Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Skip the Little Ones ❯ Theme 1: Military Personnel ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Other then the above… I'm trying to make each one of these like scrapped scenes, instead of working on scenes on scenes that have, in my opinion, been over-fanfic'ed (Not that there's anything wrong with that). I'll probably break this rule (some of the Royai moments are TOO good to be left alone) but I'll try not to. I will try to update regularly, but it IS test season, so I will make no guarantees until the end of this month, at least. Now that I'm done boring you, please read and enjoy!!
 
Theme 1: Military Personnel
A War of Innocence
 
Roy Mustang suppressed a sigh as he watched the stern-faced woman lecture his team, among other squadrons, in the small auditorium at Eastern headquarters. She had been sent by Central to review sexual harassment policies with all the military personnel in Eastern, meaning that there would be several of these meetings throughout the next two weeks. While Mustang's men were not obliged to go to all of them, Mustang himself was. Today's was an impossibly boring lecture, and Mustang, though relieved to not be doing paperwork, had reached a level of boredom that could only be described as impressive. He inconspicuously looked around the room. Most of the other soldiers in attendance were also not paying much heed to the woman's lecture. Sure, they were all sitting up straight, eyes forward, but he could tell that their attention had wandered.
 
“-rassment is defined as any inappropriate touching, comments…”
 
Something brushed against his hand, and he glanced that way. First Lieutenant Hawkeye was sitting to his right, and it was she who had gently touched his hand. He has been unconsciously playing with one of the buttons on his uniform, and Hawkeye's touch had effectively stopped him.
 
Riza, Riza, Riza Hawkeye, Mustang thought as a source for amusement came into his mind. When the lecturer wasn't looking, he reached out, quick as a snake, and poked her in the side.
 
Her reaction was interesting. The indomitable Lieutenant jumped all of three centimeters, squirmed a negligible amount, and then shot him her notorious death glare. Mustang gazed at the presenter innocently, ignoring her gaze. Hawkeye turned back forward.
 
The second the strict Major something-or-other turned her back, he poked Hawkeye's side again. This time, only her eyebrow twitched. He tried not to grin; they had gotten into little poke wars like this when they were children, and he could remember always being the one to start the battles, goading her into playing, too, just like he was now. Of course, those battles had always been innocent, never involving the bloodshed and pain of … He put that from his mind. The period of their poke wars had been short, from a time before all the tragedy had started… Again, Mustang shrugged away the thought.
 
Poke. Poke. Poke.
 
Even though the Lieutenant refused to look at him, refused to so much as twitch when he poked her, Mustang knew exactly what she was thinking: Don't do it, don't do it. I refuse to play his game. I will NOT poke him, I will not I won't That's it! I'm poking him!
 
Mustang winced when she vengefully poked him, forcefully reminded that she wasn't like any of his polished-and-perfumed flings. He resisted the urge to rub the bruise now forming beneath his jacket.
 
Poke. Poke. Poke, poke, poke, poke, poke…
 
“…and MILITARY PERSONNEL should NOT participate in such juvenile GAMES, especially when confronted with VITAL INFORMATION!”
 
Mustang and Hawkeye turned back to the presenter. He face was beginning to turn red and she had her fists clenched to her sides.
 
Hawkeye rose smoothly from her seat. “I must apologize,” she started formally. “The Colonel was simply reminding me that I had some important paperwork that needed to be filed. If you would excuse me…?” And with a salute, she left the auditorium.
 
Mustang watched her go, and then returned his attention to the presenter. “I'm sorry. What were you saying about information?” The corners of his mouth twitched towards a smirk as the Major sputtered angrily for a moment, and then returned to her lecture. He settled back in his chair, a slight frown quickly settling on his face. Now what am I supposed to do? I never thought I'd wish for paper work again.