Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and Alchemy ❯ A Little Talk With Al ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sadly, I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist. If I did, Edward would be in my bed every night *drool*
A/N: I'm making this up as I go along XD so don't blame me if the plot is all half-assed. Oh, in this fic, Ed and Winry are 19, Al is 18 and Roy is 23. And they might be a bit OoC…
 
I don't believe it.
Dating Mustang without telling me… getting engaged to him without telling me… was she going to go through the whole damn wedding without me too?
Edward wandered aimlessly through the construction site of the library, not really seeing what was going on around him. Twice, he had to be redirected from walking right into a hole. Once he hit his head on an overhanging beam, but didn't really notice the pain. It wasn't like it was greater than the pain in his heart or anything.
It was getting colder as dark stormclouds gathered to the north. Edward squinted over at them with an internal groan. It's going to rain. A fat raindrop splashed him on the forehead. He scowled at the sky. Knew it. “Oy, pipsqueak!” shouted one of the construction workers. “Y'might wanna go inside. Looks like its going to storm pretty heavily!” “Who're you calling a pipsqueak!?” Edward shrieked.
“Hey! Fullmetal, sir!”
Edward turned at the hailing voice, surprise in his golden eyes. “Oh, Lieutenant Ross,” he said reluctantly at the wide-faced woman running toward him. “What are you doing here, sir?” Ross gasped, gesturing around at the construction sight. “It's dangerous!” Edward sweat dropped. “Yeah, I know,” he said, feeling the lump on his head throb. “Your friend Winry is here,” Ross continued hopefully, eyeing her charge. “Yeah, I know,” Edward said, feeling the crack in his heart throb. “I don't really want to see her.”
Lieutenant Ross slumped. “Oh, you found out,” she said glumly. “I'm sorry, sir, that I didn't tell you, but Major Mustang specifically asked me not to.” Edward's anger sparked, and he let out an involuntary, “Dammit! So you knew too? Who didn't?” “You and Alphonse,” Ross said. “Major Mustang—” “Quiet,” Edward growled. “I'm going to—”
“There you are, brother.”
“Oh, Al,” Edward said despondently. “Hey.” “Could you leave us, Lieutenant?” Alphonse asked Ross. “I need to have a private talk with my brother.” “But sir—” Ross began to protest, then quelled at the look Edward gave her. “All right,” she grumbled, picking her way back through the construction mess.
“So,” Alphonse said. “Winry's pretty mad.” “Why?” Edward asked bitterly. “I'm not the one who betrayed her.” “You are,” Alphonse corrected. “She expected you to be happy for her, and instead you walk away. Like last time.” “This has nothing to do with last time.” “I beg to differ, brother. I think part of Winry's love for Roy is to get revenge on you.”
Edward glared at his little brother. “Al—” he began. “Listen, brother,” Alphonse interrupted, on a roll now. “The right thing to do would be to apologize to Winry and Roy, confess your feelings to Winry and try to be happy for them.” “No way, Al!” Edward said furiously. “You don't get it; you don't like her like I do!” He whirled away, red cape swirling, and began to walk swiftly away.
Alphonse sighed and stared after his brother. “Well, Win, I tried,” he murmured, before turning in the opposite direction.
 
It was nearing midnight, and Edward hadn't yet come back to the room. Alphonse stared moodily at the ceiling from his bed. It'll probably be hours before he comes back, after a shock like that, he told himself. Don't worry, Al. Difficult though it was.
He recalled what had happened this morning. Weren't we going to go to Reisenbool? he wondered, turning over with some difficulty. Well, of course not, now that Winry's here. Brother, you sure have dug yourself a deep hole.
 
Al's probably worried, Edward predicted, climbing the stairs slowly, staring down at his feet. It's nearly midnight. I can't believe she did this to me! This proves all women are evil witches!
Wrapped in the dark shroud his thoughts cast over him, Edward didn't notice the person coming down the stairs until their foreheads crashed together.
They let loose twin yelps of pain. The other stumbled back, tripped, and landed on their rump a few stairs up. Edward, coming up the stairs, wasn't so lucky. His foot slipped; he had enough time to remember to panic before he was falling back. He yelped again, arms wind milling as he tumbled head over heels down the stairs, landing in a confused, breathless heap of metal, limbs and cape.
“Hey!” he snarled, sitting up. “Watch where you're going, you mindless asswipe—oh.” “H-hey, Ed,” Winry mumbled, rubbing her forehead. “Um—sorry about that, I wasn't looking where I was going…” “Y-yeah, neither was I…”
Long awkward silence. You know the ones; when you run into the ex you still like, it's a dark night, storming right, left and center, and you're all alone together. Yeah, those long awkward silences.
“So,” Edward said. “Getting married. Congratulations.” “Yeah, thanks,” she said, smiling and blushing lightly. “Well, erm, I gotta go,” Edward mumbled, pulling himself to his feet. “Al's gonna be getting worried. See ya, Winry!” He bolted up the stairs, limping slightly, and around the corner to his room before she could answer, leaving her standing there, mouth open—and very slightly puzzled—on the stairs.