give them hell.” Zel nodded and Skye smirked. “You know it bro.” she said impishly.
The girls dashed down the stairs and Zel spared him one last glance. Ayumu nodded assuringly and she smiled, feeling as if maybe it was not so bad to leave. She remembered the promise she and Skye had taken upon themselves. We will find it. We will.
Skye ran to the door and it swung open in a wide arc to reveal him, Lieutenant Colonel Roy Mustang, The Flame Alchemist. “Long time no see girls.” He said nodding in greeting. He glanced from Zel, who was quickly sweeping her hair into a side ponytail to the left and Skye, who was watching him observantly. “Still as short as ever Miss Skye.” He said, his onyx eyes glinting with amusement as he watched her turn from pink to red. “I'll have you know that I grew TWO inches since you saw me last! TWO inches TALLER I say!!!” Mustang rolled his eyes and asked dismissively, “Are you to ready to go?” Zel quickly grabbed the midnight blue messenger bag on the table and nodded. “We're ready Lt. Colonel sir.” He began to laugh at the formality being shown by the young girl until something in the bag caught his eye. “A stuffed animal? To Central?” he asked incredulously. She nodded fervently clutching the tan rabbit to her chest. “What for?” he continued. “You'll see,” said Skye, as she crossed her arms impudently. He shrugged and began making his way to the road that led to the train station, muttering to himself something about kids these days…
Once on the train the girls bombarded him with numerous questions.
“What is the exam like?”
“It is a test of skill. First is the written exam, then the interview, which I was able to schedule for you both together, and after that the practical exam.”
“Practical?”
“Yes. It's basically showing off your skills for the Fuhrer to evaluate your worth to the military.”
“Do you think we'll pass?”
“No.”
“WHAT?!”
“Just kidding.”
Once in Central, the girls were escorted into the examination room and from there to their interview.
But all that seemed so simple. So very simple. They had given their minds to the State, showing their knowledge and wisdom of the science of alchemy. They had given their hearts, telling the State why they wanted to become a part of it. And now came the giving of their very souls, their trademark in alchemy to outshine all the others.
All the other alchemists now stood proudly by their own creations, and the Fuhrer was observing approvingly. He turned to face the girls, watching them expectantly, his eye glinting with curiosity.
Skye took a deep breath and clapped her hands together. She placed them upon the ground. The earth shone with a white light from therein sprouted a sunflower that climbed and climbed to tower over its creator. The surrounding spectators gasped, exchanging looks, whispering “No circle?” in utter disbelief. The Fuhrer nodded, impressed, and then turned to face Zel. “What have you to show us, young one?” he asked her politely. Zel looked down, fiddling with her ponytail, as she muttered something incoherent. The Fuhrer frowned slightly and asked, “Pardon?”
She stood on her tiptoes and whispered in his ear, “May I do my demonstration in private?”
She looked up at him and as an afterthought added, “Please?” He smiled and said, “I suppose you could.”
From a distance Mustang, Hughes, and Hawkeye watched the exchange, slightly perplexed. “What do you suppose she's saying?” asked Hughes, turning to Roy. The colonel shrugged and said, “I don't know but I think we're about to find out.” The Fuhrer was motioning for the trio to follow the young girl and himself into one of the examination rooms. Roy locked the door behind them and stood with his arms crossed watching the girl pull the stuffed rabbit from her bag. The faces in the room changed swiftly from confused to amused as they saw her set it down on the floor before her as she kneeled in front of it. Zel placed her hands upon her heart then took one and placed on the rabbit. The air around her began to swirl and both girl and rabbit were engulfed in a silvery blue orb of light. Zel's normally green eyes suddenly flashed blue and she crumpled to the ground. Hawkeye rushed forward, her eyes wide in fear, and kneeled by the still body. What was she attempting to do? She thought as she checked her pulse. To her surprise, it was there, as if she had merely fallen asleep. Turning to Mustang she said, “She's fi-“. Mustang's eyes of coal were wide and Hughes' mouth was silent and agape. Following their gazes she turned to see the plush rabbit moving on the floor towards the Fuhrer.
It hopped quickly, stopping at his feet, its green eyes staring up at him. The rabbit spoke, addressing the minute audience. “This is my skill. I can attach my soul to inanimate objects and at times share the body of an animal if it is willing.” said Zel, her voice leaving the rabbit's head. “I didn't want the others to see because it may have caused a bit of shock, among other reactions…” King Bradley looked down at her amazed. He leaned down, holding out his hand, asking, “May I?” She nodded and he picked her up gently, and looked her over. “Incredible,” he muttered as he set her back down. Zel bounded over to her body and placed her paws upon her own chest. The light filled the room once more, and Zel, back in her body, stood holding the rabbit. She walked over to Mustang and said simply, “Do you see now?”
The next day…….. in Mustang's office……….
Roy sat at his desk holding two letters from the Fuhrer, smirking. Zel and Skye stood before the desk, watching him expectantly. He cleared his throat and handed them each a pocket watch. “You are now State Alchemists and,” he said, looking at each letter, “You each now have your titles as appointed by Fuhrer King Bradley.” Turning to Zel, he said, “You are now the Child Alchemist. And you,” he said, turning to Skye, sarcastic smirk plastered upon his face, “Are the Chibi Alchemist.”
“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!”

A.N.: This my first fanfic so leave me reviews pretty please ^.^