Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Al's Alice ❯ Truth ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
“What do you mean.. he’s not coming back, Ed..?”
Edward just fell to his knees, tears still streaming down his cheeks. The news was too much for him. After all they had been through, how could he have lost him so easily?
“He…he’s..”
Ed easily began to cry again. Winry got down on her knees and placed her hand on Edward’s shoulder.
“Ed..please talk to me..”
He wiped his eyes and looked up at Winry.
“He’s….he..died today…”
Winry nearly spit up a laugh.
“Seriously Ed..that’s not..”
But his expression didn’t change, and Winry fell onto her bottom.
“Your not kidding…are you…”
The two began to sob onto each other while the nurses and doctors continued on their way, not one of the noticing.

TEN YEARS LATER
It hadn’t been easy for anybody to accept Alphonse’s death, Especially for Melody. That night so many years ago, Edward had gently broken the news to her after trying to pull himself together. She screamed and immediately broke down, baby in arms.
Over the years people had learned to move on and build onto their lives. Edward and Winry married shortly after the funeral. Winry had given birth to two boys a year later. The older, who was now nine and a half, was named Alphonse, after his dead uncle. And, the other one, who was six, was named Christopher, after Winry’s father. The two had moved in together, Winry continuing her auto-mail shop and Edward continuing at the Military.
Roy and Riza were planning a wedding with their two year old daughter, Sarah.
And after three years of Alphonse’s death, Melody re-married a carpenter, Jack, and had another child with him, who she named Susie.
Alice had turned ten a little over a month ago. She hadn’t yet learned of her real father, and no matter how many times Edward had told her to, she refused.
So, Ed had decided to do it himself.
It was an early Sunday morning. The sun was fully up in the sky. A pair of children ran across a freshly watered green lawn. Screams of laughter rang through the quiet countryside. Melody sat quietly in her rocking chair up on the front porch, Jack sitting next to her, the two holding hands and watching as their two children ran about. The older one ran quickly, her dark bronze hair flailing in the wind, her bronze eyes filled with laughter and joy. Her younger sister was different; she had short midnight black hair and bright green eyes, filled with innocence.
The two ran around the front yard. Like nothing could ever happen to ruin their lives. They were wrong.
Further down the dirt road a chocolate brown car drove down towards the house. Dirt and rocks spitting up behind it.
Melody stood up, letting go of Jack’s hand, and called out to the girls,
“Alice! Susie! Look who’s coming!”
The girls stopped running and looked at the road.
Alice was the first to notice,
“Uncle Ed! It’s Uncle Ed!”
Susie ran up next to her,
“Uncle Edward!!”