Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Do Not Panic! ❯ Valentine's Day part 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Valentine's Day. In Edward's opinion it was the worst day of the year. Flowers, candy, and cards thrown in all directions. All but his anyway.
Winry had sent both of them one, Al's had been bigger. His card had said `be mine'. Ed's had read `Happy Valentine's Day'. It didn't take a child prodigy to figure out who was going to marry Winry.
He didn't mind really. It was just everyone had someone and he didn't have anyone. If he was interested he might be able to beg a date off Mustang, he had a horde of them at all times, but he just wasn't interested in girls.
Figured. One more mark against him in the weird department. Havoc and Breda both had explained that to him when he was 15 and on the cusp of manhood. No one but Al knew that he was—well what he was. He didn't like the label. He just didn't like girls. Girls were too flighty, moody, and at times stupid. He said what he meant, there were no hidden meanings.
Still, it figured that he had to report into the bastard's office on a day like this. The years that he had been in the office on Valentine's it had looked like a small store, having a variety of flowers, candy, chocolate (this was a different category then candy), and cards that other officers came in to relieve the General of. Forget the day? Just come on in and take your pick. He didn't give out phone numbers out though.
He grabbed one of the cupcakes that Hawkeye had brought in, flicked the heart shaped hunk of plastic into the garbage can, and went to face his doom. Sure enough, Mustang had his office set up with the mountains of gifts. But Mustang wasn't in sight. Shifting through piles, he didn't find a sleeping man anywhere. Huh, where the hell did he go?
“Stupid bastard! I don't want to be here all day! Where the fuck did you go!” He kicked angrily at the desk and cursed again when he used his flesh foot to do so.
“Chief? He's out there.” Havoc pointed to Mustang's open window, dumping another box of chocolates onto the desk that Edward had just kicked. “He's not in a very good mood though.”
The sound of snapping and the flash of fire that came from the open terrace confirmed Havoc's words. Jean Havoc gave a moan and lamented the cards and numbers that had just went up in smoke.
“Where's Hawkeye at? Shouldn't she be putting him to work?”
“She went down to stop the messenger's from turning up any more gifts.” Havoc pointed lazily at the desk, which held more bouquets and heart shaped boxes then it did the normal paperwork. Even his chair held up its share.
“Maybe I should come back later then…”
“Fullmetal! Get out here!” Too late, Mustang had noticed him. “Your report better be readable!”
“Good luck chief.” Havoc slapped him on the back, pushing a box into his arms. “Peace offering.” He called over his shoulder before hightailing it out of the office with the door slamming.
Fumbling with the box and his report, Edward worked his way to the window, snarling under his breath about bastard Generals and his height. “Here!” He tossed the box into one of the metal chairs beside Mustang and dropped into another one after kicking an empty box from it. Knowing that Mustang would probably want him around for questions, smarky remarks and any thing that popped into his head, he handed over the report and closed his eyes.
Grunting, Roy took it. Flipping it open, he held on hand onto the bottom of the report so he could read it. Al's writing filled the page; apparently Edward had gotten him to rewrite the report after he had written it up. Shaking his head, he wondered how someone who could draw circles so well, among other things when inspiration hit him, but couldn't write worth shit.
“No damage this time?” He mused, the earlier anger leeching away as he took in the other's company. The day hadn't been kind to the short man either, as stress and worry lines marred his handsome face.
“Nah, wasn't in the mood to get a lecture.” Edward replied. “I put things to rights before I left Reys.” He stretched out in the metal chair, laying his feet out in front of him before he laced his fingers behind his head. Closing his eyes, he, for all appearances, went to sleep.
Roy went on with reading, sneaking a glance from time to time to the small blonde. He had grown up, at the age of 21 he had filled out in his shoulders and chest, and his long gold hair had grown down to his waist. His boyish face had sharpened to leave the strong jaw line and nose. He no longer looked like a feminine boy but an elegant male that knew exactly what he wanted from the world.
Grunting, he took another hand full of cards and threw them into the air, waiting until they had spread apart and fluttered a bit before snapping his fingers.
“Why are you doing that?”
Flicking an eye in his direction, Roy shrugged even though Edward couldn't see it. He couldn't really say that they weren't from the one person he wanted them to be from and most of them were boarding on hysterical stalking. Several proclaimed years of love, one a death threat. “Makes me feel better.” He finally said, going back to reading his report.
Several moments of silence, which is odd for the two of them, followed after that. Mostly they fought and screamed at each other, but this silence was almost…comradely. They were sharing something with the other they weren't ready to admit to themselves.
“What's this mean?” Roy asked, turning the paper around so that Edward could read it. Cracking an eye, he held it to his face before turning pink. The note that he had written that blasted date on had snuck into his report folder and Al had written it onto the bottom of the last page. Luckily it was in pencil and he had placed a question mark after it. `Black Tone, 7 o'clock. Feb. 14'
“Ahh—do you need to know?”
“Fullmetal.” The warning note in his voice did not leave room for arguments. “Does this have to do with the case?”
“No, not at all.” Clapping his hands, he erased the note with one finger. A small amount of fine dust fell from the paper, but nothing remained.
“Then why is it in the report?” Roy glared at him, waving the offending paper in front of his nose.
“Al must have done it!” Edward screeched back indignantly, then pointed at the paper. “I fixed it bastard!”
“What exactly was it then?” He thought about the note, scowled. Quickly he rearranged his face to resemble the smirk that Edward expected. Mustn't show his weakness. “A date is it? Who's the lucky girl?” The mechanic perhaps?
No!” Edward yelped, turning bright red. He went right through embarrassed and into Elric temper tantrum. “I owe someone a favor and they're collecting is all.”
Now it was his turn to blush. Surely he was referring to sex?! “Ed?”
“Pervert, that's not it.” He rolled his shoulders and stood, slapping the report shut. “We done?”
“No, what is it then?”
“Show up and figure it out if you like.” Ed turned, stalking from the room.
“I just might.”