Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and Alchemy ❯ The Rooftop Part I ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sadly, I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist. If I did, Edward would be in my bed every night *drool* Lol.
A/N: I'm making this up as I go along XD so don't blame me if the plot is all half-assed. Oh, in this fic, Ed and Winry are 19, Al is 18 and Roy is 23. And they might be a bit OoC…
 
Idiot, Edward told himself later, sprawled on his bed. Moonlight streamed through the window onto his face, lighting up his golden eyes. Across the small room Alphonse was happily asleep, back to his brother. Edward, meanwhile, was unable to fall asleep. Over and over again Winry's face ran through his mind.
You had your chance, she's right. Mustang deserves her. Shit, I'm beginning to sound like Al.
Finally, too tired and heartsore to sleep, he threw back the covers and quietly stood up. He made his way over to the couch where he'd thrown his cape and eased it over his shoulders with his flesh arm, just in case the metal one rattled against something. Edward crept toward the door, one eye on Alphonse the whole time, and slipped out.
I need some fresh air, he told himself. Fresh air to think. He made his slow, ponderous way to the roof.
 
Winry stared blankly out the window down into the courtyard, absently sipping water from a glass. Her forehead still ached from the collision an hour ago, and she couldn't sleep. Her long blonde hair was let loose, swinging down to her waist. Moonlight glowed on her simple white nightgown, giving her the appearance of a ghost. Her blue eyes were troubled, matching the expression on her pretty face.
“Winry?” came Roy's sleepy voice from the doorway. “What are you doing? Come back to bed.” “I can't sleep,” she sighed, gulping the last of the water. “Y'know? I think I'll go for a little walk.” “All right, but don't be long,” Roy said, kissing her. “Don't wait up,” she replied, taking her robe from a chair and sliding it over her shoulders.
The hallway was chilly. The auto-mail specialist shivered, pulling her robe closer around her. Her bare feet sank into the carpets, silencing her footsteps.
Air. I need fresh air to think.
She climbed the stairs up to the roof of the building, opening the door into the cool night. The air smelled like rain and spring. She breathed it deeply, smiling for the first time in days. Full moonlight shone down on her, further creating the ghostly effect.
 
Edward gazed despondently down into the courtyard, thudding the toe of his boot on the ground. They're all asleep. I'm the only one awake, he thought, savouring the delicious feeling of being the only person in the world. Even Winry, probably.
 
Everyone's asleep, Winry thought, on the other side of the building, hidden by the door. She stared across the city, savouring the delicious feeling of being the only person in the world. It almost makes me wish Ed was here. He'd enjoy this too, just being alone together with me up here, the two of us the only people in the world… She ducked her head to hide her blushing cheeks. What am I thinking!?
 
Winry'd love this, I bet, Edward thought, sighing. Just the two of us. Alone, like we used to do in Resembool. And then we'd kiss… He flushed hotly. What am I thinking!? She's going to marry my boss. Stop, Ed. No second chances.
 
She leaned back against the balcony railing, staring up at the star-spangled sky. He was great, but… Roy is the best thing that's ever happened to me, she told herself firmly. I couldn't do without Ed—Roy. Roy completes my soul. I love him.
 
There are other fish in the sea, he told himself firmly. Get over her. If you're going to be a fisherman, you've got to have the right bait, and you don't with those memories hanging over you.
“Well, well, well. Hey there, handsome. You do look glum.”
The slithery, seductive voice was all too familiar. Edward whirled. “What are you doing here?” he snarled. With a shnk a short blade slid from his auto-mail arm. “Hey—”
“I have a proposition for you.”
He shut up, warily. “Go on…”