Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Fullpersocom Cardcaptor ❯ Awakening and Ed's Monologue ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"My! It looks just like him!" cried Sakura with glee. Minoru truly was an artist, technology was his medium. She walked over and ran her finger through the persocom's hair. It felt real, like it had come strait from his head. Each eyelash was delicately placed, hair by hair and the synthetic skin had individual pores. She ran her hand along the cold metal dog-like ears, used as a database and shuddered. That would be her constant reminder of why she was here.
"Persocoms are remarkable. They resemble humans, they think, they reason, they even produce artificial body heat. Their chests move up and down to mimic breathing and they learn. The only thing we haven't acomplished is the reproduction of a convincing human heartbeat." Minoru stated, awestruck even at his own work. If only this was possible when Kaede died. That's why he put the effort he did into recreating Sakura's love. This time, it would be his real memories and soul, instead of just data.
"Shall we turn him on?" he asked. Heart thudding in her chest, Sakura nodded.
Darkness. Voices. New voices. Must be master. Must introduce.
The persocom's eyes thrust themselves open, reading its surroundings.
Time: 5:36:34pm, Sunday. Temperature: 24 degrees celsius, 75 degrees fahrenheit indoors. Master's name: unknown. Requests: none. Appointments: none. Internet search results: none. Emails: none. Phone messages: none.
The persocom sat upright.
"Good afternoon," it stated politely, "What is your name?"
Sakura was slightly taken aback, but stepped forward, "Sakura Kinomoto."
Master's name: Sakura Kinomoto
Sakura
"Sakura, are you hurt?", "Sakura, behind you!", "Ano... Sakura, I-I'd love to go with you to the movies...", "Hang in there, Sakura!", "Sakura!"
"Sakura."
"Sy-Syaoran-kun? Is that you?" the tears she tried to hide came pouring down now. The love she thought she lost was right there. The persocom blinked as Syaoran's soul mingled with the data. Finally, he nodded.
"What happened to me?" he ran his fingers through his hair until they fell on something smooth. It wasn't like before. He couldn't feel the smoothness; something in his head was telling him that it was smooth. Sakura sat down beside him and looked him in the eye.
"What's the last thing you remember?" she took his hand. Hers was slightly rougher than he remembered. She was warn, 37 degrees celsius, 98.6 degrees fahrenheit to be exact. Normal. Syaoran rubbed his forehead. What was all this data? What was it doing inside him?
"Syaoran-kun? Do you remember anything?" Sakura asked again. Syaoran thought about the past.
"Nothing specific. Feelings, images, sounds. None of it makes sense." he replied, tapping the metal ear on the side of his head, "I remember screaming, screeching, crying. I remember pain, white hot... pain. Then it all went away. I felt warm and comfortable. Then I woke up here."
"Do you know what happened to you? When all the pain went away?" Sakura asked, sobbing into her sleeve.
He stared aimlessly for a little as realization set in. "I died." He said in disbelief.
"Uh, maybe I should leave you alone..." began Ed, shuffling his foot across the floor. Sakura grabbed his arm.
"Please don't go!" she looked back to Syaoran, "This is Edward Elric-kun. He's the one that caught your soul," she gestured to Minoru who bowed politely as she introduced him, "And this is Minoru Kokubunji-kun. He built your new body."
"...Built? Wh-what do you mean by that?" Syaoran stammered. If he had a heart, it would've been beating quickly. His hand traveled back to his ears.
"Your current body is one hundred percent mechanical. Your insides, your skin, your hair, your eyes, they're all synthetic. You will soon notice that you will be overwhelmed with thoughts, so to speak, that don't come to humans easily. Especially once we connect you to the internet."
"Wha...?" This was too much for Syaoran to swallow.
"Now, we should go over some maintenancial procedures," continued Minoru as he popped open the small door on the bottom of Syaoran's ear, "First off, you must remember that you're not human anymore. You are dead. Your history, your life, your hard work is gone. It will never come back no matter how hard you pretend it to be there. You are starting on a blank slate with only your memories to guide you.
"Now, let's try a few things out, shall we?"

Syaoran tugged at the cable line as it unraveled from inside his head. An interesting experience to say the least.
"That came from inside me?" he asked as Minoru pluged him in. In an instant, dozens of images, sounds, and information flooded his mind.
"Syaoran, look up Basic Persocom Maitenance for me, please." requested Minoru. Syaoran suddenly went blind as his eyes blocked out the scene around him. Thousands of images passed his gaze, data slipping in and out of his mind at lightning speeds. Words, languages, things he didn't understand, yet his persocom half could comprehend perfectly. So many voices, so many messages, so many feelings of humans shairing their knowledge all over the world and they were all flashing past Syaoran's eyes at once. He was frightened. He wanted to scream, he did scream. A sharp metalic sound, like an electronic charging up mingled with his own human scream. Another part of his sensors alerted him that someone had rested their hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. It only made it worse. He felt like he could explode with everything at once, when it stopped. A soft green number flashed in front of his eyes.
"Six thousand four hundred twenty nine matches found for Basic Persocom Maitenance," Syaoran stated. A list of possible website choices appeared.
"Thank you," said Minoru, "End the search."
Syaoran's vision returned as the screen went blank, leaving him blinking.
"Syaoran-kun... Are you all right?" Sakura asked, resting her hand on his knee.
"Please don't touch me," he replied, pushing her hand away, "I don't ever want to do that again. I can't do that again!"
"That's only one of the numerous functions a persocom can do. Your old life is over, you died." Minoru bluntly remindeded them, "There is nothing human about you anymore."
Ed stood up quickly, "That's not true!" he yelled angrilly.
"Elric-kun..." breathed Sakura.
"I've seen people like him! I've seen their pain and their suffering and their need to be like us! We'll never understand just how much they hurt! You can't judge humanity by whatever shell carries their soul!" Ed continued, nearly to tears. He thrust his right sleeve up, the flames from the fireplace reflecting in the cold metal that made up his arm. Sakura gasped, her heart beating a little faster. "I only have a whiff of what they go through. I can't feel warmth or coldness, or even if something is soft or hard in this hand. It's frustrating at times, but I look at people like Syaoran and I know I don't have it a fourth as bad as they do. So, tell me. Does this arm," he slapped his other hand down on his left leg, "And this leg make me any less human than you?"
Minoru was silent as he gazed at Ed's mechanicle body parts.
"Answer me, damnit!"
"No," he said finally. "Forgive me. It's been a struggle before. Deciphering humans from persocoms, that is. I've delt with persocoms of all kinds, even ones that were 'almost-human' and in my mind, I had to detatch them from humanity entirely. Again, I'm sorry. You should be treated with more respect, the both of you."
Ed nodded and turned to Syaoran, "I think there's someone you'll want to meet!"