Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ Get the Gift Then Get Home ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Eighteen: Get the Gift Then Get Home
I walked out to the front desk and told them my change in plans. Instead of being upset the woman was happy. It seemed her mother in-law needed somewhere to stay, other than their house. I'd clear out of the room before five that evening when the husband's mother would be arriving.
I ran to the pound that was just opening. “Hello. Why, you seem to be in a rush.” The young girl greeted, who'd just unlocked the door.
“Yep, I need to adopt a kitten.” I looked around at the cages in the front room where the counter was. I would've needed to get them fixed overnight but now there wouldn't be any time.
“I'm sorry but we only have one cat.” She apologized, showing me the cage.
Inside sat a thin gray female. She looked as if she'd been out on the streets for quite some time. “She came here about a month ago. Someone just left her on our front step.” The worker was shaking her head sadly. “We can't keep her much longer.”
“Ya'll have to put her down?” I asked looking at the girl who nodded. “How sad.” I shook my head and looked back at the cat. I'd wanted to get Al a kitten, but this feline needed a home, and soon.
“I'll take her.” I finally agreed.
The worker seemed to brighten. “Wonderful! She's already been fixed and is housebroken. All she needs is some love and she'll make a wonderful pet.”
I nodded then paid for the cat. The young girl placed her in a small box. The cat only mewed a few times before curling up.
The next stop was `Pet and Fluff', a place where they groomed dogs and cats. I dropped her off then headed for the pet store.
Rushing in, I found an attendant. “I need supplies for a cat.” I explained, almost out of breath.
“Any particular kind or brand?” He didn't bother to look at me, but continued flipping through a magazine.
I was running out of time and patience. “Look boy! I've gotta get this stuff bought and pick up the cat. Then I have to ride for hours with her on a train. Are ya going to help me or not!”
His eyes were wide and he'd dropped the magazine. “Yes mama!”
I ended up getting a carrying cage, bed, litter box with litter, food, a collar, dishes, toys, and grooming supplies. By the time I got out of there Al's gift was finished with her primping.
“Is that my cat?” I questioned, looking unbelieving at a beautiful gray feline that sat before me licking her paw.
“Why yes. All she needed was a little fixing up.” The man who had been taking care of her smiled proudly at his work.
I thanked him while putting her into the carrier. Then I paid him, along with a little extra for good measure.
As I made it back to the hotel I thought of the toolbox I'd also be carrying. At the front desk I asked if there was anyone who could help me.
The owner's children were all too happy to earn some extra money. We rushed to the train station. I made it aboard with little time spare. The cat which I had begun calling Duchess sat beside me in her crate. She mewed softly but for the most part stayed quiet.
The countryside passed by the window slowly. I was tired from all rushing around I had done. It would be close to eight before I'd make it to town. Then I'd still have to try and get all these gifts home. `Why did I buy so much, and how am I gonna get it to the house?'
“Lorna? Lorna McJoy?” A man questioned, as he walked up the isle of the train. “You know me, I'm Nate.” He reached out and I shook his hand.
“Nate?” I questioned. I was too tired and besides that I'd never been good with names.
“You know from Lakeside?” I nodded as he took a seat.
`Oh yeah Lakeside.' I'd lived there for two months in a small apartment. Nate had lived next door and worked for the main newspaper.
“It's nice to see you again.” I greeted smiling a little.
“Where you going? I'm getting off at the next stop.” He was watching me closely.
“Really? I live there now.” I mentioned. My elbow was propped against the window trying to keep my head up.
“I was wondering where you'd gotten to.” His smile was warm, “I just got a place there, a small apartment in town. How about you?”
“I live just outside of town with a couple of brothers and a girl mechanic.” I sat up now.
Nate was a nice guy and had connections. If he was in my town it would help with spreading my writings.
“Maybe I could walk you home.” He offered patting the cat's carrier.
“Well I've got a lot of packages for Christmas.” I frowned, “But I could use the help, if you wouldn't mind.”
“I'd love to help.” He stated. “I'll be spending this Christmas alone. Trina broke up with me.”
I frowned. I didn't like the thought of anyone being alone on Christmas. “Well, we're having a big lunch Christmas Day. Maybe you could come over.”
He brightened. “Are you sure I wouldn't be imposing?”
I shook my head, “Naw, we're opening gifts tomorrow morning.” I patted the cat box. “She's kinda hard to hide.”
Duchess mewed from within her box. “Yes I can see where that would be a problem.” He smiled, looking in at her. “Hey kitty, you're gonna make a wonderful gift aren't you?”
I leaned back. `Good, now I got a luggage boy I'll have to pay with Christmas dinner.' I thought back to all the times mom had brought home extra company for the holidays.
Author's Notes
Nate: So I'm the new main man?
Lorna: Rolls eyes
Joy: No, you're just here for the sake of creating conflict.
Lorna: Looks at Joy with big eyes Does he have to?
Joy: Yes, why do you think the next chapter is Jealousy?
Lorna: Moans