Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Hand in my pocket ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah


Edward Elric stood on the railing of the church. An unhealthy habit, one that's gotten him in a lot of trouble, but he felt at peace there. No one was there, excluding Roy, who could call upon him at any moment. That bastard. That bastard with his stupid smile. He couldn't stay mad at Roy, though. That bastard still had feelings. Hughes was his best friend, and when he...passed away...he cried. Sigh. How long has it been since he had gotten this auto mail on his limbs?

I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful baby



Ed put a hand in his pocket, and held his watch. The same watch that declared him a state alchemist. Wow, this totally screams: FEAR ME! Note, the sarcasm. Strange enough, some people who saw that watch were afraid of him...were afraid of anyone with that title. Of course, few feared him. Many befriended him. It was because he refused to be a dog of the military. The Full Metal Alchemist. The people's savior. He worked for the people, not the government. Wasn't he just thinking about the auto mail?


And what it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
'Cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five


Yeah, he was. And about Winry. She's the best, isn't she? Yeah. She's a genius; she can keep secrets really well. She is a little nosy. And she's beyond obsessed with auto mail. But she's kind. And she cares. She is the perfect big sister. There is no one better than her when it comes to family. Well, there is one person...and that person's life he really fucked up. He hadn't meant to. He just wanted to get his mother back for them, so that he wouldn't live without a mother. Ed wanted to make his life worth living, and without a mother...without the care a nurturing love of a mother...what is life? It would have no beginning.


I feel drunk but I'm sober

I'm young and I'm underpaid

I'm tired but I'm working, yeah


Mustang had been working him too much...that bastard. Once in a while though, he did notice Roy "glare" at him a lot. Should a glare look...loving? Oh, who cares? How many years since he had his auto mail? Quite a few, huh? The FullMetal Alchemist. He didn't know if they named him that because of his auto mail, or because of his personality. Most people thought it was the auto mail. Al always thought that he had liked Winry. Oh ho Al, but it is not me who likes Winry, it is you who likes her. He thought, in a cheap French accent. But then, if Ed didn't like Winry...who did he like?

I care but I'm restless

I'm here but I'm really gone

I'm wrong and I'm sorry baby


Well...he is just admitting it to himself right now. No point in holding back from himself, right? Ed kicked at imaginary dirt, and almost lost balance. He liked the one and only womanizer, Roy Mustang. Women loved him, men wanted to be him, and some men wanted to be in him. What would it take for Roy to notice him, dammit? He's not that short. Gah, what was he thinking? Edward decided to focus on a way to bring Al's body back. He found a way, but he'd have to sacrifice someone's life for it. That one pale creepy dude...He'd love to sacrifice him!


What it all comes down to

Is that everything's gonna be quite alright

I've got one hand in my pocket



His hand was still in his pocket, playing around with the watch. It was the stupid watch's fault that he was being chased by Scar. But it was the stupid watch that brought him on some of his best adventures. Sometimes, his job almost seemed like a vacation. And it was kinda fun.

And the other one is flicking a cigarette
And what it all comes down to
Is that I haven't got it all figured out just yet
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving the peace sign

Ed smiled. Through all the trifles, he and his friends had overcome them. There was no reason that Ed couldn’t over come this one. All he had to do was focus, and ask Roy out on a date. That’s all. That’s what he wanted most right now, besides Al’s body back to normal.


I'm free but I'm focused
I'm green but I'm wise
I'm hard but I'm friendly baby

He looked into the sunrise. The sky was painted a wild array of purple, red, pink, and orange, the sun shining above it all, being the big show off of the sky. It looked like something he would love to dive into. Something he’d allow to drift him away to its rainbow (maybe get a pot of gold).


I'm sad but I'm laughing
I'm brave but I'm chicken shit
I'm sick but I'm pretty baby

Ed got off the rail that he was standing on. It was close to the nine, and Roy would be leaving his office soon…not that he stalked Roy to find out, he just kinda knew. He wished he knew what to do after he asked Roy out…maybe dinner and a movie? Nah, too cliché. Maybe a moonlit walk? Roy isn’t a woman, he womanizes them, dammit. Ed sighed, deciding to give up.


And what it all boils down to
Is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
Well, I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is playing the piano

“Fullmetal!” Roy’s voice called shyly.


And what it all comes down to my friends
Is that everything's just fine fine fine

Ed looked back at Roy’s voice.

“Yeah?” He asked.

“I was wondering…you wanna go out with me?” Roy asked nervously.

“You mean, like a date?”

“No, a date.”

“Uh…sure!” Ed smiled.


Roy smiled back, took Ed’s hand, and walked with him to the car. Ed put his other hand in his pocket, and leaned against Roy.


“Ed, those “glares” I’ve been giving you during work…”


“I know Roy.”


Cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is hailing a taxi cab