Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Future Memories ❯ Mother ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-
Future Memories
-
Chapter Two
-
-
Mother
-
-
Major Edward Elric, State Alchemist, opened his eyes. When they focused, he saw a wooden ceiling come into view, and thought that it looked… familiar… in some way…
 
The smell in the air brought a confused nostalgic feeling, and he couldn't think why that would be… Suddenly, he became aware of the hard wood beneath his back, and groaned before sitting up. When the rest of the room came into view, Ed thought his heart would stop.
 
He recognized the room. It was the one in the back of the house. The one his mother always sent him to when he was in trouble; as if it was ever really a punishment. He always sneaked books in and stayed there for hours…
 
It was his house.
 
His house!
 
The one he and Al had burned down!
 
When he turned and looked behind him, he got another shock. A large and complicated alchemy array was drawn on the floor, but that wasn't the biggest surprise. There was not one, but two, Roy Mustangs lying on top of the chalk drawing.
 
Swallowing hard, the short blond walked over to the two men, and looked them over. He'd say there was, perhaps, a ten year difference between the two, but it was obvious that the older one was definitely his Mustang.
 
He grinned at the thought. His Mustang.
 
Yes, the man was his alright, but this wasn't the time or the place to think about those things. Right now he had a mystery to solve. One that involved his lover, a man who looked ten years younger than his superior officer, a complex alchemy circle, and a house that should have been burnt down.
 
He frowned, unsure if he should wake the other two men or not. They were obviously the same person… how would they react to such a phenomenon? Not well, he supposed. Conceited men liked to think they were one of a kind…
 
It was then that a thought occurred to him.
 
If the Colonel was here, and there was a man who looked like him there, then…
 
Ed looked around. When he saw no one else he decided to take a look outside the room, and let the two men sleep for the time being.
 
Silently, Ed slipped through the door, and shut it softly behind him.
 
Nostalgia flooded him as he left the back room behind him. It was his house alright. He remembered all the boards of this house, and the smell… It smelled like his mother's cooking… Maybe he was dead… Maybe this was heaven… If so, the only thing that was missing was…
 
“Al!” A child yelled.
 
Ed blinked, and thought that was exactly right. The only thing that was missing was Al…and his mother…
 
“Al!” Came another shout, then he heard running footsteps above him and giggling.
 
A lump formed in his throat. It was all almost too much; the memories overpowering his mind, body and heart. It was real… It was all so incredibly real…
 
“So you're awake…” A musical female voice chimed behind him. His breath caught in his throat, and his heart skipped a beat. He knew that voice. He could never forget it. Slowly he turned around and saw the image that lived only in his most beautiful dreams…
 
In his dreams…
 
… and here.
 
Her delicate features pulled into a frown. “Are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost.”
 
I have...
 
He opened his mouth to speak, but the words failed him and he could only make a weak croaking noise. It was her. It was her.
 
Her eyes studied him curiously as she smiled gently, then beckoned for him to follow her. “Dinner is almost done. Are you hungry?”
 
He nodded silently. Ed couldn't seem to break his gaze away from her, and he felt like he was in shock.
 
“What about the other two? Are they awake yet?”
 
He shook his head.
 
“Oh I see… I wonder if we should wake them…” She looked at him questioningly, and he shook his head again. They'd wake soon enough. Right now he wanted this time alone with her…
 
With his mother.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
Trisha held the young teenager's eyes for a long time. She knew that even when she broke eye contact, he wouldn't look away from her. His stare was that focused.
 
He was her son.
 
He had to be.
 
Somehow, this boy was her Edward, only older. Not only did they look the same, but the mannerisms were the same too. She didn't know what her little boy had done, but it seemed he had reached into the future and plucked the teenager, and the military officer from the future.
 
The thought was overwhelming in a way. People from the future? It just sounded so ridiculous, but she'd had time during the past few hours to get over her shock. Really, she thought she was taking it all quite well.
 
Strange as it seemed, here was her little boy… not so little anymore… How old was he? What was happening in his life? She had so many questions.
 
He opened his mouth, closed it, then opened it again as if he wanted to say something. The look of utter disbelief and longing that radiated from his eyes made her heart ache. Why was he staring at her like that? What was wrong? She did the only thing she could think of and opened her arms out to him.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
Ed watched as his mother spread her arms. He wanted so much to be held in her embrace, but what if she disappeared the moment he touched her? What if this was a dream? It should be… with two Mustangs, and his house, and his mother…
 
If it was a dream, he didn't want it to end.
 
“Edward?” She asked softly.
 
He swallowed hard, and hesitantly walked toward her. His lip quivered slightly, and tears burned in his eyes. Was it really her? He looked deep into her eyes hoping to find the answer.
 
“Mom?” He whispered, voice shaking.
 
Her face pulled into a gentle smile, and she nodded.
 
As if in a trance, he stepped into her embrace, resting his head against her shoulder. He couldn't remember the last time he had felt so loved and protected. A warm feeling spread through his body as she wrapped her arms tightly around him. He closed his eyes, and two fat tears trickled heavily down his cheeks. Wrapping his arms around her, he held her as tightly as she held him.
 
“It's alright…” She soothed the way only a mother could sooth, and stroked his hair. “It's alright… I just can't believe how grown up you are, Edward. You've just gotten so tall, soon you'll be taller than me, I'm sure of it.”
 
He grinned happily, and snuggled deeper into the hug. His mom always had the best things to say.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
When they broke the embrace, she smiled at him and said, “Why don't you take a seat at the table. I'm going to get the boys to come down.” When he nodded and sat, she called, “Boys! Come and eat!” There was a sudden flurry of excitement as the sound of running footsteps above them came stomping down the stairs and into the kitchen.
 
Her two little boys stopped and stared that the stranger. “It's okay boys. He's going to be staying with us for a little while.”
 
She smiled when the older boy looked up at her hopefully.
 
Edward was the first to get over his surprise and sat down next to the blond teenager. “I'm Edward and this is my little brother Alphonse.” He said, pointing to the younger boy who was seating himself next to his seven year old brother.
 
The teen nodded and stared at them in amazement, though oddly he stared more at Alphonse more than Edward. Trisha would have thought that if she could see herself younger she wouldn't be able to take her eyes off of the other person that was her...
 
“So? What's your name?” Her little Edward asked.
 
The teen cleared his throat and croaked out, “Ed.”
 
“Hey, just like you're name brother!” Alphonse said in surprise to the younger Edward.
 
“Neat!” Edward exclaimed.
 
When she set the bread and stew in front of the boys, her two little ones dug in immediately. The older boy took his time by smelling the stew, then bringing the spoon hesitantly to his mouth. After he'd taken his first bit she asked, “Is it alright?”
 
He nodded, and she thought she saw tears in his eyes again. “It's… it's great. The best ever…”
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
He ate the stew slowly savoring every bite. It was her cooking, and it was wonderful…
 
He eyed the two young boys who were ravenously devouring their food. They were so young… He looked so young… His eyes fell on the six year old Alphonse, and Ed had the sudden urge to grab the boy and hug him. It had been so long since he had seen his brother in the flesh. Even though this boy wasn't his Al, the fourteen year old Al, he was still Ed's brother. He felt himself grin slightly at the pale ink marks of a beard and mustache, and had a feeling his younger self had something to do with that…
 
A voice broke Ed from his thoughts. “Why are you wearing gloves?” Edward asked.
 
Ed grinned ruefully at the young blond and said, “I think they're cool.”
 
The look the boy gave him said, `That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.'
 
Okay, so it was a pretty lame thing to say. It was summer outside after all, he knew because he remembered how the house felt in the summer, but he didn't want to tell the truth; not with her there. He wanted to avoid unpleasant conversation; wanted to avoid anything that would shatter this wonderful moment he was having. Soon the time would come when questions would need to be asked, and truths would need to be told, but not yet. For now he would just enjoy the moment.
 
His mother set another bowl on the table, and sat down to eat.
 
“You know what?” Al said. “You and brother look a lot alike.”
 
Edward looked the teen over carefully, then shook his head. “No we don't.” Ed thought he saw a look of understanding in the little boy's eyes, as if he knew the teenager was his older double, but he couldn't be sure. He decided he would play along with Edward's game, if it was a game, until he knew for sure what the boy knew.
 
Ed nodded. “I guess we do look alike don't we Alphonse...” Then with an evil grin he said, “But I'm taller.”
 
Alphonse laughed while Edward glared at the blond teenager. “I don't think I like you very much.” The boy grumbled, and scooted his chair away.
 
There was silence for a moment then Alphonse asked, “How old are you?”
 
“Fifteen.”
 
Edward raised an eyebrow. “Fifteen? Most of the fifteen year olds I know are a lot taller than you.”
 
Ed glared at the boy, and muttered, “Brat.”
 
“Why did you grow your hair long?” The seven year old asked then said, without giving Ed a chance to answer. “I hate long hair. I wouldn't ever grow my hair long.”
 
Ed laughed. “Yeah right.”
 
The sandy haired six year old leaned forward, and whispered loudly in a conspiratorial voice, “Our dad had long hair, that's why.”
 
“Shut up Alphonse!” Edward shouted, and shoved his brother.
 
“Mooom! Ed pushed me.”
 
“You're such a baby.”
 
“No I'm not!”
 
“Yes you are!”
 
“No I'm not!”
 
“Yes you are!”
 
“No I'm not!”
 
“Yes you are!”
 
“No I'm not!”
 
“Yes you are!”
 
“Boys!” Trisha said sharply. The two kids looked sheepishly down at their bowls, and began eating again.
 
Ed shook his head. He couldn't believe he had ever been so childish. “You should be nice to your little brother.” He said. The seven year old glared, and opened his mouth, showing a glob of half chewed food.
 
“Edward!”
 
“I didn't do any thing.” Both blonds said at the same time.
 
Ed watched as a look of surprise, then amusement passed over his mother's face, before she started laughing.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
Trisha got her self under control and told all three of the boys to eat.
 
Really, she had never seen such a funny sight…
 
The brunette sighed and let her eyes travel over the teenager's face. He looked so much like his father… Trisha felt an ache in her heart and decided to try thinking of something else besides her loss…
 
Fifteen.
 
So this Ed was fifteen? Well, her little Edward was right. Most boys his age were much taller, but then she'd had a feeling Edward would never get very tall. Fifteen… the teenager was eight years older than the younger Edward.
 
That would probably mean that the other man was probably eight years older than the Major. Her brow creased in worry. She had almost forgotten about the military men. What would she do with them? Having an older version of her son in the house was one thing, but she had only met the State Alchemist that day. Should she let him stay until everything was solved…? Or perhaps a better question would be, could she make him stay until everything was solved?
 
It would be for the best, after all it was alchemy that brought them into this mess, and they'd probably need alchemy to take them out again. Her little Edward had most likely copied some array from one of his father's books onto the floor, not knowing what it did…
 
But the young man was a State Alchemist and the older man was too. The two of them should be able to figure something out…
 
 
Well, there it is. Sooner than I thought I'd have time to get it out. :)
 
I hope it wasn't too confusing. Ed will generally refer to the older one, and Edward will generally refer to the younger one, although there may be times when one of the characters refers to the older as Edward and the younger as Ed, but it will only come from another character, not from how they refer to themselves.
 
-
 
PLEASE REVIEW! Remember, happy authors update faster.